Home

How many of you on this Forum really trap

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:37 PM

Just wondering. Maybe I should ask how many don’t trap? I trap mostly coyotes for about a month and set a few traps for mink, muskrats and weasels for several weeks. About as much as this old body can handle.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:42 PM

Mostly just a few pest around the farm. Every year I plan on a big cat/marten/fisher trip and never follow through
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:42 PM

I do, but not as much as I want to but the kids and I try to get after coon, fox and coyote
Posted By: fieldsy

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:43 PM

use to a little, no more. now just live trapping through those on this forum...
Posted By: Marty

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:44 PM

I trap some every season...lotsa pets running around so I mostly use dp's and trap public land.
Posted By: Boco

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:44 PM

Trap pretty much all year round for last 30 years and fur trapped in winter only for 20 yearsbefore that.
Was able to build up my RR pension quite a bit with all the overtime I put in when I trapped full time as nuisance beaver control 4-man there.
So my pension is a product of my years trapping also.
I still currently manage the fur resource on 3 different Registered Traplines,and do nuisance beaver work and co ordinate the nuisance beaver program for our local fur council.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:45 PM

Prefer water trapping and have taken a few beaver and muskrat in my time.
Tom
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:46 PM

Love to trap. Seems to be only beaver trapping with a depressed market. May try to catch a few kitties this winter.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:47 PM

I run rat traps about 60-70 days per season. The other species in our area, mink, coon, canines about 3-4 weeks.

Bryce
Posted By: Bob

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:47 PM

I do. I’m not a long liner or anything but I love catching canines. I like water trapping, buuut I live in the middle of the desert so there’s not much of that to be done here. I hope to be able to run 40 or 50 sets this fall, been saving up PTO so I can work three days and trap 4 every week in October, November and December. I’ll try to catch a few bobcats, but even when western cats were bringing $600 they just don’t get my blood pumping like a coyote.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:50 PM

I do every year mainly beaver for a few farmers for the duck hunting rights and keep the coyotes in check around the house and few other farms . I wish I could do a lot more of it but work normally gets in the way of it . I was just talking to my oldest son about running a line on the lake this winter for a few days ,hopefully he will help if not I doubt I will do it .
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:50 PM

I trap worthless southern coyote... Why?....Cuz coyote's need killing, lots of killing!
Posted By: mole

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:52 PM

Pearl & I do some every year here

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:55 PM

I think I've gotten at least a few traps out every season since graduated highschool??? Even if just a dozen rat set on some creek. More some years than others though. Haven't had any big numbers out since market took dive. Did have some season with a sun up to sun down line. Usually for couple weeks while on vacation from work.

Mac
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:56 PM

Couple of months in fall and early winter, then nuisance beaver on occasion in the spring and summer. If beaver prices were better I would trap them winter and spring.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:57 PM

I do a little just to scratch the itch, but with prices, it's not really worth my time currently.....I do catch a lot of mice around my house and in my garage if that counts.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:59 PM

Year round
Posted By: COYOTE101

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 06:59 PM

I trap Predators 335 days a year !!!! Targeting Mainly Coyotes and Nesting Predators.
Posted By: trappinia

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:01 PM

I take two to three weeks a year off to trap , also do some nusance work year round .
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:04 PM

I trap about, two and a half months. Mixed in with meat hunting.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:04 PM

I catch coons, skunk and groundhogs around chicken house and machine shed. Occasionally have a couple of neighbors with a pond that needs muskrat or beaver taken out. I usually set and they do the checking.

I get about as much excitement seeing others on here with their catches, esp. the younger ones.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:10 PM

I do beavers and nutrias. I've cut way back from last year being semi-retired. I still take care of my local municipality that I've had a contract with for the past 32 years.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:10 PM

Started trapping when I was about 9 or 10 years old . That was more than 50 years ago now .When the fur market crashed in 1987 there was a few years that i did little of no trapping Party due to being unable to find a buyer for the fur that i did catch . When it started to recover some I became more serious about trapping than ever before. My best years numbers wise where from age 45 to 65 .My health has slowed me down a great deal.I enjoy all types of hunting ,Archery and. rifle deer hunting ,Small game ,pheasant, rabbit, waterfowl But many of my best outdoor memories of time spent outdoors was while trapping My main regret is that I did not spend more time trapping than I did
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:14 PM

Started up again 4 years ago. Retired June 3rd, coyote and rats. Planning more this fall.
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:16 PM

Trap mostly coyotes for a few weeks
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:18 PM

Full time trapping for me now since retirement on June 1st.

Nuisance control is keeping me as busy as I want to be...

This morning's triple on corn-raiding coon...10 day job.

[Linked Image]

Another beaver job to start early next week after quote approval....

I thought about advertising my control business (now that I'm retired from my real job) but I'm concerned I'd get too much trapping work....lol
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:19 PM

I do but honestly I have more fun building stuff and modding traps. Honestly I pretty elated when I catch a possum in some over the top cage trap I cobbled together grin besides seems when you start catching alot you have to deal with a cap load of drama and who wants that laugh
Posted By: corky

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:20 PM

Health issues have curtailed it quite a bit. Now I just trap predators on my hunting land and nuisance animals in the neighborhood.
Posted By: nate

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:23 PM

I try n trap only in season but end up doing pest control alittle each year as well.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:23 PM

ADC work all summer long. And again In the spring and fall. Trap coyotes with CRs once the snow flies. Might cut back a bit on that with those No Value WI coyotes.
My plans this year will be to catch 50 coons and work at targeting more skunks.
Posted By: IowaTrapper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:31 PM

I'd like to think I dabble in it...I love to trap ans will until I absolutely physically cant
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:35 PM

Why would you be on a trapping website, if you didn't ?

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by LT GREY

I would guess there are some that don’t but just like to talk about issues especially this part of the forum which doesn’t have to be specific to trapping. And then there are some that are retired from trapping.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:42 PM

I'm a coon Trapper. Was going to transition to coyotes but prices have tanked. Last year I don't think I set a trap. This year isn't looking much better. The few I do catch I tan and keep for myself for crafts.
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:48 PM

I am retired now so I trap 3 to 4 months every winter mostly coyotes & bobcats. I really enjoy trapping coyotes with foot hold traps. But my all time favorite tool is Snares!!!! I just love a well made Dispatch Snare. With the fur market being down it might be a good year to try some new areas and new furbearers!
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:53 PM

I trapped from around 1977-1985 then really didn’t do any trapping until 2019.I kept all them traps stashed for 34 years figuring I’d get the itch again.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:54 PM

Have trapped a lot of beaver, muskrat, mink, coyote, coon, and of course the occasional grinner. I prefer trapping beaver and have pretty much settled back into that. I have 2 Grandsons coming up so will probably have to pick things up a little, but that's perfectly fine by me.

Moosetrot
Posted By: backroadsarcher

I do what I can with a full time job, always wish I could do more. Trap mainly around home to keep the canine predators at bay. Do trap others also beaver, rats and coon when the price isnt so low.
Posted By: warrior

I've been fortunate enough make a living at it for nearly 20 years. Not much of a living but I ain't dead yet, lol.
Posted By: Kristen🦊

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:55 PM

I trap a little private land every year.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:55 PM

I started trapping at a young age on my bicycle. Trapping is in my blood. Always set traps for some kind of critters. Last year it mostly beaver,rats and mink. Kept a few mink sets out most of season and learned a lot more about road trapping in the snow. A few nuisance coon and skunk jobs in the summer for friends.
Posted By: warrior

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 07:56 PM

Had a double on coon today. Mama and kit in the same cage, a kit in two other cages for four total on that job.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:00 PM

Yep, mostly ADC beaver and some muskrats and raccoon during season. Used to trap a lot more before the fur market collapsed and I found myself with all sorts of adult responsibility LOL
I make sure to take the kids out when I can
Posted By: Longbeard12

I trap for for 3-4 months. Love it. Coyote fox bobcat coons
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

I am a trapper therefore I trap. Might be differently but will always get after predators. With all the leasing an hunters closing gates to anything that might spook their game its a great way to gain access to properties that are impossible to penetrate legally. Also working for a ranch/farm I'm always being told to decrease problem critters #s
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:01 PM

I set for cats in December and January on public land . Work gets in my way , making it hard though . Also our wonderful state wildlife Dept continues to shut down thousands of public roads on BLM and forest service lands during the winter months in the name of " protecting wildlife " . It's nothing but bs and has done nothing , nada , zip , zilch , to protect anything . In fact it has the opposite has occurred . There is no predator control , making hundreds of thousands of acres a free lunch zone .

Also because of all the winter range closesures there is NO dispersal of public land user groups , forcing everyone onto a few main arteries . When we have mild weeks in the winter with little to no snow and lots of sunshine it becomes a s show miles outta town , in places you can't believe you'd see people . Subarus and freaks with unhealthy emotional attachments to dogs are everywhere . I find myself having to travel 50 60 miles one way outta town . mad

Our fish and game disservice can't figure out why we've had a 40 yr decline in mule deer population , but they've certainly figured out how to oversell tags in the name of " saving our retirement " mad mad mad

I gotta quit thinking about it or I'ma gonna have a heart attack
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:03 PM

Trapped in high school back when legal in this commie state. Went away from it when I took up waterfowl hunting in college. The last four or five years I've gotten back into it but its tougher cause we have cages only. So I catch lots of raccoons to try to keep them in bounds on some land I hunt on. The last three years I have trapped bobcat on that same land. Started seeing them on my trail cameras and have learned a lot of patience and a lot about kitties.
Posted By: Guss

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:05 PM

I trap just another Hobbie.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:16 PM

Started trapping in the mid 70's for mainly water critters. Dog eat dog world back then as the price of fur was quite high and the competition in some cases was shady if not downright criminal. Never made my livelyhood from it but sure did enjoy the time on the rivers and marshes to the present day.

Chris
Posted By: The hammer

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:20 PM

Trapped my entire life. 3rd generation kiddo will make the fourth.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:21 PM

Usually run two canine lines, one before Christmas, another in January. Put out some CRs too. But I’ll trap beaver till season ends at the end of March.
Posted By: gcs

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:27 PM

About the only trapping I do now is to keep the coon and possums and occasional woodchuck away from the house...This is a coon free zone...lol
I did have an extensive trapline catching mice in the basement this year!...
Posted By: marathonman

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:28 PM

I nuisance trap 9months of the year and fur trap 5 months overlaping my nuisance work
Posted By: Catch22

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:38 PM

I'm a shortliner lol. When my body let's me I still trap, mainly coon and groundhog. I eat most of the groundhogs. I'm gonna be longlining a chipmunk line as soon as I get it ready. I need a new chipmunk fur speedo, wore my last one out. grin Them chipmunks are pretty tasty too!!
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:42 PM

I trap and snare some every year. Used to do it fairly big time years ago. But as I get older and still working full time.... getting by with only 3 or 4 hours sleep ain't really something I want to do anymore. But I still got the bug. Do up a dozen or two traps every year. It's like collecting cookie jars. Always gotta have more. Nowadays I get alot of enjoyment from doing my trapping demos and educating non trappers about the sport.... or need to control critters. And it seems like someone always has trouble with badgers digging in the wrong places.... skunks or woodchucks taking up residence in a farmstead building site.... coons, mink or weasels breaking into some one's chicken coop. So being about the only trapper for miles around I help get rid of some problem critters for folks year round. Gets me a lot of land to hunt on and call yotes and cats in the winter. But when I quit punching a clock here in a year or so I hope to put out a big line for critters.... and hopefully be able to take a couple young n or two along. Also being busy welding and tinkering and modifying is in my plans too......... the Good Lord willing .. if He let's me stay on this earth a few years !!!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
I trap worthless southern coyote... Why?....Cuz coyote's need killing, lots of killing!

Snap

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
I set for cats in December and January on public land . Work gets in my way , making it hard though . Also our wonderful state wildlife Dept continues to shut down thousands of public roads on BLM and forest service lands during the winter months in the name of " protecting wildlife " . It's nothing but bs and has done nothing , nada , zip , zilch , to protect anything . In fact it has the opposite has occurred . There is no predator control , making hundreds of thousands of acres a free lunch zone .

Also because of all the winter range closesures there is NO dispersal of public land user groups , forcing everyone onto a few main arteries . When we have mild weeks in the winter with little to no snow and lots of sunshine it becomes a s show miles outta town , in places you can't believe you'd see people . Subarus and freaks with unhealthy emotional attachments to dogs are everywhere . I find myself having to travel 50 60 miles one way outta town . mad

Our fish and game disservice can't figure out why we've had a 40 yr decline in mule deer population , but they've certainly figured out how to oversell tags in the name of " saving our retirement " mad mad mad

I gotta quit thinking about it or I'ma gonna have a heart attack

We don’t have that problem just to the south of you. I can only think of one road that gets closed during winter around here, and that one really should be. It’s downright dangerous with even just a little snow.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:49 PM

Full time NWCO, but mostly bats, woodchucks and squirrels. 3 or 4 beaver jobs a year. Skunks and coons here and there. No canines. Haven't set for, or skinned fur in 7 years or so.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 08:51 PM

Don’t miss many years I’ll do skunks this year but driving 100 miles round trip for cats is out.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 09:30 PM

I trap until it's not fun anymore. That goes for the day, the season. and more than likely my lifetime. Coon, rats, beaver, and coyotes, with a occasional otter, bobcat, or fox mixed in for surprise.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 09:34 PM

I have trapped in some way or another, be it fur trapping or now nuisance trapping for 46 years straight. I don't really fur trap now, due to making enough money at work to be comfortable and by November I am worn out from working 2 jobs (I run a NWCO business as a side business). Also the money it not there to get me out to trap for fur now. I did trap coyotes for fun last year while nuisance trapping beaver and got 7 in 12 days on 2 sections, had a blast.

If I had a buddy ask me to go and he agreed to skin I might think about it LOL
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Mostly just a few pest around the farm. Every year I plan on a big cat/marten/fisher trip and never follow through

Are you scared of getting stranded somewhere and run out of party members to eat? smile
Get out there man. Life is for living, not just thinking about it.
Posted By: DWC

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 09:39 PM

I have trapped every year for the last 12 or so, even if it was just for a few days. Now i have finally moved to an area i can trap out my back door, critters are worthless and gas is through the roof. Ill set out a few yote sets close to home this year to have the boy who is 3 check them with me before daycare. I think ill need 5 dollar carcass coon and 3 dollar gas before ill make a coon set. If you tried charging to catch coon here, you would get laughed off the property and theyll just put out the coke and golden malrin before you were out of sight.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 09:46 PM

I’ve longlined mixed water animals for 33 years. We have always focused on mink and beaver. I will continue this as long as I’m able. I have started reaching into the K9 world last year and will continue that as well.
Posted By: coalbank

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 09:51 PM

Like it is my job.

Attached picture Photo284.jpg
Posted By: nightlife

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 09:53 PM

I do just not like I used to but I catch a few of just about everything the area has to offer as well as more beaver then I really want to deal with to help my farmer friends, seems every creek, stream or river has a good population and even some farm ponds, just wish they were worth the effort
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 09:56 PM

[Linked Image]

I trap nuisance beaver for a few towns…and Iam on the NH F&G list for nuisance beaver trapping….So they hand my name out. I get paid to trap now. Chased mink,muskrat,otter,fisher ,beaver …when it was worth it. Just a hobby trapper. But can’t give up the beaver game ! I’ve shown what I’ve learned to a few youngsters…and that’s a lot of fun. I’ve always stayed in the water…except for fisher.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 10:00 PM

I enjoy trapping...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 10:02 PM

Every year for the last 50 years in one fashion or another. Now mostly beaver then mink. I will rough up the coon as needed, and hammer them when I can make a $ on them. Have made many friends I look forward to seeing every summer at the conventions!! Trapping is the glue for some long term friendships!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 10:03 PM

I wont go out of state this year. I wear out faster now but I am still at it.
Posted By: Actor

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 10:29 PM

Most certainly... not sure why some days when my back hurts so bad I want to cry. I trace back to my 4th great grandfather as far as trapping goes and he was a professional hunter/trapper. This will be my 76th years at it. I used to trap a lot of canines and still have that in my blood, but it hurts too much.

BUT... last Monday I got a call from one of the golf courses I trap each year. They had a momma and 3 pup red foxes that loved to tear up the greens on the course and wondered if I could help them do something about them. I told them I would give it some thought and call them back. After thinking about it for about an hour I got in the car and went to the course.

There is a narrow strip of woods that runs along where 3 of the greens are that they are having a problem. I spent about an hour walking the woods trying to find the den. I found what appeared to be 2 dens about 75 yards apart. The largest den is about 15 feet back in the woods and about 20 yards from the green that has been attacked the most. I had brought along a couple of #2 coils and 4 snares. The biggest joke is, although I had made the snares in 2013, I had only ever set but one for a coon, but never caught anything.

By the time I found the den I was wore out and couldn't find a good place to make a good dirt hole set. So, I decided to set a couple of snares. After walking about 75 yards looking for a good trail or path to set the snares, I couldn't find any. So, my experience and common sense told me if you can't find a place from the outside looking... go inside and look out. I went into where the den was and got down on one knee and pretended, I was a fox looking to go out to the green. Strangely enough I saw 2 avenues that looked good to me. It took a little additional blocking, but I made my first 2 snare sets for canine.

The first check: 1 red fox pup in the first set and the second set had closed down like something had brushed by it.

The second check: We had rain and wind during late afternoon before and messed up the loops. I made a dirt hole set close to snare sets inside the woods.

The third check: 2 small coons. One in snare and other in #2 at dirt hole. Pulled #2... reset other set with new snare.

The fourth check: 1 red fox pup in snare. I have now caught a fox in both of the snare sets, on paths that weren't there, but I saw them anyway.

So, to answer the question... yes, I am still a trapper and still trying new things when the call demands it.

Garry-
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 10:55 PM

I do part time. Sometimes I get pretty serious about it.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:02 PM

For sure not as much as did in the 70's but still set some every year. My mind says go for it and my body says you are gonna pay for this.
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:14 PM

just nuisance beavers for the town i work full time for and a few neighbors & friends. i'd love to run a coyote/fox line again but no way for the low prices paid.
Posted By: Osky

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:17 PM

I do. I shoot more than I trap. I’d do more while out shooting but due to Minnesotas policies most states I shoot in don’t reciprocate trapping, nor should they.

Osky
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:24 PM

I caught a coon today.

It's a lazy man that can't get his wife a second line.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:37 PM

Been doing it since I got the bug in 1961. I have lived the dream that some might think about doing one day.

Caught my first fox in 1965. Still trap every year but haven't trapped out of state for a few years due to my wifes' health.

Lots of rubber on the road since those early years. Trapping for 60 years now. What a ride it has been.
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:43 PM

Why would you be in this forum if you don’t trap?

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:45 PM

While I took a heap of taunting in my earlier days cause I wasn't a boozer, druggie, smoker, or a party on the weekend kinda dude, (I was usually trapping or hunting or fishing)....
Now I'm 53 years into being a trapper at this point...
with great knees
solid elbows
all major body organs clicking along at 100%
and a brain I keep tuned up with reading material every day.

People forget that old adage;
Garbage in
Garbage out.

If longevity is a life goal, it's better to have;
Healthy In
Healthy Out

I wanted to trap for 80-90 years as a young boy and I still have that goal so I treat the bodily engine and all its components as if they need to last a century.

The good don't die young.
They keep trapping while the rest of the herd is laid up, stove up, stacked up, crippled up, or dead.
shocked shocked

Blessings fellow trappers!
Mark
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

I'm in school from late August until late May and trap the season from November 1st until April 30th. I can run up to 150 rat traps if my amount of time after school allows it. I'm hoping to catch 300 rats and my first coyote this season.

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Been doing it since I got the bug in 1961. I have lived the dream that some might think about doing one day.

Caught my first fox in 1965. Still trap every year but haven't trapped out of state for a few years due to my wifes' health.

Lots of rubber on the road since those early years. Trapping for 60 years now. What a ride it has been.

That's pretty dang awesome!!
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:46 PM

Yes I trap year round. Someone ask why would you be on a trapping site if you didn’t trap, just read most of the posts and you will see they have nothing to do with trapping. SEC wins another title, housing market, I’ve been assaulted……. I bet some people on here ain’t set a trap in years.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/23/22 11:55 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It's a "trappers" forum and trappers do more than just trap.
When did we always have some who wonder why-o-why trappers are talking about stuff other than trapping on a trappers forum?
Of course trappers talk about MORE than trapping!
You suppose the old rendezvous men ONLY talked trapping?
Of course not.

People who only want to see what they want to see are becoming more common place and have no standing in a free and open society.
All of us must strive to remember any free society is built upon diversity, collaboration, and a HUGE dose of ethical tolerance.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: charles

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 12:20 AM

I don’t trap anymore. Too old and live in town now.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 12:40 AM

There is also a “Trapping Only” forum on this site. Why would you want two separate forums on the same site for trapping only? It’s okay to have former trappers on here or non-trappers that are just outdoors people. As Mark June said, it is doubtful that the Mountain Men of yore talked only trapping.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 12:41 AM

I trapped every season for 40 years or so. This is looking like the first year I won't set a trap. Last year I did a little County beaver work, but that's it. No money in it, I'm not beating my old bones up.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 12:50 AM

My grandpa was a full-time trapper and had given me a Victor long spring trap when I was 10. Didn't really know what I was doing but caught a muskrat with it. Caught my first coyote and fox the same year. I was 20 or 21. Really got into live snaring coyotes in my 30s. Now in my 40s with kids I only get to trap a week or two out of the year. Last year I caught five coyotes, 18 coons, and 2 grinners.

Ol dad
Posted By: Budzmtn

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 12:51 AM

This fall will be my first season, I’m on here trying to gain as much knowledge as possible. Meet new, like minded people, interact in an adult and respectful way. Might even get my nerve up and go to the Md. Convention in Sharpsburg. We haven’t seen any little turkeys on our place in Pa. for years. I’ve seen coyote tracks in the snow hunting. Coon tracks in our creeks and puddles on the logging roads. I think it’s time to balance the predator and prey scales a little.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:06 AM

I'm 65 now and have been fur trapping since I was about 13-14 years old. Longer if you consider trapping barn rats and mice since I was about 7-8. Missed a lot of college classes trapping in the late 70's but man, wasn't it neat filling up my (20 gallon) gas tank for what one XL nutria sold for?

Joined the Peace Corps in '83 and got the chance to still do a little trapping in Ecuador's amazon jungle during those two years. From '85 until the present have focused mainly on beaver although I figured out how to turn beaver carcasses into bobcat and civet pelts too, which has been a lot of fun. I've had three 500 plus beaver seasons over the years....and hope there is still another one left in me before I hang things up...or the state of Oregon makes me hang up my beaver traps. A threat all of us trappers have hanging over us.

So I say get after while you still can.

Good excuse to show a picture from 1984...taken 25 kilometers south of the equator in Ecuador's amazon jungle. A nuisance ocelot that was killing a homesteaders chicken flock.

[Linked Image]

I
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:09 AM

I trap, I also try to get as many other people as I can to trap.
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:11 AM

Not anymore.....
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:24 AM

When deer and duck seasons are over I set a few traps on the weekends. I don't fight the weather anymore.
Posted By: cattails

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:27 AM

Like my grandson says.... We're trappers aren't we Ahh..... I'm Ahh
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:27 AM

I shoot more than I trap, but I enjoy both.
I have property in both Mn and Wi so coyotes keep my interest these days.

WS
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:29 AM

Have slowed down some but only missed two seasons since 1964 (spent two winters in South Vietnam).
Have been fortunate to trap in several states and spent 15 years at the FTA Trappers College as an instructor.
Roy
Posted By: super cub

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:34 AM

I trap coyotes for 2 1/2 months and go as hard as my old body can go. I run around 150 sets. Trap my 5 cats in December and January
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:37 AM

I have trapped since the early 1960s for everything Wisconsin has roaming its woods and Waters except for Wolf. Still love seeing a muskrat floating in a trap and won't give trapping up until I am no longer able to do it.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Muskratwalt
won't give trapping up until I am no longer able to do it.

Agree.
Posted By: bowhunterks

I set for coyote and cats also run a water line for coon.
Set for beaver and rats when I can find some.
Posted By: curtisd

i started late. retired december 1 2012. my first traps were in the ground december 2 early morning.

our season starts second monday in november and ends last day february. since then never been a morning i havent been checking traps during our season. most mornings its deer hunting then checking.

i average 100 miles per week on my side by side.

cant wait for november .
Posted By: GoGitter

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:46 AM

I trap beaver every day November through February. I love being in the swamp!
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
When did we always have some who wonder why-o-why trappers are talking about stuff other than trapping on a trappers forum?
Of course not.

People who only want to see what they want to see are becoming more common place and have no standing in a free and open society.
All of us must strive to remember any free society is built upon diversity, collaboration, and a HUGE dose of ethical tolerance.

Blessings,
Mark

I didn’t say they shouldn’t or couldn’t talk about it , I was merely answering why someone would be on a trapping site that doesn’t trap. As it turns out there are a few on here that do not trap.You can discuss whatever the rules allow. I will stand by my original statement .
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:57 AM

Nowadays Low impact nuisance trapping to help others
In season I trap Beaver , otter and Fishers
Hopefully this year a bobcat

The Stroke I had did its damage
Posted By: run

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 02:05 AM

Of course not.

Blessings,
Mark

Thank you, mark June.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 02:06 AM

As I ripen, I am slowing down. Used to run multi day long lines in Wy and Mt, then. come home to Ks and finish out the winter. Coyotes are my first love, but since the yote prices have joined the rest of them in the toilet, I am laying up a little more every year. Barely scratched the itch last year. Knew ahead of season that my kind of yotes here in NE Ks were gonna suck, so I did very little last season. First season I really didn't catch much since coming home from nam and the service in 1969. But will still scratch that itch again, would really like to go out of state again, while I am still able. Mind says yes, but body resists, especially after a few days on the line! lol
Posted By: bandy

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 02:14 AM

I trap every season most years is all season the last 2 years I cut way back to finish our house remodel. This season it's going to be back to the hole season hopefully I will get to run a water line in the canoe. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 02:25 AM

Have every year since early 70s. Last couple of years just set a few because of age and fur prices. This year I have not made the decision because gas prices now have to be considered. May just trap the opossum that visit my bird feeding area most warmer nights.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 02:36 AM

I trap…just not to the extent that I used to. Extreme long lining is likely over for me. I still have all the equipment and could at a moment’s notice but the current market doesn’t offer any motivation. I find myself doing less and less fur trapping and more and more damage control. I set fur traps anymore because it’s in my blood…I feel like I have to.

However, I will say this…damage trapping has made me a better trapper! You slow down and start to smell the roses so to speak. You really start to focus on the little things. I call it micro trapping. It’s still a numbers game but the goal is zero.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by LT GREY

Well let's take wissmiss (Nancy) for example. She may not trap but this site better for her being here.

I'm not sure if I'm a trapper or not anymore, we'll see what the market does. I'm not selling all my traps just yet. wink
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 02:58 AM

Full time ADC work, year-round contract, mostly feral wild hogs, some coyote and other work. Was 73 on my last birthday and need to slow down. The high heat and humidity hurts me more now a days than it used to. Have had both shoulders wrecked and surgically repaired. Just can't handle the heavy lifting, dragging, long hours, etc. like when I was younger, but still love the work and being outdoors.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 03:21 AM

To paraphrase Harry S Truman "Some questions don't deserve an answer"
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 03:31 AM

I run a short line every year. 10-15 coon sets with my kids and a dozen or so predator sets. This year I’m going to use some vacation time at work at set all my traps for a week and a half (30 dry land sets)
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 03:44 AM

Around about 45 years now.
Last year was my shortest season.
2 rounds of pneumonia and hip surgery S L O W E D me down. Gonna give it a try this season again.
Never was really good at it but I have fun.
just. .
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 05:09 AM

I trap. The last two years we had another baby each Spring. Trapping was still manageable with 6 kids. But once #7 came it was tough and then #8! I’m planning on trapping hard this year to make up for the last 2 winters, but as the kids get older they want to ice fish more.
So I’ll try juggling the trapping and ice fishing this year and see how it goes.
Everyone wants Dad all at once it seems. Lol
Posted By: Deerkiller

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 05:35 AM

I started out packing my granddads equipment for him after he had a heart attack when I was 7 or 8 that was over 45 years ago now. He taught me how to catch gray fox. As I got older I trapped beaver along the Mississippi River for timber companies. I loved trapping the Mississippi. I at one time I run few hundred coon traps along with otter and beaver. I remember getting $10 per coon for the meat. Few years ago I moved to Montana and have not trapped here yet. I have not fig out cold weather trapping yet. I do kill a few coyotes each year calling them.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 09:58 AM

This will be my 48th straight season. I retired a couple years back and bought a UTV, retirement present to me. Partly based on an article by Major Boddicker encouraging enjoying your retirement years. I can’t justify the purchase other than enjoying life my last few years I’m able to get out there but most can’t justify 40,000 dollar boats either. My state has changed from when I started. In the 70’s and 80’s it was mink, rats, foxes now we’re a coyote, cat, beaver and otter state. I guess if you trap 50 years you see some changes. I’m afraid we’re a dying breed. I don’t see young ones starting much or interested at all in fur handling. Enjoy these forums but other internet outlets like Facebook and YouTube I’m afraid hurt us by some yahoo’s on there.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 10:59 AM

Usually all year!

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by clintp1971
Of course not.

Blessings,
Mark

I didn’t say they shouldn’t or couldn’t talk about it , I was merely answering why someone would be on a trapping site that doesn’t trap. As it turns out there are a few on here that do not trap.You can discuss whatever the rules allow. I will stand by my original statement .

Only my top line was aimed towards ya. I shoulda been a bit clearer clintp.

This site has always had a diversity of opinions cause people are diverse.
That's what makes it so awesome here at TMan central.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 11:34 AM

I've traps since I was 9-10 , have not miss a year since , plan on trapping till I can't, I trap everything can't pass up gas money , I also try to get as many people into trapping that I can ,
Posted By: jabNE

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 11:37 AM

Coyotes and mink here, some coon, some beaver. Winter guy, and been at it over 40 years.
Jim
Posted By: Northof50

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Nowadays Low impact nuisance trapping to help others
In season I trap Beaver , otter and Fishers
Hopefully this year a bobcat

The Stroke I had did its damage

There will be more motivation to get out -at-er -again with your recovery
I thought that big boat was your spring beaver cruise ship now

I look at cost recovery in my operations to continue trapping.
But at what cost do you put a good grouse flush when checking traps worth ?

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 11:48 AM

i got a freezer full of coyotes i caught last year in between covid and breaking my ankle. what do i do with them? putting them in an already full fur market pipeline seems pretty stupid. still considering a bonfire bring your own whiskey party. anybody got any other ideas? i havnt counted them but its more than i want to pay tanning on. havent seen to many outlets for tanned stuff either. here in ks coyotes are just something even city people dont find very interesting

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Started trapping in the mid 70's for mainly water critters. Dog eat dog world back then as the price of fur was quite high and the competition in some cases was shady if not downright criminal. Never made my livelyhood from it but sure did enjoy the time on the rivers and marshes to the present day.

Chris

I had been trapping for a while by the time the fur boom of the 70's and 80's happen .$40.00 Racoon and $ 70.00 Red Fox was nice .I started to drive in 1970 .Gas was .29 cents a gallon .When the oil embargo came about in 1974 it went to .50 to .60 cents .I bought a 1977 Chevy Monte Carlo for about $7500. Later on in 1985 I got a Ford Ranger 4WD for $10,500 .If you put in the time you could put up a pile of fur. And fur would more than pay your gas money that you used to run your line .BUT the down side was everybody wanted in on the action . And those that could not figure out how to catch fur turned to stealing your catch and your traps . .Competition for access to trapping property was at times down right bad for your health .It became more fun again from the mid 1990's until the most recent fur market downturn . I love trapping coon and fox ,mink and muskrat if there are any in my trapping areas .But $2.00 for a nice coon or fox does not motivate me to go out in the morning when it is 10 degrees and using $ 50.00 a week or more over and above what I normally buy in gas soon adds up . But AS SOME OTHERS HAVE SAID It is I my blood And I am thankful for the many positive memories it has given to me .Trapping was a grest hobby .But more important than that it taught me how to be an adult.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson

Bob I have some of the old Trapper magazines from the early 1980's that have your ads in them .Being from PA also I often seen you at the PTA conventions over the years . The 70's and 80's produced a lot of people that got into the trapping industry .The vast majority where good business men and good people .But they are some that have been trappers first and foremost . You say you lived the dream doing what you did over the years .I feel the same way .I tried to make my work life fit around and in to my lifestyle .Trapping and hunting was not what I did it was what made me who I am
Posted By: Mac

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 12:55 PM

Most seasons I get out and play around the trapline. In the 70s and 80s, I worked a lot harder at the game in those days. I actually mades some money then. Never a professional but was a very serious hobby trapper. Back then I would trap hard for a couple weeks then part time the remaining part of the season.
I still enjoy most of the game, but find that I cannot get around and cover the ground I could when I was in my 20s, 30s, and 40s.
Still get a kick out of the never ending learning.

Mac
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:07 PM

I'm a hobby trapper...it keeps me sane.
I sell a few furs that I tan, but it's a tough gig to make a buck on.
It's either in the blood or it isn't, I guess.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:08 PM

Hopefully till I can't anymore. I love winter trapping. Cold temps let you know you're alive and kicking. Nothing better than seeing a coyote bouncing around in your set in a snow covered scenery.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:12 PM

I do mostly nuisance work for myself and a few neighbors. A few years back, graduated from cages and DP's, to include body grips, CS, LS, etc. Mostly coons and rats but if it's causing trouble and I go after em, usually catch em. Now have the right tools for the job and know how to use em. I'm also the only guy I know around these parts what traps varmints that actually buys a trapping license each year.

But while I came here to learn, stayed for the other knowledge. T-man one of the best sources of information and opinion from a wide spectrum of seriously squared away folks that make the country work.

Posted By: Lugnut

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:12 PM

I do.
Posted By: ohiosnareman

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:14 PM

Well count me in the size 48 coat and size 4 hat crowd . Been at it since 1951 . Don't know how to stop . Just did a small beaver job last week . I do not like the heat ,my size 4hat off to you Southern guys, it wears on my 80 year old body . Disclaimer ,I won't be 80 for 8 more days . Plan on trapping till It just isn't possible anymore . My trapping partner has thrown in the towel . He is 83 and is not able to get around well . I hope to get him out for some ride alongs this year if he is able . Seen a lot of changes around here in the last 70 years . There use to be muskrat in every little wet spot .Now there are not nearly as many . We had few beaver and no coyote or otter back in the day . Now they are common in my area ,and we are even getting some bobcat sightings now . We even have some fisher moving in not far from me . Would have never of thought it when I was younger . The gear has changed since I started, there were no DP's or even conibears when I first started .We were not allowed snares . now I use them all . Always learning new things . A lot of it from this site . So to answer to OP's question yep I trap .

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:16 PM

So, should I burn those coyote skins, or somebody got a suggestion?
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:39 PM

I have not missed a season in 52 Years - I do however understand the frustrations of the new trapper. I'll trap more when fur and gland prices higher. When low prices I fish and hunt more, so all is good.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 01:42 PM

theres a lot more trap than whats on here shoot trap poison run over lot of problems every where hard to find some one that dont have a story to tell or several even read a while back of guys shooting deer and leaving them lay doing a lot of damage talked to guys in several states yes people trap and a lot more than use to
Posted By: hippie

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 02:58 PM

When I trap I "really" trap, but don't when fur isn't worth it.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 03:08 PM

Still at it. Started in ‘81. Lots of good years on coyotes and Cats. Nowadays, me and the Wife, mainly chasing the Spots.
Posted By: wytex

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 04:36 PM

Spouse and I work for a rancher part time and we trap his land, mostly bobcats and coyotes. Nice to have thousands of acres to trap without worry.
We've gotten more serious about it last few years.
I started back in 1982 I think down in Texas, moved to Wyoming 35 years ago and started up here about 15 years ago or so.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 04:42 PM

What is “really trap” mean?
For fur, no.
For $$$, yes.
From December - August there are sets in the ground. Occasionally some in September if a landowner has an issue with something.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

I know you don't want to "dump them on a flooded market" but I would give them to the local 4H to sell or do with what they want, maybe a tanning project with materials bought from selling some of the hides

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 05:42 PM

I think I’m gonna have mine tanned this year. Maybe find a market for them that way, or make some garments or a blanket. I definitely won’t be skinning any coyotes that are sub-par though

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 05:47 PM

I wont skin any I catch this year. If there is a 4h group that wants to tan some furs as a project I will send them some.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 07:07 PM

I trap cause I can't find anything else that gives me such enjoyment.----Those coyotes in the freezer I don't know---I guess I was lucky and found a buyer for mine----dumped a freezer full of beaver last summer there isn't any interest in pale beaver
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 07:37 PM

Sometimes my 9 and 12 year old let me tag along with them as long as I don't get in their way or slow them down.
Posted By: huntinlandscaper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 09:44 PM

I have set AT LEAST a small line every season since 1995, when I was 14. By small I mean that some years it was a few 1.5s , DPs, or cage traps out for only a few days to catch some nuisance coon or fox that happened to be around. Went after the red fox hard and caught good numbers and a few rare coyote in the early 2000's., but my passion and most time spent outdoors became archery and flintlock deer hunting. Last 10 years or so but more so the last few seasons I have become somewhat bored with whitetail hunting as I have killed 100+ whitetails using every legal weapon in 3 different states. My huge renewed interest was largely pushed by a greatly increased coyote population in my area. This renewed interest in trapping has lead to me setting alot of traps the past few seasons and catching good numbers of reds and coyotes. Due to gas prices and low fur money my line will be smaller and closer to home this season. Probably 30 to 40 traps on 3 main properties mainly targeting coyotes.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 09:59 PM

I do not trap other than groundhogs and coons in my garden, I am truly amazed by those who can set a trap and make an animal want to step on it! I read every post I can here except the pig castrator posts!
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 10:50 PM

I have slowed down on trapping the past few years, and have only set a few, but am considering running a marten and wolverine line this winter, as my oldest will be 13 in January, and last year he went on two 70ish mile snowmachine trips with me. Time for some real trips on a snow machine, 300 mile round trippers with at least two nights camped out. His body is getting big enough for it, can handle the cold now, he's wearing small bunny boots and men's cold weather gear, just have to be careful with his shoulders driving a snowmachine over the rough tundra, don't want to tear tendons.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 10:55 PM

Yes every year.. since I showed up at the N.C. convention..
Posted By: eedup

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 11:02 PM

Yes every year
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 11:11 PM

I do. Except for an ADC job here or there my fur trapping is just a hobby.

I intend to put some extra sets in this year for coon, skunks and possums just to try and help the ground nesting birds out.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/24/22 11:48 PM

I wont skin any I catch this year. If there is a 4h group that wants to tan some furs as a project I will send them some.

Must cost a bit to send a bunch of unskinned coyotes in the mail.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 12:05 AM

Caught 2 regular grinners and a black one with a white stripe this past week in the garden so yes I trap since the 60's.
Posted By: scheide

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 01:04 AM

Have not missed a season since I started in 1970.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 01:08 AM

Boco i got skins in the freezer to send right now if you know of some kids that would like to tan them

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 01:09 AM

Wonder what the law is on gifting them from my country to yours?
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 01:23 AM

I trap all varieties of fur. Raccoon has been my main focus. Don’t ask me why. Just an addiction.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 01:55 AM

Wonder what the law is on gifting them from my country to yours?

Getting some tanned fur across the border is bad enough,getting raw fur across would be a nightmare I imagine.
Borders are a big problem for the fur industry as a whole.
That is a nice gesture Danny There is money to be made there for someone.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 01:57 AM

I trapped for 35 years for a portion of my annual income until age 76 when I developed a balance and walking problem, I now provide advice to trapping questions if I think the advice is appropriate for the situation and/or question.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 01:58 AM

You give some great advice BC Tomcat.
Posted By: mud

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 02:07 AM

I still play a couple months each year. Moving to another state three years back helped light a fire to learn new ground and focus on new critters. I miss going hard on fox. Maybe this year I’ll try a bit more.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
You give some great advice BC Tomcat.

So do you sir. When a person has paid their bills trapping, it’s safe to say their advice is valuable

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 02:18 AM

Boco i got skins in the freezer to send right now if you know of some kids that would like to tan them

Danny, there's got to be trappers associations here in the US that would love to teach kids how to flesh and tan. I agree with Boco, it's very generous of you. I'm sure some club somewhere would appreciate those hides.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Fisher
I trap cause I can't find anything else that gives me such enjoyment.----Those coyotes in the freezer I don't know---I guess I was lucky and found a buyer for mine----dumped a freezer full of beaver last summer there isn't any interest in pale beaver

I don't think the strong hatter market cares much about color. Get them up to FHA.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 03:03 AM

I trap!
Posted By: gman

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 03:24 AM

Have long lined every year since 72. Mostly mink but now coyotes for the last 10 years or so. One year coon. Don't plan on stopping cuz of the prices.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 05:28 AM

I have been trapping since I was a boy. My first trapping rig was a Super-H.

I concentrated on the species we have in abundance here Lynx, Fox, beaver, mink, otter. I caught a few wolves, some marten, and occasional wolverine. I trapped for a living in the winter for many years. I bought a house with lynx fur one year.

After I started buying fur and built it up Alaska's largest raw fur dealer/tanned fur, it left me no time to trap myself. (Remember that if you ever decide you would like to buy fur.)

I got out of fur buying right before the market crashed again, and into buying moose antlers, and still do, but the same problem no time to run a proper trapline, not to mention the no money in fur anymore. I also run my small business. It cost a lot of money and hard work combined with other risk to be trapping in Alaska. I dont kill for fun, and no such thing as nuisance trapping, we are in a natural ecology here. No worries if a beaver floods anything.

I still snare a few beaver through the ice to eat for me and the dogs, but that's the extent of my trapping these days.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 06:08 AM

I started trapping and hound hunting as a kid. They outlawed both in the state I grew up in by the time I graduated high school. Mainly trapped beaver and otter. Moved to Idaho and trapped some beaver and otter off and on, not a lot of either locally and otter were pretty limited opportunities due to quotas. Then they opened up wolf trapping, got into that and I had never really trapped coyotes much, although I always wanted to do more. Got more serious on the coyotes to hone my canine trapping skills and started messing with trapping some marten. Now I still water trap off and on, although I really enjoy it. But trap some marten every winter and set out a canine line for wolves and coyotes. Canine trapping and wolf in particular is my real trapping passion. May be hit and miss on the other critters, but I won't ever stop trapping wolves and probably marten and coyote as long as I am able.
Posted By: coyote44

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 07:29 AM

I trap. I have 172 acres of my own and trap the neighboring properties totaling around 7 hundred acres
Posted By: Dirt

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 03:14 PM

Landfill. Tanning prices and the shipping will cost at least twice what they are probably worth. As fur prices drop tanning and shipping prices increase. Tanners don't tan for the love of the game.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 03:33 PM

Been trapping since I was 8 or 10 years old running rabbit boxes and selling to the Beagle guys. I've got a lot more invested now than I did then, lol. Don't plan on stopping anytime soon
Posted By: Castormound

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 04:31 PM

4 solid months in the winter and a month or so beaver trapping in the spring.
Posted By: willvalley

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 09:44 PM

Slowed down a bit during covid as I had less need for some critters. Found out over the last 3 months that was a big mistake. I do some crafting with all I catch and some that a couple of friends gifts me.

I need Coon, Skunk, Possum, Grey's, Reds, Mink, Beaver, Otter that I catch. Coyote I catch also but my friend gifts me several plus some of the others so I have no real need to set for them. All are used in my crafting. I have not sold any at fur sales other then some tanned nutria in several years.

I also trap mole and gopher year round. More money there then most fur market items. I do this on a couple large grass seed farm plus some residential. The farms give me over 10,000 acres of private land to trap for fur also.

Do not set big numbers of traps any more as I like me sleep. Try to limit skinning time for the wanted sleep time. Not lazy just wear out faster then I used to. Still love it.
Posted By: eric space

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 10:43 PM

I trap almost year round.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 10:51 PM

I’m a trapper.
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/25/22 11:46 PM

I've been trapping the last 55 years and it's by far my favorite hobby. I have trapped everything Wisconsin has to offer except wolves. I really enjoy trapping every furbearer each season and learning all the new techniques that trappers on this site have been generous enough to share. I retired from work on March 30th and am really looking forward to having every day to trap as long as I physically can. I'll probably trap worthless coyotes (because they need it) and some coon up until gun deer season and then switch to the water animals. I realize the fur markets sucks at this point but will trap since that's who I am.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 01:09 AM

Yep.
Also wear fur and teach trapping to kids.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 03:18 AM

I do for about a month a year. Coyotes, bobcats, coons and some beavers.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 03:33 AM

I trap a couple months a year for Coyotes, and bobcats mainly
Posted By: Joe1

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 01:25 PM

shouldnt be who traps should be who keeps putting fur on the market for the last several years thats why there is a lot more trappers in the off season than the fur season
Posted By: Kart29

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 01:45 PM

I started trapping when I was in junior high but got out of it when I got a car/job/girlfriend etc.

I started back into it again back in about 2005 - never really big - just short lines I can check on my way into work. Had an ADC license for a while and was trapping beaver for the county. But I had to stop doing that because I just didn't have the time with a full time job, a part-time job, volunteer work, and raising a family.

The last couple of years I've mostly just been dragging my sons out to catch some muskrats in the local ditches.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Joe1
shouldnt be who traps should be who keeps putting fur on the market for the last several years thats why there is a lot more trappers in the off season than the fur season

The future is ADC. No more free wildlife management. There is a reason the quality of the pelts that go into the market keeps falling.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 02:23 PM

I trap every year mostly coyotes now
Posted By: oldtrapper

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 02:48 PM

I started trapping muskrat and mink in 3rd. grade. 1976 or so... My father was a mink trapper. I think it's hereditary. Joined Trappeman almost 15 years ago. I haven't set a trap in a few years... Once a trapper always a trapper
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 03:40 PM

I trap every chance I can, think I would go crazy if I had to stop.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 05:15 PM

I trapped long lines for coon, coyotes, and mink till I was 33 then full seasons till three years ago. I could not walk last fall - bad back - went down hill fast. Got things fixed and this year I will be at it opening day.
I will have traps set for fur starting the first day for coyotes and fox
I am a nuisance trapper with the state of Illinois
I have trapped since I was little
I also teach the trapping class for the state of Illinois- I think I have done that about 30 years now.
Most of my trapping for this coming season will be before and after work. I'm getting older and slow so don't hit it like I used to but when I do I think I do a much better job of it than when I was younger.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 08:18 PM

I started trapping when i was 13 and getting ready for this year. Some years less than others i am planing for this year. I am 67 now.
Posted By: Strut10

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/26/22 11:31 PM

Started following my dad on a Thanksgiving holiday 'rat and coon line at about 4 years old. Was running my own sets with my brother when I was 6. Caught my first fox at 11 and LOVED trapping. Then starting in my early 20's the 60 and 70 hour weeks at work put a real pinch on things for about 35 years. But I'd still toss out a few sets when I got a chance. Hoping that the retirement bug is about to smile upon me. When it does.......... Imma be ALL back up in it again !!!!!!
Posted By: TexnKy

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/27/22 04:39 AM

Couple dozen each year on my farm to keep the yotes in check
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/28/22 02:33 PM

I'm new to the game, only been trapping for a couple three years. I start about Thanksgiving, and go till March 31. I don't catch much, and by season's end, I am just flat DONE! Every year about now, I start to get the itch, and fall makes it more itchy, lol. This season I'm going to target coon, coyotes, beaver, and the occasional otter, badger, and skunk. Started putting up some fur late last season, and feel like I have a good grasp on that and will continue to do so. Can't say enough how this site, and those on it have helped me, and in my limited experience I try to do so for others. Thanks to ALL on here!
Posted By: Clemke

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/28/22 02:37 PM

I did last year for the first time and this time of year keep my family’s garden safe from critters and a lilttle bit of animal damage control.
Posted By: waggler

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/28/22 02:45 PM

Last year was the first year I didn't trap since I don't know when.
Hope to trap fur this year though.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/28/22 08:49 PM

I trapped until health issues caught up with me, I retired a couple years ago from trapping.

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/28/22 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I trapped until health issues caught up with me, I retired a couple years ago from trapping.

I enjoyed your famous blue bucket set when you trapped.
Posted By: Sharkhunter

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/28/22 10:30 PM

Who me ! Can hardly wait for this deer hunting thing to get over with so I can get to working on them again.

Attached picture 29E3010B-D98D-4182-888C-9E57A11A0E7B.jpeg
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/29/22 04:59 AM

Trapped heavily for years when I was seriously rabbit hunting. Trapped my farm and farms that I hunted. Lost my dad and no longer rabbit hunt. Still catch around 20 coyotes a year. When I start hearing too many on my place and some friends that I trapped there place for years needs me, I will trap. March and April are the months that I'm most efficient. All fox and cats are incidentals and get released.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: How many of you on this Forum really trap - 07/29/22 05:02 AM

Trapped all through middle school, highschool, and college. Bought my first truck with coon skins and coyote ears.
Only run about 10 traps for coyotes a year now for fun. Never was a good trapper, but I enjoy it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums