Home

Bird Song Identification

Posted By: Tray

Bird Song Identification - 06/27/22 07:16 PM

There is a new App for IDing bird songs that’s really easy and fun to use. If you are a serious birder or just a nature lover and want to ID the birds singing around you this App is the ticket.
App is called Merlin and it’s free. I’ve been testing it for about a month and have been very surprised at the accuracy of picking out bird songs, it’s been about 98% accurate but do occasionally throw out a oddball ID.
This is really a good tool for learning bird songs. I’ve attached a couple screen shots from my phone showing the app, first is a picture of the Home Screen and second is a field ID sample that I ran. I ran the sound ID app for about 2 minutes and this is a list of the birds that it picked up.

Best part is the App is Free!

Attached picture D6365967-FD97-426D-9AA3-63A6F1A7E36F.jpeg
Attached picture 8A6335F2-4AC9-4644-BDCE-5AEEB64CAB81.jpeg
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Bird Song Identification - 06/27/22 09:14 PM

Love that app. Started using it when I sit on the back patio having coffee in the morning. Up to 53 different birds it has identified by their songs. Starting to recognize the different songs without the app a little now.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Bird Song Identification - 06/27/22 09:17 PM

Excellent app, Tray. I've used it a long time. Jonathan liked it, too, I believe.

Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Bird Song Identification - 06/27/22 09:28 PM

I know lots of birders that use it. I can't, simply because my ears are junk!
Posted By: Tray

Re: Bird Song Identification - 06/27/22 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
I know lots of birders that use it. I can't, simply because my ears are junk!

One of the reasons I was using it was to test my ears, I run a Breeding Bird Survey every spring which requires a person to identify all birds singing within earshot at every stop. I wanted to know if I was missing sounds which I found I wasn’t yet.
It’s nice to use even if you can’t hear the sounds as it gives a person a idea what is around they should be looking for.

The Merlin app has been around a while but the sound ID feature is fairly new (probably about a year old)
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Bird Song Identification - 06/28/22 12:09 AM

It really is a great app!
Posted By: run

Re: Bird Song Identification - 06/28/22 11:09 AM

Nice!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums