Home

Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll

Posted By: Catch22

Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:03 AM

Been doing some research and decided to go with a outboard for my canoe. 4 stroke. So far the top three are, in no particular order,

1. Mercury

2. Suzuki

3. Yamaha

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Or perhaps one I've overlooked, thanks y'all!!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:05 AM

Honestly, I don't think you can't go wrong with any of those.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:10 AM

Yamaha. Cheaper than Mercury and very reliable. I bought a 6hp 4 stroke Yamaha a couple years ago and read quite a bit on them. Yamaha is the way to go.
Posted By: Oleo Acres

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:11 AM

Pretty sure Tohatsu makes the mercury . I have a 3.5 horse Tohatsu 4 stroke on a Sun Dolphin Pro 120. total weight of people , motor , gear , and boat must be close to 700-750 lbs. It pushes us up the river no problem . I'd recommend it , 8 or 10 year warranty . Starts easy and rune very well . About $ 1000 out the door. Has a small gas tank on top ,ran 55 minutes up the river at 3/4 to full throttle.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:12 AM

I had a 2 hp Honda I used on a fifteen foot square stern. Great little outboard.

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Yamaha. Cheaper than Mercury and very reliable. I bought a 6hp 4 stroke Yamaha a couple years ago and read quite a bit on them. Yamaha is the way to go.

JP, They are about the same price now, as far as I've seen. I do admit I think the Yamaha looks like it's built better and I like the aluminum prop.

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22

JP, They are about the same price now, as far as I've seen. I do admit I think the Yamaha looks like it's built better and I like the aluminum prop.

Now that I think about it, they were the same price except one place had the Yamaha $100 or $130 cheaper. So I lucked out on that one. Still, Yamaha would be my choice. Good luck!
Posted By: Mainelogger

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:53 AM

I had a 2.5 Yamaha I bought new and loved it! Unfortunately destroyed it in a automobile accident If I ever decide to go new again that's what I'll get.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 01:57 AM

the old 3 hp 2 stroke Yamee is bullet proof, it is nice with a reverse-n-forward
Posted By: charles

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 03:51 AM

My last two outboards were Yamaha. Worked great. Best generator and lawnmower engines I’ve owned were Honda. Generator was about 20 hp two cylinder. mower was their top of the line walk behind. Both were 100% dependable. Had a four stroke Honda tiller that was junk. Too small for the job.

The key to a reliable small engine is maintenance and fresh non ethanol fuel. Change your oil every season. Store your engine indoors with the shaft down. Check your lower unit for water frequently.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 02:34 PM

Yamaha.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 04:44 PM

If I was buying something bigger I'd probably look at a Yamaha but I ran 2 horse Honda on my scull boat for years without a problem..... even in shallow mud bottom brackish water.

Pete
Posted By: Kre

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 06:37 PM

I had a 3.3 Merc, built by Tohatsu, that was a nice, reliable little motor. I never should have sold it.

But, you might have to buy whatever you can find.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 07:35 PM

Pah... modern margarita mixes is what those things are ....... In that power class there is only one real outboard and I have one of them. The one and only British Seagull.

[Linked Image]

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 07:40 PM

Scuba, he wants a 4 stroke.

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 07:43 PM

Wimp

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 07:47 PM

Looks like that motor hasn’t seen the water in a while. Always working on it?
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Pah... modern margarita mixes is what those things are ....... In that power class there is only one real outboard and I have one of them. The one and only British Seagull.

[Linked Image]

Man, I thought I was running a dinosaur...

[Linked Image]

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 08:54 PM

Looks like that motor hasn’t seen the water in a while. Always working on it?

Its a 1941 Seagull that I have restored. I don't have the right bot to put it on though. It would look great on a wooden skiff.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Been doing some research and decided to go with a outboard for my canoe. 4 stroke. So far the top three are, in no particular order,

1. Mercury

2. Suzuki

3. Yamaha

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Or perhaps one I've overlooked, thanks y'all!!

with those 3 it is a little like buying the top 3 names in chain saws
who is around for dealers?
how far do you have to drive to one?
do any of them have anything in stock?
do they do their own work or send it out?
who stocks parts?

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 09:20 PM

Pete, Nearest dealer is about 35 miles, they do there own work and stock parts.

Kre, I like the looks of the new Merc's but they don't have many good reviews.

Swift, I don't like the new Honda's because they have a centrifical clutch and are air cooled which makes them noisy.

Scuba, I wouldn't disgrace my American yacht with a Brit motor. grin grin

Re: Opinions on 2.5/3.5hp outboards. Poll - 07/05/22 10:15 PM

But ya would dangle one of those bonsai Jap margarita mixers of the butt end. Ya thing that will keep you safe when you sail through pearl harbor ?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums