Home

Mixed phase squirrel

Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 12:42 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Saw this black phase squirrel today at a job site with a red phase tail. Anyone ever seen something like this before?
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 12:55 PM

It's one of them LGBTQ squirrels that self identifies as a wombat. laugh
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 01:07 PM

Black phase fox squirrel.
I’ve killed several in my lifetime.
Somewhat rare, but not super rare.
Good picture.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 01:48 PM

Super cool though...I'd say rare
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 02:05 PM

Looks small the be a fox squirrel unless we just grow them bigger down here. If it is a fox squirrel then yeah I see all different color phases of them. If it’s a Grey then no, that’s unique for anything I’ve ever seen.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 02:31 PM

Had one like that here in yard few years ago. Was going to wait until he was nice prime airgun it for taxidermist. Heard big bang and lights blinked. Went outside found that squirrel laying bottom of power pole kinda blown up and smoking. Guess didn't know not to play with electricity. Have not seen another black with blonde tail since. Have seen some blonde ones and black ones.

Mac
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 02:40 PM

See quite a few out back and in town. About every mix of color you can dream up almost always a different color tail. Sometimes an off brown body and a regular looking tail
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 03:34 PM

What your seeing is a regular black colored Grey Squirrel that is molting to it's summer hair. The tail hair is the last to change, and many of them get bleached out by the sun and appear it be weird colored. I haven't the foggiest idea why all of the black ones don't turn into blonde-tailed squirrels. We have a pile of blacks here and only a couple of our "yard squirrels" will get the bleached out red/blonde tails late in the spring/early summer. A month from now their tails will be the same color as their body.
Posted By: Oley

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 06:09 PM

I wonder what he identifies as? confused
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 10:39 PM

have them here in syracuse ny
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 10:43 PM

Saw a pie ball red on my farm once. Looked forward to seeing it again but never did. Guess the dogs gaive it the impression it was not welcome.

I have never seen one like that
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/29/22 11:25 PM

Saw a regular Grey with a pure white tail one time. I told a friend about it and he said it had been born and grew up at his place and it was now 10 miles down the lake in a different yard.

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/30/22 12:46 AM

Just to clear it up we don’t have fox squirrels around where I am, just greys (greys and blacks) and reds. I was at a job site over in Westchester county New York and saw this. I’ve seen greys with red mixed and I’ve seen pure black. Never have I seen a mixture of black with a red tail. I shot a grey squirrel last year that had a red stripe down the center of its stomach and I thought that was weird. Guess living that close to the city he is having gender identity issues. Seems only fitting for the area I was in haha i would love to have that pelt though, that’s a rarity for sure around here

Re: Mixed phase squirrel - 06/30/22 12:49 AM

[Linked Image]
I knew I still had a pic
© 2024 Trapperman Forums