Home

Another mower question!!!!

Posted By: Gary Benson

Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 05:19 PM

So I have a Craftsman riding mower, and the compression of the engine is more than the battery and starter is designed to handle. If you just stand on the key it will eventually turn over and start but not like it should. My Son has the same problem with a newer Husqvarna. What's the fix?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 05:26 PM

If you hook up a set of jumper cables or a battery booster pack to provide more electrical power , does it turn better and start easier?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 05:28 PM

Many larger engines have a compression relief valve for starting, if it's sticking that could be your problem. Good luck

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
If you hook up a set of jumper cables or a battery booster pack to provide more electrical power , does it turn better and start easier?

I'll try that.

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Many larger engines have a compression relief valve for starting, if it's sticking that could be your problem. Good luck

Thank you. I'll check it out. It's a B & S.

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I'll try that.

with them making every thing cheaper and cheaper , undersized cables and smallest possible starter and cheap undersize battery would all lead to a mower that started fine when brand new but as anything took power from it it had to build up momentum to get rpm high enough to start

Posted By: jk

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 08:38 PM

Got the same problem with my Husky. I just got used to hooking u the battery charger before I plan to use it. will be checking on this post often to wee what you all say........jk
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 08:43 PM

battery may be dieing

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jk
Got the same problem with my Husky. I just got used to hooking u the battery charger before I plan to use it. will be checking on this post often to wee what you all say........jk

having a fully charged batter helps compensate for the often undersized batteries used

a battery maintainer mounted to the tractor that you just keep plugged in all the time when not in use can get you out and working faster . very common way to keep running equipment with questionable batteries longer
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 08:54 PM

I have an older 24 HP Husquvarna and had similar issues. The last 3 years now I plug in the charger and put it on boost for about 15 minutes and she turns right over.

Bryce

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 09:54 PM

Thanks guys.....I'll try the battery charger.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Thanks guys.....I'll try the battery charger.

Before you do that , check the connections are clean , shiny and tight. You may not need a charger. It could be that simple.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 11:27 PM

heat kills batteries more than cold

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/01/22 11:50 PM

definitely clean your battery connections also if they look at all corroded that can be a definite cause of loss and is the lowest cost thing to do cleaning your own.

also I have't not gotten a battery on the 3 year warranty in a while 2 year 10-11 months and the batteries have been starting to give me issues , thing is to recognize it right away and get it in before the date on the receipt.

an easy test is set a timer for 10 minutes turn on your head lights if your vehicle won't start after your lights have been on 10 minutes go have the battery tested before you are out of warranty.

the smaller lawn tractor batteries you lucky to get 2 seasons from them the battery maintainers do help.
Posted By: Oleo Acres

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/02/22 12:13 AM

If they're 2 cylinder , get your valves adjusted . I had same problem with a 23 horse , worked like a charm after my small engine repair buddy adjusted them .
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/02/22 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oleo Acres
If they're 2 cylinder , get your valves adjusted . I had same problem with a 23 horse , worked like a charm after my small engine repair buddy adjusted them .

I can verify ... this is critical.
B&S V twin.
There is a centrifugal compression release built into the camshaft. It barely bumps a valve open to ease the load on the system when starting.
Also, they had a big problem with a lot of the cams. There was no recall, but they wore a lobe off quite quickly. There was a new # for the replacement cam.
The slightest lobe wear, or even a very minor maladjustment of the valves requires much more power to turn it over against the compression.

I bought several quite cheap (knowing what the problem was) little over $200 in parts and worked like a champ, just like when bought new.
Valve adjustment is most critical .... and of course the condition of the cam.
18 HP, IIRC
Guy took it to a shop who bought and charged him for a new bat., then new solenoid, then new starter, then .... gave up and gave it to me.
New cam and 1 new tappet .... been running fine for 4 years now. (full synthetic oil, recommended by mfg)
Posted By: GRP

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/02/22 01:11 AM

^ This is all spot on. Let me add 1 thing to check. Most b&s starter gears are plastic. When they get some wear, the valleys of the gear teeth start to fill in, and it increases the force necessary to start. Have fixed multiple machines that started hard by putting a new gear on.

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/02/22 11:02 AM

Very good into! Will check into it. Thanks a bunch guys.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Another mower question!!!! - 07/03/22 04:15 AM

My money is on valves that need adjusting. There was some single cylinders that had a decompression valve that would wear out and cause this problem also.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums