Home

Need Herbicide recomendation

Posted By: beeman

Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 12:56 PM

I have used glyphosate (Round Up) for many years to control weeds and grasses around my buildings and on my rock drive. It works good for a month or so and then a new batch of weeds or grass emerge.

What do you guys use to control weeds and grass throughout the summer without breaking the bank?

Thanks
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 01:14 PM

Nothing will keep weeds/grass gone all summer unless you use a ground sterilizer. Pramitol is first thing that comes to mind
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 01:26 PM

I switched to (rm43) dont know if it will sterilize the ground but i really like it ,mostly because of very low smell. thinking its 40% or higher in glyphosate.
Posted By: KB64

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by logger coffey
I switched to (rm43) dont know if it will sterilize the ground but i really like it ,mostly because of very low smell. thinking its 40% or higher in glyphosate.

I'm thinking it has about .75% Imazapyr (Arsenal AC) which has some soil activity and gives a little longer residual control.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 01:32 PM

I've used Sahara and Peramatol. In years with lots of rain might need second application
Posted By: danvee

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 01:54 PM

I use a product called Resolute it is a preemergent thus does not let the seed germinate. It will not kill growing weeds, or plants but does not let any new seed germinate. Works great, you do have to apply it before a rain or hose it down after applying but it works for several years. Its a powder that you mix with warm water and spray on. there is another similar product called Treflan that works the same way.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 02:06 PM

You need to kill with the glysophate and then use a pre-emergent. Then if you just use the pre-emergent every fall it’ll pretty much solve the problem.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 02:09 PM

Pramitol is a sterilization product that works, dual is a preemerge product that gives you some control we use it on corn fields, atrazine is a great product if you’re licensed to buy and use it, boron in heavy enough levels creates a toxicity level that prevents growth in small areas borax is a homeowner boron choice for large areas your looking for fertibor or solubor, stay away from treflan unless you want to be stained yellow for the rest of your life.

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 03:33 PM

Where do you guys buy your Pramitol? What should I expect to pay?
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 03:54 PM

If not worried about anyone....... straight atz will keep things from growing for a couple of years. Not my recommendation but it does work. Have seen a few different firms that do this under there fences to keep the yards purty
Posted By: swamp

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 04:10 PM

Round up plus prodiamine is fantastic combination. It will give you a good year and then some. You can purchase it mixed under the trade name Produece. Much cheaper to purchase round up and prodiamine separately and mix it yourself. It does have a tendency to leach a little. If you spray a six inch ring around a tree, you will get 10 inches of dead. Good luck !!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 04:16 PM

Preen is a pre-emergent that seems to work pretty good preventing grass or anything from coming back after tilling the soil. I use in in my garden quite often.
Posted By: KB64

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
Pramitol is a sterilization product that works, dual is a preemerge product that gives you some control we use it on corn fields, atrazine is a great product if you’re licensed to buy and use it, boron in heavy enough levels creates a toxicity level that prevents growth in small areas borax is a homeowner boron choice for large areas your looking for fertibor or solubor, stay away from treflan unless you want to be stained yellow for the rest of your life.

And Pendimethalin (Prowl) for turning something yellow.. When I worked in lawn care during college, we had another tech not post notice and turned a white German Shepard chartreuse. Can't let them on the lawn before it dries.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 08:15 PM

In your driveway not to break the bank you could use salt water. Cheap rock salt mixed in hot water will kill and keep weeds from growing

Atrazine is the best weed killer pre-emirgent we've ever used on the farm.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/25/22 08:17 PM

There is a granular Round-up that goes on bricks etc and it is good for 3 years.

one word of advise is don't use the leaf blower or lawn mower with the blades engaged over it = or surprise dead grass where you dont want it
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/26/22 01:20 AM

Need a residual added to the Glyphosate. Glyphosate kills on contact, a residual will prevent further germination for a period of time. Atrazine is common. I like Valor, it will provide a month of weed free at a 3 oz rate. Use these products as label recommends and they’re safe.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/26/22 03:11 AM

There are a lot of tank mixes we call them that combine glysophate with more systemic products. Glysophate kills on contact and typically is gone in 3 days. The systemics mainly last about 6 weeks in our climate and moisture here in WI. Just make sure your secondary or mix product does grasses and deciduous plants. You could do a late glysophate in the fall after Labor Day while the live plants are still growing rapidly. Most products work best when plants are 4 inches in growth or less. The fall application really helps for when you do the spring with the mix you have less right out of the shoot.

Bryce
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/26/22 05:47 AM

I am very interested in this discussion. I have quite a few areas that would benefit from the suggested longer lasting results, and less work for me. I have a lot of experience spraying various herbicides and fungicides, and pesticides. For many years I have simplified and am not familiar with these new to me products.

What are the runoff and translocation risks with these products.

Best wishes.
Posted By: huntcook

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/26/22 11:27 AM

Beeman are you a bee person with bee hives just asking.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/26/22 11:44 AM

I spray the fences with Pronto Big and Tuff (41% glyphosate) once a year, kills everything until the next year

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/26/22 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by huntcook
Beeman are you a bee person with bee hives just asking.

No longer have hives. I became allergic to bee venom.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/26/22 11:40 PM

As far as finding pramitol any elevator or chemical dealer should be able to get it as far as price I haven’t asked and right now who knows.
Posted By: Kyle Krebs

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/27/22 02:29 AM

Get yourself a couple goats!!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/27/22 03:04 AM

If you choose the goats unless you tether them the fence you will need to build will cost many times more than any chemical method you choose. Pulling by hand would be an option better than goats to me. Our son and daughter in law have two and we finally built them a separate pen with our pig panels. We ran them with the sheep for a couple years and they were out all the time. Living near a county road and a busy town road intersection we did not need a flock out on the highway.
We penned them near the garden and I feed them all the plants after I harvest. Right now they are chewing up the brocolli plants right down to the roots.
Bryce
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Need Herbicide recomendation - 07/27/22 03:32 AM

Roundup (Glysophate) is absorbed by green parts of the plant and stops photosynthesis. One of the great things about it is that you can spray it on the trunks or above the roots of trees and other woody plants and it won't hurt them as long as you don't get it on the leaves. The bad part of roundup is that it doesn't have any residual action and only works on the plants that were sprayed. Any seeds will sprout and you'll have new weeds.

Pramitol is the go to to if you want long term control. Up to a year following the recommendations on the label. There have been people reporting up to 5 years of control by applying it heavier than the label recommends. The problems with pramitol is that (1) it can move in the soil. I've used it to make a 6" wide strip along chain link fence and ended up with an 18" wide strip. Not terrible but it moves a bit. (2) erosion. Ground with no vegetation will erode. I've see photos of fence lines laying on the ground because the soil around the fence line was washed away. (3) you can't spray it around trees because it is absorbed by the roots. You can spray roundup right up to the trunk and not hurt the tree. Spray Pramitol under the leaf canopy and you'll kill the tree.

I really like Surflan. The only thing it does is stop seeds from germinating. It doesn't kill anything that's already sprouted. It's safe to spray on the ground around trees. I mix roundup with surflan. roundup kills what's growing now and the surflan stops seeds from sprouting. If you spray the mixture around a tree or even on the trunk, it doesn't hurt the tree. It binds to the soil so it doesn't move. It gives up to 12 months control. If you have a lot of rainfall, you may only get 6 months of control. Before round ready corn was a thing surflan was often used on corn as soon as the corn sprouted to prevent any weed competition. It didn't hurt the corn plants, just stopped weed seeds in the ground from sprouting.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums