Home

St Judes Hospital

Posted By: bwurts

St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 05:55 PM

Does anyone have any experience with St Judes research hospital - or know how it all started?

thanks
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 06:02 PM

great place .we donate every year. Even have them in our will. Thank GOD we have never had to use them as a family
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 06:13 PM

It was started by Danny Thomas. He was struggling in the early years of his comedy career. So he made a donation to St Jude, and asked for help him provide for his family. He promised if he did he would build him a shrine. In short order he got a well paying gig. He built the hospital as a shrine.

My cousin's kid was sent there for treatment at the age of 10. My cousin can't say enough about them. He loves them and makes a sizeable donation every year. He's very tight, so to me that means he truly believes in what they do. They never charged him a dime. They take what insurance give them, and for uninsured people they don't ask for any money. Thus why it costs over $2 million/day to run. They also help with lodging and travel expenses.

I think a lot of the doctors who work there donate their time.

Also looking at charity sites it looks like $0.82 of every dollar donated to their fundraising org is sent to St Judes.
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 06:18 PM

https://www.stjude.org/about-st-jude/history.html
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 06:33 PM

I think his daughter, Marlo stayed heavily involved when her father died.

I've never heard a negative word regarding St Jude's Hospital; all positive.
Posted By: Posco

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 06:51 PM

I donate to them every month. That's all I have to say about that.
Posted By: Remington700

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 06:54 PM

Someone already posted the link on history. I grew up in Memphis and it is a great place.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 08:14 PM

In 1991 I had a St Jude Aortic valve put in my heart, along with some other man made parts. Made out of Titanium. Kind of loud but keeps on clicking.
Posted By: lestan101

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 08:17 PM

That's the first check I write every month. I have been donating for a long time. I think it's one of the best charities to donate to. I also have seven grandchildren I hope they never need any treatment there but I feel better about supporting them in advance.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 10:06 PM

Can not speak highly enough for St. Judes and Shriner's Hospitals for children.
Posted By: adam m

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 11:12 PM

I know a couple people that had kids go there.
Initially we wanted to go there for my daughters cancer but we landed up at MSKCC and it was a great blessing.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 11:31 PM

Great hospital. I donate several times a year.
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: St Judes Hospital - 06/28/22 11:51 PM

Great hospital. I donate several times a year. Top notch outfit.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums