Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 07:58 PM

Gooooooooooooooooioooooooooogroeny
Posted By: Boco

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 08:07 PM

Thanks for the update.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 08:13 PM

Always nice to hear something positive on the fur market.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 08:19 PM

Curious he didn’t talk about coyotes, not a good thing.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 08:27 PM

Sounds like a .25 more per pelt to me....
Posted By: mike mason

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 08:44 PM

What does Walleyed say" Grony Rocks"!
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 08:49 PM

When he said otter may go up Wonder how much? What did they go for this past season? I can remember getting 70 dollars apiece a few years back.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Slipknot
When he said otter may go up Wonder how much? What did they go for this past season? I can remember getting 70 dollars apiece a few years back.

Would be nice to know.
Posted By: Bob

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 10:01 PM

My guess is he didn’t talk about coyotes because you can’t put a good spin on the phrase “pitch em in a ditch”
Posted By: 080808

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 10:02 PM

Unfortunately IMO Bob is correct.

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/26/22 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton

Would be nice to know.

This last FHA auction otter averaged just over $22 and only half sold. Hardly encouraging from where I sit.
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 12:23 AM

Thanks. I don't want to skin one for that.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 12:28 AM

prices are better, prices have improved, don't mean I will pay you more than your cost to produce
Posted By: bblwi

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 12:52 AM

If i wait until the fur covers my cost I may never trap again. I am thinking there are a lot of commercial grade coyotes in storage or in peoples hands, not unlike coons. It does sound like at least a couple of the species in my area will at least sell. I just have to determine when and what I trap. Inflation has not helped the fur market, recessions never have and if we have a general downward fur trend and politics as well we probably need to get used to this. We have been hearing this for almost a decade already but we just don't seem to hear as well as we should. The one thing I have learned is the fur I trap does not impact the market so I am not contributing to low fur prices i am just contributing to my own loss of liquidity.
I did some reviewing and I found the coons I sold in 2013-2014 that averaged $43. before commissions. I compared the prices received the last 3 years for the same grades, sizes and colors. The prices are about 1/10 to 1/15th of what they were then.
Bryce
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 01:18 AM

Inflation has not helped the fur market, recessions never have

Huh? what about the Carter years and into the Reagan years? Fur market was jumping. Only thing that was. Except gas prices and inflation
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Inflation has not helped the fur market, recessions never have

Huh? what about the Carter years and into the Reagan years? Fur market was jumping. Only thing that was. Except gas prices and inflation

I knew a lot of older guys when I was a kid who trapped to feed their families during the Great Depression. Could make better money trapping than they could working a job. The one fur back then that wasn't worth anything was bobcat, which has been the high dollar fur for most of my life.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 01:40 AM

Good pep talk

Originally Posted by danny clifton
prices are better, prices have improved, don't mean I will pay you more than your cost to produce

I'll be trapping for the love of trapping, not expecting to break even or make a profit on fur this going year!
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 01:54 AM

Groeny should get into politics.

Like Biden talking about record low unemployment, while every other economic indicator is in the toilet.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 03:05 PM

Not much substance there.

Some numbers always helps put the “looking better” babble in perspective.

How about using some last season section averages and throwing an expected increase/decrease percentage at it? A 10% increase on. $5 average means a heck of lot more than babbling about nothing.

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 03:16 PM

Be thankful he is telling you he will still buy some mediocre fur at all.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Be thankful he is telling you he will still buy some mediocre fur at all.

Why? I bet a lot of businesses would offer me a job for 50 cents an hour. I'd still be starving and broke. I should be thankful? crazy

There are symbiotic and parasitic relationships. I prefer not to be a host.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 04:49 PM

I know the fur market kinda sucks for sure-but at least a few items did sell through-re beavers-straight through. Yes they are work but pretty well everyone/state/province has them. Alot of us on here are getting older-we may not be able to wait out the fur market for it to get better. My take is I am going to trap for as long as I possibly can-probably not long lining etc.. but at least get out there and enjoy catching some fur while my body allows me to do it .I have a pile of muskrats on the sale that have not sold for 2 fur sales-am I going to trap rats again this fall-absolutely I am( cause it is a passion I have),and beavers,and some late season coon( only keeping the bigger skins) and I am going to give skunk trapping/skinning a try as well. Better yet I am excited about trying something new-have thrown away hundreds of skunks in my day but now they seem to be attracting buyers so I am going to give it a whirl.

If you are trying to get rich at this-you won't- but you certainly won't catch any fur if we don't trap. I am just going to get out there this fall and enjoy our wonderful outdoors everyway I can-have lost too many friends lately that have stated they will do this and that AFTER they retire. It 's not always about the money, but if we get a return of some sort of monetary value-to me that's just a bonus. Putting up your catch on those cold winter nights in the garage or shop is very enjoyable as well-which many of you fellow trappers already know.

Better than parking my plump arse in front of the TV each and every night as far as I am concerned

JMHO

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 06:46 PM

Well said MB!
Posted By: mike mason

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 08:09 PM

Beaver are one of the few animals I can still make money chasing. Market for fur, meat, skulls, tails, castor, oil sacs and feet.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 08:51 PM

Yea I heard that speech last year and right before his route to PA he says he isnt buying coon or mink.......I pretty much expected to give them to him anyhow before he declined taking them at all LOL.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 08:51 PM

I just bid a beaver job and got the Ok to start tommrow. $200.00 set up fee and $100.00 a beaver.
Nothing worse then trapping beaver In July with 90 deg temps and high humidity. Maybe a should have bid It a bit higher.
My grands sons are here from Alaska they are going to tote traps and cut brush. I hope. LOl
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 08:59 PM

Will sell only some species of raw fur this year. Others i'm going to tan

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/27/22 09:11 PM

Beaver will have much more value in the near future when people are scavenging.

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/28/22 02:15 AM

I might see if I can catch 500 again. Been catching just over 100 for the last several years.
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/28/22 03:33 AM

That's my plan to run rats this year and maybe catch the few beavers that we have around me, but other than that I may only catch a couple of yotes and tan them since I haven't caught one yet. I'd rather be running a trapline than staying inside and doing homework, that's for sure. Hopefully, I can experience the feeling of putting up some of my own furs this year.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/28/22 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
That's my plan to run rats this year and maybe catch the few beavers that we have around me, but other than that I may only catch a couple of yotes and tan them since I haven't caught one yet. I'd rather be running a trapline than staying inside and doing homework, that's for sure. Hopefully, I can experience the feeling of putting up some of my own furs this year.

Just make sure you get the homework done too. An outdoor education and an academic one go hand in hand wink
Posted By: walleyed

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/28/22 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Yea I heard that speech last year and right before his route to PA he says he isnt buying coon or mink.......I pretty much expected to give them to him anyhow before he declined taking them at all LOL.

This has happened twice on the Groeny
New York State Route leaving us with
a freezer of raw beaver to hang onto.

Hope it doesn't happen again.

w
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/28/22 02:07 PM

I sold one female otter(25 pounder)to Groeny for $22.00 green.
Posted By: waggler

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/28/22 02:50 PM

I just received a check yesterday from FH for two female DK/XDK marten, $31 each. I had forgotten all about these skins.
Didn't think that was too bad.
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/28/22 08:06 PM

I'll get it done but it will be really tough this year since I'd rather be out on the trapline.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: MARKET UPDATE! - 07/28/22 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
I just received a check yesterday from FH for two female DK/XDK marten, $31 each. I had forgotten all about these skins.
Didn't think that was too bad.

That is about what they brought in 1999, when the market sucked. Price of gas was about $1 a gallon $1.70 delivered. A new sno-go was $3600.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums