Home

US Army getting a new tank

Posted By: Wolfdog91

US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 03:45 PM

First actual light tank in a few decades. Hopefully they just didn't take an Abrams and shrink it
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigJoe.

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 04:00 PM

When I was in the main tank was the M60, what a beast. During basic training and AIT the new tank coming out was the XM1 (X meaning still in the experimental stage) what a huge improvement over the M60.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 04:05 PM

The Hypersonic missile will take it out before they detect it coming!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 04:24 PM

One can only hope that the inside is decorated a little lore tasteful than that dull and angular outside styling. Will it come with a make up mirror above the gun sight ?? What different smells are available for the air freshening system ?? Will it have a safe space ( gender neutral ) ?? Will it have book shelves ??
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 04:26 PM

I was an army tracked vehicle mechanic in the late 70's. The M60 was the main battle tank back then. There was talk of the new M1 Abrams but I never got to drive one. Tanks have come a long way in the last forty years.
Posted By: gcs

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 05:05 PM

Just read a week ago the Germans have come up with a tank that's supposed to be the bestest of anyones. supposedly a lighter adaption of their Leopard tank with all new tech, weapons and protection features. Seems like tank warfare is back in the forefront with the russian troubles....
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 05:17 PM

Both recent wars involving tanks have been a catastrophe for tanks. When a $2,000 drone can take one out what's the point?
Posted By: Marty

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 05:27 PM

The army wizards who said the afgan army could hold off the tali for years approved this tank model...marines have got rid of tanks as I understand that..
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 06:35 PM

just a few years ago we were told tanks are obsolete

air superiority was everything

the issue is sometimes air support just isn't available

so there will always be some need for armor and big guns call it the Diversification plan

it also seems that we are in the cold war rebooted , the Russia China threats if we are or if we aren't those are the tools the military is gearing up for a war with a major power.

it looks like that tank might have a trailer hitch , which could be a smart idea , pull a trailer with munitions and fuel because resupply is an issue set it up for unmanned drop
Posted By: KOSOI

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 07:43 PM

send these tanks to the khokhli, we'll check how they burn.....
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 07:47 PM

Why .... is the T72 BBQ season over already
Posted By: TC1

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/01/22 08:25 PM

In todays world probably not a good return on investment. Unless as a politician, you are hooked up with the companies getting the contracts for these I would guess. Don’t get me wrong, I think tanks are BA, just in todays warfare they are pretty susceptible to drones and guided munitions. Now, 40 + years ago I’m all in!
Posted By: run

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/02/22 10:46 AM

It should help keep the price of scrap metal on the up and up. Some of these tanks are made in Pennsylvania. I wonder what the engine is?
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/02/22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by KOSOI
send these tanks to the khokhli, we'll check how they burn.....

....and in the meantime Russia will continue to fire missiles at Ukraine civilians. Talk about a CS outfit !
Posted By: k snow

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/02/22 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by run
It should help keep the price of scrap metal on the up and up. Some of these tanks are made in Pennsylvania. I wonder what the engine is?

With the current administration in charge, wouldn't surprise me if they are electric, and the hitch is for a generator.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/02/22 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by run

With the current administration in charge, wouldn't surprise me if they are electric, and the hitch is for a generator.

grin
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/02/22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by run

So i guess the generator will need a hitch to pull its fuel wagon, just for cloudy days of course. Designing those solar panels with camouflage was a great feat for Joe and his right hand gal Greta.
Posted By: run

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/02/22 03:51 PM

I wasn't even thinking about electrical power. But you guys might be right, LOL.
Posted By: Squash

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/02/22 03:53 PM

The industrial military complex at its best, some members of Congress gettin big kick back. Hope they are electric powered ?
Posted By: HayDay

Re: US Army getting a new tank - 07/02/22 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
The industrial military complex at its best, some members of Congress gettin big kick back. Hope they are electric powered ?

That's what I keep wondering.. How much of this fits an actual need vs. how much of it is just something expensive to sell to guvmint?

Aside from this tank, all the new weapons from Sig come to mind.

As for any tank, seeing what those switchblade drones are doing to the Ruskies.......anybody with a little imagination and access to aerial surveillance technology ought to be able to come up with a system to wipe them out en masse. Sitting ducks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums