Home

Blackstone griddle

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 10:07 AM

Been wanting one for a little bit. Wife asked if I was finally getting rid of my 20 + year old several times rebuilt heavy cast Charm Glow grill. I said NO! I cannot cook everything on a Blackstone griddle, some things need fire and smoke. At my cabin it's still a very old charcoal Weber kettle, or over the oak coals in the fire pit. Just thinking breakfast's or veggies would be easier on the griddle. Folks with the griddles still using your grills?
Posted By: John C

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 10:14 AM

Yes I use my Napoleon grill and my 28” black stone griddle. I make breakfast, burgers, fried rice, Fajitas, amd much more on my black stone. The grill gets steaks, chickens, pork chops, ribs,burgers and Carolina Brightleaf Hot dogs on it.
Posted By: Hornytoad1

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 10:32 AM

I like my Blackstone. You can make a lot of stuff at one time on it. For me it gets used the most for breakfast. You can turn out a stack of french toast or pancakes in no time. It's another tool in a person's cooking arsenal.
Posted By: ack

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 10:45 AM

I like my propane grill and my smoker but i cant do this on either. Wife bought me this 22 i ch portablefor the camper.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LDW

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 10:57 AM

I have a 17in PitBoss griddle for the camper. I still need my Green Mountain pellet grill for cooking some stuff. I also cook alot over wood coals, especially steaks, burgers and pork chops.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:02 AM

I have the 17 blackstone and really like it

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hornytoad1
I like my Blackstone. You can make a lot of stuff at one time on it. For me it gets used the most for breakfast. You can turn out a stack of french toast or pancakes in no time. It's another tool in a person's cooking arsenal.

Yep its a breakfast food machine!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:08 AM

Hard to beat thr griddles unless you need fire/smoke ive got a 22" thats bug enough to cook for a big group yet small enough to not make you dread transporting it

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ack
I like my propane grill and my smoker but i cant do this on either. Wife bought me this 22 i ch portablefor the camper.

[Linked Image]

Now, that is what I had in mind! I agree on the breakfast aspect. But my garden is 30 foot from my outdoor kitchen area!! Still thinking any meat should have flame....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:14 AM

My children teamed up to buy me the 4 burner - heavy as a sun-a-gun - Blackstone. Thing is impressive and full of gadgetry.
I've enrolled in a 12 week college course to learn how to use it, which may be a smidge longer than learning how to fly a Cessna.
When they began explaining to dad (me) how much I could cook and grill on it, I asked them if they were all moving back home?
And then I gave them all a big hug and told them I love 'em. Grill or no grill.

Thing weighs 200+ lbs.
Bigger than most feral hogs I plug.
And it will grill starting "today."

Blessings!
Mark

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
My children teamed up to buy me the 4 burner - heavy as a sun-a-gun - Blackstone. Thing is impressive and full of gadgetry.
I've enrolled in a 12 week college course to learn how to use it, which may be a smidge longer than learning how to fly a Cessna.
When they began explaining to dad (me) how much I could cook and grill on it, I asked them if they were all moving back home?
And then I gave them all a big hug and told them I love 'em. Grill or no grill.

Thing weighs 200+ lbs.
Bigger than most feral hogs I plug.
And it will grill starting "today."

Blessings!
Mark

Yep I hear they get better with use. Like a cast iron skillet. They get seasoned with use.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:35 AM

The Blackstones are cast iron... Or well the cooking surface is
Posted By: mutt

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:40 AM

I have a 36" blackstone, a 3 burner propane grill, a webber charcoal grill, and a smoker. When we camp i bring only the blackstone as I can cook burgers, pork chops, ext.... and all the breakfeast or anything else you can think.

I would never get rid of the other cookers at home. Some days I just crave a good charcoal burger or steak. Other days the kids want pork chops or burgers and I dont feel like waiting for coals so the propane gets uncovered. The grill is less clean up to me.( Crank the heat and wire brush. The griddle I scrape clean and oil.)

Grill also does better on windy days than my griddle. My griddle has a gap between the griddle and frame/burners that the wind blows through. It still works, but deffinatly doesnt get as hot as on a calm day. I know there are ways to fix that, but I haven't felt it worth the time when I already have the other cookers.
Posted By: Seek

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:50 AM

I have been eyeing a Blackstone. They appear very practical, but I still love my Big Green Egg.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:55 AM

Just got one. It's still in the box though. I want to eat more vegetables and grilling is my preference. Thing weighs a ton. I'm finishing a new house to move into, so I hauled it over to there so I didn't have to move it twice. With the griddle and the smokers, I think I'll have things covered.

It sounds like you have a really nice bunchs of kids you raised Mark.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 12:45 PM

They are amazing. I've had mine for a year and cook on it all the time. Mine has an air fry and warming basket
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 12:53 PM

I am amazed what you can do on it, I have the 28" pro with a hood. Meat tastes better because you can sear it and it holds in the moisture and food cooks in its own juices adding flavor.
Wife wanted a shrimp stir fry. You can cook and steam the vegetables by adding a dome, then some Asian pre cooked noodles, then cook the shrimp, mix together and add some teriyaki sauce to finsh it off.
Was really good and fun to make.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 01:48 PM

Thank you all for the info.

Just saw a cooking video on the success of searing steaks to perfection on a griddle. The chef swore that preparing good steak was superior on a hot griddle than a grill, and in watching it, the finished product had every bit the appearance of a grilled steak , minus the rack lines. But cooked just right nonetheless. Perfectly browned and seared , seasonings , juicy and rare as you want inside.

I can't recall what griddle he used, but the idea stuck in my mind. Portable, and can be used in places where a grill cannot.

To me, this griddle seems like a big flat version of a wok for stir-fry. But even more versatile for other foods not prepared in the wok. It does look like a great addition to the chef's tools.

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Seek
I have been eyeing a Blackstone. They appear very practical, but I still love my Big Green Egg.

Different tools for different jobs. We all have screw drivers AND hammers

BGE is amazing grill too!
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner
[quote=Seek]

Different tools for different jobs. We all have screw drivers AND hammers
o!

Exactly. I love my Blackstone yet it doesn't, won't, can't replace a grill.
Posted By: greenhead

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 02:39 PM

I have the 36 inch blackstone griddle and absolutely love it. I cook everything on it. Ill never go back to a regular grill.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 08:57 PM

I couldn't take all the flat top talk so I had to buy one today. In the seasoning process now. It's not a Blackstone, but the Sam's Club brand was only $200. I couldn't justify another $400 for the Blackstone.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stewie

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 09:23 PM

Any suggestions to get it seasoned better. I have one we take camping and the surface is pretty rough. Some things like eggs stick terrible. I seasoned it according to the instructions when new. Maybe I just haven't used it enough.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 09:25 PM

That looks very nice, trapperK . Looks like you can roll that anywhere and enjoy. I bet you are in for some fun.

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stewie
Any suggestions to get it seasoned better. I have one we take camping and the surface is pretty rough. Some things like eggs stick terrible. I seasoned it according to the instructions when new. Maybe I just haven't used it enough.

I'll let you know how this works out, lol. So far, just following mfg instructions. Basically, lightly oil, bring to smoking temp and continue heat for 30 minutes, repeat, repeat. It looks like it's going to require a 12 pack before I get to cook something. cool

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 10:14 PM

Is it possible you aren't getting it clean? Sometimes I use a scouring pad made by Blackstone to clean mine. Seasonings really like to bake on and not come off.

You may have eto strip it down and start over.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/02/22 11:23 PM

We bought a Weber Grill 47 years ago and it still works great on many items. I especially like it for larger birds like my wild turkey. I can cook slowly for several hours and baste etc. while doing numerous other outdoor tasks. It has made it throghmany T-storms too when I forgot t get it in the garage.

Bryce
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 10:52 AM

47 years Bryce? That's a Guinness Book of Records grill.
Although I may have shirts that old also (according to my wife).
Some things are just meant to keep.

Keep on grilling my friend.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 10:59 AM

I broke down and bought one a few months ago. Great for grilling Jalapeno‘s and onions before grinding them up for salsa and perfect for making Jesse Kelly burgers.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 11:45 AM

If you're into Blackstone grills, the best source I know of for seasoning and cooking recipes is: "The Hungry Hussy" on YouTube. :-)
Posted By: bass10

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by greenhead
I have the 36 inch blackstone griddle and absolutely love it. I cook everything on it. Ill never go back to a regular grill.

[quote=greenhead]

I second that, went on a turkey hunt in Michigan and the guy up there had one. I went home told the wife about it and got on that may from her. Man is it awesome, my wife is always coming up with things and ways to cook on it. I will never look back, wanna get a smaller one for home now!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 12:07 PM

i have often thought about getting one thanks guys

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 05:39 PM

Well, I fired up my new Member's Mark brand flattop grill. Apparently, I followed the seasoning process correctly. Nothing stuck to it. I started with some crappy, thin bacon and found my temperature to be a bit high. Cooked off a half pound in about 3 minutes. Lol. I then lowered the temp a bit and fryed up another half pound of good, thick bacon. Turned out perfect. Pushed that to the side and dumped on some hash browns . Had the turn up the heat a bit on one side for that, started some over-easy eggs when the hasbrowns were almost done. They cooked perfectly and did not stick at all. The cooking surface doesn't appear to heat all that evenly, but it seems to cook pretty evenly, if that makes sense. After the first use, I would, definitely, recommend this grill. It's going to save me a ton on air conditioning the house by cooking outside!
Posted By: LDW

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 06:09 PM

While the surface is still hot, squirt some water on it and scrape real good. After that wipe down with a paper towel and oil lightly.

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 07:06 PM

how do you guys keep them clean? Mine seems to be amagnet for sawdust and dirt. Maybe I need to get a carry bag for it....17 inch blackstone adventure series

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 07:08 PM

I use a handheld IR thermometer. Definitely some hot spots but the cast iron does help to distribute the heat once it heats up. The burner is H shaped though...

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Well, I fired up my new Member's Mark brand flattop grill. Apparently, I followed the seasoning process correctly. Nothing stuck to it. I started with some crappy, thin bacon and found my temperature to be a bit high. Cooked off a half pound in about 3 minutes. Lol. I then lowered the temp a bit and fryed up another half pound of good, thick bacon. Turned out perfect. Pushed that to the side and dumped on some hash browns . Had the turn up the heat a bit on one side for that, started some over-easy eggs when the hasbrowns were almost done. They cooked perfectly and did not stick at all. The cooking surface doesn't appear to heat all that evenly, but it seems to cook pretty evenly, if that makes sense. After the first use, I would, definitely, recommend this grill. It's going to save me a ton on air conditioning the house by cooking outside!
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 09:52 PM

[Linked Image]

Well, after reading all these posts and listening to my son about his Blackstone, I walked into a deal on a Pit Boss 2 burner at Farm and Fleet for $109.99. Spent the morning seasoning it and of course the first thing I cooked on it was a pound of bacon. We're going to try a Ribeye and hash brown tonight.

I wanted a small, portable one for in our motorhome.

This is going to be fun!

Moosetrot

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/03/22 10:34 PM

We should be in sales, lol

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/04/22 12:13 AM

Ribeye came out perfect and the hash browns were the best I have ever had. Gonna be a good breakfast tomorrow!

Moosetrot

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/04/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Ribeye came out perfect and the hash browns were the best I have ever had. Gonna be a good breakfast tomorrow!

Moosetrot

I don't know if I could make myself drop a ribeye on anything but a grate over a fire. However, I'll second the hash browns. Best ever!

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/04/22 12:36 AM

Blackstone types griddles really shine at breakfast time. I used the crap out of the 36 inch one I have at the lake this weekend. Pound of bacon on there and a dozen french toast.

Get one of these for eggs, you guys will thank me latter.

[Linked Image]

Chicken, steak, and shrimp fajitas on it tonight.

Originally Posted by ILcooner
how do you guys keep them clean? Mine seems to be amagnet for sawdust and dirt. Maybe I need to get a carry bag for it....17 inch blackstone adventure series

Get a carrying bag, have one for my 22 inch, love it.

Re: Blackstone griddle - 07/12/22 12:04 AM

Well, I've cooked on this thing about 6 times now. Did breakfast a couple times, fried rice, fried noodles for sweet/sour pork, burgers and mushrooms and onions for a steak topper. Love this thing! Nothing sticks and it takes about 2 minutes to scrape clean while it's hot, then give it a light coat of canola before I put it to bed. Highly recommend!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/15/22 12:06 PM

Has anyone seen a black stone with a side burner? Sure would be handy for a lot of things.
Posted By: kiyote

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/15/22 12:41 PM

https://www.bbqguys.com/blackstone-...-griddle-cooking-station-w-rangetop-1963
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/15/22 12:49 PM

I like mine buddy.

I have the 28" "Adventure Ready" model. Legs fold up so it is somewhat portable. Take it camping when we do the annual Jellystone trip.

Love it for breakfast, burgers, steaks, basically anything. Done everything from wild turkey, asparagus, green beans, venison, to reverse searing a tri-tip I pulled off the Traeger. Real versatile. East to clean. Kinda bulky though.

Said I'd get rid of my propane grill, but haven't yet.

I love waking up early on a weekend and dumping a pile of hashbrowns, eggs and bacon on it and feeding the family. Or having friends over and doing a bunch of dogs, brats, burgers, and veggies.

They make a rig to do pizzas on it. My brother has that and loves it.

Don't think it's technically "cast" iron but you treat it the same.

Reverse sear on tri-tip (being overseen by Raider)
[Linked Image]

Blackened Tbones and green beans
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/15/22 05:24 PM

A friend has one a lot like Flicker Shad's. She made burgers and fried potatoes and they were great. Next time I brought duck and she made a stir fry with her garden veggies...that was fantastic. She's religious about cleaning and oiling/seasoning the griddle
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/15/22 05:26 PM

Hers also has an air fryer
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/15/22 05:43 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Terry Howard

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/16/22 01:24 AM

When I do a reverse sear steak I sear it on the Blackstone. It does it perfectly

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/16/22 11:56 AM

First cook should be a huge pile of onions. There are some pretty good videos on why onions.

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/16/22 12:00 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RvzhBN1-AvA
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/16/22 06:39 PM

I have the Adventure 22. It is the perfect size for us and I like that it has a detachable stand. We use it mostly for breakfast. You can make a lot of good food fast on one. Mine will be frying up eggs, bacon, sausage, HBs, etc tomorrow morning in a parking lot at Jack Trice stadium!

Re: Blackstone griddle - 09/16/22 08:58 PM

Since we got our Pit Boss 17" in early July, we have cooked virtually every meal and honestly had a blast doing it. Steaks of all types, thicknesses, and sizes were done to perfection using a probe thermometer. My wife bones out chicken thighs and we put them on a hot griddle skin side down so the skin get nice and crisp. I make the smashed potatoes in bulk so we always have some leftover for breakfast or whatever the next meal may be. I "toast" the potato skins a little before smashing them and it adds to the flavor. I always use real butter with the potatoes mixed with a little avocado oil so the butter does not burn. We've made pizza, shrimp, Naan Bread, stir frys of all kinds, Bratwurst, and every breakfast combination I can come up with. Everything has been great and very easily done.

We bought the smaller griddle because it is just the two of us plus it fits in one of the outside compartments of our motorhome. We just got back from a week-long trip up on the shores of Lake Superior and we did not even take our gas grill. We bought a big, thick Ribeye for Sunday, our 40th Anniversary, and it was done perfectly using the probe thermometer.

For clean-up I scrape off the big chunks then give it a couple squirts of water, moving the boiling water across the hot griddle using the scraper. I usually do that twice. Then I move all the water, etc. into the grease trap and let the griddle dry good. A light coat of oil and it's done. I have never had anything stick while cooking.

I have a large gas grill I have used to cook on year round for several years. It needs some replacement burners, etc. The cost of fixing up the old grill is higher than the cost of buying a larger, covered griddle for strictly home use, so the gas grill is going out for the scrappers this weekend. I have grilled a lot and very successfully for decades, but there's nothing I can't do with the griddle. It has been more fun making better food than I ever imagined it would be.

"May your griddle never cool!"

Moosetrot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums