Home

Otter avoiding traps?

Posted By: trapperroscoe

Otter avoiding traps? - 06/27/22 05:52 PM

I am trying to get my first otter this year. I have some duke 160s I plan on using. If the traps are not dyed will otter avoid them? Thank you
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/27/22 06:17 PM

No they will not avoid them, now on to your trap choice...........

160's are on the smaller side. Never used the dukes before so cannot speak to the spring strength but sure others will. Would anchor it with cable and swivels.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/27/22 06:18 PM

Knowing if you are trapping on land or water would be helpful.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/27/22 06:20 PM

I've only trapped 5, but 4 were in 330's and one in a 280. All traps were spray painted dark brown, in the water.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/27/22 06:44 PM

330, 220, and cable restraint worked for me. Rusted, dyed, New trap, and gray cable didn't seem to matter.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/27/22 06:47 PM

The smallest trap I would use for otter would be a 220BG, IMO a 330-size trap is a poor choice for otter also unless it is maintained fully submerged. For fast moving otter’s a 330-size trap quite often closes on them to far back resulting in poor hip catches that does not dispatch them quickly. My experience with the smaller 280 is that it closes faster and results in fewer, if any, poor catches. The 280 will also capture more of the incidental mink and muskrats that often trigger 330 beaver and otter sets without getting caught. Thus, it is the ultimate otter trap IMO.
Dying your traps is not necessary but it does protect them rusting.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/27/22 07:30 PM

And dying traps makes them faster. Otters will most certainly avoid body grip traps above land and even in the water sometimes. I have some watersheds that otter are darn hard to catch with any body grip except in the best crossovers. Other places and you don't even need to disguise your trap and they'll go right through. All in all if otter have seen one of their buddies get whacked they learn fast.

And finally, 160's are too small for otter. As noted above 220 is the smallest that will reliably take them.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/27/22 08:28 PM

160's and even 120's set for rats or mink will kill otter humanely.But they are not an otter trap.
You are limiting yourself to specific set locations by using those small traps for otter.
220 is an otter trap.
330's are a humane otter trap when set submerged.
280 is an odd sized trap,I own about 8 of them but I dont set them unless I run out of 330's for beaver or 220's for otter. A 280 will take otter humanely also.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 12:29 AM

A 160 Belisle will dispatch an otter as well as a run of the mill 220. They will also dispatch your hand pretty good. If all I had was Belisle 160s, I wouldn't hesitate to use them, but I would rather have a 220 of any make just to give them a bigger hole to aim for.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 04:21 AM

The 160 trap may be legal for otter in the states but is not legal for otter in Canada.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 07:55 AM

No one said it yet so I will for good measure just in case. DON'T WAX YOUR BODY GRIPS!
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 09:23 AM

If trapping strictly for otter use the 280, I have caught dozens in 330s and even one in a 110 but the 280 is for otter.
Posted By: mole

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 10:33 AM

Not an expert but I like 280 size trap when targeting otter. I have had them power out of 330 size. have caught them in 220 size but there again a beaver might show up first and I dont care for 220 and beaver. just my feelings.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 01:57 PM

I am still learning, but have gotten 6 otters now while beaver trapping with 330s. They were all caught far back. One actually pulled the stake but I found him and my trap at the bottom of the creek. Had another actually get out of the trap. Maybe 330s not ideal but still do the job?

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
I am still learning, but have gotten 6 otters now while beaver trapping with 330s. They were all caught far back. One actually pulled the stake but I found him and my trap at the bottom of the creek. Had another actually get out of the trap. Maybe 330s not ideal but still do the job?

Same stage in the otter trapping game, I've had 4 in 330's, one was suitcased, 3 were neck caught. One in a belisle 280 was hip caught in water just deep enough to cover the trap, that one chewed some wood stakes before expiring.
I do make sure the 330 triggers are tuned for about an inch or so of movement at the wire tips before firing. Maybe that helps?
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 02:53 PM

I don't routinely target otter as I am
first and foremost a muskrat trapper.

I have caught around a dozen otter
incidentally in single spring #160's
set for muskrat.

All were stone dead caught behind the ears
and apparently humanely dispatched.

That being said, I would not intentionally set
a #160 sized trap for otter.

walleyed.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 03:33 PM

I have caught many hundreds of otters over the years. Most in 330's which is my go-to beaver set up. Most were humane catches and even the suitcased or hip-caughts usually drowned shortly after being caught; therefore humane catches.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/28/22 03:53 PM

Along with everyone else, I agree the 160 is too small for otter. 220 is OK, I've caught some in 220s. But, I prefer a 330 for otter. You can tune the 330 to fire faster by filing the dog. I think there used to be something in the archives about that. I found setting a tuned 330 with the trigger wires on the bottom it's hard for an otter to not fire the trap. I've never had an otter pull out of a Belisle Super X. In fact, I caught two in one Belisle once years ago. I think I posted the photo on Tman back then.

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/30/22 03:53 PM

Wow! Thank you all for all the great advice. I really appreciate the responses. I do believe last time I checked 220 are illigal to set in trails in minnesota on public land. Any ideas how to overcome this issue. Ours have to be recessed somewhat. Thank you
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/30/22 04:01 PM

# 280 is best size for otter.

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 06/30/22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by trapperroscoe
Wow! Thank you all for all the great advice. I really appreciate the responses. I do believe last time I checked 220 are illigal to set in trails in minnesota on public land. Any ideas how to overcome this issue. Ours have to be recessed somewhat. Thank you

Can you set in the water?

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 07/01/22 07:50 PM

But would I magnum 160 work if I can’t have anything bigger than that out in mn?

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 07/01/22 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by trapperroscoe
But would I magnum 160 work if I can’t have anything bigger than that out in mn?

That's a tough question to answer honestly. It might work fine most of the time, it might fail miserably other times. Can you set foot holds for otter on dry land there?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 07/02/22 03:57 AM

[Linked Image]

Otter in a 160 set for mink.
Posted By: eedup

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 07/02/22 04:47 AM

You mentioned duke 160 earlier they don't come in magnum. I've caught several otter in belilse 160s in Arkansas (largest allowed on land). Anchor them well ! Will it work yes is it the best choice no. You could run number 11's.. again anchor all otter traps well they will test your anchoring system big time. What part Minnesota you in ? I'd run 330's.
Posted By: eedup

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 07/02/22 05:00 AM

I run mostly 330s with triggers on the bottom partially submerged(ark). Fully submerged I run triggers on top. I have ton of 280s but never reach for them, 330 does the job just fine.

Are most of you who say 330 catches otter too far back actually having them push their heads out ? I mean they should be suitcased but only have the back half in. I see this quite a bit. I catch 30-60 otter/yr. doing bvr control. At today's prices I'd like to avoid more of them but I love my body grips too much.

Sorry to hi Jack your post

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 07/02/22 08:46 PM

I was going to buy some Bridget 160s

Re: Otter avoiding traps? - 07/02/22 08:47 PM

I could do that but I think bird and deer hunters would shoot them if they see them alive.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums