Home

Annoyed with this 6.5 crap

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 02:56 AM

Idk what I'm more annoyed with when it comes to the 6.5 craze lately, the constant advertising hailing it as the best thing ever or eveyone and their uncle who has to to go off on a paragraph essay full of lame , trying to be offensive puns,on why the. 260 rem or 6.5x55 are just as good and they can't figure out why eveyone just dosent use that. Like geezzzz I don't even like to mention it when I go into a shop.
Was in the pawn shop last week and was asking the lady at the counter if they could order me in a 6.5 grendel and do a lay away payment . Before I could say Gr... Had some guy snort from the other end of counter snort and start goin off on a rant about why .260 is better. Ends up the guy never own one of either smirk

That then I was at the range shooting my .243 had a guy next to me ask what I was shooting and he started talking about his Creedmore and how good the BC was. I asked him what BC was and how far did he generally shoot guy says he don't shoot past 100yd most of the time and couldn't tell me how BC even made a difference when shooting. Was shooting 3" groups @100yd
Idk I just hope they hurry up and kill it already , getting to the point I can basically predict what's going to be in a comment section or what's going to come out of somones mouth to the point it's not even fun anymore. Had to unfollow a few pages like outdoor life on FB because that's all these ever on it it seems anymore
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:07 AM

There are numerous quarterbacks in the Football Hall of Fame. Nair one of them of the armchair variety.
Same goes with the shooting sports.
Ever hear about worrying about the old man who only has one gun vs the guy who owns a dozen guns?
Pick whatever you want, and work it up to meet your needs. You will become that ole man everyone should worry about.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:09 AM

I have 3 .243s and 1 6mm
I don't need a creed
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:23 AM

I got a 6 mm and a 270 Put the ballistics from a 270 next to a 6.5 and then tell me why I need a 6.5. Short action maybe ? Nah 130 grain pointed soft point federal will “ blow the lungs out “ as far as I can shoot here in Ky lol

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:28 AM

Here 270 out performs on all categories except recoil
https://www.sportsmans.com/6-5-creedmoor-vs-270-cartridges
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:29 AM

Question: How do you know a guy shot a coyote with a 6.5 Creedmore?

Answer: Don't worry he will tell you LOL.

I have a .25-07 and I don't need to back up.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:39 AM

I have a 6.5 creedmoor. It shoots nice, I put a heart lung shot on an antelope at 185 yards and it went bang-flop. It’s not the be all, end all, but it’s nice. Even after I got the 6.5 I still carried my old .270 more often than not though. Killed many mule deer and white tails with the .270, it has always done everything I asked of it within reason.

Truth is, probably 95% of guys that buy a gun based on things like ballistic coefficient are buying it because they think the capabilities of a certain caliber or gun is gonna make up for their lack of skill and practice.

The only reason even I have a 6.5 is I was in the gun store with my wife and I mentioned to her that I really liked a certain ruger M77 with the laminate stock and brushed stainless barrel that they had in stock. She bought it two days later and gave it to me for Valentine’s Day lol. Otherwise I’d have been happy to keep shooting my old .270
Posted By: Marty

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:41 AM

6.5 c works for me.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 04:40 AM

I'm wondering what coefficient has to do with it. A 140 6.5 projectile has the same coefficient no matter what 6.5 it is launched from even the 26 nosler. I built a creedmor that shoots lights out. I like it, it's fun to shoot but I don't hunt with it. Not because it won't do what it supposed to at reasonable ranges I just have other calibers I personally prefer. I believe however that if 6.5 makes you happy or curious go for it. I've never been around a grendal let us know how it does. I am kinda curious about the 6.8 now that you bring this up.
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 04:46 AM

I run a 6.5 Creedmoor with custom loads and I love the thing to death, I can shoot dimes at 100 yards and probably a 6" group at 600 yards which considering how often I actually go to the range is surprising. I shot my first antelope with a 6.5 Grendel at I think 200 yards and it dropped it on the spot with no issues. We also run a 22 Creedmoor for thermal hunting coyotes and another one for day hunting and they're both good very nice rifles. Also, have shot a 6.5 PRC quite a few times and love that too. To be entirely honest though, I don't care what gun I'm shooting because at the end of the day skill and experience beats out every other factor.
Posted By: Deerkiller

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 05:21 AM

I have started coyote hunt with a 6.5 creedMoor because that’s all the ammo I can find the last few years. I carry bigger gun coyote hunting because of the wolves where I live.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 05:37 AM

A 243 with 115gr bullets is a great 1k yard rifle, I like my 260 I had built before the Creedmoor was thought of. I really like 7mm08, 270, 3006.

At the ranges most people actually shoot sub 300 yards there's not a dimes wort of difference between them to me on deer. Results are all the same hole size fluctuates a little.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 07:32 AM

I remember back about 1980 when the 7mm/08 hit the scenes. It was the latest and greatest in the steel shooting scene. It’s still a great cartridge and looses nothing to the creedmore .
Posted By: foxpee

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 09:37 AM

7mm08 over the creed for me!
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 09:53 AM

I have slayed more critters with a 25-06 and 6mm rem. over anything. Personally 25-06 is my favorite caliber and probably always will be. I did pick up a little howa mini action in 6.5 grendel last year. It has been a fun little deer slayer as well. Only issue with it right now is ammo is more expensive than any other caliber I own. Between those three calibers I don’t see the need for me to get a creedmore. I don’t knock those who have them but I don’t think I need one.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 10:26 AM

nothing at all wrong with the 6.5 lineup, they have used the BC line as hype, yes BC is important, but it doesn't really amount to much till the range gets to 600 yards or beyond. however from 700 on out atmospheric conditions can affect the BC, a swing in Bar Pressure can actually change your BC. If your not shooting beyond 500 yards BC isn't that imporrtant.
Now for the 6.5 creed, fine little cartridge, nothing special unless your interested in punching paper and ringing gongs at 1k, too light in the pants in retained energy to take game at more than 500 yards of so, this is my opinion so don't need 40 posts saying somebody took deer, elk, antelope at XXX yards. I have a creed, shoots well, good deer round but is nothing compared to my 6.5 gibbs. I also like the grendel for deer hunting, deer can't seem to tell the difference between them.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
I'm wondering what coefficient has to do with it. A 140 6.5 projectile has the same coefficient no matter what 6.5 it is launched from even the 26 nosler. I built a creedmor that shoots lights out. I like it, it's fun to shoot but I don't hunt with it. Not because it won't do what it supposed to at reasonable ranges I just have other calibers I personally prefer. I believe however that if 6.5 makes you happy or curious go for it. I've never been around a grendal let us know how it does. I am kinda curious about the 6.8 now that you bring this up.

Got a Grendel in a little 10.5" AR pistol ( btw anyone know the longest pistol barrel you can put on an AR pistol?). To me the grendel makes perfect sense for the AR and I wish I got half the fame as the Creedmore. I mean seriously. That little sucker will down right just out preform most other cartridges ( excluding wild cats / semi wild cats) on the ar platform without going up to the AR10.

The Creedmore....egh I like it's concept for what I do. But for most guys who shoot 20rd a year and are blasting Bambi @ 100yd over a food plot, I honestly don't think all it's pro will mean diddly.
Now for guys shooting 50+ rounds a session who don't want to get their shoulder beat up, smaller people like my self, people who shoot where a high BC bullet will actually make a difference or what I'm seeing more and more of us peoel who would like similar performance to the .260 or 6.5x55 and simply can't find one off the shelf ( let's be honest who is selling either of those calibers for the same price you can get a 6.5 off the shelf ?) Then yeah makes alot most sense.

And on a side note . Been talking to alot of guys on accurate shooter who do competition and I'll ask them how they feel when someone says " the 6.5 Creedmore was designed for punching paper " lot of them guys just think that's funny. Then again most of them are shooting .284 shehane's and the like that are extremely specalized for that role so there's that's..

Anyway not really for or against the Creedmore just both sides are getting old

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960
nothing at all wrong with the 6.5 lineup, they have used the BC line as hype, yes BC is important, but it doesn't really amount to much till the range gets to 600 yards or beyond. however from 700 on out atmospheric conditions can affect the BC, a swing in Bar Pressure can actually change your BC. If your not shooting beyond 500 yards BC isn't that imporrtant.
Now for the 6.5 creed, fine little cartridge, nothing special unless your interested in punching paper and ringing gongs at 1k, too light in the pants in retained energy to take game at more than 500 yards of so, this is my opinion so don't need 40 posts saying somebody took deer, elk, antelope at XXX yards. I have a creed, shoots well, good deer round but is nothing compared to my 6.5 gibbs. I also like the grendel for deer hunting, deer can't seem to tell the difference between them.

Mind talking a little about you 6.5 Gibbs ? Don't think I've heard of that before
Posted By: bandy

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 10:50 AM

7mm 08 is my choice with reloads it's a 300yrd gun all day long.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 10:58 AM

Hey Wolfdog!

Wanna hear about my 6.5 Creedmore????

$220 in it, rifle AND scope.
Both NEW.

First time shooting it, right in out of box.

[Linked Image]

Gun was $179 after $75 rebate and scope was a discontinued Thompson Center 4X ML scope I picked up for $39.
Have since added lighter Win Model 70 trigger spring and decent scope.

Magic round?
Nope, but cheap, accurate beater I use when I don't want to.carry/ travel with something nice.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 11:27 AM

coonhunters say "when the tailgate drops ( hounds get released) the $#@%^&* stops

havn't heard it in a while but used to hear "when I was a kid dad would give me 3 bullets. I had to bring home 3 rabbits. I can shoot rabbits on the run with 22 shorts" When I would get one of them to go hunting it was always "well I am out of practice and or my eyes are not so good anymore"

Growing up in CO 3-400 yard shots were pretty common. A favorite mule deer tactic is to get on top a ridge whose sides are covered in pinon and cedar. walk down the ridge, staying on top, tossing a big rock over the side every hundred yards or so. Bedded up deer will run down the hill and up the hill on the other side. They go about half or 3/4 ways up then stop and look back. I learned to shoot them by sitting down and bracing my elbows on my knees. Even from that position, 3-400 yard cross canyon shot you need to shoot careful. Takes practice. We never knew how lucky we were to have all those thousands of acres to hunt and shoot on.

Here in KS finding a place to shoot a thousand yards aint easy. I know from experience all kinds of stuff happens when you shoot that far. Starting with wind. It dont take much to move a bullet. At that distance it moves impact a lot. Wind speed is never constant. A different day will change how high you hold also.

Reminds me of, " when I was a kid dad would give me 3 bullets".....
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 11:31 AM

1st World problems laugh
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 11:40 AM

Its all marketing, this post is proof , Free marketing.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 12:41 PM

6.5 Creedmoor?

I thought 6.5 PRC was the new thing. The Creedmoor's big brother.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
6.5 Creedmoor?

I thought 6.5 PRC was the new thing. The Creedmoor's big brother.

Nope 6.5 RPM now.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 01:16 PM

this will pass to somthing new I expect it to be .277 however aka 6.8mm

in the late 80s early 90s you had to have a 7mm/284 something or you weren't cool , every gun rag was 7mm

marketing has grown so much since then that we are just constantly assorted with products every waking hour of the day nearly.

solutions that are products

everything is a buy this or service or subscription

it is all just intended to part you from your cash or worse put you in hock.

you see the marketing in it and that is wise.
it is also frustrating

hang in there let it slide off your back
in everything ask why do I need this? better yet ,I need nothing but food and what I want and maybe some food or medicine! don't let marketing influence my want.

KISS you need food , fuel , powder lead and primer and tires for your car when you wear them out probably not whole lot else

I feel like Mark twain could have had a great saying about marketing as he did about news papers then again since papers were the marketing arm of the day I think he did say it
if you don't read the paper you are uniformed if you read the paper you are miss informed.
even then you could see the marketing spin to some things I am sure.

want a fun game "market your worst attribute " you pick anything and think about the cons you see then how the marketing would sound for those cons sold as pros

once you see how nearly every marketer is doing just that you see through even more marketing hype.
Posted By: Dragger

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 01:17 PM

My 6.5 Creedmoor will shoot around corners. It's just that amazing!

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 01:23 PM

Green County you need gas and oil or you won't be able to wear those tires out. wink

Food water and shelter. I add a way to defend those resources and all it takes to obtain said resources are all that's needed. Weather that's a job to make cash or the skills to produce it yourself.

Then we get into comforts like indoor plumbing, electric, and even ac and refrigerators. Now your getting into splurging categories though.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 01:37 PM

Here we go again. Lol
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 01:41 PM

7MM-STW is my flat shooter less recoil gun.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 01:56 PM

My go to is a 270. Read about the 8mm mag necked down to 7 mm back in the 70’ s I think. It was a new wildcat then. Had a shooting times subscription. Sounded interesting.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Green County you need gas and oil or you won't be able to wear those tires out. wink

Food water and shelter. I add a way to defend those resources and all it takes to obtain said resources are all that's needed. Weather that's a job to make cash or the skills to produce it yourself.

Then we get into comforts like indoor plumbing, electric, and even ac and refrigerators. Now your getting into splurging categories though.

FUEL and food was included ,he has a house and guns and no it wasn't an exhaustive list.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 01:58 PM

If I want to hit something hard I like my 300 win mag. Old cartridge but still around for good reason
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 02:05 PM

Some years ago now Cornell Townsend Whelen wrote Only accurate guns are interesting .The nice thing about guns is they don't get jealous. So I take the approach that in order to maintain my interest in guns and shooting I need to have more than one gun . I have my favorites but anytime I am inclined too I have other options. I like the idea of taking a different one out to the range or using it to hunt

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

FUEL and food was included ,he has a house and guns and no it wasn't an exhaustive list.

I'm not sure anyone has guns. I figured most everyone just borrowed them when they wanted to shoot. Guns are just to dangerous to have in your home weather that home is a cave, tent or 7 bedroom 10 bathroom house. Guns are just scary unless at an approved range with trained and approved range officer.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 02:10 PM

I like the 6.5's and bought a 6.5 Creedmoor because I could get it in a platform I like. I would have purchased a 6.5 Swede or a 260 Rem IF there were rifle platforms available that I like. My only choice for a 260 would have been to rebarrel a SA caliber rifle.
I like the 6.5 CM and could care less about all of the ridiculous hype about it, and granted, yes it does get to be a bit much sick
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 02:17 PM

And I thought I liked to stir the pot , Wolfe you the man !
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 02:18 PM

I love my 6.5 cm, but I didn’t have another gun that was even close to it’s performance. I used a 30-30 for years with great success deer hunting. My blind now has several shooting opportunities to shoot 300+ yards. My kid started hunting with me and he shot a couple deer with my old Marlin 336 so I gave him the 30-30 and bought a 6.5 cm. It’s a great gun, but if I had a 243, 25-06, or 270, I wouldn’t have bought it. It is an amazingly precise gun. At 300 yards I can get very nice groups out of my blind, but my longest shot on a buck so far is only about 200 yards. Which is about how far I was confident with my old 30-30, lol….
Posted By: Dragger

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball

So how many 6.5 Creedmoor owners actually wear manbuns and are cross-dressers?

Rumor has it over 2/3s but most are still in the closet.

I hear guys that shoot "short mags" are short in other places?

Man forums are fun!
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:10 PM

6.5 has proven it's worth. So have many many others

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dragger

Man forums are fun!

I prefer female forms for fun but I'm working on not judging

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:12 PM

Is it bad I haven't heard even really tried yet ? Boy I could have this place ready to riot if I felt evil wink but I'm a mod now so I have to behave .

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dragger

Man forums are fun!

Can I hear one I haven't heard 30times in the last month lol ? laugh
Posted By: hippie

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:38 PM

Been a "264" fan for 50 years, guess I'm one of the originals ? laugh

I was just a young pup in the '60's and one of my uncles bought a model 70 in 264. At butcherings he would shoot up across the fields at rocks and such, I was hooked!

Guess ya know what my first new gun was?

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

Mind talking a little about you 6.5 Gibbs ? Don't think I've heard of that before

take a 270 win. case, neck to 6.5, move the shoulder forward about .125" and change it to 40 degrees, remove most of the body taper, runs a 140 200 fps faster than a 264 win. mag. with 9 gr.less powder
[Linked Image]

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 04:01 PM

Impressive thanks for the education. Do you think it is as good as a 6.5 Creedmoor?
Posted By: Elkguy

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 04:15 PM

I always wanted a 243ish sized rifle. I too thought the 6.5 creedmore was over-hyped. But after seeing how readily available ammo was and reading about well that bullet travels through the air I bought one in a browning x-bolt. Couldn’t be happier with it. It’s a tack driver that will hit the railroad tie plate at 500 yards every single time. And it’s bad medicine for any wolf that gets in front of it.
Posted By: K52

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 04:22 PM

All this is for is marketing so the companies have something new to sell. Remember when the Super Short magnums were the newest, best thing since a pocket on a shirt? Whole lotta it is wanting to be the cool kid, I’d venture to say P.O. Ackley did something years ago that will stand up to anything today.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I have 3 .243s and 1 6mm
I don't need a creed

My granddaughter has a 243. My wife shoots a 6MM. Both of them have killed some real nice deer with them. You don't need anything else. In fact, I shoot a 30-06 and have as many deer I've had to trail after I hit them as both of my ladies have with their 243 & 6MM.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by K52
All this is for is marketing so the companies have something new to sell. Remember when the Super Short magnums were the newest, best thing since a pocket on a shirt? Whole lotta it is wanting to be the cool kid, I’d venture to say P.O. Ackley did something years ago that will stand up to anything today.

don't forget the Newton Line! years ago somebody came up with a 6.5/250 savage, it is for all intensive purposes a 6.5 creed!

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 08:55 PM

Impressive thanks for the education. Do you think it is as good as a 6.5 Creedmoor?

well depends what you want to do with it, for hunting to 400 yards it makes no difference, for a deer rifle to 1100 yards, the extra 500 fps makes a huge difference.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 09:01 PM

well depends what you want to do with it, for hunting to 400 yards it makes no difference, for a deer rifle to 1100 yards, the extra 500 fps makes a huge difference.

I personally believe that extra 500 fps may not be needed in close but sure should make a difference on them dropping on the spot from shock. Also add to some blood shocked meat.

Sounds like a great round.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 09:19 PM

One thing about the newer rounds that is not talked about, is the lack of taper on the sides of the case, and how it affects reliability in feeding and especially extraction in bad conditions, like in cold weather. I have hunted with my 45-70, 30-30, 30-40 for many years in the Florida swamps and the Alaskan tundra. I'm not talking about walking to your deer stand or shooting bench, I'm talking about slogging through swamps to get to unhunted territory, or 100 mile or more snowmachine trips. Tapered, rimmed cases have never let me down, but rimless cases, especially newer designs have stuck in chambers on many occasions, especially when it gets cold. Anyone else noticed this?
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 09:19 PM

Yawn...
I've been using 6.5 x 55 and other.264 cartridges for years. They work for me.

30/06 works pretty good too.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

I got one in the Sendero, fast and flat. Real fast.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 09:33 PM

I've always took pride in getting as close to game as possible to make ethical shot. This new fangled (wait let's back the truck up another 1/4mile an shoot) style isn't for me. There's a few times I wish I could shoot farther but normally from biffing the first shot laugh
Posted By: RHuff

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 10:00 PM

Other than rimfires I own a .223 Cal., 243, 6.5 CM and a 35 Rem. All have there place and I dont worry too much about what the next big thing is. I like that the 243 and 6.5 CM can be loaded with a wide range of bullet weights for predators and White Tail which is what I hunt. Lots of cartridges come and go. Remember the 30 TC which was a parent cartridge for the 6.5 CM. Not worth getting wound up about. Drive what you want, Eat what you want or shoot what you want. just be happy in whatever you do. I have encountered lots of experts on which gun or round is best I just politely smile and move on lifes too short.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman

I got one in the Sendero, fast and flat. Real fast.

had a turnkey custom 7mm STW built in 1996, when I first got bit by the long range bug, I was still stuck at 500 yards, then I learned how to shoot!
Posted By: Striperfred

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/26/22 11:53 PM

Great thread! Love my creedmoore however for close in woods hunting the 143 eldx, which it really likes, is not optimal IMO,
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Striperfred
Great thread! Love my creedmoore however for close in woods hunting the 143 eldx, which it really likes, is not optimal IMO,

Why do you say that? I’m interested in your experience with the eldx. I have only shot a couple whitetail at relatively close range, but it has dropped both within 10 yards. They passed through so I never recovered the bullets but the damage was pretty much normal for any high powered rifle. Thanks
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:19 AM

I have nothing against the 6.5 Creedmoor. Don't own one and never shot one.
Just some humor for this thread.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:26 AM

I've got a 6.5 creedmoor. I was playing around on gunbroker and wound up winning it so that's why I got it. Same thing happened the next year and I wound up with a 270 Win that had a muzzle brake on it and I wind up taking that deer hunting. Maybe I'll take the creedmoor this year though. BTW I don't have a man bun and never will have.

Let talk about WSSM if you want to get into cartridges that were completely overblown. I know a couple guys that have 270 WSSM and they're the greatest caliber ever invented. I think ballistics on a regular 270 is almost the same as the WSSM. Of course right now they can't find ammo anywhere for the 270 WSSM. I found a few boxes on gunbroker but they're about $4.00 a round for basically a 270 Win.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:31 AM

The ELDx is just an a-max with a bit of change in the shape to give it a better BC, the amax was an excellent deer bullet as long as the impact velocity was below 3100 fps. the creed is an excellant cartridge, the high BC of the .264 diameter is what allows the bullet to remain supersonic to allow the 1k target shooting with the small capacity of the creed's case. but any high BC bullet drops and drifts 30% less than a bullet of lower BC. it can be done with any cartridge. I have shot some 284 bullets of 200 gr. that has a BC of around .84, at 3250 fps they are amazing!
Posted By: run

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:31 AM

Can you blow the lungs out of a deer with a 6.5 creedmor?

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:36 AM

only if you dont miss
Posted By: Striperfred

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:40 AM

Lost a deer on what I thought was a terminal neck shot, deer was down for 5 minutes, got up and ran of while I went to get the truck, (30 minutes), switched to Barnes 120 gr now for hunting deer. I don’t carry it to hunt, my daughter sort of claimed it, she has killed a couple buck with it since.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by run
Can you blow the lungs out of a deer with a 6.5 creedmor?

I did with my 270 grin

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 12:47 AM

And my 6 mm
Posted By: bandy

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 02:48 AM

What makes the gun good is not entirely the gun but the man loading the bullets.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Idk what I'm more annoyed with when it comes to the 6.5 craze lately, the constant advertising hailing it as the best thing ever or eveyone and their uncle who has to to go off on a paragraph essay full of lame , trying to be offensive puns,on why the. 260 rem or 6.5x55 are just as good and they can't figure out why eveyone just dosent use that. Like geezzzz I don't even like to mention it when I go into a shop.
Was in the pawn shop last week and was asking the lady at the counter if they could order me in a 6.5 grendel and do a lay away payment . Before I could say Gr... Had some guy snort from the other end of counter snort and start goin off on a rant about why .260 is better. Ends up the guy never own one of either smirk

That then I was at the range shooting my .243 had a guy next to me ask what I was shooting and he started talking about his Creedmore and how good the BC was. I asked him what BC was and how far did he generally shoot guy says he don't shoot past 100yd most of the time and couldn't tell me how BC even made a difference when shooting. Was shooting 3" groups @100yd
Idk I just hope they hurry up and kill it already , getting to the point I can basically predict what's going to be in a comment section or what's going to come out of somones mouth to the point it's not even fun anymore. Had to unfollow a few pages like outdoor life on FB because that's all these ever on it it seems anymore

I usually reply to snorters with something like, "I had planned on paying for this with my own money. You can keep your 2 cents."

But I'm friendly like that.

Shoot what you want to shoot. Hang what everyone else has to say.

Mike
Posted By: TexnKy

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 04:24 AM

Since I was 16, I’ve been shooting my Weatherby 7mm REM Mag I bought in Houston 28 years ago, (which I have taken white tail, hogs, and even black bear in NE Alberta with it.) but recently have had patterning issues with her and decided to make a change. I sprung for the Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor, and have been amazed with my groupings (admittingly off a lead sled), that can punch nails out to 400yds with a nostler 142g. I’m starting to believe this is powered by dragon tears and pixie dust…. Only explanation I can find…..
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 05:18 AM

x2
I grew up using a 270, and still love my 270 pump for timber hunting, but my long range rifle is a 7mm STW. Have a 260 for the wife that is a nice little gun and shoots nice. I'd have to spend some time counting to figure out how many guns I own, but I generally hunt with three centerfire rifles, 270, 7mm STW, and 45-70. The others get taken out occasionally, but most I have killed maybe one critter with, and/or loaned them to someone else to shoot something with, and I fall back on the same three favorites, preference depending on what type of hunting I plan on doing that day.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 05:28 AM

The ELDx is just an a-max with a bit of change in the shape to give it a better BC, the amax was an excellent deer bullet as long as the impact velocity was below 3100 fps. the creed is an excellant cartridge, the high BC of the .264 diameter is what allows the bullet to remain supersonic to allow the 1k target shooting with the small capacity of the creed's case. but any high BC bullet drops and drifts 30% less than a bullet of lower BC. it can be done with any cartridge. I have shot some 284 bullets of 200 gr. that has a BC of around .84, at 3250 fps they are amazing!

What 200 grainers were you using?
Posted By: mole

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 07:57 AM

my 760 in 30 - 06 is adequate

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2

What 200 grainers were you using?

wildcats
Posted By: charles

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 11:53 AM

I have rifles in many calibers and lengths, but not a 6.5. I have that slot pretty well bracketed with conventional firearms.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
I run a 6.5 Creedmoor with custom loads and I love the thing to death, I can shoot dimes at 100 yards and probably a 6" group at 600 yards which considering how often I actually go to the range is surprising. I shot my first antelope with a 6.5 Grendel at I think 200 yards and it dropped it on the spot with no issues. We also run a 22 Creedmoor for thermal hunting coyotes and another one for day hunting and they're both good very nice rifles. Also, have shot a 6.5 PRC quite a few times and love that too. To be entirely honest though, I don't care what gun I'm shooting because at the end of the day skill and experience beats out every other factor.

“ I run” I hear that term on here Wouldn’t it be easier to hit the target if you were sitting still ? What does that even mean ? Yea I might see running a belt thru an auto machine gun Or even “running “ a full clip thru a pistol
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
only if you dont miss

Creeders don't ever miss grin
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper

“ I run” I hear that term on here Wouldn’t it be easier to hit the target if you were sitting still ? What does that even mean ? Yea I might see running a belt thru an auto machine gun Or even “running “ a full clip thru a pistol

He "runs" or uses a 6.5 CM.......
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 03:20 PM

It's a "creed" man...he can run, skip, walk, anyway he wants...
It a creed !!!
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 03:35 PM

I have more rifles than most people on here have guns. It is not a matter of need, it is a matter of want. If I don't have it I want it. That being said I view most sub 30 cal guns as woodchuck guns. I have many of those. If the price is right, I will have one.

That being said I have many 30-06's, 338 wm, 340wby and 338 rum. I guess I can put the 300 wsm in there. Several others that fall in there somewhere. It comes down to what you are comfortable with. My go to is my 338 wm. When I put the crosshairs on something it dies. Not so much the cal but I just like that gun.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 03:47 PM

I hear it all the time about people banging steel at 1000 plus yds with a 6.5 Creedmoor. I dont know about the guys on here. I only know of two ranges in N.D. where you can shoot over 500 yds and there private and people can only shoot there during competitions. The most of the ranges are maybe 300 yds. I just have to laugh when I hear people talking about it. I have never read where a shooter made a bad shot at 1000 yds. Its always bang flop. Give me a break, I have shot rifles for over 55 yrs and can count the number of Deer or Elk I have shot over 500 yds on both hands and have a few fingers left.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 04:17 PM

For many years a Steyer in 6.5 Swede was my go to rifle for everything from rabbits to european wild boar and everything in between. Had to sell it and wish I could have kept it. Now I am gettin the bits together to build its replacement, but it will be a 6.5 Gibbs as I am partial to the 6.5 caliber and have a Grendel as well with at sensible ranges is a fine deer round with next to no recoil so it would make a nice one for younger hunters and for the weemin that want to deck a deer.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 04:44 PM

Don't have one but if i were younger i'd probably buy one for the same reason i bought a 25-06 a long time ago
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
I'm wondering what coefficient has to do with it. A 140 6.5 projectile has the same coefficient no matter what 6.5 it is launched from even the 26 nosler..............

Yes..............but no.

BC generally decreases (somewhat) as velocity decreases. BC basically equals Mass/Coefficcient of drag X cross sectional area of a projectile. Coeffiicient of drag is a separate formula of which velocity is a function, so..........

But, what-ev. The "invincible" Creed does nothing in 2022 that the 6.5x55 wasn't doing in 1896 and the .260 Rem wasn't doing for about the last 40 years. There is a bit of a magical happy place in the BC characteristics of the .264" diameter projectile. IMHO............. If you want invincible in a 6.5..............there are a whole SLEW of better platforms that DON'T require grown men to pull their hair up.

.264 Win Mag
6.5 STW
6.5x.300 Wby
6.5 PRC
6.5 RPM

Rumor had been that a larger, local gun shop had over-bought Creed.........rifles and ammo, both........and were facing being stuck with a ton over unsold overhead. So they ran a week-long special (I heard they had ad flyers in Starbucks) where any purchaser of a Creed rifle got two free 6-packs of White Claw. Inventory was gone by Tuesday afternoon.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 07:30 PM

I got the dvd creed for Christmas one year . Does that count? But I want to know why special forces snipers haven't jumped on the creed wagon if it's half as good as the owners
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 08:27 PM

Gotta remember the gun mag's come out every month and they gotta have SOMETHING to pimp!
Posted By: Marty

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 08:31 PM

the creedmoor does all I did with my 308 and really no recoil.

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
I got the dvd creed for Christmas one year . Does that count? But I want to know why special forces snipers haven't jumped on the creed wagon if it's half as good as the owners

SOCOM has been moving towards it since like 2018
[Linked Image]
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 09:01 PM

I don’t have a Creedmore probably never will unless someone needs money. I’ve got a 264 winmag that’s my go to. Plus about every caliber below and a bunch above it. I have several friends that have creeds and like them. I do reload for a couple of these guys. The main thing I can see is that this cartridge is designed to be very easy to achieve accuracy. Meaning the 5 of these guns that we have developed loads for have been incredibly easy. They are out of the box accurate and easy shooting. Never had to float, pillar bed or get to carried away with one. I’m not saying that I haven’t had tons of others calibers that haven’t been easy the creed is a short cut to easy. All that being said I’ll still pass. Just my experience
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 09:06 PM

In the depths of our most recent ammo drought, I looked hard at a 6.5 CM or a 7mm/08. Same rifles in each caliber on the local rack. I waited for respective ammo to show up, and I'd buy whichever was first. But impatience ruled, and I bought a .308 with 200 rounds 7.62x51 FMJ. Burned through that before any 6.5 CR showed up in town. Yesterday I found 12 different .308/7.62 loads in my local shop, 1 each 6.5 CR and 7mm/08 . Lesson I learned: current Mil ammo returned to shelves firstest and mostest, and will likely outlast the latest " hot" cartridges. I am curious to see how the Army's new 6.8 mm works out. Will it be called 6.8 NATO?
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Annoyed with this 6.5 crap - 07/27/22 09:34 PM

Just another new fad.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums