Home

Wall hanger trap treatment

Posted By: uncleduck

Wall hanger trap treatment - 07/02/22 01:10 AM

Any suggestions to treat some old rusted wall hanger traps? Currently have orange rust that leaves rust all over your hands. I'd like to get that brown smooth rusted look but not powdery orange rust. Any suggestions? Thought about rubbing them down with some oil but thought I'd heck here for suggestions first. Thanks
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Wall hanger trap treatment - 07/02/22 01:14 AM

I think you're on the right track with the oil. Maybe a good work over with a wire brush and then a light coating of oil. Maybe try a small area on the bottom first to see if it gives you the look you want before doing the whole trap.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Wall hanger trap treatment - 07/02/22 01:19 AM

I dyed and waxed a half-dozen Northwood 1.75's that I retired and they became wall-hangers. Other wall hangers had the smooth rust you mentioned. Never had the powdery orange rust. Maybe tumbled them in some sort of media to knock the loose rust off but not long enough to shine them?
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Wall hanger trap treatment - 07/02/22 01:19 AM

Burnt Cylinder Oil (used motor oil)....Lasts for years, seeps in every nook and cranny, and turns them a semi-dark chocolate color.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wall hanger trap treatment - 07/02/22 03:21 AM

that patina-ed look without oil that will stain your walls , BLO boiled linseed oil

it is used on old metal tools and signs to keep the patina look without having rust flaking off or continuing to rust.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Wall hanger trap treatment - 07/02/22 10:14 AM

I second GCP I power washed a few wall hangers. When dry I then dipped in BLO swung them around a bit outside, then hung to dry. They look great hanging behind the woodstove.
Posted By: uncleduck

Re: Wall hanger trap treatment - 07/02/22 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone the suggestions. I'll test them out today
© 2024 Trapperman Forums