Home

You guys with tacomas?

Posted By: ZAC

You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 10:55 PM

Are you running 10ply tires? It’s hard round here to find tires for my 19 taco that are 10ply. Just not common in my size. Will 10ply sacrifice ride on normal roads?
Posted By: ZAC

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 11:01 PM

I drive 80% on country roads and good highways. But when I do get in the s__t! It’s the real deal. I’d love to hear what AT tires you recommend also
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 11:03 PM

My current Tacoma has the factory tires which I figure are 4 ply rated. The heaviest I ever ran on my last one was 6 ply. I have a Jeep with 10 ply rated tires. It doesn't really feel any different than lighter tires that I have run. Only running 30-32 psi on the Jeep 10 plies.
Posted By: super cub

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 11:06 PM

I run 8 ply, those pickups are lightweight, I haven't had any flats on mine and they last good.
I've been running toyo tires. I'm on my second set
Posted By: white marlin

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 11:10 PM

I run 10-ply in the winter for trapping/hunting.

Mine's only a 5 speed four cylinder. I'm pretty sure my gas mileage suffers (but haven't officially checked the numbers).
Posted By: charles

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 11:15 PM

Many years ago my dad had a trailer with an odd hub and size rim. He had to buy airplane tires for it. I think they were ten ply.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 11:33 PM

I run 10 ply on my Tacoma. 4-ply don’t last around here.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 11:36 PM

You should be able to get a BFG ko2 all terrain in an E load range .

What size tire and rim do you have now ?

I run them on my 1/2 ton Chevy to prevent flats while off pavement .

They are definitely stiffer but roll true and smooth

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/01/22 11:48 PM

I just put a new set on a few months ago . The last set i got 60k miles and they weren't completely done , happy happy
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 12:07 AM

All I ever ran was 4ply the last 1,000,000 plus miles the past 30 years. They are 10.5/31/15. The roughest roads I ever ran were logging roads rocked with slag.

I've been running these for the past ten years and they've performed well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 01:24 AM

i've run a number of different heavy tires on a couple of tacos but i specifically opted for C range 6 plys for my current set. tacomas ride kinda poorly to begin with and i didnt want the weight of them sucking down gas given that they also dont get the best mileage. but my miles are either on roads or completely off road----not much in between. however around here off road means either nasty clay farm fields or loose bottomless sand. there is no rock, sharp edges etc. i've punctured exactly one tire in the last couple of decades and that was a 10 ply e rated on a piece of steel in the middle of a field.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 01:26 AM

rocks, we got!

(it's "soil" that seems in short supply...)
Posted By: OKforester

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 02:31 AM

I run 10 ply Hankook Dynapros on my 2020 Tacoma. It’s a little stiffer ride than the factory tires but not too noticeable. Our local tire stores keep a good supply of 10 ply in stock.
Posted By: k snow

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 02:33 AM

Not a Tacoma, but I run 10 ply BFG KO's on a Sierra half ton. Definitely a stiffer ride, but not bad. I lost 1 mpg compared to stock tires. I'll trade that for not having to worry about flats near as much when off road.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 03:38 AM

10 ply is the only way to travel on co roads around here. 6plys get chewed up quick. I have been running falken 10ply but they have went way up in price. Just got some Goodyear duratrax 10ply for 1100$ ordered today sick

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur
10 ply is the only way to travel on co roads around here. 6plys get chewed up quick. I have been running falken 10ply but they have went way up in price. Just got some Goodyear duratrax 10ply for 1100$ ordered today sick

Did that come with a discount if you took Goodyear's " how to be less white " class ? laugh
Posted By: Squash

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 06:32 AM

I run 10 ply on my Tundra, ride and mileage suffers, but driving logging roads here , 4 and 6 ply will not last.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 11:03 AM

I ran a Tacoma for years and I usually went with Cooper's 10 ply because of off road hazards.
I think they were the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT All- Terrain Radial 10-ply.
Great tire.
Mid range price.

Now I pay more for buggie tires.... the RP 12 ply.... than my truck tires.
Go figure.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 12:25 PM

I run the bfg ko 2s on my Ford f150 hauling a 100 gallon fuel tank on bush roads. Running 60 lbs air get 2 years or more to a set around 60000 km. Best tire I have found for what I do. Only flat I had was a railway spike.
Posted By: adam m

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 12:44 PM

I've always use 10 ply.

Order them online a tire shop will charge you minimal to switch them
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/02/22 01:43 PM

I was young and broke when I had my sr5. I ran whatever the biggest all terrain with highest mileage rating were on sale or just the best value at the time. That often was not the cheapest option. I don't think I ever had over a 6 ply and never had issues on road or off. Pulled a lot of trailer loads way to heavy for that truck but I was young and didn't know better. Best money I ever spent on a truck was on that truck.
Posted By: ks wolfer

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/04/22 09:16 PM

10 ply load range E tires on my 13 Tacoma--- hercules terra trac-- never stuck and we go serious places. Run 60lbs in them they are rated for 80. dirt and gravel roads 80-100 mile a day. I use to be a contactor and ran 200 plus miles a day 99percent dirt roads witha toyota venza and I ran bridge stone duelers and I learned to over inflate those to keep flats to minimum. 2 flats a week at the 32lb rating-- 1 a month at 44 lbs and I could get 50-60,000 miles out of them. Wouldnt recommend over inflating other tires but it worked and it makes you scratch your head-- did it for five years and 255,000 miles on that vehicle.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/04/22 10:58 PM

I run bf Goodrich ko 2 and get around 80 thousand out of them, on my 3rd set on my 13 Tacoma
They ware perfectly even. Only rotate them twice for the life of the tire
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: You guys with tacomas? - 07/04/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur

Did that come with a discount if you took Goodyear's " how to be less white " class ? laugh

Ah chit did I support another woke company?!? Didn't know about Goodyear
© 2024 Trapperman Forums