Home

So let's buy an electric car

Posted By: bowhunter27295

So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 01:03 PM

Tesla's cheapest is around 50k. So let's calculate a monthly payment. I used 48,900 in NC.

4.5% interest

60 months

Zero down

Monthly payment?

$911.64

And that is if you can find one.

Peter and joey think this is what we need to do to save money and keep the planet from turning into another sun.

How many of y'all can afford this with cpi at 9+%? Not me.

Oh for the days of mean tweets.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 01:14 PM

you will own nothing and you will like it !
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 01:18 PM

Don't the batteries wear out in a couple of years? A car or truck today can go 150 to 200k if taken care of? How many miles will an electric vehicle go does anyone know?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 01:21 PM

Lets not and just say we did
Posted By: Kart29

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 01:22 PM

What's the resale value on a five year old Tesla with 120,000 miles on it?

What's the battery life like on a five year old electric car battery? The batteries on my cell phone and cordless drill don't hold a charge very long after they are five years old.

A five year old gasoline pickup truck with 120,000 is still probably worth at least $25K.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 01:24 PM

Don't forget the 8 to 10k to install a charging station at your house. We won't even talk about the rolling black out that will increase with increasing use ans stress on the grid.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 01:40 PM

Ain't they phasing out any tax credits on the Tesla's?

Wonder if there is an inflationary tariff on those battery components?

If you charge your battery at home how will they know how much road tax one pays?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 01:40 PM

I recall reading somewhere that France is big on electic cars. They've discovered that it is cheaper to buy a new electric car than it is to replace the batteries so now the bone yards are full of worthless 5-7 year old electric cars.
Posted By: jk

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 02:08 PM

Planned obsolesce, it has been done for a long time........jk

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jk

So do they have an expiration date or a sell by date?
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:04 PM

I am 48 years old and need to time this just right. I will never buy an electric vehicle--I'd rather walk. Gasoline and gasoline vehicles are going to be an issue in the relatively near future. I don't see them getting rid of diesel tractors and equipment in my lifetime. I should be good continuing to drive diesel trucks (and may at some point have to buy my forever truck). I'll buy diesel anyway for tractors and equipment. I have always wanted a jeep though--not sure how I'll fuel that or all of my chainsaws, ATVs and other small engines that should last me for life. This is depressing.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kart29

A five year old gasoline pickup truck with 120,000 is still probably worth at least $25K.

Yeah .... for a while. Then when there's no fuel, its only worth $9 per hundred lb. as scrap.

Originally Posted by jk

This is true, IMO. It generates gads of $$$$$$$$$$.$$ and is a degree of crooked.
Posted By: Guss

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:13 PM

I was talking to this guy Sat. He told this guy who bought a electric car had to pay 1k to junk it.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Lets not and just say we did

That is what I say! Bought a new Tacoma in 2020 and a new RAV 4 last year.....I am set for awhile.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
Tesla's cheapest is around 50k. So let's calculate a monthly payment. I used 48,900 in NC.

4.5% interest

60 months

Zero down

Monthly payment?

$911.64

Peter and joey think this is what we need to do to save money and keep the planet from turning into another sun.

Based off what you posted, so what? If you can’t afford a $50,000 car don’t buy it. That payment is the same whether it’s electric or gas. Tesla has nothing to do with what the bank charges in interest or the terms of monthly payments.
Tesla made a product and prices it accordingly. Isn’t that what capitalism is all about? There are a lot of people that can afford it and don’t care.

Since you brought up what the banks are charging for a 5 year loan, why not talk about how the housing market works and 25 year mortgages.

We spend a good chunk of our lives paying for a place to live. Then once the mortgage is paid, renovations are needed. So we remortgage to fix the cracks and leaks.

The housing market is a problem right now. Not this electric car bs.

You probably haven’t had an electric car in your life, but probably many homes.

So based off what you said, the problems are with the loans and nothing to do with electric vehicles.
Posted By: Boco

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:30 PM

Lots of people leasing now.
If I was a young person,with a good paying job living in the city and just use a vehicle for short commute,or weekend get aways,I would probably lease a vehicle.
I know one trapper here who leases his pickup.he has a new one every couple years.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:41 PM

Electric vehicles aren't even practical. They say that you can get around 300 miles or so on one charge. If you live in a cold state like MN that gets -30 some winter days. You will need heat while driving which I'm sure will drain your batteries faster than in the summer. If you live in a really cold spot like AK, how long or how many miles would you get on a charge, a 100 if you're lucky?

Does Biden, or who ever is pulling his strings, expect you to believe a charge while on the road is going to be free? What happens if you're caught in a traffic jam and your batteries die?

Electric vehicles may be in our future, but they are a long way down the road at this time.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:46 PM

keep people tied to payments forever...

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Based off what you posted, so what? If you can’t afford a $50,000 car don’t buy it. That payment is the same whether it’s electric or gas.

BS ! I get 200,000 + miles on a new car over 10 - 15 years with little more maintenance than tires. First 5 years I'm paying for it, the next ten or so I'm good.
Is that the case with the electrics ? NOT !
Posted By: 20scout

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:48 PM

I'll buy a good team of horses and a wagon before I would ever buy an electric car.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 03:52 PM

I love my hybrid toyota, a pure 100% electric would not work here

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crowfoot

Based off what you posted, so what? If you can’t afford a $50,000 car don’t buy it. That payment is the same whether it’s electric or gas.

BS ! I get 200,000 + miles on a new car over 10 - 15 years with little more maintenance than tires. First 5 years I'm paying for it, the next ten or so I'm good.
Is that the case with the electrics ? NOT !

Please tell us your experience with electric vehicles.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:09 PM

4.5% interest

60 months

Zero down

Monthly payment?

$911.64

Based off what you posted, so what? If you can’t afford a $50,000 car don’t buy it. That payment is the same whether it’s electric or gas. Tesla has nothing to do with what the bank charges in interest or the terms of monthly payments.
Tesla made a product and prices it accordingly. Isn’t that what capitalism is all about? There are a lot of people that can afford it and don’t care.

Since you brought up what the banks are charging for a 5 year loan, why not talk about how the housing market works and 25 year mortgages.

We spend a good chunk of our lives paying for a place to live. Then once the mortgage is paid, renovations are needed. So we remortgage to fix the cracks and leaks.

The housing market is a problem right now. Not this electric car bs.

You probably haven’t had an electric car in your life, but probably many homes.

So based off what you said, the problems are with the loans and nothing to do with electric vehicles.

It is quite obvious from your response you are doing one of two things.

You are either deflecting or you don't understand what is going on in the US and the world.

Go back and re-read my post and see if you can get the gist of my point. You are definitely way off the mark.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:09 PM

A Golf cart and a RC truck smile
Plus reviews regarding the longevity and replacement issues with LI batteries for vehicles.
Posted By: Spade

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:13 PM

I realize that this is thru MSM, but an interesting story;

ww.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/florida-family-drives-into-electric-car-problem-a-replacement-battery-costs-more-than-vehicle-itself/ar-AAZGl89?ocid=

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:18 PM

and...
The fuel for these things requires other fuel to provide that fuel.
BTW .. do you have any experience at all regarding electric vehicles ? (just wondering, before we get too deep into this discussion smile )

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:22 PM

My point jp is most people now can't afford an electric because the price of gas is so high.

Do you see the catch 22?

Happy for you if you have an electric vehicle. I think electric vehicles can be a part of the total energy picture but joey and peter think people should buy a $50k vehicle while costing us more money for all living expenses due to the increase in fuel prices. This raises shipping prices on everything. In turn this raises the price of everything. EVERYTHING!

Yet they blame everyone from big oil to big meat to farmers instead of admitting their failures and fixing the actual problems they purposely created.

They think it is a good idea to go into debt when people bring home less money because they shut down domestic oil production. In near previous years we were a net energy exporter and gas was super low. Now the geriatric bafoon goes to beg a muslim nation, known for it's intolerances, for oil when we have it right here. It's pretty easy to put it together that we are being lead by left wing radicals that want to burn down the greatest nation in the history of the world.

Again, my point is peter and joey want us to buy vehicles we can't afford due to their energy policies. That is if you can find one.

Get it?
Posted By: hippie

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:23 PM

Question?????

Can the batteries from these cars be recycled, or are they hazardous waste?

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:27 PM

Answer- hazardous spent lithium waste.

Can it be recycled? They are working on it.

https://phys.org/news/2019-12-lithium-recycled.html

In the meantime, just keep throwing them away at the dump and replacing them.

Anybody care to know how lithium and cobalt are mined? Hint, it's dangerous and done in the third world with chemicals that poison the environment much worse than anything we do here.

As an attachment, China is big into this in Africa and Asia. Chinese are well versed and have a great reputation of being environmentally friendly.

But as long as electric vehicle drivers feel better about themselves, that is all that matter.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:33 PM

You are either deflecting or you don't understand what is going on in the US and the world.

Go back and re-read my post and see if you can get the gist of my point. You are definitely way off the mark.

You seem to be upset that you can’t afford to pay a loan. You’re starting to sound like people on welfare upset because they can’t afford the finer things in life.

Because you can’t afford the loan, you’re blaming joey.

Sounding a lot like the girls on The View complaining about Trump.

Of course you don’t see it the way I do, you’re the one whining about the loan payment.

I know the majority on here would agree, if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. And if you want it bad enough work some overtime or get a better paying job and go get it.

You sound like the burger flippers wanting $15/hour.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Crowfoot

and...
The fuel for these things requires other fuel to provide that fuel.
BTW .. do you have any experience at all regarding electric vehicles ? (just wondering, before we get too deep into this discussion smile )

If you are in the middle of nowhere and you run out of gas, you can get gas from a good samaritan who would stop to help.
Not so, with an electric car. You are talking a tow to the nearest charging station.
Gas powered vehicles aren't affected by winter temps like a battery-powered car would be.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:37 PM

You seem to be upset that you can’t afford to pay a loan. You’re starting to sound like people on welfare upset because they can’t afford the finer things in life.

Of course you don’t see it the way I do, you’re the one whining about the loan payment.

I know the majority on here would agree, if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. And if you want it bad enough work some overtime or get a better paying job and go get it.

Ok, you just proved how lost you are on this thread. All I can say is keep posting so we can see how canadians think.

You OBVIOUSLY don't understand what is going on in the US.

Post away jp. You're sounding like a 12 year old interrupting an adult conversation.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:44 PM

I don’t think a $50,000 loan for an electric vehicle is going to cost more than a $50,000 loan for a gasoline vehicle.

2022 Ford F150 here can cost you $90,000 depending on the package and all the extras you want with it. Trudeau or Biden doesn’t have a roll in that.

For the record, I’m not an electric car kinda guy and the idea of electric vehicles being the new future and getting rid of gasoline vehicles is retarded.

I just never understood the whole “blame the President for everything bad” thing.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:46 PM

Well bowhunter, you’re upset cause you can’t pay a car loan. You sound like a 16 year old kid that got told no at the bank.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

If you are in the middle of nowhere and you run out of gas, you can get gas from a good samaritan who would stop to help.
Not so, with an electric car. You are talking a tow to the nearest charging station.
Gas powered vehicles aren't affected by winter temps like a battery-powered car would be.

If that good samaritan is also driving an electric vehicle can they charge you with their vehicle?

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:49 PM

I don’t think a $50,000 loan for an electric vehicle is going to cost more than a $50,000 loan for a gasoline vehicle.

2022 Ford F150 here can cost you $90,000 depending on the package and all the extras you want with it. Trudeau or Biden doesn’t have a roll in that.

For the record, I’m not an electric car kinda guy and the idea of electric vehicles being the new future and getting rid of gasoline vehicles is retarded.

I just never understood the whole “blame the President for everything bad” thing.

Can you name anything good that he's done for Americans?

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:54 PM

So accept the fact that you don't understand US politics and current events.

I am all for anyone buying anything they can afford. The point is just a few years ago, a whole lot more Americans could afford this without having to work harder and longer, IF they wanted one.

Now we can't afford these vehicles that are very low in inventory due to the president's energy policies. I recommend you research what joey has done to our oil production and exploration since the first day he was in office. He shut down the keystone in his first week in office and removed sanctions on Putin's Nord stream 2 pipeline. Oil exploration and leases are much more difficult to access because of joey and the green agenda of the democrat party.

He was asked recently how long high gas prices would last. He replied AS LONG AS IT TAKES!! That is a direct admission that he is ok with high gas prices.

We have a laughing stock for a president, puppeteers behind the scenes running things, and the highest cost of living in 4 decades. That has happened in less than two years when we were in one of the most prosperous times the nation has ever experienced.

Who is to blame?

Either way, it's a catch 22 to tell Americans we should buy electric based on their domestic policies.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 04:55 PM

Well bowhunter, you’re upset cause you can’t pay a car loan. You sound like a 16 year old kid that got told no at the bank.

Have you been looking at my bank account?

Again, keep posting jp. Someone will eventually tell you to put the shovel down. I won't.
laugh

Buddy, you aren't even hitting the target.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:03 PM

Cost of living goes up. So it’s fair to say that today things are more expensive than they were last year and so on. So it’s easy for you to blame the current President. If Trump or any other Republican becomes President in the future will you be ok paying that loan?
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:10 PM

[/quote]
The president gets the blame in this case because he's trying to ram electric vehicles down our throats whether we want them or not.As he says,we're "transitioning" away from fossil fuels.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:10 PM

Best reasoning i have heard for not buying an electric vehicle was put like this,
You go buy the best laptop or phone on the market today and what is it worth in five years? Why , because in 5 years the technology is so far superior to what you bought nobody wants it because it doesn't work or is not compatible with the new technology. Electric cars are like any other piece of computer technology. By the time you pay it off and for the new computer updates it would need along with the batteries and other maintenance. You'll have almost paid half another new one that is the new technology and start again.

The f150 electric get about 150 miles towing well its 166 from Reno to Winnemucca and the only towns in between are Fernley (30 miles from Reno) and Lovelock which doesn't have a charging station.. Not practical out west when the distances start to open up.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Best reasoning i have heard for not buying an electric vehicle was put like this,
You go buy the best laptop or phone on the market today and what is it worth in five years? Why , because in 5 years the technology is so far superior to what you bought nobody wants it because it doesn't work or is not compatible with the new technology. Electric cars are like any other piece of computer technology. By the time you pay it off and for the new computer updates it would need along with the batteries and other maintenance. You'll have almost paid half another new one that is the new technology and start again.

The f150 electric get about 150 miles towing well its 166 from Reno to Winnemucca and the only towns in between are Fernley (30 miles from Reno) and Lovelock which doesn't have a charging station.. Not practical out west when the distances start to open up.

or any where in the northern US where the mileage drops off when cold

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:15 PM

Cost of living goes up. So it’s fair to say that today things are more expensive than they were last year and so on. So it’s easy for you to blame the current President. If Trump or any other Republican becomes President in the future will you be ok paying that loan?

Keep digging jp. A lot of people are rolling their eyes at you now because you really are clueless on this subject.

But keep posting.
laugh

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:17 PM

Keep digging jp. A lot of people are rolling their eyes at you now because you really are clueless on this subject.

But keep posting.
laugh

Keep saying that. Hoping to drag others in to bash me so you can sit there and giggle.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler

I like that, and is probably true! Noticed that with our laptop and cell phones.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:24 PM

I think the price of vehicles over the last several years has been intentionally bloated just to make the transition to duly expensive electrics seem less of a shock.
Trick of the trade.
The price of gas was raised intentionally too ... for the same reasons.
It took a loooong time before the common man could have a car. A jalopy, Ford T, VW bug, Likely used.
Same thing will happen again. (maybe, if we're lucky enough to be able to have one)
All in the plan, Trump just wasn't on board with it. Neither was I smile

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:26 PM

No, I am being honest with you jp. You are clueless to American current events. I explain them to you then you go to personal finances and being subtly insulting to those people who can't afford it now when before they could.

America went from the best of times in decades to the worst of times in decades in less than two years.

The president blames big "whatever" for increases in prices and "gouging" people. The price of gas and wages has went up exponentially so, as a business, business prices have to go up also. Business can explain why they went up on prices or why they went out of business.

Either way, shipping has had a dramatic effect on prices of everything in the US.

So instead of changing leadership and pointing out the obvious you say we should stop complaining, accept prices are going to go up painfully and work harder to try to get back to the wages we had less than two years ago.

There are other countries in history that have done that to their populations. it usually didn't end well.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:28 PM

Answer- hazardous spent lithium waste.

Can it be recycled? They are working on it.

https://phys.org/news/2019-12-lithium-recycled.html

In the meantime, just keep throwing them away at the dump and replacing them.

Anybody care to know how lithium and cobalt are mined? Hint, it's dangerous and done in the third world with chemicals that poison the environment much worse than anything we do here.

As an attachment, China is big into this in Africa and Asia. Chinese are well versed and have a great reputation of being environmentally friendly.

But as long as electric vehicle drivers feel better about themselves, that is all that matter.

Thanks Bowhunter,

That would be a kick in the nada to have to pay to dispose of your junk vehicle.

I can believe that SOMEDAY in the future after a long period of transition that we'll see alot more electric vehicles, but them trying to do it now without near enough infrastructure to even think Bout it is ludicrous.
Posted By: Sharon

I refuse. I flat out refuse.

The cost isn't just in the buying. Anyone should know that.

It is a string of extra fees, and costs outside the dumb electric car, that takes a slew of oil , gas and lithium mined, to make each one.

The so called charging stations, at one's home and in anyplace, gas is so handy. Lots of expenses besides the car.

I've not seen one out here . Not one station. Doesn't matter to me anyway.

Real working people laugh at this Marxist concept . Hauling heavy equipment, horses, transport, those dumb electric cars, everything is done the right way. The powerful way.

Where in tarnation does electric come from ? In anything ?

There's the question/answer that the Fascists don't want asked.

NONE of those countries are doing this. Every one of them are building more oil plants and going full steam ahead using the ones they have. Meantime, cashing in on partnering up with countries who have the lithium, gas and oil to export , buying up and owning the mines that will bring them untold power over the others who fall for this deception.

It never has been about the environment. Like BLM, that is all just a surface distraction from the undercurrent below.

First thing he does is uses the psychological thing of shutting the pipeline down, as it has been said before what company would invest in a refinery or oil lines knowing some idiot can shut them down with the scroll of a pen ? Now instead of trying to correct his first mistake he goes off and offers the oil tycoons who knows what and we are back to sending more dollars to the desert for them to finance their wars against us. Drain our reserves to others around the world and even if the pipeline wouldn't fill all our needs, psychology means a lot in investing and the markets or even how the average consumer feels when he gets up in the morning !
Posted By: sneaky

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScottPhillips
Don't the batteries wear out in a couple of years? A car or truck today can go 150 to 200k if taken care of? How many miles will an electric vehicle go does anyone know?

I think Tesla batteries are supposed to, in theory, last for a million miles. I'm a bit skeptical

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky

I think Tesla batteries are supposed to, in theory, last for a million miles. I'm a bit skeptical

Me too smile
@ 300 miles to a charge, that's over 3000 charge cycles. wink
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:47 PM

You must be driving Chrysler products. My F-150s go twice that far, the last three I sold at 275-300 and they went another 50k plus.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:47 PM

No, I am being honest with you jp. You are clueless to American current events. I explain them to you then you go to personal finances and being subtly insulting to those people who can't afford it now when before they could.

My apologies bowhunter. The title of this thread and the layout you gave in your opening post had me thinking it was about the affordability and approval of a car loan.

I’ll make sure to learn all about presidencies and politics before I make an appointment for the next car loan.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
First thing he does is uses the psychological thing of shutting the pipeline down, as it has been said before what company would invest in a refinery or oil lines knowing some idiot can shut them down with the scroll of a pen ? Now instead of trying to correct his first mistake he goes off and offers the oil tycoons who knows what and we are back to sending more dollars to the desert for them to finance their wars against us. Drain our reserves to others around the world and even if the pipeline wouldn't fill all our needs, psychology means a lot in investing and the markets or even how the average consumer feels when he gets up in the morning !

This plus offers leases for sale that the Mineral mgnt and oil companies had no indication of oil from previous geophysical reports. This is pure and simple bs.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 05:53 PM

I was in Fargo the other day at a Casey's where they have six charging stations. There were 4 Tesla cars charging while the owners were in the coffee shop. One of them had Virginia plates. Gotta wonder how long it takes you to go across the country at that rate. Imagine if you pulled in and all six of them were taken! How long would you be there? 3-4 hours or more? I hate waiting even 15 minutes at a gas pump.

I certainly think there is certainly a place for these cars and it's inevitable. But they are not for everyone, or every use that's for sure.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 06:01 PM

My apologies bowhunter. The title of this thread and the layout you gave in your opening post had me thinking it was about the affordability and approval of a car loan.

I’ll make sure to learn all about presidencies and politics before I make an appointment for the next car loan.

Now you're using your head. Good job!!

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 06:30 PM

Its not just the cold on the battery efficiency its no heat generated to stop ice build up on the front end defrost windows etc. But try driving from Reno to Vegas in July at 110 plus and cant use air because you won't make the next charging station. And the 150 miles the f150 got was flat land in the midwest not the mountains. There are little towns everywhere back east not so in the west . Bet you can't drive for 2 hours anywhere East of the Mississippi and not pass a town let alone lots of cars, come drive hwy 50 or nv 95 north or lots of places in Oregon Idaho

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 06:45 PM

Just saw this

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technol...m-replacement-battery-costs-more-vehicle

Yep lets go green lol

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
I was in Fargo the other day at a Casey's where they have six charging stations. There were 4 Tesla cars charging while the owners were in the coffee shop. One of them had Virginia plates. Gotta wonder how long it takes you to go across the country at that rate. Imagine if you pulled in and all six of them were taken! How long would you be there? 3-4 hours or more? I hate waiting even 15 minutes at a gas pump.

I certainly think there is certainly a place for these cars and it's inevitable. But they are not for everyone, or every use that's for sure.

One fellow that works in the mine with my son has a tesla electric car.he has had it for a number of years now,and uses it in winter and summer.
last year he drove out to the west coast and back-no problems with the car or travelling.
He had to put on a new set of tires so far.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 07:32 PM

Biden and his woke cronies started this entire mess we are in and yes I am blaming them.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 07:42 PM

But, it's his actions that have cost Americans more. Shutting down the Keystone Pipeline was something he did that is costing us more at the pump. Don't blame the Ukraine war as the cause either. Gas prices were going up before the war. The cost of fuel is one of the main causes of higher prices. The cost for diesel fuel for farmers in my area has doubled. Do we expect them to keep selling their crops for the same price? Truckers are experiencing the same thing. Are we to expect them to lose money by not raising their delivery prices when their cost of fuel has doubled? We were energy independent before he took office.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 07:58 PM

I work with a guy that has bought then traded every two years (sometimes only one year) since we’ve been working together for the last 24 years. He complains that he wished he could’ve retired once the election was over because we both knew the direction it was headed.
He’s had a $500-700 truck payment for the last 24 years! And what makes it worse is every time he got something new, his wife had to have something new, so say $1000-1400 every month for 24 years, lol. So $1200 x 288 months = $345,600. That’s just car payments.
I’m driving a 2000 F150 with 448K miles. No, I wouldn’t take it on a long trip, but it does just fine for an everyday vehicle. I don’t think my buddy has ever put over 10,000 miles on a vehicle since I’ve known him.
As far as an electric vehicle, maybe for putting around town or just driving back and forth to work, but that’s what they make golf carts for in my little community.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 08:11 PM

CNG is the way to go !

Friend has a Ford 350 with CNG. Gets his Natural Gas for FREE!, because he has a Natural Gas storage field on his property. In return for allowing the storage field on his property ; he gets FREE Natural Gas for his home and his truck!

Not a bad deal ..

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

One fellow that works in the mine with my son has a tesla electric car.he has had it for a number of years now,and uses it in winter and summer.
last year he drove out to the west coast and back-no problems with the car or travelling.
He had to put on a new set of tires so far.

You could make the trip on a bicycle and on foot also with no problems. That does not mean it's not inconvenient and requires special planning and allowances. Knowing where charging stations are and planing routes that go to them close enough together even it it's not the way you want to go and allowing hours to charge.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
CNG is the way to go !

Friend has a Ford 350 with CNG. Gets his Natural Gas for FREE!, because he has a Natural Gas storage field on his property. In return for allowing the storage field on his property ; he gets FREE Natural Gas for his home and his truck!

Not a bad deal ..

If the US converted OTR trucks to CNG, look at the petroleum we would save. The greenbeans would freak out because we would have to frac! I would love this plan, full speed ahead like landing a man on the moon. It can be done, and we would be truly energy independent.
Posted By: Pressure9pa

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 09:30 PM

For my day job I work in the manufacture of metallic auto parts, so I've listened to a lot of presentations by the automotive companies on e-mobility. Here are some basics:

Transportation accounts for about 10% of global carbon emissions. However, it's the piece that the consumer sees, so it's a very popular pitch for politicians.

100% e-vehicle is not practical, nor is any auto company assuming it will happen. First, there is not enough discovered copper to be recycled or mined to cover a global 100% electric fleet. (https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...mp;cvid=ae389e3b9e944fbdb4563d8c7758208c)

Driving range is an issue that is improving, but improving slowly. It's tough in a lot of places to take an electric vehicle across the Rockies, and the infrastructure would be slow to catch up.

100% consumer plug ins would require substantial grid improvements at the most local substations.

However ...

Automakers see a definite target with two-vehicle urban/suburban families, with the goal of selling them one e-vehicle and one ICE/hybrid. They believe that between urban consumer who don't travel far anyway and the two-vehicle homes, getting one-third of the developed world market to e-mobility by 2035 is realistic. Between the natural growth of the segment and the rising percentages, this makes for a sustainable business model.

The true zero emission solution would be fuel cells, but current technology does not allow them to be affordable nor safe in a collision. I see mixed answers on fuel cells replacing e-vehicles.

Tight range vehicles for public transportation and similar are very easy to cut over, and provide some of the justification for infrastructure build -- in urban areas only.

So if we listen to the market, and not the politicians, I think it's very fair to say that electric vehicles are very much part of the future. They aren't the absolute future. Microwaves didn't replace the kitchen range, but they reduced the reliance upon them. The microwave is your better choice for re-heating soup, the range is your best choice for cooking a turkey. The EV will probably be a better choice for a ten mile suburban commute, the ICE will be a better choice for a 300 mile vacation. You just have to block out the noise that implies combustion engines are disappearing. They'll be phased out in things like lawn equipment and power tools, but they aren't going the way of the dodo.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

You could make the trip on a bicycle and on foot also with no problems. That does not mean it's not inconvenient and requires special planning and allowances. Knowing where charging stations are and planing routes that go to them close enough together even it it's not the way you want to go and allowing hours to charge.

..... and the likelihood of waiting in line. Better carry along a lunch. Be like the Donner party waiting for the snow to melt.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 10:43 PM

They're actually really nice on a cross country trip Bernie. When you enter your desination the car will calculate where you need to charge and give you directions. As you approach the charging station, it will tell you how many charging ports are open and how long your charge will take. They're always, at least in my experience, right off the interstate. I have not yet waited for a charger and have not taken over 20 minutes. You have enough time to use a bathroom and get something to eat or drink. Your phone tells you how many minutes you have left. When you charge, you just take it and plug it in. The charger recognizes your car and charges your credit card. Most charges are about $15.00. If you're pulling a lot of miles in rural areas, these things are not there yet. They will be, but not yet.

I recently priced out a new Ford Lightning. I hung a bunch of options on it and the price came out to $45,000. I'm sure that was after tax rebates. You can go online and "build" one and they'll quote you a price. I don't really believe that price though, and it is a jump in price to get a longer range. I'm currently in Florida and my Tesla is in Montana but I wish I had it with me. I want to wait a bit, but I'll get an electric pickup for down here. Oh, and the home charger was $2500.00 and another $1000.00 or so to get it wired.

I can't see myself not owning a diesel pickup but I'm affraid of what is going to happen to fuel prices as EV's gain in popularity. My diesel won't be my daily driver. Every car manufacturer is tripping over themselves to develop EV technology and they're coming.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 10:52 PM

I work in the petroleum industry, installing tanks, pumps and complete builds on convienence stores. We've got more business than we can handle. Gasoline is not going away anytime soon.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 11:03 PM

PF,You obviously never drove across Canada,lol.
Posted By: MTHunter

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/18/22 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Question?????

Can the batteries from these cars be recycled, or are they hazardous waste?

From what I’ve read, batteries can’t be recycled and are a hazardous waste like the lithium mine and over their lifetime, produce more CO2 than cars.

A new Lithium battery only costs $16,000.
Posted By: grampy

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 01:14 AM

can someone tell me how to activate the " ignore" button. Tks
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 01:36 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 01:55 AM

Yep, Nessy, or the Chinese deciding to restrict lithium and other components to anyone they want, along with anything else they now own the production of.
Posted By: Clark

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 02:56 AM

JP, you’re trying to talk sense into someone who wants to believe their position is justified through some very creative bargaining on an unrelated topic. He could have also compared the cost of a ~$28K Nissan Leaf but that wouldn’t fit the agenda. Or talked about gas prices. But instead he is able to connect unrelated topics in a manner that mere mortals like you and me will never understand.

Bernie is correct. Electric vehicles aren't for everyone but their application is becoming greater. You don’t have to hate them just because you don’t understand them. I do love the meme about doubling the price of electricity. My coworker charges his Leaf for something like $1.25. Go ahead and double the price and his cost/mile will still be much lower than a gas vehicle.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Clark
JP, you’re trying to talk sense into someone who wants to believe their position is justified through some very creative bargaining on an unrelated topic. He could have also compared the cost of a ~$28K Nissan Leaf but that wouldn’t fit the agenda. Or talked about gas prices. But instead he is able to connect unrelated topics in a manner that mere mortals like you and me will never understand.

Bernie is correct. Electric vehicles aren't for everyone but their application is becoming greater. You don’t have to hate them just because you don’t understand them. I do love the meme about doubling the price of electricity. My coworker charges his Leaf for something like $1.25. Go ahead and double the price and his cost/mile will still be much lower than a gas vehicle.

Ther are allready rolling black outs because the grid can't Handel the current usage. In California they have asked people not to charge their cars some days. At the same time they are shutting coal power plants down. It's not hard to see its not a good combination.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 03:57 AM

Better do your homework before sign up for hose electric cars. NIGHTMARE in hiding

Climate change advocates push electric vehicles, arguing they help save the planet and save consumers money over time.

But one Florida family just learned that is not always true.
What happened?

Avery Siwinski, a 17-year-old from St. Petersburg, loved her electric Ford Focus. Her parents spent $11,000 on the used vehicle, a 2014 with 60,000 miles on the odometer. Siwinski described her wheels as "small and quiet and cute."

Then one day, just six months after her parents purchased the vehicle, it suddenly stopped working.

"In March, it started giving an alert," Siwinski told WTSP-TV. "And then we took it to the shop and it stopped running."

The car, according to mechanics, needed a new battery. Unfortunately, a local Ford dealership said replacing the battery will cost $14,000 — and that figure did not even include labor costs. The dealership even made an embarrassing offer of $500 for the vehicle.

But, according to Siwinski's grandfather Ray, the story gets worse.

Weeks after learning a battery replacement costs more than the car itself, Ray Siwinski learned owners of the electric Ford Focus cannot even buy replacement batteries. Ford discontinued production of the vehicle several years ago.
Posted By: danvee

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 04:15 AM

$80,000 pickups and pleased dont become a farmer, you dont even want to know what the machinery cost.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 11:28 AM

You watch the View? What a surprise!

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 01:44 PM

I can understand a canadian not being able to see what I was saying based on current events in the US.

But you are American and don't understand what I was saying. You and jp must be using the same bow and arrow. Neither one of you are even hitting the target.

If buying an ev were simply an option and nothing else was being changed like access to oil on land or by pipeline and joey hadn't said that prices of gas will be higher "as long as it takes", then I could understand. But coercion is taking place by the left to nudge people into buying an ev through blaming fossil fuels for climate heating cooling change while ignoring the long term effects of a landfill full of lithium and cobalt. I just heard on the radio how this latest gas price "reduction was being sold. The radio lady said this was the largest gas price reduction in history. Surely you can balk at that. Maybe?

If it were a straight simple personal choice like before to purchase an ev, then I would have no problem with it. But it is not and for you to not see that as an American is troubling.

Now a 28k ev is more affordable at the same loan parameters. However the payment would still be $522/month. Either you have a very high paying job, which is fine, or you don't see how the middle and lower class are being pinched and will be pinched even harder in coming months.

My household has pulled in two belt notches at least. Our discretionary spending has been cut to next to nothing in comparison to a couple of years ago and I am still shocked at how the cost of everything is going up.

Maybe you can understand the gist of what I am saying now but it is obvious you are starting from a position you believe is justified so my guess is we will have to agree to disagree. Hopefully you can see what I am talking about. If nothing else, look at the price of eggs and extrapolate that out to the cost, on average, of nearly everything else.

It's going to get worse and people's wallets are going to get even skinnier. But go ahead and show us how hard you and jp can work so you can be the role model for us all. You trap a bunch of coon this year?
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 03:44 PM

Well intend to still be driving my diesel truck when Sniffy, Peelousy and the rest of their geriatric band of clowns are dead and buried.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Well intend to still be driving my diesel truck when Sniffy, Peelousy and the rest of their geriatric band of clowns are dead and buried.

I plan on it for the rest of my life regardless of what them idiots push.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

..... and producing fossil fuel themselves smile

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 05:16 PM

They have to go with the momentum now while they have hot weather and their take that the climate is changing. Yes I agree it has cycles like everything else.
Two weeks ago when it was hot but never over 100 degrees the local weather man said our record for that day in July ever since they been keeping records was 109 degrees in 1901.
I guess the weather in the next 2 weeks will be a great promotion for their cause.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 05:29 PM

They have to go with the momentum now while they have hot weather and their take that the climate is changing. Yes I agree it has cycles like everything else.
Two weeks ago when it was hot but never over 100 degrees the local weather man said our record for that day in July ever since they been keeping records was 109 degrees in 1901.
I guess the weather in the next 2 weeks will be a great promotion for their cause.

I was a young lad back in the fiftys, and we had a heat wave for several weeks. It was 115 and I think a couple days that were a few degrees hotter. I believe it was in 58, and funny how if the earth is gettiing so hot, it hasn't came anywhere close to that since then. What a bunch of hogwash, perpetrated on the citizens of this country and the world.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 06:09 PM

lee- I remember that heat wave. I was 18 in 1958 and lived in Salina. I was working as a laborer for Johnson's Construction. That was some sweaty, dirty work. IIRC the temperature cooled off to about 95 degrees at night.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by LAtrapper
lee- I remember that heat wave. I was 18 in 1958 and lived in Salina. I was working as a laborer for Johnson's Construction. That was some sweaty, dirty work. IIRC the temperature cooled off to about 95 degrees at night.

No kidding! As a kid then, I don't remember all that much about it, but I distinctly remember my dad praying for rain every night! It was a hot dry bugger, and back then, no one had AC. Thank you for the reply, bud!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 09:24 PM

It will, and they'll ride it for all it's worth. Never let a good crisis go to waste.
Posted By: Guss

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 09:50 PM

The demon did not think this electric car first. The battery don't last in these cars . Also there not to many plug-ins around.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer

I was a young lad back in the fiftys, and we had a heat wave for several weeks. It was 115 and I think a couple days that were a few degrees hotter. I believe it was in 58, and funny how if the earth is gettiing so hot, it hasn't came anywhere close to that since then. What a bunch of hogwash, perpetrated on the citizens of this country and the world.

It's the religion of our time Lee.
It goes something like this,
"Everybody.... pagans.... listen up.
Form a circle. Hold hands and chant.
Be sure and sacrifice the human babies but save the animals,
as our master wants us - as religious zealots - to undermine God's order of man ruling over the fish, birds, and beasts of the earth.
Do not stop. The Godly are fewer now and we are gaining momentum as the majority and we will not be defeated."

Oh well. All we can do is pray for strength to live among those who are foolish.
Foolishness being defined as knowing the Truth but going about things your own way anyway.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 11:13 PM

I can understand a canadian not being able to see what I was saying based on current events in the US.

But you are American and don't understand what I was saying. You and jp must be using the same bow and arrow. Neither one of you are even hitting the target…

It's going to get worse and people's wallets are going to get even skinnier. But go ahead and show us how hard you and jp can work so you can be the role model for us all. You trap a bunch of coon this year?

If that’s what you wanted to say it why did you use this convoluted analogy? Last I checked, the price of all vehicles has been going up considerably in the past two years. Why does it matter what propels it? It doesn’t.

If there is a grand conspiracy I would love to know the actors. As Charles Colton pointed out, 12 people couldn’t keep the Watergate scandal a secret for very long. So this must be a very small group that is somehow keeping us under their thumb.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/19/22 11:49 PM

If there is a grand conspiracy I would love to know the actors. As Charles Colton pointed out, 12 people couldn’t keep the Watergate scandal a secret for very long. So this must be a very small group that is somehow keeping us under their thumb.

more of a consensus of opinion by those who think they are in charge. you know, the George Soros types.

and if you think they can't/don't influence real world life, you're naive beyond belief...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gasc%C3%B3n

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 03:14 AM

But you are American and don't understand what I was saying. You and jp must be using the same bow and arrow. Neither one of you are even hitting the target…

If that’s what you wanted to say it why did you use this convoluted analogy? Last I checked, the price of all vehicles has been going up considerably in the past two years. Why does it matter what propels it? It doesn’t.

Good grief!!

Shaking my head.

You actually think I am talking about the price of cars and whether it is electric or not?

You are blind beyond belief. Now post all the quote you want, but notice everyone else except you and jp understand this thread. Yet you continue to insinuate I am the dummy.

Good grief man!! Please go back and read the entire post at the top of this page. Read it three times please. Slowly. Maybe you will get it, but from the looks of things I don't have much hope.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 03:42 AM

Good grief!!

Shaking my head.

You actually think I am talking about the price of cars and whether it is electric or not?

You are blind beyond belief. Now post all the quote you want, but notice everyone else except you and jp understand this thread. Yet you continue to insinuate I am the dummy.

Good grief man!! Please go back and read the entire post at the top of this page. Read it three times please. Slowly. Maybe you will get it, but from the looks of things I don't have much hope.

Just cause you’re the author doesn’t mean you can change the meaning of the words you wrote. I don’t care how many times you try to spin it. You said what you said and it can’t mean anything else just because you said so.

Must have really riled you up that a Canadian pointed that out to you eh!

Put some gravy on your fries and sprinkle a little cheese on top.
Posted By: Savell

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 04:04 AM

... calm down ... it’s all goin to be ok I promise lol

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 04:05 AM

Refer to previous statement.

"You are blind beyond belief. Now post all the quote you want, but notice everyone else except you and jp understand this thread. Yet you continue to insinuate I am the dummy."

Fascinating.

There was a meaning to the words I wrote that Americans, except clark, understood. That is quite obvious. And when I try to explain what I wrote, you tell me I am wrong. Holy crap man!! Reminds me of my wife.

Keep your poutine. It will make you feel better I am sure.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Savell

LOL!! We just ned a little lone star.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Savell

LOL!! We just ned a little lone star.

.. them canadians drink kanokee beer .. or something like that .. got a bigfoot ridin a snowboard on the bottle if I remember correctly... anyway a couple of those and they lay down and start sucking their thumb lol

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 04:13 AM

Careful Savell, your'e gonna rile a canadian. Don't know what will happen if you do that.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 04:15 AM

... hopefully I’ll survive.. if not , it’s been a decent run lol

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 11:43 AM

Bowhunter - I’m simply addressing what you wrote, not what you tried to imply. I must not read poetry or other figurative literature as often as you because I’m still not sure what you are trying to say. But let me try: prices are going up. Is that correct?

Let your yes be yes and your no be no. It’s that simple. And if you need to use an apology at least make it short.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 02:53 PM

Bowhunter - I’m simply addressing what you wrote, not what you tried to imply. I must not read poetry or other figurative literature as often as you because I’m still not sure what you are trying to say. But let me try: prices are going up. Is that correct?

Let your yes be yes and your no be no. It’s that simple. And if you need to use an apology at least make it short.

And yet you continue to say I am not understandable. Two people on this thread don't get it. The rest do. Yeah, it's my fault for not being clear.

Sorry your feelings got hurt.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 03:57 PM

X2!

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 04:11 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 04:41 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/20/22 05:13 PM

The solution to all of these problems is to buy a 12 valve cummins. It will run on anything. Let them outlaw diesel fuel. I can run on 100% waste motor oil if needed that can be gotten for free. Newer is not better
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 12:05 AM

Most of my kids have had electric cars. Most have been 1/24 scale.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 04:17 AM

Green energy should grow at it's own pace without government payouts. It has expanded over the years irregardless who is in office. it's progress should stand on it's own reveal.
We shouldn't destroy our standing in a world setting for simple obligation
Posted By: Marty

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 04:28 AM

usps is getting 128,000 new vehicles. I think the # is accurate,,,,but it is from memory. They want something like 50% of them to be electric...

sick

I would not put it past these morons to get the military some electric vehicles..
Posted By: mnsota

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 04:47 AM

The military should be curtained from main stream media. Todays reporting suggested recruitment down significantly ,..well why,..General Keene suggests,employment opportunities are so widely available. Well when promotional ads suggest such woke acceptance,.what percentage of level minded graduates feel comfortable entering that sphere
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 11:26 AM

A simple fact.

we don't have enough generating capacity to charge ev's if even 1/4 of the vehicles on the road went to electric.
Right now there is approx 2% of the vehicles on the road are ev's.

Another little fact too.

in 1970 it took 1 gallon of oil to produce 100 gallons.
Now it takes 1 gallon to produce less than 5 gallons.

While there maybe lots of oil in the ground it takes alot more energy to get it out.
This little tidbit is why gas costs so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehHibdfvSqM

give this 20 minute video a watch, there is some interesting info on energy.
Posted By: beeman

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 11:52 AM

I embrace electric vehicles. Don’t you anti electric vehicle people realize that for everyone of those electric vehicles that means there will be more gas and oil for you at a lower price?
Posted By: white marlin

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by beeman
I embrace electric vehicles. Don’t you anti electric vehicle people realize that for everyone of those electric vehicles that means there will be more gas and oil for you at a lower price?

you REALLY think it will work that way?????????????????????

how old are you?
Posted By: Badger23

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 12:49 PM

beeman, I highly doubt that it will work that way at all. Anyone with a gas or diesel vehicle will be taxed to the moon and back. I'd be willing to bet on that.
Your thought process on that isn't based in reality.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
beeman, I highly doubt that it will work that way at all. Anyone with a gas or diesel vehicle will be taxed to the moon and back. I'd be willing to bet on that.
Your thought process on that isn't based in reality.

Those electric vehicles aren't paying any road tax, at least not yet. So they are being subsidized by those of us who don't own one. Or I should say on top of the other subsidies.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 03:05 PM

They were referring to the massive vehicle freeway pile up last winter that involved around 70 vehicles on NewsMax the other day. Had all those vehicles been electric many people would have froze to death.

There's the guy who had a Tesla and had to replace the batteries at a cost of close to $20,000. He went viral and blew the car up. Don't have to ask him his opinion of electric cars.
Posted By: beeman

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 04:05 PM

They were referring to the massive vehicle freeway pile up last winter that involved around 70 vehicles on NewsMax the other day. Had all those vehicles been electric many people would have froze to death.

There's the guy who had a Tesla and had to replace the batteries at a cost of close to $20,000. He went viral and blew the car up. Don't have to ask him his opinion of electric cars.

Found this article on batteries for a Tesla.

How long do Tesla batteries last?

Never be so concerned if you’re looking at Tesla battery replacement costs while preparing for a future replacement. According to Tesla, Model X and Model S retain 90 percent capacity even after reaching 200,000 miles. Since we drive around 14,000 miles a year, it would take at least 15 years for your Tesla car to reach the 200,000-mile mark. Because the average American keeps their car for around 12 years, there’s a slight chance you’ll need to replace your Tesla’s battery during its lifetime.

On the other hand, the current battery modules should last 300,000 to 500,000 miles or 1,500 cycles. So, you may have to do Tesla battery replacement once or twice during the vehicle’s lifetime. The company will handle the necessary repairs if the battery capacity falls below 70% during the warranty period.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 04:46 PM

Using your figures that comes to 333.33 miles per charge. I have serious doubts in that being actual miles per charge. Sounds like the claims of windmill longevity.

Granted the girl that the parents bought her a used Ford EV and not a Tesla, is now dead with 60,000 miles and the battery is obsolete would be as skeptical as I am. Their purchase price was $11,000 and is now worth $500 being that it is a discontinued model and the $14,000 replacement battery is no longer available. BTW $14,000 didn't include installation either.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by beeman

Found this article on batteries for a Tesla.

How long do Tesla batteries last?

Never be so concerned if you’re looking at Tesla battery replacement costs while preparing for a future replacement. According to Tesla, Model X and Model S retain 90 percent capacity even after reaching 200,000 miles. Since we drive around 14,000 miles a year, it would take at least 15 years for your Tesla car to reach the 200,000-mile mark. Because the average American keeps their car for around 12 years, there’s a slight chance you’ll need to replace your Tesla’s battery during its lifetime.

On the other hand, the current battery modules should last 300,000 to 500,000 miles or 1,500 cycles. So, you may have to do Tesla battery replacement once or twice during the vehicle’s lifetime. The company will handle the necessary repairs if the battery capacity falls below 70% during the warranty period.

The man's Tesla was new in 2013. It was a model S. The batteries failed in 2021. So, the vehicle was 8 years old. Based on your calculations at 14,000 miles per year, the car would have 112,000 miles on it. Tesla wouldn't stand behind the problem. It took 60 pounds of dynamite to blow it up.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 04:51 PM

Buy all them you guys that want them want, just let the market decide if they're going to survive or not without torturing the rest of us.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 05:10 PM

Who only drives 14000 miles per year.

Re: So let's buy an electric car - 07/21/22 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Who only drives 14000 miles per year.

My mom may drive 7000. Maybe.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums