Home

Dad is back at the rifle bench

Posted By: k snow

Dad is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 11:58 AM

After completing a smoothbore for my sister, Dad has started on my next rifle. I picked up a 36 caliber, 45 inch long swamped barrel from Rice and a grade 3 maple blank from Pecatonica. The rifle will be a very lightweight squirrel and rabbit gun, built in the style of John Rupp from the Lehigh Valley area.

Here are a few pics of the start of the process:
Laying out the ramrod pipe spacing:
[Linked Image]

Barrel inlet with tang:
[Linked Image]

Stock rough cut before shaping:
[Linked Image]

Pipes and barrel lugs drilled for pinning into stock.
[Linked Image]

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 12:05 PM

Here's a shot of the muzzle end. The top of the stock will be worked down to pencil line.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 12:20 PM

Neat
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 01:01 PM

I had a strong desire for a flint lock squirrels gun. Then I went out and shot my Marlin lever gun with open sight. I decide the squirrels would be safe with me shooting open sight and it took the wind out of my sail.Must be truth to your eyes getting worse over 40.

Nice project I'm looking forward to watching your progress.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 01:03 PM

Very nice length on that barrel too

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I had a strong desire for a flint lock squirrels gun. Then I went out and shot my Marlin lever gun with open sight. I decide the squirrels would be safe with me shooting open sight and it took the wind out of my sail.Must be truth to your eyes getting worse over 40.

Nice project I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

That's what is nice about the longrifles, you can push the rear sight out further and still maintain a good distance between front and rear sight. Some originals have filled dovetails where you can see the rear sight was moved forward, most likely for ailing eyesight.

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Very nice length on that barrel too

It's an A weight Allentown profile. Very light and thin. Should be a joy to carry when looking for squirrels or stalking rabbits in the snow.

Here's the profile dimensions:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 01:15 PM

I like a rear peep , I know it isn't period but I have 2 muzzle loaders with Marbles bullseye sights on them to replace the rear sight , just drift out the old and put in the new
much easier to see

Providence farm , the peep on the Marlin 336 30-30 helps also I run a Williams on that but would look at skinner if I did it again
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I like a rear peep , I know it isn't period but I have 2 muzzle loaders with Marbles bullseye sights on them to replace the rear sight , just drift out the old and put in the new
much easier to see

Providence farm , the peep on the Marlin 336 30-30 helps also I run a Williams on that but would look at skinner if I did it again

I have trouble with peeps in low light. Put one on a tc Hawken years ago. Always shot them well at scout camp but that was midday .
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 08:21 PM

Very cool snow! Keep the pictures coming!!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/28/22 09:50 PM

Thank you for sharing Kyle. I always dismissed myself from tackling something like this because I felt I did not have the patience. That was they easier softer way of saying I did not have the desire, skill and focus to do that kind of craft work. By your definition Kyle how much does a lightweight flintlock weigh?

Bryce
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/29/22 01:13 AM

What style lock our you going to use? I hope you post more pictures of your father's work.

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/29/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by jarentz
What style lock our you going to use? I hope you post more pictures when your father work.

It is going to have an L&R Dickert lock on it. I'll bug him for more pics in progress.

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/29/22 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Thank you for sharing Kyle. I always dismissed myself from tackling something like this because I felt I did not have the patience. That was they easier softer way of saying I did not have the desire, skill and focus to do that kind of craft work. By your definition Kyle how much does a lightweight flintlock weigh?

Bryce

Regarding weight, this one will most likely finish out around 7 pounds or so. Most of the longrifles are 9ish pounds, if they have swamped barrels. Straight barrels tend to be significantly heavier.

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/30/22 12:45 AM

Here is a pic of laying out the lock position. The touch hole in the barrel should be centered in the pan, just above the top of the pan. Stock profile is within 1/8 of an inch of final, except for the bottom back by the buttplate area. [Linked Image]

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/30/22 12:51 AM

He just sent another pic. Here is the buttplate clamped in near final position. It will be inlet down so the top extension is flush to the comb of the stock.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/30/22 01:12 AM

KSnow….you paying close attention to the old man ? When are you going to build one…or you already have ?

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 06/30/22 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
KSnow….you paying close attention to the old man ? When are you going to build one…or you already have ?

I built two before he even got started building. I don't really enjoy the work, I worry over every little detail and am too nervous about messing it up. I'd much rather make powder horns, shooting bags, beadwork and sew clothing. Funny, even after all the guns he has built, he still calls and asks if he is doing it right.

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 07/01/22 12:12 AM

Today dad got the lock plate into the stock, next will be all the internal lock parts.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 07/01/22 01:39 AM

looks nice and I think that wood will look really nice!!

Re: Das is back at the rifle bench - 07/01/22 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by jarentz
looks nice and I think that wood will look really nice!!

Its a piece of grade 3 maple, it has pretty decent curl to it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums