Home

Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 10:12 PM

My wife, sons, colleagues, and friends planned and organized a retirement dinner for me that was held last Saturday evening. About 150 people came out to share this special evening with me and my family.

The Sheriff awarded me my patrol rifle that the county purchased for me more than 15 years ago.

My former Captain and the State of Ga awarded me my service weapon.

My former work unit officers that I've supervised gathered my career badges, pins, patches, and a shirt and had an outstanding shadow box made.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation awarded me with an appreciation certificate for service to their agency.

I am humbled and got a bit choked up that evening with all the comments and "war" stories from fellow LE and friends. It was a fantastic, but bittersweet event. I'm sure gonna miss working with those guys!

Thought I'd share this with y'all here on Tman.

Now, got 2 beaver jobs to start on later this week.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 10:15 PM

Thank you for your service to our State. Congrats and it looks like they sent you off with honors. Enjoy your retirement and get to trapping and posting!!!
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 10:17 PM

Nice!

I've been retired 6 months, still get up at 0500.
But now I do.what I want to do!

I don't miss the job, much, but do.miss some of the folks I worked with.

Enjoy, you've earned it!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Thank you for your service to our State. Congrats and it looks like they sent you off with honors. Enjoy your retirement and get to trapping and posting!!!

Thank you WB!!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP
Nice!

I've been retired 6 months, still get up at 0500.
But now I do.what I want to do!

I don't miss the job, much, but do.miss some of the folks I worked with.

Enjoy, you've earned it!

Thank you DaveP!
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 10:31 PM

Congrats Swamp..!
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 10:35 PM

Awesome, congratulations
Posted By: Savell

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 11:44 PM

Congratulations... I guess lol
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/27/22 11:50 PM

That's very cool! Gotta be nice to know all those folks think enough of you to do all that.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:02 AM

Congrats Swamp Wolf, Enjoy every minute & thanks for your contributions to wildlife.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:18 AM

Congrats Swampy.
You only worked there since 96?
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:20 AM

Congratulations
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:21 AM

very nice. I am jealous. Told my boss I was thinking about retiring and he gave me a raise to stay. I am going to show him this and tell him I want guns too grin

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by grumley701
Congrats Swamp..!

Originally Posted by la4wd54
Awesome, congratulations

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Congrats Swamp Wolf, Enjoy every minute & thanks for your contributions to wildlife.

Originally Posted by mississippiposse
Congratulations

THANKS!!!

It has been a great climb to the top of this mountain!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
Congratulations... I guess lol

Thank you! I guess....lol

No, really...Thank you Savell!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Congrats Swampy.
You only worked there since 96?

Yes....26 yrs 5 months.

29 yrs 7 months credible state service.

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
very nice. I am jealous. Told my boss I was thinking about retiring and he gave me a raise to stay. I am going to show him this and tell him I want guns too grin

I hear ya Danny!

My arsenal has increased by 3 long guns and 1 handgun in the past several days.

I was awarded a Henry .22 lever action by the NWTF a couple weeks ago and the state allowed me to purchase the Rem 870 magnum 12 ga (with rifle sights) that Ive carried for my entire career for only $209....so I did!

Ive been blessed 4 sure!
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:46 AM

Congrats Swamp! Enjoy your retirement, you earned it!

John

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
That's very cool! Gotta be nice to know all those folks think enough of you to do all that.

Yes trapdog1.......Im blessed to have met a lot of great people (both law enforcement and citizens) along the way.

Ive always treated people like I would like to be treated...its the only way I've known and what Ive tried to instill in my officers.

I barely made it thru listening to these folks speak at the dinner about me. To say I was humbled doesn't quite explain it. Folks there got to watch a grown man cry....a few times thruout the evening.
Posted By: K91773

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 01:05 AM

Congratulations, Swampwolf, it is nice that the agency allowed you to purchase your shotgun and awarded you your service handgun and that the sheriff awarded you your rifle. Those shadow boxes are really nice. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much or more than I am enjoying mine.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 01:32 AM

That’s pretty special!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 01:34 AM

that's great !!!, i had 35 years with company and got nothing from them ,
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 01:53 AM

Congratulations

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 02:21 AM

Here's my ol' patrol scatter gun that has rode with me every day since Jan 1st 1996.

Out of all these guns, this is the one I wanted the most. So glad they allowed me to purchase it. This gun and I have killed several sick and injured deer and a couple injured bears over the years. I would've paid the State much more than $209 for it.

It has also killed about a dozen healthy deer as I used it many times when I was off-duty hunting. For a smooth bore it slings a rifled slug mighty accurately out to about 75 yds or so.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 02:29 AM

Cool they let you buy it for a few dollars. You will pass it down and that’s great. I’m know that scattergun has a lot of stories. It’s a great field and have a lot of memories from mine in the same area of your career. Enjoy your retirement.
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 03:29 AM

Congratulations!
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 05:07 AM

Good on you. You deserve the accolades!
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 11:29 AM

congratulations on a long career. Have fun doing what you want now... Take care , be safe.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 11:45 AM

Looks like a good run

Enjoy "retirement"
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:33 PM

Having been on the job 26 plus years your co workers are like a family to you .And the fact that they show up and speak so highly of your efforts to doing your job so well is a credit to you and all of the people that you have worked with over the many years Thanks for a job well done .Now go have some fun and make the best of each day .
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 12:38 PM

Congratulations. Great milestone achievement.
Enjoy

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
Congratulations. Great milestone achievement.
Enjoy

Originally Posted by BTLowry
Looks like a good run

Enjoy "retirement"

Originally Posted by RdFx
congratulations on a long career. Have fun doing what you want now... Take care , be safe.

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Good on you. You deserve the accolades!

Originally Posted by VaBeagler
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by mississippiposse
Cool they let you buy it for a few dollars. You will pass it down and that’s great. I’m know that scattergun has a lot of stories. It’s a great field and have a lot of memories from mine in the same area of your career. Enjoy your retirement.

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
that's great !!!, i had 35 years with company and got nothing from them ,

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Congratulations

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
That’s pretty special!

Thanks guys for the kind words and well wishes!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
Having been on the job 26 plus years your co workers are like a family to you .And the fact that they show up and speak so highly of your efforts to doing your job so well is a credit to you and all of the people that you have worked with over the many years Thanks for a job well done .Now go have some fun and make the best of each day .

w side rd 51,
Usually a man doesn't ever learn that he may have had an impact, but this event sure humbled me with the turnout and all the guest speakers.

Thanks for kind words!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ND FTA
Congratulations!! I enjoy your threads and posts. Betting you were as great a warden as you are an asset to this website. Enjoy retirement.

Thanks ND FTA!
I enjoy posting and talking trapping on this site....my extended family!

Your comment ^^^^^ means a lot to me even though we have never met.

I thank you!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by K91773
Congratulations, Swampwolf, it is nice that the agency allowed you to purchase your shotgun and awarded you your service handgun and that the sheriff awarded you your rifle. Those shadow boxes are really nice. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much or more than I am enjoying mine.

Yes...4 sure!
Thanks for your kind words.
Hope your retirement continues well!!!
Posted By: ack

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 05:45 PM

Congrats. Enjoy it.
Thank you for your service!
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 06:58 PM

Congrats! on your retirement and a job well done!! If you get bored, you can always write a book on your adventures, being a G. W. ! I bet it would be a good read!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/28/22 07:55 PM

Sounds like your friends, family and co workers put on a heart felt goodbye and thank you for someone they loved and respected. I can bet sometimes in your career it seemed liked a thankless job and other times one that fill your heart with joy. Congratulations on a successful career. I hope the rest of your days you can enjoy doing what you want each and every day.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 01:04 AM

Congratulations ! Now go out and find yourself something to do that does not seem like work . I retired a little over a year ago , last year I stayed busy cutting trees until fall. It was great, up early, work till noon, get home in time to have lunch with the bride. Even learned to watch her soap opera, lol . My one piece of advice is find something that’s not based on the economy, good luck with that and enjoy yourself, you’ve earned it.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 02:21 AM

Whose gonna protect the possums now?
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 11:36 AM

Congrats Swamp...did you do a internship of sorts with another new officer to take over your position?

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
Congratulations ! Now go out and find yourself something to do that does not seem like work . I retired a little over a year ago , last year I stayed busy cutting trees until fall. It was great, up early, work till noon, get home in time to have lunch with the bride. Even learned to watch her soap opera, lol . My one piece of advice is find something that’s not based on the economy, good luck with that and enjoy yourself, you’ve earned it.

Originally Posted by ack
Congrats. Enjoy it.
Thank you for your service!

Thanks guys!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gator Foot
Congrats! on your retirement and a job well done!! If you get bored, you can always write a book on your adventures, being a G. W. ! I bet it would be a good read!

The book idea may just happen.

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Sounds like your friends, family and co workers put on a heart felt goodbye and thank you for someone they loved and respected. I can bet sometimes in your career it seemed liked a thankless job and other times one that fill your heart with joy. Congratulations on a successful career. I hope the rest of your days you can enjoy doing what you want each and every day.

Yes they did. Made a grown man cry.

I was always told that if you have a job you love that you'll never have to work a day....it's TRUE!
Thanks for the well wishes!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Whose gonna protect the possums now?

Nobody.

Georgia just passed a law allowing possum killin' year-round...lol

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Congrats Swamp...did you do a internship of sorts with another new officer to take over your position?

Our military-type rank structure enabled two corporals under each field sergeant. Each of these corporals are assigned administrative and light supervisory duties as part of their day to day ops. They are required to plan and conduct details and work closely with the lower ranking officers. This helps prepare them to promote to sgt and gives them a base to build on when they are ready to accept more responsibility.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 06:46 PM

Good to see good people recognized for their efforts! Congrats! You earned it!

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by cfowler
Good to see good people recognized for their efforts! Congrats! You earned it!

Thank you!!!!
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 07:28 PM

Congratulations Swamp Wolf!

I retired after 30 years as a Utah Conservation Officer 6-1/2 years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed my career and wondered how hard it would be to transition away form it. I wasn't hard at all. I still miss the people I worked with. And I miss the state truck and gas card and freedom to choose what awesome place I went each day. But, somewhat surprisingly, I didn't miss the law enforcement part (as it was fulfilling to catch the real bad guys that needed to be caught). The funny thing though was all the law enforcement dreams I had those first few months. I had more enforcement dreams the first six months afterwards than for the whole thirty years. I guess my brain was so used to those activities that it tried to keep them going when I wasn't supplying them LOL.

That's awesome you got to keep your duty weapons!

I wish you all the best with a happy and healthy retirement.

Dan

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/29/22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Barnhurst
Congratulations Swamp Wolf!

I retired after 30 years as a Utah Conservation Officer 6-1/2 years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed my career and wondered how hard it would be to transition away form it. I wasn't hard at all. I still miss the people I worked with. And I miss the state truck and gas card and freedom to choose what awesome place I went each day. But, somewhat surprisingly, I didn't miss the law enforcement part (as it was fulfilling to catch the real bad guys that needed to be caught). The funny thing though was all the law enforcement dreams I had those first few months. I had more enforcement dreams the first six months afterwards than for the whole thirty years. I guess my brain was so used to those activities that it tried to keep them going when I wasn't supplying them LOL.

That's awesome you got to keep your duty weapons!

I wish you all the best with a happy and healthy retirement.

Dan

Thats awesome Dan!!!
So far, Im like you. I have NOT missed the LE part of the job, but Im already missing the guys I worked with. Im definitely gonna miss going wherever I wanted and when i wanted. Spending all day and night in the woods and on the rivers and getting paid for it. Ive been second guessing myself for retiring...lol

Congrats on your great career and retirement!

Thank you for responding to my thread and thanks for the well wishes!!!
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Last Official Act: My Retirement Dinner - 06/30/22 01:31 AM

Congratulations sir. It's obvious that a lot of people hold you in high regard. I'll bet that was a bittersweet event. I wish you a long, healthy and happy (and well deserved) retirement!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums