Home

Upcoming postal rate increase

Posted By: corky

Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/29/22 11:13 AM

This caught me unaware. There was a sign at the post office so the increase must have been approved. Order your "forever" stamps soon. Other rates are also increasing.

On April 6, 2022, the United States Postal Service® filed notice with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) of price changes to take effect July 10, 2022. The new prices, if favorably reviewed, include a two-cent increase in the price of a First-Class Mail Forever stamp from 58 cents to 60 cents.
Posted By: run

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/29/22 12:30 PM

Cool.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/29/22 12:47 PM

I'm surprised they're bothering to deal with cents. They have no sense.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/29/22 01:19 PM

I guess they increase their rates twice a year now days.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/29/22 03:40 PM

It is just stamps that are going up. Flat rate box price is staying the same. At least that is what I’ve read.

Flat rate boxes usually go up in January. Same time UPS and FedEx raise their rates.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/29/22 07:20 PM

Had no idea prices went up that much. I'm still less than 1/2 way thru the roll I bought at $.40 per.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 12:44 AM

The government can send billions over seas, but can't find the money to prop up the post office.
Posted By: P Porcupine

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 01:56 AM

this is the second increase so far this year. I have a small online business to supplement retirement, last year my postage was around $8,000. Then they started paying for an ad on tv about the post office being everywhere. this added to my disgust. when the first rate increase came through I emailed every congressman that was listed to be on the post office committee. 2 wrote back, but the ad is still playing and now another increase. between inflation and postage, I guess I will be out of business. or at least it will cut way down. I tried to contact the postmaster general, but couldn't find an email address. and their generic contact did not cover my complaint.
sorry to vent, just find it very irritating.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 02:12 AM

It's about time to do away with the post office. All they do is bleed money
and raise rates.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 03:00 AM

That's it. I'm done mailing letters!
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 04:23 AM

Prices go up in line with delivery time. Great! Anything that the government runs is a joke.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 10:25 AM

Someday I would like to meet the knucklehead bureaucrat at the Postal Service who thought that P.O. should handle passport applications. Apparently he thought the lines at our P.O. were too short....

Pete

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 11:29 AM

I actually like the postal service. Works surprisingly well considering the government red tape involved. LOL.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 11:32 AM

They can care less about their customers. I also ship a lot of items, and they thought so much of my business, to hit me with a fuel surcharge, on top of already ridicules rates, but to not tell me until I seen it on the bill. When you are shipping stuff, you cannot absorb an extra forteen bucks and not be told about it, so it can be passed on. They have outlived their usefulness!

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 11:51 AM

Lee - what is this fuel surcharge you are talking about? I know UPS has one , probably FedEx too, but the post office - never heard of that. Thanks
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 12:42 PM

Nancy, any package over twenty inches long, an extra four bucks on top of normal postage, and any package over thirty inches long, an extra fourteen bucks on top of normal postage. And now a new rate on top of that. I wouldn't have been so upset about it if they had said something...anything prior to when they applied it, but I walked into the PO to mail almost 150 dollars worth of stuff, and had all these fuel surcharges on the bill. I ask what this was, and they said they didn't know, the computer just spit it out. I said thanks alot for letting me know, there went my profit for the week!
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 01:02 PM

Pony Express cost more but it was quicker.

Still can't figure out how taking 4 days for my neighbor to get a birthday card is more cost effective than the way it used to be.

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 01:06 PM

Sounds like an oversized box fuel surcharge. I read about that one coming. I didn't get a date on it. Just read that it was coming.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 01:33 PM

That 15.00 on 30" and over is a killer on my bow sales and have now resorted to selling them in person. I occasionally get a "correction" on shipping- they give me back .30 on 1 lb under mistake and charge me 4.00 on something 8 oz over....the house always wins and is near impossible to dispute.

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 03:31 PM

Lee - thanks. Now I remember reading about that happening, just didn’t think of it when I read your post.

I don’t do a lot of shipping and mostly use the flat rate boxes. I’ve got a big shipment to Alaska coming up next month - I bet I will be shocked at what it costs. It was bad before, now it will be really bad.

Sorry for doubting you.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 08:48 PM

Gas is up $2.00 so I can deal with the .02. Mailing instead of driving is incredibly low cost in today's world.

Bryce
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
That's it. I'm done mailing letters!

That’s what they want! That way, they can see what you wrote! If you write a letter. It’s between you and the receiver. By the way, I don’t like dealing with them either! But, I like my privacy. Or the little bit I have.
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 08:56 PM

I’ve never understood why they charge you for a box at the post office but will deliver the mail to you house for free.
Should be the other way around imo
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 09:17 PM

They need to get their (stuff) together & be serious about money & how they spend it. Same advice for our gov
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 09:47 PM

My mail person, (a gal) is working double shifts so I don't get my mail till like 9pm. As I understand it, all postal workers have to do is utter the magic word, "Covid", and they get 10 days off with pay.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 06/30/22 10:19 PM

From what I understand! They are a non profit organization. So, when they get some money in the bank. The federal government takes it. So, if they have any repairs or anything that costs money, they have to go up!!

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 07/01/22 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Gas is up $2.00 so I can deal with the .02. Mailing instead of driving is incredibly low cost in today's world.

Bryce

I agree with you.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 07/01/22 12:11 PM

If the increased postal rates help getting mail delivered more efficiently, I am all for it. Most people in my area are lucky if they get their mail picked up or delivered 3 times a week.
I was tracking a package I was expecting, and the tracking said that my package was "out for delivery" at 7 AM from the post office which is 3 miles from my house. I got my package 2 days later.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Upcoming postal rate increase - 07/01/22 01:19 PM

I keep looking for horse crap near my mailbox as I have suspicions they have reverted back to the pony express.

When I sent a couple of small padded envelopes with some really light stuff in them inside the lower 48 the posties charged me 9 bucks per envelope and they took nearly a week to get to their destination.
Last week I ordered two hydraulic locking valves plus pipes and fittings from Leuwarden in the Netherlands. That package was a 4X18 X 24" box and weighed about 5 pounds. It got here in 4 days via UPS and cost 11,20 euros.....I guess about 14 bucks at the current exchange rate.
So I am guessing that UPS is actually using planes whereas USPS must have gone back to horses and carrier pigeons to ship their packages and letters around. At current prices for bird seed and hay, I can understand the raised rates
© 2024 Trapperman Forums