Home

Wolf urine to deter fox ?

Posted By: kyron4

Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 04:58 AM

Got a clever fox hitting my chickens. Have traps out but he's a sly one ,midmorning attacks 10 to 15 days apart, very sneaky. I've read vinegar will deter them as will wolf urine. Anyone have any real world results if either works even if only short term ? -Thanks
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 05:07 AM

Wolf urine will attract fox.
Dont know about vinegar.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 08:27 AM

from your question i think its a matter of a lack of experience on your part rather than intelligence on the fox's part. if your willing to buy "wolf urine" you probably are using poor attractors as well

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
from your question i think its a matter of a lack of experience on your part rather than intelligence on the fox's part. if your willing to buy "wolf urine" you probably are using poor attractors as well

I was asking about vinegar and wolf urine, not my trapping ability. Anyways, where I'm at I have to consider dogs and cats, that will and have been caught, so foot holds and snare are a no go. Keeping cats put up is impossible and the dogs are problematic too. Cage traps are set and even though I brushed them in well, I think the fox is still weary of something new in the area. But hey, thanks for your advice it was real helpful.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 10:25 AM

feral cats need killing and stray dogs go to the pound. why do you allow them around your chickens? how do you know they are not the problem? if you think a feral cat wont kill a chicken you better think again
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 10:27 AM

Real pee will attract animals rather than detour them. I think what Danny was saying is a lot of dealers sell not so real pee and I would be questionable of anyone saying they have wolf pee. The processes used to collect good pee are not easy and doing so with wolves to get pee in a salable quantity would be near impossible.
I have no idea about vinegar, but expect a fox that spends it's life around people will have likely smelled it before and would not mind.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 11:17 AM

try going to barber and get some hair , you will have to keep freshen it up with new hair over time
Posted By: run

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 11:31 AM

I don't believe urine is going to deter a fox.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 12:55 PM

Personally if i was worried about cats and dogs getting caught I'd buy a half dozen rubber jawed traps and set those. In my mind it would be easier to catch a fox in those rather than try to get one to commit to a cage, especially if it is only coming by every two weeks.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 01:38 PM

Urine is urine, it's an attractant to canines, doesn't matter if it's wolf urine, fox urine, coyote urine, deer urine, or human urine.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 01:49 PM

Secure your coop so a Fox can’t get in or get a good dog.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 03:32 PM

[quote=Boco]Wolf urine will attract fox.}

I've caught a lot of foxes, using nothing BUT fresh wolf urine.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 08:46 PM

Are the chickens cooped or free range or some of each? Putting out a few spots of vinegar or wolf urine will not deter any canine or cat for that matter. It would amaze us how many scents, odors and smells a fox or any predator with a nose can and does intake on every trip and route they take. If wolf urine worked on foxes most of Canada and Alaska would not have any foxes, nor would much of the northern regions of the lower 48.

If only cages are usable and workable for you, you should work on chicken protection and let the predators roam as they are. Sure you can get a few here and there but real long term control with your current situation is unlikely.

Bryce

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 09:00 PM

The birds free range, although for now they are in the run/pen until I can make some progress. The pen and coop is built like ft. knox, very secure and nothing has even tried to get in at night. All attacks over the years have been daytime attacks when birds are free ranging. The dog and cats mention belong to me and coexist perfectly with the birds. The dog has thwarted many attacks over the years and protects the flock, but can't stop them all. In the last attack the fox lied in wait till the dog come inside for a few minutes, hence his cleverness. The cats are my barn cats that catch their weight in mice and pests, so roughnecks, but not feral; they pay no attention to the chickens. They have all been caught and released before, but I've been pretty busy lately and not home much. Stuck in a trap or snare all day in 90* + heat is unfair, say what you will. I know it is a fox because my daughter witnessed the last attack and prior to that I found the spot he dragged the chicken and tore it apart and left droppings, I do know what fox poop looks like compared to cat , coon, coyote, etc.

So there, that the long story with all the unnecessary details for clarification and your enjoyment. I got a long weekend off coming up and plan to do some calling and set some footholds when I'm home to better keep non targets out or at least get them out in a reasonable amount of time. We got one last year after about 3 weeks and we'll get this one too. The urine/vinegar idea was just to buy me some time.

So, sounds like urine is a no go; good to know. Vinegar, while I'm doubtful, is still worth trying, only one way to find out.

Thanks for all of the positive and direct to the point replies. Now I need to go work on my trapping skills wink
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 09:19 PM

If you want to catch the fox keep the “pets” put up an set some footholds. Just depends on which one your more worried about.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 10:40 PM

Free range cats is hippie speak that means feral
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by G Hose
If you want to catch the fox keep the “pets” put up an set some footholds. Just depends on which one your more worried about.

X2, keep the dogs and cats in the house or kennel and set the stinkin’ footholds. So far you’re just standing around scratching your butt.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 10:55 PM

Free range cats is hippie speak that means feral

We agree. And any landowner out there that wants ground nesting birds to survive wants them GONE. They are happier with that catch than a coyote or fox, at least down here anyways.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 06/30/22 11:31 PM

PM< Kylee Eastwood. she starts college soon. Offer her enough money she can kill that fox for you. might even kill a coon or possum fore they start trouble.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/01/22 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Wolf urine will attract fox.
Dont know about vinegar.

Thanks guys, this was all the answer I needed; no more no less. carry on and have fun.
This site never disappoints.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/01/22 02:04 AM

Quit educated that thing. Break out the shotgun, camp out and shoot anything with fur, especially cats.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/01/22 08:56 AM

i like it when people want advice then wont take it

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/01/22 10:16 AM

i like it when people want advice then wont take it

Well I never asked for advice if you had read my post, I asked a yes or no question ; does wolf urine or vinegar work. Yes it does, no it doesn't. Others had no problem posting a answer. With no context or back story you felt you had to quip off a snarky answer to impress your pals and feel good about yourself. Several people were able to just answer the question and move on. I can see now this is how you get you kicks , sad but to each his own. I haven't logged on to this site in over 6 month because it has slowly became a cess pool of negativity and arrogant know it alls. I didn't ask how to trap a fox, I've boarded my fair share, I didn't ask if I should own cats etc. If I was home and not working 12 hrs day and also looking in on my sick cousin an hour away then I would have just shot the thing or set traps done and done. I realize I'm giving you what you want and feeding your ego, but so be it ; congratulations you win. I've seen new guys disappear from the sight because of people like you. Ban me , ,cancel me whatever, I've slept less than 3 hrs, today and I just don't care anymore . I'm out, good day.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/01/22 10:25 AM

I answered your question by saying you had little trapping experience. That lack of experience, not an educated fox, was the reason you could not catch it. You just didnt like it. I also said your feral cats could be the problem. You didnt like that either. Would you prefer a lie? Boco had already said wolf urine was an attractant. I also pointed out, (true as well) buying wolf urine was nigh on impossible. The stuff thats being marketed is like 99% of all marketed urine. Fake junk. Just because you dont want to hear the truth doesnt make it untrue.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/02/22 10:20 AM

Caught the fox this morning in a victor 1.75 soft catch, post set , and another coon in the cage. There will be more.
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/02/22 10:24 AM

Good deal.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/02/22 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by kyron4
Caught the fox this morning in a victor 1.75 soft catch, post set , and another coon in the cage. There will be more.

The advice on TMan'er is always free, but that doesn't mean it's served up humble and luke warm.
I've come to appreciate the piping hot methods of some of my trapping pals.
Or guns blazing.
Or ram the torpedos. FIRE!
Or my favorite...
Chute 'em.

Gotta love a round table of trapping dudes and dudettes.
Blessings,
Mark

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/02/22 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Originally Posted by kyron4

The advice on TMan'er is always free, but that doesn't mean it's served up humble and luke warm.
I've come to appreciate the piping hot methods of some of my trapping pals.
Or guns blazing.
Or ram the torpedos. FIRE!
Or my favorite...
Chute 'em.

Gotta love a round table of trapping dudes and dudettes.
Blessings,
Mark

Ya, that's the interwebs and the keyboard warriors lol. I would like to thank those who messaged me with some good productive advice and some great ideas, very helpful .
Posted By: run

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/02/22 11:11 AM

Awesome.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/02/22 12:32 PM

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you kyron4. I have outside cats (not hippie speak for feral no matter what Danny believes) and dogs so footholds to catch chicken-eaters on my property have always been out of the question.

We were losing a lot of birds over the years and twice had our small flock of about a dozen birds wiped out. My wife was so mad she spent endless hours sitting in my wood shop overlooking the chicken run with a rifle propped on the windowsill. Never did see the fox while on patrol.

Our predators rarely take the chickens when we free range them. We only let them out when we are home and during those times we or the dogs are almost always outside.

They were digging under the fence and climbing over it. We finally reinforced the fence by securing hardware cloth a foot up from the bottom and a foot out from the fence buried an in or so down. That stopped the digging under the wire although they still try to this day. We also bought some bird netting off Amazon, stood a 4 x 4 pole in the center of the 700 square foot fenced-in area, draped the netting over the pole and secured it to the fence.

We've had zero losses since then and it's been three years since we did all that.

The fox and coyote still come and check the perimeter frequently but none have gotten in.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/02/22 02:32 PM

At my dads place he runs an electric fence wire about 8 inches off the ground and 4 to 6 inches out from the chicken wire fence on the chicken run. Critters learn fast not to try to get in there.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/05/22 09:29 AM

Well, the long weekend is over and it's back to the grind. Pulled all the traps for now, again just no time to stay on top of them. Chickens been out all weekend with no issues, though it's only a matter of time before it happens again. Sometimes only days or weeks and sometimes months and months. I'm applying some of the suggestions for deterrents, something is always better than nothing. I think the vinegar idea has little effect, much like dryer sheets or bags of hair, they figure it out pretty quick.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/05/22 09:44 AM

I think fox coyotes deer possums and coons all like apples better after they freeze and get soft. That freezing turns more apple into sugar. Cider vinegar is fermented apple juice.

Whoever put that online is just repeating nonsense. I have seen different gardening websites where coyote urine is recommended to repel deer and rabbits. When you tell people it will attract them, assuming you can find some for sale, they don't believe you. So that kind of nonsense just keeps being repeated.

I dont get it. When I ask a mechanic how to fix whatever is making my check engine light come on its because I trust he will tell me the truth. I dont argue about it.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/05/22 09:50 AM

I answered your question by saying you had little trapping experience. That lack of experience, not an educated fox, was the reason you could not catch it. You just didnt like it. I also said your feral cats could be the problem. You didnt like that either. Would you prefer a lie? Boco had already said wolf urine was an attractant. I also pointed out, (true as well) buying wolf urine was nigh on impossible. The stuff thats being marketed is like 99% of all marketed urine. Fake junk. Just because you dont want to hear the truth doesnt make it untrue.

I'm probably a sucker or a fool, maybe both, but I have to point out you came back to this post again and again to post your "truths",, but when I posted that I caught the fox, on the first night no less, it was crickets from you. I'll be the first to admit I probably got lucky and never have claimed to be a top tier trapper, but you had nothing to say or add. So here's a "truth" I set a trap and I caught the fox. Never got him to go into a cage trap, but I'll work on that part. Also, Andy and Ollie (my "feral" cats) , they think I'm great, all that matters more to me than anyone on the interweb wink Carry on friend, and as always God bless.

Re: Wolf urine to deter fox ? - 07/05/22 09:55 AM

Its because you said you couldnt use foot traps due to heat. You were worried about your feral cats. Yet you then said you caught a fox in a foot trap
© 2024 Trapperman Forums