Home

Tingles just a bit.

Posted By: Macthediver

Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:12 PM

I'm one them people runs tools with guards removed. Was cutting some angle iron with 4 inch grinder and diamond disc. I meant to put gloves on but left them on tailgate of truck. Managed to bump the edge of cut off wheel with my finger. Not first time I've nicked myself with a cut off wheel. I find that the hits like this don't seem to bleed much. As most here probably know anything thing about a finger nail tends to sting just a bit. Might make you throw the grinder and swear. Lol.
At least this just little boo-boo. Last time I had to super glue myself on leg. Doctor wasn't to happy about that one as I was doing chemo at the time. That was several years ago now and scars not even worth talking pic of.

[Linked Image]

Mac
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:14 PM

Gave me a chill seeing that!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:16 PM

I hope you didnt pee down your leg. I might have ….
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:17 PM

Yikes!!
Posted By: bandy

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:17 PM

Done that.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:21 PM

I say some kinda French words when that happens
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:22 PM

I did that cutting a piece of aluminum angle for the boat took a chunk out of my holding hand rushing a week before we left on our big fishing trip last year

new skin or super glue after cleaning it will help it to heal under that type of wound where it is abraded off and where you don't scab well.

that helped and I was fine getting dirty and water and fish slime on my hands that week later.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:26 PM

Dang hard to cut anything with one of those with a guard on. First thing I always did was get rid of it. Used to go round and round with the safty guys they always had around pipeline jobs! Osha would still have me in jail. I've always felt that your responsible for your own actions, but they don't see it that way! My latest stunt was when I shot my new glock CCW gun the other day. Double handed it and the first shot, the slide made the top of my knuckle into hamburger! lol. I fertilized a little yard with blood! But I don't hold it like that anymore!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:40 PM

I got hit so many times with bit of cut off wheels on grinders of all sizes that I am now leaving the guard on.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
I got hit so many times with bit of cut off wheels on grinders of all sizes that I am now leaving the guard on.

This cut off disc is metal with diamond edge. So not much chance it explodes like composite do. The thing that I make sure I have skin covered is running wire wheels. Them suckers throw them wire harpoons. Guy should have a face shield with most them disc. For sure with wire wheels. But I don't own one and should.

Mac
Posted By: super cub

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 04:29 PM

I knew what had happened before I read it. ....... don't ask
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 04:32 PM

Yikes! Close call!

Usually the choice is guard on and cannot complete the task, or guard off and get the job done. I do wear safety glasses and gloves using those handy and wicked grinders.

Had a close call in the winter. A bad smashed finger, but thought much worse at first.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 07:14 PM

Back in the spring I nearly cut my left pinky off when a cut off disc came apart, went to the bone and was about 2 inches long. Surprising it didn't hurt much or even bleed much.
Doc was going to stitch it, but thought that it needed looking at by a hand guy. Was sent to the big hospital and 8 hours later after 4 people probed and messed with it they sewed it up best they could. Darn thing wouldn't heal right, but it's 90 % now...when I tightened the disc on I heard a light crack....so I used it, lol, it held up till it binded up a little in the pipe I was cutting....
I was just going to tape it up.... grin, but my wife wouldn't hear of it.

Moral , wear safety glasses, maybe gloves, none of which would have helped, and don't tighten those cheap Harbor Freight discs too much!....
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 07:21 PM

Ouch
Posted By: Mainelogger

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 07:32 PM

I took one just above the belly button cutting the threaded rod off a brake can for a semi truck if it hadn't have tangled up in my shirt there would've been quite a mess to clean up. Got a nice little scar to remind me to use 2 hands!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 08:11 PM

That would ruin the rest of the month for me for sure!
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/21/22 09:50 PM

I think most everyone here has just grabbed a grinder or a dremel and not put safety glasses and gloves on and wound up with a close call or worse. I still do on occasion. I don't always wear gloves but I try my best to have safety glasses on. I've had pieces fly up and catch me in the cheek often enough I know I don't want to take one in the eye so I've been lucky so far. That goes with weed eaters too, they can zing a rock at lightning speed.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/22/22 12:22 AM

Cutoff wheel of any type seems to cauterize the wound. Got a finger or 2 myself laugh
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/22/22 02:06 AM

Took the very end of my thumb off with a bandsaw once. My nemesis is a free standing, nine inch flexible disc with 24 grit sanding disc.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/22/22 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by BTLowry
Cutoff wheel of any type seems to cauterize the wound. Got a finger or 2 myself laugh

Yeah Brian, it kinda burns the cut into the skin. Had way too many of them! About like road rash on a small narrow scale! Very deep, anvd it takes forever for the scab to let go, and always leaves a scar, unless it ain't very deep!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/22/22 10:56 AM

dang put the guard back on
Posted By: trapr

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/22/22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by bandy
Done that.

same
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Tingles just a bit. - 07/22/22 02:28 PM

Didn’t really need to see that but a good reminder.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums