Home

Check.

Posted By: Boco

Check. - 06/30/22 10:11 PM

First check today on a couple nuisance beaver spots I set up yesterday.
Nice cool day,13c,a few mosquitos but not many blackflies and no horeseflys.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 080808

Re: Check. - 06/30/22 10:14 PM

Nice.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Check. - 06/30/22 10:22 PM

That’s some nice summer weather you’re having up there Boco. I could get into some 55° weather down here in southeast PA right about now.

What do you do with all those warm season beaver?

Re: Check. - 06/30/22 10:25 PM

Take the castors,and give some carcasses to a guy who has dogs.He gives me free minnows for fishing.
The rest go to my trapline for feed.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Check. - 06/30/22 11:34 PM

you forgot .....yet.....about horse flies
Good job
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 12:18 AM

The hatter market for beaver jumped way up at FHA, percentage wise.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 12:25 AM

With that thread headline I figured FHA already had taken care of you for the latest sale since they love you so much.

The way the hatter market is shaping up those pelts should be put up and sold.

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 12:28 AM

I can see your point if I wrote "cheque".
Like there and their I guess,sound the same different meaning,lol.

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 12:30 AM

Summer beaver have no underfur-no good for the hatter market.
For felt they need underfur.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Americans spell it check, not cheque.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 12:34 AM

Trapline for feed. Seems I've read that before from you or another Canadian. How far from home do you have to go to get to the trapline? Isn't much of your line inaccessible in summer? What species are you hoping to feed?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 01:00 AM

Looks like a good day in some nice country.

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Americans spell it check, not cheque.

Thats why you always get confused.

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Trapline for feed. Seems I've read that before from you or another Canadian. How far from home do you have to go to get to the trapline? Isn't much of your line inaccessible in summer? What species are you hoping to feed?

First and foremost,when you operate in bear country all the time,you are asking for trouble by leaving carcasses in close proximity to where you are working.Not only can it be dangerouse to spook a bear in the evening but you will lose traps and beaver once they get into one.
I trap on 3 traplines,parts of them are very remote,one line is close to town,and one of the remote lines is big enough to touch on some logging roads.When I am doing nuisance work up north on the logging roads I take the carcasses to a few strategic points on the line.When I am doing nuisance work for hydro,or local roads boards,highway dept,municipalities etc I have a couple places on my close trapline for those.The close line is a very good lynx line.The cats love the beaver and its easy to tell when they find them as they drag them a short distance and cover them with duff.
I feed all animals in the foodchain including the small mammals.
Although it is most important to maintain bait stations in late winter especially for marten it is good management to return feed to the foodchain at any time of the year..
At this time of year bears wolves take most,as well as lots of birds.feeding.Microtines benefit also.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 03:19 AM

Nice catch! Looks like you need a four wheel drive, in that area.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 03:40 AM

Give them..the Ol’ Stink Stick Set ?

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 03:48 AM

That and crossovers are the first plan of attack.
Later on the dam break set mops up the stragglers 99% of the time.
Originally Posted by Gator Foot
Nice catch! Looks like you need a four wheel drive, in that area.

4 wheel drive truck will get to 90% of the nuisance spots,the atv gets to the rest.The logging roads are pretty solid even under 3 feet of water,just got to watch out for big holes in the road from beaver tunnelling.The worst ones can swallow the front end.

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 04:13 AM

Just caught a start up pair of beavers ,daming up a small stream behind his house and making a mess…370.00 in beaver Bucks !

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 04:21 AM

Good money in the off season for trappers.
Nuisance beaver work is steady work here-been doing it all my life,full time for years.Just part time now.

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 04:36 AM

For me..it’s my best Nuisance season so far ….28 beavers …6-7 different locations….90.00 per head ..90.00 set up ….65 cents per mile…Or do it yourself.

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 05:08 AM

Sounds good Nessy..
Our fur council is normally good for around 250 a season.Myself,I do around 50 or so.Our nuisance season runs from end of may to end of sept.We charge per beave,milage and for dams removed.
We raised our milage rate this year to 75 per km due to higher gas price.

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 12:27 PM

Our Nuisance season goes from April 11 ..to the End of October.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 01:09 PM

Boco, are there any programs in place there due to excessive beaver numbers? Bounties, for lack of a better term? Currently each tail is worth $50 here so suddenly they’re the money critter.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 01:20 PM

Take the castors,and give some carcasses to a guy who has dogs.He gives me free minnows for fishing.
The rest go to my trapline for feed.

Free minnows ...that's a great barter.

Good Job man
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 01:27 PM

For the amount he goes fishing.....
he's not a Penguin needing minnow feeding every hour.

Originally Posted by rvsask
Boco, are there any programs in place there due to excessive beaver numbers? Bounties, for lack of a better term? Currently each tail is worth $50 here so suddenly they’re the money critter.

and do you ever wonder why guys want to buy tails ?
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 01:41 PM

One could spend his days in the summer months doing worse things than checking a summer nuisance beaver line. i don't help anymore but I spent many summer days helping to store straw and hay in farmers barns. I know there where many years I helped to stack 10,000 to 15,000 bales per year . Looks like pretty country

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by rvsask

Every inch of crown land(and a lot of private land) in Ontario is someones trapline.
Any nuisance beaver calls are referred to the trapper who owns the beaver.
If he does not want to go,he can nominate a trapper to go,or if not,or if the line is vacant, the nuisance beaver co ordinator assigns a competent trapper.All nuisance beaver calls have to be attended to within 24 hours.If no other trapper is available the co ordinator has to go.
The council secretary takes care of all paperwork,billing etc.when the contract is closed.Contracts expire in 2 weeks.contracts are verified by the co ordinators.There are 3 co ordinators in our district covered by our local trappers council.
All trappers doing nuisance work thru the program have to be active and have insurance(as required by clients).The provincial trappers federation provides 5 million 3rd party liability insurance (automatically with membership) for all members doing nuisance work or other trapping related activity.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 05:20 PM

I wouldn’t want to be a canook beaver-just sayin.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 07:15 PM

Good catch!
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Check. - 07/01/22 07:57 PM

ADF&G has local trappers doing it for free. They get to keep the whole animal. This is around Fairbanks!

Re: Check. - 07/02/22 05:52 PM

A couple from todays check-thinning them out.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums