Home

Going price for 16/4 Ash ??

Posted By: Canvasback2

Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/03/22 06:33 PM

Just seen a price for an Ash plank.

31 inches wide x 69 inches long x 4 inches thick. Price was $580.00 .

Is that about what they are going for now ?? I thought Ash was cheaper than $9.00 + a Board Foot.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/03/22 08:03 PM

Thank Emerald Ash Borer for that
it will be like Elm soon
Posted By: run

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/03/22 09:19 PM

If it's not eaten up by the nasty insect, it's probably worth it. If I was buying ash lumber I would go through each piece before I buy.
Posted By: old243

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 01:14 AM

Thick wide slabs are easy to sell. Especially if they have live edge. bark still on. Used for river tables , furniture etc. old 243
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 01:18 AM

We still have a ton of Ash out here, for that price I'll send semi loads back East.
Posted By: Bass1

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 01:46 AM

Ash is getting harder to find. Ash Borer is the culprit. I was at the lumber dealer where I buy my hardwoods and they had a stock of 5/4 x 10 x 8' in stock, 10 of them. I bought them all for just over $200.00. I built stairs and get 2-3 jobs a year for ash stairs. I can buy the treads from a mill in Ohio but have to make the landing treads and newel l posts, so I keep an inventory of ash.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by run
If it's not eaten up by the nasty insect, it's probably worth it. If I was buying ash lumber I would go through each piece before I buy.

As far as I know the EAB only damages the outer layer of the tree just under the bark. And there will probably be bird peck on EAB-killed ash. Not really a big problem.

I think $9.00 a BF is a little high although you're paying a premium for the width and thickness.
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 03:19 AM

Ash is all gone here other than small diameter re-sprouts. Not sure what the BF price is locally.

I timbered my easy-to-get-to ash when I saw the EAB coming. Got right around 1800 BF of spalted boards kiln dried and T&G. Did my garage in it. Turned out very nice.

I'm in the process of getting ready to advertise a few live edge, bark on, 12/4 cherry 8-footers. Thinking maybe $5-ish/BF ?? Not sure.

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 11:00 AM

The ash I have seen is eaten clear through. I'm not an insect expert could be another insect has gotten into the already damaged ash not sure . But it's worthless for lumber. Great firewood though.

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 12:09 PM

I don’t think that’s from the EAB run, must be from some other boring insect. Here is a picture of an EAB-killed ash on my property.

[Linked Image]

Here is a close-up.

[Linked Image]

All the dead ash on my property look like that. They have those shallow tunnels just under the bark but no holes bored any deeper.

Here are some carpenter bee traps I milled out of some EAB killed ash. There are no holes in the inner wood.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 12:23 PM

all our ash is dead
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 12:51 PM

Still have lots of larger dead Ash standing and lots of pole stage Ash that looks unaffected not to mention just tons of seedlings all over the place.
Time will tell if any of the smaller stuff survives to a decent size.
Still have a few American Elm that are about 8-10" dia in the woods.

I have sawn up a couple of Ash trees for lumber, not my favorite wood. As far as firewood I have better stuff so the Ash just rots and falls to the ground.
Posted By: jk

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 01:07 PM

Our roads here are lined with standing dead ash just waiting for a wind to knock them down..........jk
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 01:16 PM

Sad deal

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
I have sawn up a couple of Ash trees for lumber, not my favorite wood. As far as firewood I have better stuff so the Ash just rots and falls to the ground.

I like working with ash. It's similar in appearance ( minus the medullary rays) and hardness to white oak but less expensive. I've always heard you can burn unseasoned ash and not get a lot of creosote. I guess that will be a mute point with most of the ash dead, no green stuff to burn even if you wanted to.

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 01:45 PM

We have dead ash along the roads here in Virginia too. Generally speaking, it's splits easily.

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 01:47 PM

I like burning Ash for Firewood, I pretty much only burn Ash, Maple and Elm, I give my Oak away as I don't like the smell of the sawdust and have a slight allergy to it.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 03:23 PM

I have about 3 40’s of black ash that I should really cut before it all dies but it’s
Hard to get in there until it freezes I I should bring some to a mill and get some boards made.
Anyone use black ash?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 03:32 PM

I lost about 350 ash trees to Emerald Ash Borers on my farm 4 or 5 years ago. At least 6 large ash trees are still alive, though damaged. They have many thousands of seeds on them this year. I have many hundreds of small ash trees that grew from the seeds produced by the other ash trees when they were dying.

Keith

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
I have about 3 40’s of black ash that I should really cut before it all dies but it’s
Hard to get in there until it freezes I I should bring some to a mill and get some boards made.
Anyone use black ash?

A sawmill guy was telling me a customer did black ash paneling on a ceiling and it was beautiful
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Anyone use black ash?

A sawmill guy was telling me a customer did black ash paneling on a ceiling and it was beautiful

My garage was done in white ash. The lumber is very similar. Black ash.......as a general rule.........has a more highly contrasting grain pattern.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 08:09 PM

12/4 ash FAS about $1200/mbf. No listing for 16/4 but would guess approx $2000/mbf.

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 08:54 PM

Those are not milled/dried prices are they Mike?
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Going price for 16/4 Ash ?? - 07/04/22 11:40 PM

No, green lumber. 16/4 kiln dried ash would have a good premium.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums