Home

Melting/Pouring Lead

Posted By: JoMiBru

Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:07 AM

Been wreck fishing for years, for sea bass, flounder, tog etc. Normally have to use between 3 and 8 oz lead sinker, depending on current, depth, conditions. Tend to get hung up a lot and lose a lot of lures and sinkers.

So, I decided to get a small lead melting pot and a few molds to pour my own. Friend of mine works at Benelli, and hooked me up with 6- 5 gallon buckets of spent lead shot from their indoor gun testing range. Probably a life time of sinkers! Might also look into decoy weights, maybe jig heads.

Anyone pour their own lead weights? I’m looking for tips, pictures, recommendations to help me get rolling. I melted some the other day and made a few batches of sinkers, seemed fairly simple. I was in my shop with the doors and windows open, had a breeze going. You guys use a respirator? Thanks for any advice.

John
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:14 AM

No respirator. Get your mold hot and keep it hot. dont get any molten lead on you. Do not for any reason let even a pin drop of water hit the molten lead.

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:20 AM

Thanks Danny, had a feeling you’d respond! I appreciate it.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:25 AM

smelt outside stand up wind

cast iron or stainless steel pot only

saw dust and candle wax to flux , you need a big slotted spoon and a lead ladle

water hitting the lead isn't so much an issue as trapped water under the lead start by filling the pot with cold shot then head you boil off any water before the first lead starts to melt.

but yes a water in hot oil effect instant steam that sends lead flying

long sleeves , smelt over a sheet of plywood , safety glasses and gloves

once you have ingots a smaller electric furnace I run a LEE 4-20 pro this is a 20 pound pot bottom pour I cast bullets mainly

pure lead melts at 621 degrees , you need it hotter than that to be workable but you want to cast generally 700-800 vapor is minimal in this temp range higher makes more lead oxide vapor

I got my start casting for a muzzle loader on a borrowed mold , with a ladle and ss pan from good will on a camp stove so you don't need a lot but it helps with volume

not long after i bought a bigger pan , my own mold , then the 4-20 furnace
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:26 AM

[Linked Image]

Just have a small fan moving the air away
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:30 AM

Danny and GCP told you about everything you need to know to be safe. A respirator sure ain't gunna hurt much. Lead is nasty.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by JoMiBru

I was in my shop with the doors and windows open, had a breeze going. You guys use a respirator? Thanks for any advice.

John

Just like that and you'll be OK. I use a fan with the shop doors open. No I don't use a respirator. But I do wear safety glasses.

Take care to wash your hands often. It's the oxide on the lead that causes trouble.. Skim that mess off down to the clean shiny melted lead, then dispose of it in an old metal coffee can or something. An old table spoon with some 1/16" holes drilled in works well for me as a skimmer.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:42 AM

I don't even bother with the holes. I just pour the lead out of the slag by holding the spoon next to the edge.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mark K
I don't even bother with the holes. I just pour the lead out of the slag by holding the spoon next to the edge.

same here.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 02:09 AM

Its real simple. Skim the junk off the top, keep your mold hot, and your ventilation you used is fine. Wash your hands real good before touching anything that’ll go in your mouth. I work for the DOT on the maintenance side so I find wheel weights all the time and melt em down into sinkers. Saves a ton of money!
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 04:07 AM

I use my coleman stove to keep the mold heated,skim off the top junk with spoon. When pouring, don't hesitate in the pour until it tops the hole or you may find hollow spots.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 04:33 AM

[Linked Image]

Old school for me. Melt the lead in a small cast iron skillet on a camp stove and pour out of the skillet. I use an old spoon to skim off impurities since I use wheel weights. I only pour 6-8oz. egg sinkers for my (and friend's) ditty poles.

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 10:25 AM

Thanks guys. Is fluxing with candle wax necessary? What does this do? Wealth of information on here I appreciate it.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 10:29 AM

Thanks guys. Is fluxing with candle wax necessary? What does this do? Wealth of information on here I appreciate it.

I soot my molds with a candle- I never use wax
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 10:30 AM

I pour all my own sinkers (including splitshots) jig heads,,Duck Decoy Weights,,down rigger weights,,sling shot ammo,pretty much everything.I don't use flux for any of it.

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 10:36 AM

lead oxidizes very fast , fluxing with wax provides an oxygen deprived environment the fire is depleting the oxygen

the saw dust does some of the same but gives a vehicle for the non lead impurities to be carried out

in lead weights fill out and stuff is a lot less critical , a wrinkled fishing weight isn't a big deal

my pouring in volume and detail is more than is needed for a fishing weight, but if your looking for well filled out jig heads it is closer to that.
I run hundreds of bullets in a sitting and may reload my pot a few times , often wish I had 2 pots one to warm up while I am pouring from the other to keep my cadence going I run mostly 6 cavity molds

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 10:42 AM

How much wax and how often? I’ll try both ways to see the difference. Don’t think I’ll need it for these sinkers , but maybe for jig heads
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 10:47 AM

I poured lead for a living for a few years back in the 70's. I made battery cable ends (the part that goes over the posts on auto batteries). We worked out of 30 gallon pots that were right beside us. Used a short (16") ladle to fill the molds.

We'd set the pigs on the edge of the pots until they were getting soft before tipping them in to try and evaporate any moisture. We'd tipped them in with the ends of our ladles and our arms extended and get away from the pot as soon as the pig slid in. Most of the time it was fine but occasionally there'd be a burp and splatter of molten lead. Once and a great while the water trapped inside a pig of lead would explode with enough force to crack the melting pot, what a mess and a real PITA to clean up after it hardened.

We'd "smoke" the inside of the molds occasionally with an acetylene torch and "powder" them more frequently with baby powder balled up in a rag we patted the inside of the mold with.This kept the castings smooth and shiny.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 11:17 AM

If Rally ever cues in on this thread he will have some insight.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 11:35 AM

I've mainly only ever cast bullets. I shave off a sliver of stick bullet lube and use it for flux. Try it once, you won't believe how it brings all the impurities to the top and out of the lead. Like you said, wrinkled fishing weights will still sink fine, but it isn't any headache to drop a sliver of lube in the lead and light the smoke that comes up.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 12:52 PM

Yep, I always flux mine with a small amount of candle wax. I used wheel weights I got for free from local tire shops. I was big into bass tournaments when I was in college. Started a side business selling hand tied bass jigs out of my dorm room. Poured lead in the dorm room with the windows open and fans blowing.

Powder coated the heads in the community oven downstairs. I still enjoy it but don't have time to sell to others. Good luck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 01:22 PM

How much wax and how often? I’ll try both ways to see the difference. Don’t think I’ll need it for these sinkers , but maybe for jig heads

if you get old candle sticks you can just stick the end to the lead , your going till you get like 2 minutes of flames in that time your stirring and removing the slag and wood shavings.

it may also help as top heat when getting stuff melted I have used a torch as top heat to speed up my melt when smelting wheel weights , when smelting wheel weights you get all sorts of junk and clips and valve stems and such in the pot

you always get an oxide layer on the top of the pot it keeps the air from getting to the rest of the lead , and why bottom pour pots are so handy , you leave the layer on the top till your refill the pot
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 02:26 PM

I use 6 and 8 oz egg sinkers with #120 tarred twine for duck decoys.I drill holes bigger on drill press by holding sinker with vise grips.Use some lube on bit.2 8 oz weights on goose dekes.

Attached picture 96A68B98-956F-4E04-AFC3-214875974519.jpeg

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 02:28 PM

Any body else got one of these?

Attached picture FF4A3152-7673-47E3-ABCF-67899E66138C.jpeg
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 03:09 PM

My first sinker sale was a 100 pounds of 1-1/2 oz pyramid sinkers. I bought the mold and had to make it larger so it was 1-1/2 ounces. Required a brass eyelet. This all happened in the mid 60’s. I went on to pour 2 tons a week of all sizes of sinkers and sold them along with a full line of bait and tackle for 6 years from Long Beach to Lompoc California for 6 years.
Had ventilation and fan but no mask. I am 80 and no issues from it. The okum from pipe joints was the worst making smoke. Just cleared the shop when I would use old pipe joint and okum lead!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist

Looks like your about to set the garage a Blaze ….

Yup.Ive had my Plumbers Pot and burner for probly around 35 years now.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 03:13 PM

That’s the set up I used but a larger pot!
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 03:16 PM

I made a fluid bath for powder coating jigs- I pre-heat with a heat gun and finish in a toaster oven. It leaves a nice finish on Neds & Jigs
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

That’s just it’s storage spot.In case anyone was wondering raffia grass is highly flammable-no further comment on that one.

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 03:20 PM

I found all the parts for it in the fence row at my brothers place I took the pot then rest was rusted well beyond use

finding a certified vertical valve tank like that is getting harder and harder
so you have to go find places that won't check your certification date and just fill them, which is also getting harder to find. as is finding any place to certify a tank I had a guy where my wife used to work who could do recerts on 250 , 500 , 1000 he could also recert smaller tanks but he did it as a favor and not a service they offered to the public.

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
I made a fluid bath for powder coating jigs- I pre-heat with a heat gun and finish in a toaster oven. It leaves a nice finish on Neds & Jigs
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I do pretty much the same thing.Heat gun works great,,much better than trying to use a small torch,,then I just bake them in our kitchen oven to harden them up.Make sure the hook eye is clean BEFORE the final bake.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 03:25 PM

I had much better results pre heating them all in an oven and then dipping. You can get them to a much more consistent temperature that way and the powder coat takes a lot better. Heat gun doesn't heat the head to an even or consistent temperature

Bake for the recommended time, remove from oven, cool, bake again for the recommended time. Paint will be on that head much longer than the life of the jig
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 03:47 PM

Can you utilize the lead in lead acid batteries for melting and making jigs, bullets, sinkers ? Is it too labor intensive to extract?

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
Can you utilize the lead in lead acid batteries for melting and making jigs, bullets, sinkers ? Is it too labor intensive to extract?

some nasty stuff so yes it is possible battery recyclers can but not good with home tools
Posted By: jk

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/28/22 05:51 PM

One ounce sinkers in the NJ salt water we used spark plugs for two ounce and bigger we used bolts that we bought in big cans from surplus. Didnt use much lead at all. Did use some big bolts to get down 100 yards in current thought......jk

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/29/22 07:33 PM

About an hours time, I can see where this can get addicting! Satisfaction in making your own goods out of others waste. Thanks again guys.

Can I use a muffin tin for Ingot molt? And could put a U shaped wire in them for decoy weights.

Attached picture 68589EC5-E3D4-4951-AAF9-E15DCAA5876A.jpeg
Attached picture 8DA54CD3-D3B8-41AF-87A4-39FB65622DF4.jpeg
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/29/22 08:04 PM

Lookin' good! Lead wheel weights are nearly impossible to scrounge anymore!

I use one of my fish cookers to clean the lead and to cast.
I use cheapo spray cooking oil from Aldi's as a mold release. Much cheaper than WD-40 and you don't have to breathe the silicone fumes.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/29/22 08:07 PM

Can I use a muffin tin for Ingot molt? And could put a U shaped wire in them for decoy

Yes on the muffin tin. Lots of folks them.
Yes on the wire. And, copper wire won't rust or corrode.

I like your lead pot.

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/29/22 08:44 PM

spray the muffin tin with WD-40 so they release easier tip them out onto a board once solid but before the stop being too hot to touch

if you used a mini bunt cake pan you wouldn't even need the wire you would have a hole through the center to tie off on
https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Mini-...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

there are also decoy weight molds https://store.do-itmolds.com/Decoy-AnchorbrSz-StrapbrSz-6_p_704.html

Re: Melting/Pouring Lead - 06/30/22 12:52 AM

Thanks guys!

Good idea on the mini bunt pan, Pete!

John
© 2024 Trapperman Forums