Home

Growing Brussel Sprouts

Posted By: Eagleye

Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 12:45 PM

I put-in a few Brussel Sprout plants this year, I remember as a kid there was always bugs on them and it didn't matter to me, because - I wasn't about to eat them back then anyway.
I put some netting over to try and exclude cabbage moths- any growing tips or advice for bug prevention or higher success rates and yields?
I wouldn't mind doing it on a larger scale next year if I succeed.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 12:53 PM

We had no bugs on ours...first time growing them last year.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 02:04 PM

I hate brussel sprouts, the smell, taste, all of them, my wife loves them. Will follow this for her.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 03:27 PM

I'fn it was me I would get that plastic off of them. They are kind of a cool weather crop and they taste better after a couple good frosts in the fall.
They are going to get pretty hot in that plastic.
If cabbage loopers are a problem spray them with BT (bacillus thuringiensis) It is a natural bacteria that puts them out of business quickly and safely.
You can use it on all cabbage family crops, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc.

Zim
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
I hate brussel sprouts, the smell, taste, all of them, my wife loves them. Will follow this for her.

Totally agree I am going on 70 I never could get past the smell and look of them in the serving dish . And I would go to bed hungry before eating them
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 06:06 PM

[quote=Zim]I'fn it was me I would get that plastic off of them. They are kind of a cool weather crop and they taste better after a couple good frosts in the fall.
If cabbage loopers are a problem spray them with BT (bacillus thuringiensis) It is a natural bacteria that puts them out of business quickly and safely.
You can use it on all cabbage family crops, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc.

Zim,
It's just netting- no plastic
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 06:59 PM

I'm with Zim...

I hated them as a kid because my mom always bought the biggest ones and overcooked them. Ever since I grew my own or bought small ones... I love them.

I never had any issues with bugs.

Good luck,

Pete
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
I'fn it was me I would get that plastic off of them. They are kind of a cool weather crop and they taste better after a couple good frosts in the fall.

Zim

Good post. That's what I sprayed them with when I raised them.
My favorite vegetables are in this order: Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, and Cabbage.
Posted By: charles

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 07:52 PM

I have 16 plants in my garden. Sure are slow to mature. My buds are about the size of a 00 buckshot. When will they grow to maturity?
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 07:54 PM

Growing them is easy. Choking them down is another story.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 07:58 PM

Watch some Youtube videos on growing them. From what I gathered you need to prune the lower leaves aggressively and just leave enough foiliage on top to gather energy from the sun. We grew some last winter in Florida and had some success but it was still too hot. We had to do the container thing and it's just too dang hot here.
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 11:16 PM

This guy does a really good job explaining.

Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 11:16 PM

Feed them A LOT!!

Water them A LOT!!!
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Growing Brussel Sprouts - 06/27/22 11:56 PM

I tried using floating row cover , it works , I'm trying to stay away from sprays .
Keep on the north side of a building , they get plenty of sun until late August , and then they get cooler .

I never knew about pruning the leaves , but it makes sense .
If you try the floating row cover get the 10 foot wide one , I use 10 foot pieces of 1/2 inch pvc pipe stuck in the ground to form a half hoop .
Fits perfect in a 4 foot wide raised bed . I use it for all my cabbage family plants .
I don't buy from Amazon any more , do a search for the best price in your area.

https://www.amazon.com/Valibe-Cover...p;hvtargid=pla-4583795267135106&th=1
© 2024 Trapperman Forums