Home

Unique self defense tools

Posted By: AJE

Unique self defense tools - 07/03/22 06:46 PM

I went to 1 of the midwest's biggest flea markets yesterday. It was in Hatfielfd. I was surprised by all the unique self defense tools on sale..numchucks, swords, brass nuckles, throwing stars, knives, and saps. I had never heard of a sap (aka Blackjack) before. The guy w/ me was a retired police officer. He said some officers used to carry saps years ago. I wonder if all these tools are legal, to possess &/or carry. Maybe it makes a difference if a person has a concealed carry permit. While all defense tools take practice, I imagine the throwing star maybe requires the most practice. It was an intereresting event.

Posted By: Marty

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/03/22 06:56 PM

knuckles/saps most likely illegal in most states.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/03/22 07:26 PM

Same as firearms. Free states enjoy more liberty than democrat ones.

All of those items are legal to own and carry here.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/03/22 07:45 PM

Many things can be used as a weapon and are legal to carry.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/03/22 09:52 PM

Learn to use your fists.
Always available and always concealed until you curl your fingers.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Many things can be used as a weapon and are legal to carry.

A quart Yeti bottle with the big D ring handle makes a FINE weapon! It can be greatly improved with a P cord lanyard that goes around your wrist. Mine weighs about 4 pounds full of water and blends in well.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 12:34 AM

If anyone in the communications industry knows what a Butt Set is, when I have to work in prisons I carry it by the leads. Company policy is to comply and not resist. Unfortunately that is not in my DNA. Anything can be used as a weapon when things go South.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:05 AM

Rock in a sock, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.
The only reason that I go South of the WI/IL border is for better is for better golf courses.
Otherwise unless I have been drinking, I am packing.
If anyone accuses you of fighting fair, your tactics suck.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:08 AM

The only reason that I go South of the WI/IL border is for better is for better golf courses.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Learn to use your fists.

Thats how it's done in Canada where you don't have the right to self defense.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nelly

You'd like my definition of a fair fight. If I win, it was fair. If the other guy wins, he cheated. The only time you should worry about a fair fight is if it is a competition.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:14 AM

Learn to use your fists.

Figured it was illegal to use those in Canada?? Might hurt someone.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:22 AM

You guys can carry a gun but not brass knuckles?

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:24 AM

Gun in front pocket, brass knuckles in the back. If it comes to where I need either, I’m not really worried about legal or not. The whole goal is to walk away and not be carried away.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

They are all scared to come to Canada cause they cant carry their false courage,lol.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

You Canucks can always hit them with your purse.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:33 AM

Purse full of twonies,lol.
Posted By: Bass1

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:39 AM

I carry a sledgehammer handle in my truck. Broke the head off a few years ago and figured it would make a good weapon of convenience. I'd turn over my wallet, watch, cell phone... but after that, if they wanted to 'play', they're fighting for their life, I'm not fighting for mine.
Posted By: BandB

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
If anyone in the communications industry knows what a Butt Set is, when I have to work in prisons I carry it by the leads. Company policy is to comply and not resist. Unfortunately that is not in my DNA. Anything can be used as a weapon when things go South.

Butt set, pole prod, big screwdriver, line wrench, multiple choices in a tool pouch.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by BandB

Butt set, pole prod, big screwdriver, line wrench, multiple choices in a tool pouch.

Can’t take all that in a prison, lol.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 02:16 AM

Your thumb is a fantastic tool, especially if you don't care if you ever have to use it for anything else again.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Learn to use your fists.

They use pebbles in pantihoses
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 03:26 AM

Knives in WI have been de-classified as weapons unless used as such , this happened in DEC 2016.
including automatic opening knives aka switch blades.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 06:38 AM

I wish there was an easy way to figure out what is legal & what isn't
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 09:20 AM

I have lost most of my faith in my fellow man, and have exactly zero in my government. I go nowhere without a 7" AR15 pistol with either a 30 or a 100 round mag in it, its no longer the world I grew up in.
Posted By: run

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 10:55 AM

It varies by state as far as legality goes. The automatic switchblades are illegal in Virginia. Go to smoky mountain knife works.com for knife law breakdown by state.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I wish there was an easy way to figure out what is legal & what isn't

I recall a billy club is listed in the weapons you may carry on your WI-CCL also electric weapon , pepper spray , knives ,

I found this reference in the text

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35
948.60 (1) In this section, "dangerous weapon" means any firearm, loaded or unloaded; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (4) (1c) (a); metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles; a nunchaku or any similar weapon consisting of 2 sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather; a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand; a shuriken or any similar pointed star-like object intended to injure a person when thrown; or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends.

the thing is what is and isn't actually useful

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 02:15 PM

All I can tell you is when going through the process of gaining access to a Federal building and they ask if you have any weapons…don’t say, none that are conventional, lol.
A pen can be used as a weapon. A credit card that’s been shaved down on one edge will slice skin easily, even deep enough to do lethal damage. Shoestrings, belts, even rolled up paper can be used as a weapon. A laptop to the head or throat will do damage. Most carry weapons without realizing they can be used as weapons if the need arises.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 02:40 PM

I'm kind of a freak with this protection stuff. I don't think its fear, I'm just into it and like it.

To answer your questions, there appears to be very few restrictions on martial arts weapons. Numchucks seem to be illegal in Massachusetts, but what isn't? I don't include brass knuckles. Some states have some funny knife laws.

For home defense, and personal protection, I get a little crazy. What I am having a lot of fun with is training a German Shepard for protection. A really well trained dog is a great thing for the home. I have a neighbor that has trained a lot of police dogs helping me and I really enjoy it and really love my dog. His name is Glock and Glock will be a wonderful Grand Baby sitter around the farm.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 02:54 PM

I made the mistake of having my Oldtimer in my pocket going thru the airport last week. Just wasn't thinking ahead. I told the arse to give it to his Grandson.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 03:23 PM

Most martial arts weapons were farming tools not weapons , early arms control common people were not permitted the use of Weapons in those countries of origin.

so to say that there were better weapons 2000 years ago than most of those martial arts weapons is an understatement by design they are modified farming tools from many centuries back.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 03:27 PM

Learn to use your fists.

My brother n law was doing well with his fists until the other guy got his knife out and stabbed him in the neck- true story happened 3 days ago. Hes in an induced coma now.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 03:27 PM

Griswold #8 works well if things go south in the kitchen area
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 03:31 PM

A small halogen fire extinguisher can come in handy and legal to the best of my knowledge. One shot to the face will take their breath away along with any fight they may have in them.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 03:31 PM

Gun in front pocket, brass knuckles in the back. If it comes to where I need either, I’m not really worried about legal or not. The whole goal is to walk away and not be carried away.

Exactly....Imm not worried about laws w
hen its a fight to the finish- I will use whatever means possible or available.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/04/22 04:38 PM

Razor blades embedded in the skip of a cap was a common street gang weapon back in the day in Dublin.
It was an offensive street fighting weapon,not defensive.
You whip it across the forehead of your opponent and when the blood streams down into his eyes you set about him.

Not used today much I dont think,last I heard a lot of the street gangs in Dublin use mastiffs or pit bulls.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 03:23 AM

Baseball bat. Golf club. Fry pan.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 08:36 AM

Walk quietly and carry a big stick

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Walk quietly and carry a big stick

I have a neighbor that carries a big stick on his daily walk
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 12:52 PM

I made the wife some monkey fist out of para ford and a larger marble she keeps on her key ring, also one with a pool ball, to large on the key ring but keeps it to side console of her car door. Never had to use but on a dog and to my surprise the one with the marble did some damage. I'm sure the one with a pool ball would flat lay some one out and mess something's up

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 12:55 PM

[Linked Image]
The one on her key ring.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 01:04 PM

Through the tie downs in my pickup bed I have an 8 ft chain with a padlock on one end threaded through that loop. If I ever feel eyes on me coming out of a guberment bldg I could walk to the bed and pull on the padlock end. I would quickly have a force multiplyer in my hand while what ever package I was carrying sat safely in my bed.

A buddy and I whacked ballistic jell with that set up one time. Pretty sure nobody would ask for 2nds and the wingman would do what Jack Reacher says they do and get gone fast..

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 01:06 PM

Of course, I dont look like or carry myself like a victim so ppl leave me alone for the most part
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 11:00 PM

Learn to use your fists.

Good way to break your hand. I learned to use my palms which is just as effective as the fist but a lot more safe. Plus, it has some advantage in claiming self-defense if you use a palm and not a fist.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 11:19 PM

Never in a fight I didn't fight as if my life was in jeopardy even in high schools. Either break their nose or kick to the groin than finish it. Today I'll go with my 40, knife, or handle. Always with in reach. Not the same country I grew up in.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/16/22 11:48 PM

I'm too old to fight fair.
Its always best not to pick a fight with an old man. He won't fight you, He'll just kill you.
An old man would be wise to realize this and be prepared to act thusly with determitive furvor.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 12:24 AM

I still have a Billy club my teacher made for me in High School. I ended up in the principle office I told him it's for clubbing big fish.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 01:17 AM

A piece of wolf snare with an amberg or senneker lock and a kill spring,and a small handle at one end is a handy weapon.
Whip it over someones head,give it a good hard yank to set the lock and walk away.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 01:18 AM

Learn to use your fists.

Hahahahaaaaaa.Biggest city you ever been to Hunters Point Q.C. ? LOL population 10 Hahahahahaa

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 01:23 AM

A piece of wolf snare with an amberg or senneker lock and a kill spring,and a small handle at one end is a handy weapon.
Whip it over someones head,give it a good hard yank to set the lock and walk away.

You wouldn't last 5 minutes here.What a maroon. grin

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 02:08 AM

Excuse me mister,Im from Canada land,,,would you mind not pointing that pistol at me,,while I set some wolf snares around your neck? AhhAHAAAHHHAAAA

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 02:34 AM

grin

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Excuse me mister,Im from Canada land,,,would you mind not pointing that pistol at me,,while I set some wolf snares around your neck? AhhAHAAAHHHAAAA

A Canuck would take that popgun and shove it up your arse sideways then watch you do the necklace dance,lol.
Now snuggle up to your little security blanket little boy.lol.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Learn to use your fists.

Yeah, it's call a hockey game. Lol

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 04:15 AM

having watched a batter charge the mound and take a solid swing at the pitcher who caught the aluminum bat at the cost of breaking his hand and wrist but he it was caught and then the the batter tackled

I don't have a ton of faith in the actual effectiveness of clubs unless wielded with great skill

yes you mess stuff up with blunt force but it isn't necessarily immediately stopping unless you hit the right spots

that club is a fair amount of mass so your committed to it's path after a point in its swing.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 01:16 PM

Learn to use your fists.

Predatory people have an eye for picking the easiest prey out of a crowd.You would one of the first to go Bozo.Unless someone like me got you out of the situation.You best stay in the bush where your safe from scary folks. grin
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 01:37 PM

A Canuck would take that popgun and shove it up your arse sideways then watch you do the necklace dance,lol.
Now snuggle up to your little security blanket little boy.lol.

So... you canucks like sticking things up guys backsides. I suspect you are speaking more for yourself than the other canucks.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by salemtrapper
[Linked Image]
The one on her key ring.

My wife's key ring has a knife. She also has a 380 on her and 12g with 00 in the van.

I'm sure that monkey fist would wear someone out but my wife is not fast or strong. Great idea and knot work.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 05:40 PM

Providence my wife has a nine that gets stashed not that I'm sure if she could pull the trigger on someone. And if I leave the 12 always does come out loaded the same way as yours, this was just handed and always available. Like I said never had to use one but on a dog that wasn't so nice and it got it's attention fast. I highly doubt my wife could could pull a trigger unless the kids are being threatened.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
having watched a batter charge the mound and take a solid swing at the pitcher who caught the aluminum bat at the cost of breaking his hand and wrist but he it was caught and then the the batter tackled

I don't have a ton of faith in the actual effectiveness of clubs unless wielded with great skill

yes you mess stuff up with blunt force but it isn't necessarily immediately stopping unless you hit the right spots

that club is a fair amount of mass so your committed to it's path after a point in its swing.

1st shot would go to the knee, or lower leg. You can also hold it to use as a straight on ram shot.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/17/22 05:54 PM

My stepfather got taken in and fined for having a ac handle in his truck in the mid 90s.

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/18/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
My stepfather got taken in and fined for having a ac handle in his truck in the mid 90s.

but if you have the pick ax head and handle it is a tool

did you read the grapes of Wrath ?

pick ax handles were a favorite apparently for union busting

cheap , plentiful , toss the evidence in the fire and it is gone and not uncommon for a few picks to break handles

I am not saying they can't be used to good effect , but it takes more skill and if the guy your going against has some skill and knife and you don't know that or have the skill you could end up dead or bleeding out or short the use of the hands

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/18/22 01:19 AM

if you really want a half way decent weapon in disguise , a trenching tool is not bad nor is a short handle shovel

trenching tools were actually a preferred weapon in WWI trenches for their dual purpose utility , they were sharpened on the edges to dig roots better well and function like tomahawk
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/18/22 01:26 AM

A framing square or 4 foot level will do some damage. Plastic laminate cuts like a knife.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/18/22 04:32 AM

My entire truck is filled with emergency equipment, camping tools, survival tools, regular tools, etc. Just about everything in it can be used as a self-defense weapon. I have a 3 page list in my glove compartment of where everything is kept. If a cop would ask if I have any weapons in the vehicle, I would just show him the list and tell him the entire truck is a survival tool and everything in it can be used as a defensive weapon if needed. I could even use my keys almost as effective as a knife as a slashing and cutting tool. The same with the pen in my shirt can be used as a knife to slash or puncture, etc., etc.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/18/22 09:09 PM

I carry a Kaiser blade (some people call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade, mm hmm) in the bed of me '50 Chevrolet truck.
I carry it for clearin brush, and whatnot. Mostly for whatnot...
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/18/22 10:51 PM

idjet

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/23/22 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Learn to use your fists.

Good way to break your hand. I learned to use my palms which is just as effective as the fist but a lot more safe. Plus, it has some advantage in claiming self-defense if you use a palm and not a fist.

Like Will Smith

Re: Unique self defense tools - 07/28/22 04:06 AM

If you throw a throwing star, ya best not miss and risk having it thrown back
© 2024 Trapperman Forums