Home

FHA Sale results

Posted By: MJM

FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 01:48 PM

Read em and weep
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 01:53 PM

Only need to get 180 Eastern Coyotes to pay for a brand new Rifle !
Posted By: Slush

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 02:20 PM

Oof....
Posted By: Bob

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 02:23 PM

Ouch.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 04:38 PM

That's 2 FHA sales in a row that Central bcats sold pretty good. May have to send next winter's southern kitties up there.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 04:43 PM

I may just sell next seasons stuff at a garage saleÖ might do betterÖ laugh
Posted By: The Beav

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 05:18 PM

I'm trapping skunks.
Posted By: Savell

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
That's 2 FHA sales in a row that Central bcats sold pretty good. May have to send next winter's southern kitties up there.

... noticed that too ... Iíve got some needing a good home right now

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 06:01 PM

$13 avg is still not enough for me to scrape and board these southern beavers.....Nope!
Posted By: Savell

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 06:04 PM

$13 avg is still not enough for me to scrape and board these southern beavers.....Nope!

Why not?.. what else are you going to be doing?.... not like you have to ride around looking for kids fishing without a license anymore lol

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Savell

Why not?.. what else are you going to be doing?.... not like you have to ride around looking for kids fishing without a license anymore lol

Iza be gone sell em to Groeny for $6 ......just skint.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 08:36 PM

Based on this sale one could catch 500 xl muskrats and there were not enough sold to buy one gallon of gas pre inflation for that matter.

Bryce
Posted By: walleyed

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 09:47 PM

BOHICA !!!!! shocked

walleyed
Posted By: keets

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 10:18 PM

my account was updated today, sold 2 WI yotes 1 for 9 other 15....beaver and otter seemed to improve a bit
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: FHA Sale results - 06/30/22 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by keets
my account was updated today, sold 2 WI yotes 1 for 9 other 15....beaver and otter seemed to improve a bit

I just checked my account.......sold 3 mink along with the muskrat that previously sold.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Only need to get 180 Eastern Coyotes to pay for a brand new Rifle !

180 coyotes would net me $9000.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 12:34 AM

I'm pretty elated with how the sale went. I averaged $15 for my junk beaver that I was offered $2 for (put up) at the local OTC sale. I'll be after beaver big time next winter.

Good year for you guys to learn to clean skin. If you nick them up a little and turn them into section III's they'll go for more money!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 12:39 AM

Eastern section red fox didn't do terrible although only 8% sold.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

If they listed 8%, when they say mainly unsold, it must be MAINLY UNSOLD.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 03:42 AM

If it tells you anything it should tell you where not to and where to sell your fur. Post it if you got it figured out yet. Top western cats had NO market.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 03:51 AM

Wow going crazy in the pT room for me. I sold 1 of 3 remaining mink for $4 and my last 5 lower grade coons cleared the market for a total of $10.50 or about $2.10 each. I have read articles where they are discussing the reduction in turkey harvests the last 2-3 years. Based on my recent summer trapping on one person's house and yard I can help them with some clues.

Bryce

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MJM

If they listed 8%, when they say mainly unsold, it must be MAINLY UNSOLD.

I don't understand what you mean?

The chart says 8% of eastern section red fox sold and they averaged $20.41

It says central section red fox were "Mainly Unsold" and list no prices.
Posted By: IowaTrapper

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 11:44 AM

I'll be hitting coon hard again! Regardless what this says.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 12:44 PM

He's saying that if they are willing to list a number as low as 8% then when they say "Mainly Unsold" the percentage is miniscule
Posted By: Northof50

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by IowaTrapper
I'll be hitting coon hard again! Regardless what this says.

That-a-boy never loose that attitude.
There is one fur buyer on here that did all the buying of your 4-5Xl silver haired
ditch dive those yellow backs
Posted By: Dirt

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 03:34 PM

Looks like I beat the Top Lot in the PT room. I wonder does that make me an ambassador of the fur industry again this year? I think ambassadors should get a bonus. It is a lot of work being an ambassador.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 03:56 PM

Yes Dirt marten after moving from $52 top to at least $65 top. Same pattern as March sale. Lighter colours are selling and better dark colours are meeting resistance.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 11:38 PM

I sold my beavers locally. skinned only for $9 across the board. Glad I didnít ship this year. It was easier on the shoulders, too.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/01/22 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2

He's saying that if they are willing to list a number as low as 8% then when they say "Mainly Unsold" the percentage is miniscule

Got it, thanks for the explanation coondagger.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 01:34 PM

iowa trapper why dont you trap now more trap now lot of damage control sweet corn eaters or is there to much competion now heck if you trap all year you would only have to catch 3 a day to get your 1000 thats all you want to do any way most dont care what you do
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Joe1
iowa trapper why dont you trap now more trap now lot of damage control sweet corn eaters or is there to much competion now heck if you trap all year you would only have to catch 3 a day to get your 1000 thats all you want to do any way most dont care what you do

Apparently you do. grin
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher
I sold my beavers locally. skinned only for $9 across the board. Glad I didnít ship this year. It was easier on the shoulders, too.

Thatís a great price.I sold to 3 different buyers to find the best one and probably should of stuck with the guy 3 miles from my house but he was $8.00 tops.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 02:16 PM

I wonder if there are any NUTRIA GRADERS left to work at the auction houses, they are going to be in big demand next year

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by crosspatch
Yes Dirt marten after moving from $52 top to at least $65 top. Same pattern as March sale. Lighter colours are selling and better dark colours are meeting resistance.

Next time I catch a xxxl DK I will chuck it! Not ambassador material anymore. frown
Posted By: Castormound

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 04:01 PM

Is it legal to trap out of season in Iowa?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 06:58 PM

Not much of my stuff sold just otter and mink. Mink still seems to be not worth going after.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 08:52 PM

Does FHA give top lot awards for proper pelt handling? The recognition is nice to get.
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 09:05 PM

Your and my area of Pa mostly go central ,I think
Posted By: wetdog

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/02/22 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by PSB1011

You are correct Sir. Not many go in the eastern lots.
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 12:29 AM

Well, this auction was just like the March one where muskrats went mainly unsold. I'm still going to trap, but it's nice to know that I will have to work harder this summer. My goal is 300 muskrats from November 1st till April 30th.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by PSB1011

I didn't know that, thanks Phil.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 12:42 AM

The centrals didn't even sell, or were "mostly unsold."

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by bodycount
Does FHA give top lot awards for proper pelt handling? The recognition is nice to get.

No they give them because you didn't screw up a good pelt that the animal created. Or sometimes it is just luck. I get them, so it has to be luck when I get them. It is nice to be called an " Ambassador of the fur industry" . I'm not really much of an ambassador though, even though I try to do my part by not trapping much when prices suck. That helps everybody. I'm a giver!
Posted By: mnsota

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 02:39 AM

Jeeze .dirt. can't you lend a little bit of respect of,.(a job well done}!

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 01:52 PM

you have the right to protect your land from critters in iowa there is more trappers this time of year any more coon eating sweet corn eating holes in silage bags and feed bags eating dog and cat food meant for pets the list goes on and on in my area there is coon highways along creeks there reproducing like rats and mice and a lot of them are being controled like rats and mice
Posted By: Castormound

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 02:11 PM

you have the right to protect your land from critters in iowa there is more trappers this time of year any more coon eating sweet corn eating holes in silage bags and feed bags eating dog and cat food meant for pets the list goes on and on in my area there is coon highways along creeks there reproducing like rats and mice and a lot of them are being controled like rats and mice

;
Thanks Joe, figured as much. I grew up in Iowa and remember we had to get some kind of "permission slip" if the damage control was on someone else's property. I left in 1982, so probably lots of changes since then.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 02:53 PM

back in the early 70s if you got 30 to 50 coon a year you got a lot then in the 90s we would get 150 to 200 and not get over 2 miles from home now you could get 500 to 1000 with in a 2 to 3 mile area yes things have really changed in the 70s those were a lot of big silver coon now a big percent of them are poor quality like the one the guy told me looked like it was a little over 1/2 grown turned out to be a tited sow
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 11:12 PM

Anyone score a $15 or above coon at this sale? I know they would be few and far between but just wondering.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Anyone score a $15 or above coon at this sale? I know they would be few and far between but just wondering.

Surely some one on Tman had a raccoon that sold for over $15.00. There were 19 lots (or strings) that sold for that price or higher in the actual auction. There were several of those lots that brought more than $20.00.

There were 2 strings that sold for 25 cents. LM-S II and SM I.

I have no idea what happened in the PT room. I doubt anything that sold in there went for over $15.00
Posted By: Boco

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 11:36 PM

I dont think may people on here even fur trap,let alone ship fur to auction.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/03/22 11:47 PM

back in the early 70s if you got 30 to 50 coon a year you got a lot then in the 90s we would get 150 to 200 and not get over 2 miles from home now you could get 500 to 1000 with in a 2 to 3 mile area yes things have really changed in the 70s those were a lot of big silver coon now a big percent of them are poor quality like the one the guy told me looked like it was a little over 1/2 grown turned out to be a tited sow

UhhÖ.I got to question them there numbers. I assume itís a tongue in cheek exaggeration?
500 to 1000 coon in a 2 to 3 mile area?
Coon are thick, no doubt about it. Incredibly thick in fact, but dad gumÖÖÖ
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by claycreech

UhhÖ.I got to question them there numbers. I assume itís a tongue in cheek exaggeration?
500 to 1000 coon in a 2 to 3 mile area?
Coon are thick, no doubt about it. Incredibly thick in fact, but dad gumÖÖÖ

Agree, heís full of it.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 01:35 AM

Coon so thick in them parts you can't swing a 1.5 Duke in a full circle without catching one.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 02:43 AM

Coon so thick in them parts you can't swing a 1.5 Duke in a full circle without catching one.

grin grin grin

I have seen a couple road killed on a gravel township road (1 mile length) that I use a lot. A person almost has to be trying to hit one doing 40 or so mph

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 01:36 PM

we have those numbers we have a lot of feed guys with feed lots will go out at night and see 40 to 50 coon around their feed bunks plastic wrapped silage bags and you know their not seeing them all corn feilds every where you guys do the math 4 coon per litter a lot of areas havnt seen trapping for 4 to 5 years we see coon running around in the middle of the day almost every time we go some where like i said though big numbers make a lot of inbreeding making poorer quality coon you have 100 sows in a 2to3 mile area which is real low they have 400 kittens or 4 per litter half are female second year you have 300 sows times 4 is 1200 and im talking 4 to 5 years with out trapping you figure it out
Posted By: claycreech

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 02:04 PM

we have those numbers we have a lot of feed guys with feed lots will go out at night and see 40 to 50 coon around their feed bunks plastic wrapped silage bags and you know their not seeing them all corn feilds every where you guys do the math 4 coon per litter a lot of areas havnt seen trapping for 4 to 5 years we see coon running around in the middle of the day almost every time we go some where like i said though big numbers make a lot of inbreeding making poorer quality coon you have 100 sows in a 2to3 mile area which is real low they have 400 kittens or 4 per litter half are female second year you have 300 sows times 4 is 1200 and im talking 4 to 5 years with out trapping you figure it out

Iím not going to debate this lol. Iím unable to prove you wrong. However catching a 1000 coon in a ď2 or 3 mile areaĒ would require a coon population beyond belief IMO.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I dont think may people on here even fur trap,let alone ship fur to auction.

laugh
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 03:02 PM

Well, I guess I won't be around to run over your snares MJM grin

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 03:06 PM

a few years back when guys caught thousands of rats in south dakota was unbleivable to me untill i taked to a few that drove out there and said rats were laying all over the roads the year nafa sold over a million coon and a lot of others bought big numbers also was beyond belief to me and that was when people trapped lol
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by claycreech

Iím not going to debate this lol. Iím unable to prove you wrong. However catching a 1000 coon in a ď2 or 3 mile areaĒ would require a coon population beyond belief IMO.

If there is that many around here I'm not good enough to catch them! grin

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Well, I guess I won't be around to run over your snares MJM grin

You are just lucky I didn't snare a tire. You would still be out there. smile
Posted By: Mike Kelly

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 07:35 PM

3 mile radius from your house is 28.27 square miles.

1200 Coon / 28.27 square miles is 42.5 Coon per square mile.

Thatís within the range of raccoon densities in some areas, but you better have access and traps on nearly all of it to be able to pull anything close to those numbers.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 08:18 PM

3 square miles is 1920 acers or less than 1 coon an acer that isnt very many if they have food water and dont get bothered 3miles from a point is 3miles north then 3 miles south 3miles east and 3 miles west or 6 miles long from point to point really doesnt matter you either have a lot or you dont if you have creeks and a river and a lot of habitat and feed for them like i do you will have a lot of coon and its hard to find some one not coplaining about them lol
Posted By: Mainelogger

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 08:32 PM

Anyone heard anything on castor? I've got castor there all grade#2 and my account says unsold I'm not sure I believe it? I mean it says TBA but I figured the sellers would probably be updated before they posted the prices.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 08:48 PM

it will be another week until they announce castor prices

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 10:08 PM

I did some math on this earlier and used the 3 miles squared and that is 9 squar miles or about 5760 acres or 1/4 of a township. There would be 24 miles of road if laid out in the grid system. Let us say that 1,000 coons are caught in this area by one trapper. To me that could mean double that or more total before season or a coon about ever 2-2.5 acres or a litter every 10 acres. We have decent coon populations from my estimation but nothing like that. If one road trapped all those 24 miles one would catch 40 plus coons per mile of road and that is one trapper. If there were that many coons to trap I am sure others would know that as well.

Bryce

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/04/22 11:38 PM

i know what your talking about have a daughter in reedsburg all together different there your talking 1 road we have a lot of roads a mile apart which means a lot more miles of roads in our area than yours a river six miles long will produce hundreds of coon in the nintys we trapped 2 miles in10 days caught 200 coon do the math on that one if we would have trapped six miles and longer than 10 days
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/05/22 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
3 mile radius from your house is 28.27 square miles.

1200 Coon / 28.27 square miles is 42.5 Coon per square mile.

Thatís within the range of raccoon densities in some areas, but you better have access and traps on nearly all of it to be able to pull anything close to those numbers.

Good math Mike! 28.7 sq. miles is a little over 18,000 acres. That's assuming three miles from the focus of the circle, not a square.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/05/22 03:03 AM

Check out their FHA web page; The SPIN IS ON
sorry for all those on the beaver bus lines. cause you got thrown under
I bet those beaver were sold in Feb by PT well before this auction about the same time China shut down the rabbit skin exports
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/05/22 11:28 AM

China hasn't shut down rabbit exports John

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/05/22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MB Coonguy
China hasn't shut down rabbit exports John

they cant get things out of the ports with the c-19 rules
you are lucky you have your supply but the AU felt guys cant get theirs

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/05/22 02:24 PM

a lot of math is confusing a lot of guys the point is theres a lot more coon than 50 years ago 20years ago and they arnt getting any fewer just keep reproducing in big numbers as long as they stay healthy and have food and water

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/06/22 04:19 PM

a lot of math is confusing a lot of guys the point is theres a lot more coon than 50 years ago 20years ago and they arnt getting any fewer just keep reproducing in big numbers as long as they stay healthy and have food and water

I understood what you were saying.
Posted By: IowaTrapper

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/06/22 08:16 PM

Ya Joe, I do some nuisance work, but I don't promote it or advertise it really as I don't have the time. The past 2 years my wife has been doing college from home every evening from 5-10pm, I don't get off work until 5 and I gotta handle the kids and dinner while she does school work. I do a few things on the weekends but not much as I normally am working my normal job on weekends as well, I learned it's very difficult ultimately to get anything done in a week when your booked from morning until well after dark! Lol

Also my roadline went on average of probably 20 mile diameter from home, it varied a bit as couple places were closer to 30, but other directions I didn't go 5. I feel I live in one of the top raccoon populations in the country. I can't image thst many raccoon in a 3 mile diameter circle.
Posted By: Jpwilson

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/09/22 10:40 AM

Iíve had a western cat at FHA for the last 3 years. It had an excellent grade and when nafa closed up FHA made it available to see what they valued the lots at. I believe this was 2 years ago when it was readily available on their website. At that time the cat was valued at $850. The bobcat finally sold at this sale for $400. Iím not complaining Iím happy it sold and didnít get thrown out! Tough market, wish somebody wouldíve been interested in it a few years ago!
Posted By: KS_Wildman

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/12/22 03:39 AM

I had a raccoon go for $19.00, it was a 4x south central Kansas raccoon, nice surprise. But that was the highest surprise by far.

Re: FHA Sale results - 07/12/22 04:51 AM

I had a raccoon go for $19.00, it was a 4x south central Kansas raccoon, nice surprise. But that was the highest surprise by far.

Cool!. Did that coon get graded Western N/C?
© 2022 Trapperman Forums