Home

Crossbow recommendation

Posted By: EdP

Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 02:00 PM

I've been thinking about getting a crossbow for whitetail hunting. We are allowed to take 3 does in addition to 2 either sex here but the either sex days for firearm and ML are very restricted. Every day of deer season is either sex for archery so I am looking to expand my options, but have no experience with crossbows. The Ravin 10x and Excalibur Assassin 400 TD are two I am considering. I don't want something that I have to take to someone else to get tuned or that is fickle and easily put out of good working order. Something that is pretty quiet at the shot is important too. Recommendations would be appreciated.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 02:37 PM

Of the crossbows ive had, horton and tenpoint, ive never had them tuned. Just need to lube the rails and wax the strings. If they look dodgey at all replace them. Had one blow up before on once.

Definitely get one with the crank draw because trying load one the old fashioned way when you're in a tree doesnt work so well.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 02:54 PM

Excalibur

And go to a Sportshop that sells them. Try them out or at least use a string Setter and pull a few.

The one I thought I wanted Online, wasn't the one I liked at the Store.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 03:43 PM

Whatever you decide on get one that has as short as limbs as you can. When that deer is on the back side of the tree you are in one with wide limbs will be harder to get around the tree to shoot and you may think your clear tell you shoot and the limbs straightened out hit the tree or part of your stand and you miss or wound one. Mor compact is also easier to get through the woods and brush.

Get one that will make it hard for you to get your thumb in the path of the string. If you get you thumb in the way of the string it will nearly cut it off.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 04:37 PM

My wife had dbl. rotator cuff surgery so she can no longer draw a bow. We bought her a Horton 6 years ago. She is happy with it killed several deer. Now we are looking to upgrade but at an affordable price for us. We both just retired. We have tried several, settled on a ten point with the easy cocking and decocking method. I encourage you to consider the ones with the decocking so as not having to mess with discharging all the time and finding your discharge bolt. Wicked ridge was next in line for us. Ravin's she just did not care for and of course the price on some of the different brands and models are crazy. We settled on a $1399.00 model of Ten Point. Similar weight for carry, speed 410ft per, cocking and decocking method are easy, narrow as well. Go try them out shoot them and figure out what is best for your and you can afford. Lot of good equiptment that does not need to break the bank.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Whatever you decide on get one that has as short as limbs as you can. When that deer is on the back side of the tree you are in one with wide limbs will be harder to get around the tree to shoot and you may think your clear tell you shoot and the limbs straightened out hit the tree or part of your stand and you miss or wound one. Mor compact is also easier to get through the woods and brush.

Get one that will make it hard for you to get your thumb in the path of the string. If you get you thumb in the way of the string it will nearly cut it off.

^^^^^this is good advice, and the very reason i would stay away from Excaliber crossbows. They are accurate and reliable, but unfortunately , they are also wide as a bus compared to the competition. TenPoints are pricey, but they are every bit as reliable and accurate as Excaliber with the benefit of being narrow. Customer service is also second to none.....pay once, cry once. Having said that, get in to a sporting goods store and get your hands on some different models and see what works for you....
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 05:38 PM

I went with Wicked Ridge. Made buy Ten Point.

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 05:55 PM

Forgot to add mine is a mission made by Matthew's. Had it about 10 years so there are a lot faster and more narrow now. It's 18" axle to axle and 320 fps. My daughter and boys do very well with it. The boys are getting close to pull a deer legal poundage bow so the x bow may hav its days # but I don't think so when bothe my 9 and 12 year old can shoot 4" or less groups at 50 yards with it off a bipod.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 06:13 PM

Excalibur
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 06:32 PM

You can also damage the xbow if the bow limbs smack the trunk whe you fire.

Side note... I would suggest hunting out of a saddle if you go up a tree. Crossbows can give you a lot of awkward shots you cant take with a bow and the saddle makes those awkward shots a lot safer and stabler.
Posted By: curtisd

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I went with Wicked Ridge. Made buy Ten Point.

exactly what i have. very good crossbow.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 11:07 PM

Excalibur, I bought 2 used ones, limbs little wider than most but dead nuts accurate. I gout mine off Craigslist for bout $ 300.00 complete. You don’t need to spend over $500.00 for a good set up.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/04/22 11:46 PM

Excalibur. simple.easy to set up.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 01:39 AM

excalibur grizzly
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 01:41 AM

Excalibur
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 02:01 AM

I have an Excalibur assassin and a ten point nitro xrt 470. Personally I like the ten point better for the speed. With my setup it is going 425 fps. I can keep my shots within a beer can at 100 yards with it. The assassin is great but the speed, with my set up, is only a touch over 300 fps. At 60 yards it will keep them close enough you wont shoot at the same dot. The report for both of them is about the same (yes, I checked it).

If you are only looking to shoot 30-40 yards then I would go with excaliber. If you want to extend your range go with the tenpoint. My boy shot a buck at 81 yards last year.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 11:05 AM

My first one was Excalibur, at the time it was their top model. Not sure why some like them, I hated it and dumped it within a short time. It was like sitting in a stand with an 4' 2"x2". By far the clumsiest x-bow that I ever tried to use out of a stand or blind.

I went with a ten point offering, again at the time, one of their upper end offerings, the "Carbon Elite" with acudraw. For the last almost 10 years it has been a machine. I did change the string and cables twice, but both times it was a 20 minute wait, hardly a hardship. I have taken 1-2 deer with it yearly along with 2 bear. Both my brother and sister each bought one after using mine and again never a problem as each have gathered a list of game taken with theirs.

These days many of the mid range Ten Point and wicked ridge crossbows are probably on par with my old bow. Have fun shooting as many as you can, good times for x-bow hunters.

WS
Posted By: Supergoose

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 12:12 PM

I also went with the Wicked Ridge by Ten Point….. shot several at the sport shop. As soon as it hit my shoulder I knew I was buying it. Feels good, fits good and importantly-shoots good.

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 12:24 PM

Whopper stopper. They like the Excalibur probably becuse they haven't experienced anything else. Excalibur look cool with the recurve limbs.

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 02:20 PM

I can repair my Excalibur and change strings in the field in <5 min. Try that with a compound crossbow

The matrix series excals are the most reliable. Mine is only 305fps but shoots right thru any deer

this vid goes thru alot of what separates them from the compounds

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Whopper stopper. They like the Excalibur probably becuse they haven't experienced anything else. Excalibur look cool with the recurve limbs.

I had an sold a scorpyd, ten point, and wicked ridge. Never owned a ravin or mission but they look nice.

Downside to the ravin is you need to replace strings and cables every 12 months due to the high draw weight and extreme string tension. $100 for cables/strings + labor unless you have your own bow press. The scorpyd and mission allows you to change without a press
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 03:40 PM

Excalibur
simple and easy. Replace your own string in about 2 min.
Very accurate.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 04:43 PM

Excalibur for me also.

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/05/22 06:34 PM

In 10 years I have never needed to restring my compound x bow or work on it. Never had to sight it in but once. If I had to work on it in the field I would not have a box of parts in the field with me anyway. So not a selling point for me. A x bow at 250 fps will shoot. Through a deer. But faster shoots flatter making range estimates les critical and further shots easier. Also the Excalibur are very wide. They look cool but for me a narrower more compact and much faster compound is the better choice.

Also my use is primarily for my kids so smaller, lighter and faster is more important than if it were just for me.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Crossbow recommendation - 07/07/22 11:59 AM

Thanks folks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums