Home

New electric pickups

Posted By: Gary Benson

New electric pickups - 07/13/22 10:22 PM

[Linked Image]
Saw a load of these by Lil Rock other day.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: New electric pickups - 07/13/22 10:28 PM

no charging stations within 50 miles of here.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: New electric pickups - 07/13/22 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960
no charging stations within 50 miles of here.

Spare battery in the bed. Lol
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 12:09 AM

You MUST IMMEDIATELY surrender your man card if you even test drive one of those.
Posted By: charles

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 12:13 AM

I just saw on in Arizona on the Interstate.

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 12:45 AM

I just learned today that GMC makes Hummers.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 01:20 AM

Uglier than a bucket full of smashed
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 01:23 AM

How do they rate as a host for a snowplow?
I like lots of lights and heat.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 01:39 AM

Everyone knows what happens to your cell phone's lithium battery when it's left out in the cold to often. Include the cost of a heated garage along with the MSRP. Only for those of us that live where it freezes every night. Plowing may be as big a drain as towing, maybe more, and it's cold when you need to plow.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 01:41 AM

Just seen a u tube video that compared a Ford F-150 electric pick up to a GMC 1500 gas, Both towing the same 5,000 lb. trailer, Didn't last long, the electric Ford only went 147 miles before it was down to 6 % charge. Local school district just received a grant for 6 fully electric buses, I've seen bus fires, they go up very fast with the foam / vinyl seats, Couldn't imagine all those batteries under a bus & how much heat & how fast that would build up.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 01:44 AM

Pass.....
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Pass.....

x2 in a heartbeat
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
You MUST IMMEDIATELY surrender your man card if you even test drive one of those.

I dont know... It supposedly has a 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds. If you only use it as a grocery cart the , yes turn in the man card
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 02:39 AM

Pass x3
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Everyone knows what happens to your cell phone's lithium battery when it's left out in the cold to often. Include the cost of a heated garage along with the MSRP. Only for those of us that live where it freezes every night. Plowing may be as big a drain as towing, maybe more, and it's cold when you need to plow.

You need to add the cost of charging, multiple times daily if you actually work that abomination someone calls a truck. Then pad your plowing contracts to allow for sending someone else to do the work that the truck was never built for. Makes perfect sense to me.

I will keep my 2000 Superduty and adjust for fuel as best I can in contract.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 08:16 AM

Face it guys, pickups for the vast majority are just another status thing that replaces the old station wagon They spend more time on pavement and never touch gravel even.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 08:47 AM

Will it go down backwoods, 2 track trails with 24" deep water and freezing temperatures without shorting out the batteries?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 09:56 AM

here is a recent video of 2 new trucks a ford lighting electric and a chevy silverado gas pulling identical trailers that were on loan to them from an rv place

I didn't get real far into it the lightning was going to be just under 100 miles towing range

while the silverado was still looking at >200 miles of range even at the 7.6mpg it was getting towing

so sorry it is 140 miles to the lake it should take you 2 1/2 hours but if your EV you need to stop and charge for a while then charge again 1/2 way home and chargers are mostly pull in so no good way to do it with a trailer on

edit: I watched more of the video
EV truck 85 miles and it was flashing lots of warnings they pulled into the charger with 9% power remaining

gas truck turned around with enough range to got 120 miles took a couple minutes to fill with gas just under 18 gallons

the EV truck took 45 minutes to get from 9 to 75% charge it takes much longer to charge to 100% it has to slow down as it gets closer to full

Posted By: Saskfly

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Will it go down backwoods, 2 track trails with 24" deep water and freezing temperatures without shorting out the batteries?

Says it can wade up to three feet

https://insideevs.com/news/551026/rivian-r1t-offroad-good-bad/
Posted By: Kart29

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 11:29 AM

Seems like those electric cars would be better for city cars and small commuter cars. I don't see them being practical for anything else.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 12:25 PM

I would love to be able to drive an EV. I just can't justify owning 3 cars for our two person family. There are times when we both need to cover over 400 miles in a day and stay on a schedule. No way that happens with an EV here, particularly, during 5 months of cold weather.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR

Ahh...Nope
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 12:36 PM

we will all be driving them eventually-ya we'll be cleaner in some ways and save some fuel costs but then our wonderful governments and yours will jack up the hydro and we will all lose once again. Not too sure that we ever be fully electric.If you are highway driving get ready to sit and recharge-longer to get to the lake etc..Meh-Hybrid to me sounds wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than fully electric
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MB Coonguy
we will all be driving them eventually-ya we'll be cleaner in some ways and save some fuel costs but ................

If everyone gets one (or 2 (or 3)) to replace what we are now accustomed to, the environment will suffer way, Way, WAY more than it would with fossil fuels. That FACT has yet to be dispelled.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 03:43 PM

They are poisoning the water hole on combustion engines and trying to hide it until it is too late. Direct injection pros and cons.

It is long and has a lot of tech stuff but well worth it if considering a car or truck with direct injection.

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 03:56 PM

I was talking with some parks department employees their entire fleet of F150s went CNG

they start and run like regular trucks , they may not have quite the power HP

but they run very clean , very clean , quiet , and go 10K on an oil change because there is so much less leftover to the combustion.

the pipe brings NG in they have a compressor that runs on site and they fuel up trucks , no "gas" disappears from the pump and they don't have to order tankers to bring in fuel like they used to
they still have some gas and mostly diesel at the pumps
very minimal price fluctuations

around here we have NG pipelines for heat nearly everywhere , people drive more when it isn't snow covered so what was capacity for winter cold can be capacity for summer driving

heck if you did some decent rust proofing on CNG vehicles you might be driving the majority of them for 20 years and wouldn't that be a huge environmental savings right there.

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 04:30 PM

Been around and have worked on some LP and NG fueled engines. They are no doubt much cleaner. The gasoline engines are the ones being built more though. Direct injection has been called the holy grail as they can increase the HP and get great mileage but at a price.

Because direct injection delivers a concentrated amount of gas, less fuel is wasted, which saves money at the pump and is good for the environment. There’s a downside, though. A side effect of this high pressure stream of fuel is overspray lands on the intake valve and ports. Once that overspray heats up, it becomes thick and gummy. They need cleaned to maintain this gain. Some as often as every 75,000. Cost for that can be anywhere from $400 to $1200. Blasting with black walnut hulls is one method.
Posted By: hippie

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 05:23 PM

I know one guy that will never have one! cool

Some day it might happen, but it's A long ways off for complete switchover. We just don't have the infrastructure to supply electric for normal usage, let alone charging vehicles.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Crowfoot
Originally Posted by MB Coonguy
we will all be driving them eventually-ya we'll be cleaner in some ways and save some fuel costs but ................

If everyone gets one (or 2 (or 3)) to replace what we are now accustomed to, the environment will suffer way, Way, WAY more than it would with fossil fuels. That FACT has yet to be dispelled.

Oh am sure they will be dispelled, but our governments always have "other" agendas that we will discover after the fact-which they will of course deny-will be interesting how jets are going to fly without fossil fuels
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 05:48 PM

As I said before. Before I buy a electric vechile, I'll buy a donkey and name it Brandon. I have no use for one of those external coal powered combustion engines in my life. Electrickery is great for things like toasters, lights and even chairs. But not trucks or any other vechile for that matter. By the way, when is construction going to start on the 500.000 charging stations that sniffy and his clowns have promised to build. Are the all going to be run on wind power, empty promises and hot air ??

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Been around and have worked on some LP and NG fueled engines. They are no doubt much cleaner. The gasoline engines are the ones being built more though. Direct injection has been called the holy grail as they can increase the HP and get great mileage but at a price.

Because direct injection delivers a concentrated amount of gas, less fuel is wasted, which saves money at the pump and is good for the environment. There’s a downside, though. A side effect of this high pressure stream of fuel is overspray lands on the intake valve and ports. Once that overspray heats up, it becomes thick and gummy. They need cleaned to maintain this gain. Some as often as every 75,000. Cost for that can be anywhere from $400 to $1200. Blasting with black walnut hulls is one method.

if you could make it modular enough to keep it around 500-600 that could work , the labor of pulling it is going to be the killer

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 07:13 PM

The cities would be a good place for EVs, let the rural folks decide for themselves.

Re: New electric pickups - 07/14/22 09:19 PM

Maintenance on older vehicles by the time you add on change timing belts and now internal engine cleaning may well end the market as not being economical.Pretty much poisoning the water hole on them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums