Home

Big catfish bait

Posted By: DWC

Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 03:32 AM

Give me your preference for big flathead and channels out of three baits-bluegill, creek chubs or bullhead?
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 03:38 AM

Used bluegill. Worked great have always heard bullheads were good bait but put them in the smoker. Hard to beat salted and smoked.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 03:53 AM

Bullheads, 100% better than the other two for BIG fish. 6-7" ones are best but a little smaller or bigger won't hurt a thing. Hook them up through the roof of the mouth they stay on the hook and they stay super lively.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Bullheads, 100% better than the other two for BIG fish. 6-7" ones are best but a little smaller or bigger won't hurt a thing. Hook them up through the roof of the mouth they stay on the hook and they stay super lively.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Your bait setup sure beats mine. Is that just chlorinated tap water?

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
Your bait setup sure beats mine. Is that just chlorinated tap water?

It is but I put the stuff you get at Walmart to make chlorinated water safe for fish.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aq...er-Makes-Tap-Water-Safe-8-45-oz/16935661

I keep them for a month or more. I put a bucket of ice in there when its hot too.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 04:19 AM

ADC, what YouTube channel are your family Ditty Pole videos on?

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse

https://www.youtube.com/user/snaretrapper/videos

I really need to get to the river and make some more. I have the bait but not the time at least not when the river has been down low enough to go.

Here's a short one.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 04:36 AM

Thank you sir!

P.S. don't drive so fast, I'm having a hard time following you!
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 05:10 AM

Around here on Kerr Lake we use live warmouthes, live shad, or live bream for flathead catfish. Big cut bait for blue catfish. Chicken livers, worms, cut bait, basically anything for channel cats.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse

https://www.youtube.com/user/snaretrapper/videos

I really need to get to the river and make some more. I have the bait but not the time at least not when the river has been down low enough to go.

Here's a short one.

Do you have a video or post or anything explaining about these poles you're using in that video?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 10:58 AM

Green sunfish are tougher than bluegill and goldfish work well too.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 11:08 AM

I use green eared sunfish a lot. Those creek chubs you mentioned are a great channel cat bait. Smaller black perch (green eared sunfish) are too. My favorite channel cat bait is grass frogs. ( bull frogs are a horrible bait)

I been pretty busy here lately with work and my mom. I did get to fish a couple hours last Saturday with my son at the Melvern Reservoir outlet. Caught about an 8 pound flathead on a goldfish. I didnt even have time to catch bait. We ate it a week ago Sunday for supper.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:04 PM

Bullheads
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:14 PM

Whole bream.. hooked behind the head and in front of dorsal fin.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:19 PM

Isnt brim a southern word for any small panfish or is it a real specis? if it is a single species post a picture if you dont mind. I am still confused as to what one is.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:22 PM

Live Sunnies or bluegill for flathead is my second choice
First choice would be leopard frogs .

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I use green eared sunfish a lot. Those creek chubs you mentioned are a great channel cat bait. Smaller black perch (green eared sunfish) are too. My favorite channel cat bait is grass frogs. ( bull frogs are a horrible bait)

I been pretty busy here lately with work and my mom. I did get to fish a couple hours last Saturday with my son at the Melvern Reservoir outlet. Caught about an 8 pound flathead on a goldfish. I didnt even have time to catch bait. We ate it a week ago Sunday for supper.

Is your grass frog what we call leopard frogs? That would be my #1 by far, but i dont know a place to consistently get them. Ive been known to jump off a moving mower to chase those.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:28 PM

[Linked Image]

These frogs. When it gets dry and not much dew they have to go to water. Ponds, big mud holes etc. I shine a bright light on them at night and just grab them like would big eatin size bullfrog. I never caught a flat head on one only channel and blue cats. did catch a flathead on a big crawdad though once.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:31 PM

Probably
For flathead a frogs A frog.
They just like em' live

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:39 PM

330, how are you fishing them to catch flatheads?

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:43 PM

Most of my experience has been with channels with a few flats mixed in (mostly small-under 20). I have tried fishing bullfrogs a time or two with zero results. I tie half hitch knots around the leopards to try and get multiple fish out of them. Generally, a leopard doesnt get to stay on the hook long before a channel smashes it. They must taste like candy.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:47 PM

330, how are you fishing them to catch flatheads?

4/0 bass hook or circle hook - hooked through the lower lip weight on bottom, hook on loop 3 or 4' up the line.

We caught them in Tony ,Wisconsin

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 01:51 PM

thats interesting. i have fished them on jugs before with a weight above the hook to keep the frog under water but never caught a flathead. usually i drift them. let the wind blow my boat across a reservoir and bait on a rod and reel

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 02:39 PM

Isnt brim a southern word for any small panfish or is it a real specis? if it is a single species post a picture if you dont mind. I am still confused as to what one is.

From what I've gathered since moving here, brim is generally bluegill but can also be red ear, pumpkin seeds, green sunfish, etc. But not crappie, those are separate... never heard those called brim.

In NY, all those fish are collectively called "sunfish"... down here it's "brim".

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 02:50 PM

thats interesting. i have fished them on jugs before with a weight above the hook to keep the frog under water but never caught a flathead. usually i drift them. let the wind blow my boat across a reservoir and bait on a rod and reel

It might be the fish's preference in the body of water you're fishing.

We were near a dam in the Flambeau River
We had run out of chicken liver , leeches , bluegill and Crawlers and had fished all night.
It was between 4 and 6am and we hooked up some frogs we found there. We caught several flatheads before we called it a Night.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 03:09 PM

Bullhead. I believe most any fish will work as long as it's alive.
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 03:16 PM

#1 flathead bait down here

Attached picture Screenshot_20220704-101139_Chrome.jpg
Attached picture 20220703_171916.jpg

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Do you have a video or post or anything explaining about these poles you're using in that video?

Originally Posted by ADC
We can only use 5 lines or 15 hooks, whichever comes first here so, I only target the biggest flatheads so my set up is very heavy duty. I start with 10' long x 1/2" solid fiberglass rods I got from Rally Hess Enterprises out of Mn. I then drill two 3/32” holes in the end of the rod one 1” from the end and one 2” from the end. I put a 1 1/2" screw most of the way through the hole nearest the end. (This is used later to adjust the amount of line you let off the pole.) I then tie a 15-20’ piece of #24 braided nylon line (225# test) through the second hole. Next I slide an 8 oz. egg sinker (homemade) on the line and tie on a Rosco 8/0 Swivel (900# test) to the other side of the swivel, I attach 8-12” of the #24 line, and a size 10/0 4X strong Gamakatsu Octopus hook, (like pictured below). That completes the rig. I use trap tags or printed labels sealed with clear tape to ID my poles. Wrap the line around the pole hook it back up over the screw and run the hook down the side of the pole and under a short piece of 1/2" tube on the pole so they do not tangle in transport.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The most important thing, once you find a good location, to catch big fish is using big bait. Our preferred bait is a very lively 6-10” bullhead hooked up through the roof of the mouth, from inside out, centered just behind their row of top teeth.

[Linked Image]

When we hit the river we look for slack, back flowing, deep water near heavy cover if possible. (By deep I mean deeper than the average water depth by a couple feet or more at least.) We find such a spots by maneuvering the boat along the bank and using a long bamboo pole and simply probing the bank line in the slack water. This will become easier as you get an eye for where the “perfect” water is.

Once we find a good location, we simply shove the pole in the bank a foot above water level (more if the water is expected to rise) at a slight upward angle. Sometimes we use a pointed trap stake driver with T-handle to make a pilot hole for the rod if the bank is really hard. How far you push it into the bank is dependent upon how hard the bank is. Typically they are 30" or so into the bank but if its soft go further. Next we let out line until the sinker hits the bottom of the river, then re-wrap 3 or 4 wraps of line on the pole. (The little screw in the end will hold the line so a caught fish or lively bait won’t pull it out farther and possibly into a snag.) This leaves your sinker 4-8" off the bottom of the river. Hook the bait on, as described above, and move to the next location. On the rare occasions where the pole holds your bait too far out into the current, we use a clothes pin, clipped on, down the pole far enough to get your bait hanging where you want it.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 04:03 PM

Great stuff

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 04:31 PM

From what I've gathered since moving here, brim is generally bluegill but can also be red ear, pumpkin seeds, green sunfish, etc. But not crappie, those are separate... never heard those called brim.

In NY, all those fish are collectively called "sunfish"... down here it's "brim".

same thing they call "sunnies" in Mn and Wi.

We call them what they are here like you do Danny. Bluegills, green sunfish, etc... .

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 05:24 PM

Thanks Jayme!

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 05:49 PM

Thanks Jayme!

Sure thing. It was a big learning curve, from willow sticks, to PVC, to PVC with rebar in the end, to 6-8' 3/8" fiberglass, to the 1/2" 10' fiberglass we use now. I don't think there's room for improvement on them. The hooks & weights were the same way, started out too small, or too light (hated the circle hooks, way too many empty likes and a pain to hook on the baits). Tried lots of baits, frogs, crawfish, creek chubs, bass, channel cats (second best to bullheads), goldfish, etc... Aside from the catfish all the others couldn't stay lively on the hooks longer than a couple hours, especially if there is a current. Their flesh was too soft too so they worked the hole where the hook was and expanded it until the flipped off the hooks. I've had bullheads stay on the hook and still look great for up to 3 days (obviously when the fish weren't biting well, or I picked a crappy location). You'll catch some big fish with smaller equipment but it's hard to catch them if smaller fish steal your bait or get caught on the poles before the big ones can get there. If you can set a ton of lines, I don't know if my method would be best but with only 5 lines each, I don't wanna mess with smaller fish. I'd rather not catch anything under 10-15 lbs. and I'm not really happy until they are 25-30+. Still waiting catching on a true 50+lb flathead though, not ones like you see people guessing the weight or hanging on an old rusty spring scale.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

Is your grass frog what we call leopard frogs? That would be my #1 by far, but i dont know a place to consistently get them. Ive been known to jump off a moving mower to chase those.

When's it dry, if you put out small bowls of water covered by tall grass or wood, the leopard frogs will go in them and typically be in them if you check during the heat of the day. When I was a kid, I used Cool Whip containers this way. The leopard frogs will also stay in the damp depressions by wood fence posts. I used to catch huge numbers of frogs.

Keith
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 06:00 PM

ADC thanks for the update on Rally's poles, he always talked of how you used them but was lacking detail.

Common sucker X 1/2 the size of your forearm so only the big boys will get their mouth around it
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 06:03 PM

My favorite bait for flathead catfish in rivers is 6 to 8 inch long stone rollers. They always work better than creek chubs or sunfish for me. I have never used bullheads for flatheads. I have done very well using bullheads for bass.

Keith
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 06:38 PM

My favorite down here is Red Belly perch or poly wogs .We use deep sets with a 6/0 hook along the edge of the river banks in deep holes.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 06:57 PM

The 1/2 inch 10ft fiberglass rods are hard to beat. Here are my preferred hooks, bait doesn't seem to Matter as much as long as it's live and swimming.

[Linked Image]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 07:04 PM

I used a hog ring to attach the barrel swivel to the pole to add the line. I only have about 8ft of line them
[Linked Image]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
I used a hog ring to attach the barrel swivel to the pole to add the line. I only have about 8ft of line them
[Linked Image]

That's an interesting way to attach your swivel. Never had one of those hog rings open up with a big fish?

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/04/22 07:33 PM

No, it takes a lot to open the hog rings up from a straight pull.
Posted By: run

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 02:17 PM

Cool thread.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
My favorite bait for flathead catfish in rivers is 6 to 8 inch long stone rollers. They always work better than creek chubs or sunfish for me. I have never used bullheads for flatheads. I have done very well using bullheads for bass.

Keith

You ever catch channels on those stone rollers? The last several walleye ive filleted have these in their belly. Easy to catch on a piece of crawler. Ive used them for bait without any luck.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 02:36 PM

I use what they are eating.....BIG shad

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Give me your preference for big flathead and channels out of three baits-bluegill, creek chubs or bullhead?

Chub’s, chubs, chubs [Linked Image]
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 06:14 PM

Saw on the news, some gal caught an 83 lb cat in the Mo river over the weekend.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 06:36 PM

Anyone noticed the shad numbers on the Missouri River being lower? Used to be able to shine a light near shore and there would be thousands flickering at the surface-havent noticed it for years. This was below the dam at Yankton. Assumed its from the massive amount of carp stacked up there eating all the plankton.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

You ever catch channels on those stone rollers? The last several walleye ive filleted have these in their belly. Easy to catch on a piece of crawler. Ive used them for bait without any luck.

You guys talkin bout helgermites? I think that's what they're called here.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 07:12 PM

I've had buddy's catch big walleye and several northerns on the bullheads on ditty poles. I've caught nothing but catfish that I can recall on them. Mostly flatheads with the occasional bigger channel cat.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 07:17 PM

Helgamites are a great trout bait
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 07:19 PM

Just saw the 6-8" part...not helgemites! Lol

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

They look like creek chubs with hard little points on top of their head according to the pics on google. I just call them creek chubs, and while I agree they are great bait they just are not very hardy on the hook and their flesh is soft so they get pulled off the hook easily. If a big cat finds them early though they would love them.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 07:48 PM

Bull head or green ear sunfish, bluegill that order

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 07:51 PM

I thought a stone roller was the little mini catfish looking deal

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
I thought a stone roller was the little mini catfish looking deal

This what I got when I searched "stone roller fish"...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sto...AIQBA&biw=1366&bih=617&dpr=1
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 08:44 PM

They look like creek chubs with hard little points on top of their head according to the pics on google. I just call them creek chubs, and while I agree they are great bait they just are not very hardy on the hook and their flesh is soft so they get pulled off the hook easily. If a big cat finds them early though they would love them.

Those are called horny heads
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 11:31 PM

What kind of catfish did that boy noodle snap?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/05/22 11:53 PM

I save all the mice I catch in the house over the winter for cat bait. Great under jugs and on pole/line.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/06/22 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper5123

Not sure they left here 4 years ago and living where he grew up!

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/06/22 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper5123

That is a flathead catfish. Too bad hand fishing is illegal in so many states including this one. I'd love to give it a try, looks like a barrel of fun.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/06/22 02:09 AM

Big creek chubs are the favorite fish of the flatheads in my experience. Its not me favorite bait to use for them. They get lazy and don't keep the rod tip moving which makes it hard to tell if its still on the hook. I prefer any kind of sunfish from half a pound up to a pound. They keep the rod tip throbbing and that calls the big boys in. Large crappie work well too, though I don't usually have much access to them like I do sunfish. I hook them with a big circle hook right behind the dorsal fin just shy of the backbone.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/06/22 02:38 AM

[video:youtube]https://studio.youtube.com/video/9g39VoGFtHI/edit[/video]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/06/22 09:38 AM

Lot of difference in pole fishing and set line bait. With set lines you run them in the morning and bait them in the evening. At least I do. You need a bait that will stay alive if you want flatheads. Goldfish, green eared sunfish (black perch) bullheads all fit the bill nicely.
On a rod and reel when your creek chub dies or quits moving your bobber around you switch it for a fresh one.

When pole fishing a creek with chubs you walk hole to a hole. Tossing one into the shallows at the top of it letting the current carry it into the hole. Catch a channel or three and walk to the next hole. Drifting you use a small egg sinker ontop a swivel. 12-18 inchs of leader and a hook. put on a grass frog or shad or creek chub. Let the wind drift you across the lake. Drop offs old creek channels are good.

In the early spring when the water is cold (channel cats) wait for 15 mph plus wind. Fish shallow water on the side of the reservoir the wind is blowing too. (wind in your face). Those catfish will be feeding in that warmer water.

Right now is flathead limb line time. You tie a line to limbs hanging out over the water. Doesnt need to be big. A live green limb thats pencil size at the end and wrist size or bigger at the tree is perfect. Huge fish cant break it. Only needs to be 3-4 feet out from the bank. I like to alternate between baits a few inchs off the bottom to bait a foot under the surface. Some nights one works then it switchs.

like with trapping some nights you fill a boat and some nights you dont. location is the key every night
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/06/22 11:02 AM

We used small carp or bullheads…both way tougher on a hook than most bluegill hill or crappies were. Flat ties are definitely predators.
For channels cut bait is king, and fresher the better. Stink boats and other weird stuff is good for small channels but for big channels we found it tough to beat a fresh cut up fish part.

Jim

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/06/22 09:59 PM

Teepee sent me these pictures of his set up to post here. He claims that old spring scale is accurate but he's a Cardinals fan so you never know if he can be trusted. lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/06/22 10:59 PM

I like that idea
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 07:55 PM

We use 3/4” PVC with long nail and small washer as swivel. Bungee cord hog ringed through swivel and loop with hog ring on other end. To wind up you put hook or hooks in end of pipe and wrap line around the two screws on pipe side for holding line. Cut bottom of pipe at 45 and squeeze shut with torch and pliers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like the hooks point tucked away in pipe so it’s safe to grab a whole bundle and yard down to the boat without getting a hook in you or tangled.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 08:47 PM

I like to have my bait right near the bottom of the river. I couldn't do that in a lot of locations with just 8-10' of line on the poles.

Trapset my hook points are under a short piece of 1/2" hose that fits over the poles. Don't you have trouble getting the PVC in the banks? We couldn't get them in our clay banks so we added rebar to the end but then we got a couple snapped off where the rebar ended inside the poles.

My old poles...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 09:14 PM

It's that deep of a drop off at the edge that 10ft doesn't hit bottom? Or are you stretching out towards the middle?

I generally set areas they're going to be hunting around structure

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 09:22 PM

We did have with the white stuff Jamey. When we went to the heavy gray pipe, 45 ends and close we haven’t had any problems. Have never had one brake from a fish. Now drunk guy stomping on one in the boat once, different story………I might resemble that remark. Lol

I just have a few pics from spring set line run with son and new DIL:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Have some Flathead action from last year on home computer. I’ll post when I get there.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 09:24 PM

Oh….. and God son was along.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 09:32 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 10:17 PM

It's that deep of a drop off at the edge that 10ft doesn't hit bottom? Or are you stretching out towards the middle?

I use 10' poles and say they are 3 feet in the bank, that puts them 7' from the shore and on good cut banks even in the smaller river we fish there are holes that are 15' deep against the bank. When we fished the Mississippi the shallow holes were 15', lol. so you'd need 15' of line under water plus a couple more from the pole to the water. I set a few poles in 6' or less but not ideally, only if there is heavy cover that expect the fish are up under.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
We did have with the white stuff Jamey. When we went to the heavy gray pipe, 45 ends and close we haven’t had any problems. Have never had one brake from a fish. Now drunk guy stomping on one in the boat once, different story………I might resemble that remark. Lol

You probably don't wanna run up on them with the boat either. lol

We never had a fish break them until we added the rebar. When we pushed them in, the top end of the rebar was right at ground level and it didn't let the pole bend there so it snapped off a couple. My BIL had the same thing happen with his. There was no way we could get them in the bank in a lot of locations here with the rebar though.

Geotek (sp) in Mn sells the rods I use too. They are fairly cheep if you're in the neighbor hood and can pick them up instead of paying shipping. They come white and somewhat pointed on the end. I paint them camo to help hide them from would be thieves. I also set them during the week and no holidays or weekends if I can help it.

Again though, I only target the biggest flatheads and can only use 5 lines per person so my way may not be the best option for everyone. If I was running 100 hooks I'd set a few throw lines with drops in addition to the poles. I'd use some other baits if I were running the lines every couple hours too. ... etc...

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 10:41 PM

I use 10' poles and say they are 3 feet in the bank, that puts them 7' from the shore and on good cut banks even in the smaller river we fish there are holes that are 15' deep against the bank. When we fished the Mississippi the shallow holes were 15', lol. so you'd need 15' of line under water plus a couple more from the pole to the water. I set a few poles in 6' or less but not ideally, only if there is heavy cover that expect the fish are up under.

I don't use the poles in the deep holes. I put a line along the bottom. We're not restricted to how many hooks though so I see why you are doing it that way.

I like finding shallow shelves along the edge that are 8-10ft under for the poles. Generally we fish the Mississippi or the red River. Are yall allowed to utilize limbs as well?

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 11:43 PM

I don't use the poles in the deep holes. I put a line along the bottom. We're not restricted to how many hooks though so I see why you are doing it that way.
Are yall allowed to utilize limbs as well?

No sir. Our lines have to be attached to the river bank and labeled with a tag with our name and address. I suppose you could tie off to a limb if you ran the other end of the line to a stake on the bank to end run around the rules a little.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/07/22 11:56 PM

[Linked Image]
We use these home made ones in the foreground. [Linked Image]
These to the left are fatcats I think is the name , they are made by a guy in Iowa I believe. The homemade ones are 8’ long and the fatcats are ten foot . When I was a kid using willow we never used a weight and kept our creek chubs and big minnows as close to the surface as we could and had very good luck . When I made my first 8’ fiberglass rods I used 250# braid and 8/0 circle hooks, snelled . I think it helps with the hook getting set in the corner of the mouth.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 01:47 AM

We need DL# or Name and address on each line here.

I started snelling hooks a couple years ago for my smaller meat lines and really noticed a big difference. Doesn’t seem to matter as much when we swap out to big hooks and bullheads for the overnight run.

Since I was a little kid my dad and older brothers called any line we left out over night a “set line”. Usually made from willows and pretty crude. I’ve called them “set lines” my whole life. I’ve heard them called diddi poles, bank lines and limb lines. What else have or do you call them in your area?

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 02:57 AM

We call them ditty poles. A long line with drops we call a trot line or throw line.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 03:03 AM

We call them bank poles, lines on a limb are limb lines. And then trotlines.

If yall go to the NTA, stop by the Louisiana booth.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 03:04 AM

In my mind, a trotline is a long line either tied off on both ends, or tied off on one and anchored on the other... with multiple hooks. A bank pole (or diddy pole I guess) is what ADCs got in his pic, regardless of what material it's made out of. A limb line is a line tied to a supple, springy branch with a weight on one end, and just one or 2 hooks. It's not tied to a branch shoved into the bank, it's tied to a branch of a living tree.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 09:42 AM

In my mind, a trotline is a long line either tied off on both ends, or tied off on one and anchored on the other... with multiple hooks. A bank pole (or diddy pole I guess) is what ADCs got in his pic, regardless of what material it's made out of. A limb line is a line tied to a supple, springy branch with a weight on one end, and just one or 2 hooks. It's not tied to a branch shoved into the bank, it's tied to a branch of a living tree.

Thats how it works here

I like limb lines. I just put a trap tag on the tag end of the line after tying to the limb. A small limb will hold a BIG flat head if its green and alive

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 10:04 AM

Thats how it works here

I like limb lines. I just put a trap tag on the tag end of the line after tying to the limb. A small limb will hold a BIG flat head if its green and alive

Agreed
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 10:11 AM

The 1/2 inch 10ft fiberglass rods are hard to beat. Here are my preferred hooks, bait doesn't seem to Matter as much as long as it's live and swimming.

[Linked Image]

You and them dang blasted shark hooks grin

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

[Linked Image]

You and them dang blasted shark hooks grin

You're just mad you can fit on one lol
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 11:14 AM

Teepee sent me these pictures of his set up to post here. He claims that old spring scale is accurate but he's a Cardinals fan so you never know if he can be trusted. lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those poles in Golf balls post, the fat cats are the same ones we have. They are modified [after all I'm a trapper]. Instead of wrapping the line around the end of the pole, it goes through the eye bolt on the end, then down to the bent washer . It acts like a drowner lock on the pole which makes it super easy to set the depth, just move it up or down the pole. It doesn't allow the fish to take out more line and get tangled up on anything, and stores very compact. PS that's my 10 yr old grandson there in the picture he's a Cardinal fan to, would he lie?

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by teepee2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those poles in Golf balls post, the fat cats are the same ones we have. They are modified [after all I'm a trapper]. Instead of wrapping the line around the end of the pole, it goes through the eye bolt on the end, then down to the bent washer . It acts like a drowner lock on the pole which makes it super easy to set the depth, just move it up or down the pole. It doesn't allow the fish to take out more line and get tangled up on anything, and stores very compact. PS that's my 10 yr old grandson there in the picture he's a Cardinal fan to, would he lie?

That is slick

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 03:10 PM

Airport I like the modifications you made to the fatcats, I didn’t show it but I made modifications too with big swivels in the hog rings. What you have done will be stronger, thanks for the idea .

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 03:17 PM

ADC how do you acquire bait ? As far as that goes how do any of you folks acquire bait . Some one sells a big wire fish trap that your supposed to just add dry dog food to for catching bull heads . My buddy bought one and has not caught anything in it .

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
Airport I like the modifications you made to the fatcats, I didn’t show it but I made modifications too with big swivels in the hog rings. What you have done will be stronger, thanks for the idea .

They're homemade from fiberglass tree stakes, same thing I use for drowner rods. I like the sliding lock idea though

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 03:29 PM

I use a couple traps I bought from Aix sponsa. Best I have ever used. 2nd best is the z trap. Styrofoam for bait

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 03:31 PM

Hook and line-we cant seine here. It can be really frustrating at times when the bait isnt wanting to bite though.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 07:58 PM

Golf ball stuff some bread in a sock. Suspend it in trap with cord. Poke holes in the sock. Put the entrance downstream facing.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/08/22 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
ADC how do you acquire bait ? As far as that goes how do any of you folks acquire bait . Some one sells a big wire fish trap that your supposed to just add dry dog food to for catching bull heads . My buddy bought one and has not caught anything in it .

We have a few ponds around loaded with bullheads. We take two spinning rods equipped with a couple split-shots, #1 gold Aberdeen hooks that I smash the barb flat so they are easier on the fish when you unhook them. If they swallow it I cut the line and leave the hook in them. They still live a long time, weeks. A small chunk of night crawler for bait. Usually I can barely keep up removing fish and re-baiting hooks for my wife. I hardly ever even fish myself. They bite as soon as it gets to the bottom. We tried a fish trap and caught a BUNCH but they run smaller than I prefer for bait. If I were running a ton of hooks I'd use the trap. It's a cloverleaf design by Wickenkamps.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/09/22 01:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Where in the world do you buy those?

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/09/22 02:11 PM

Local academy.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/09/22 02:12 PM

I think cabelas carries them as well.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/09/22 03:48 PM

Saw a video from outdoor life on making garlic/cherry kool aid hot dogs so i made up 2 dozen pieces of bait. Got 2 big tubs of sss dip bait. Caught some really small chubs and blue gill-will probably only work for channels. Gonna head out in the boat this evening on the river but first im gonna try and find another pool to catch bait. Dang cricks are LOW-if i find a pool should be loaded.

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/10/22 05:39 AM

The ones with the "horns" we always called "Horned Dace". They are male Creek Chubs. They get good sized....a foot or better....and they eat ok too.

The very first fish I have any memory of catching (circa 1957) was a Stoneroller.....aka "Central Stoneroller". A type of small sucker with knobs on it's noggin.

Hellgrammites are the larvae of a Dobson Fly. They are great Smallmouth bait. They will pinch the daylights out of you with their huge "jaws".

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/10/22 03:23 PM

My bait tank isn’t as clean as ADC’s lol. Set it up so over flow runs in pipe and right to river. I kept a couple hundred baby carp alive in that tank for a year and a half. Had an electric horse tank heater in it for winter. Left a light on above it in summer for food bugs.

Carp and bullheads are easy to keep alive. Bluegill and chubs not so easy, for me anyway. Bluegill also jump out if I don’t put the screen over tank.

[quote][/quote][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/10/22 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
My bait tank isn’t as clean as ADC’s lol. Set it up so over flow runs in pipe and right to river. I kept a couple hundred baby carp alive in that tank for a year and a half. Had an electric horse tank heater in it for winter. Left a light on above it in summer for food bugs.

Carp and bullheads are easy to keep alive. Bluegill and chubs not so easy, for me anyway. Bluegill also jump out if I don’t put the screen over tank.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice set up!!! But you didn't say your favorite cat bait? Or James's

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/10/22 06:28 PM

For big fish I like large hooks and bullheads or small carp. For meat fishing I swap hooks to smaller and use minnows or chunks of cut jumping carp.

I also like jigging with large lead heads and strips of jumping carp.
[Linked Image]

Re: Big catfish bait - 07/10/22 08:15 PM

Got out last night and used mostly chubs. Got about a 20 lb flathead and a 5 lb channel. Tons of runs, some possibly gar and it also seems the cats were finicky and dropping stuff the moment we picked up our rods. I did try the hot dogs and got one good hard run. The hot dogs are just too mushy and wouldnt stay on the hook.
© 2022 Trapperman Forums