Home

Adirondack Brook Trout

Posted By: Squash

Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 04:36 PM

[Linked Image]
Another batch of ADK brook trout filets ready for the smoker.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 04:51 PM

omg-THAT LOOKS AMAZING!
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 05:10 PM

Squash they look awesome!

Do you season them before smoking?

What kind of wood do you use to smoke them?

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 05:15 PM

Yes, I brine them in kosher salt, brown sugar, onion and garlic powder, and some Cayenne pepper, for about 3 hours. Rinse let set in the fridge for about 8 hrs, then in the smoker for about 2-3 hours or when filet temp is around 140 F.

I have a Bradley smoker, use maple biscuits.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 05:16 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
[Linked Image]

Looks good.Heading to our camp near Stillwater this weekend.Planning on catching some of those. smile
Posted By: coop

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 06:16 PM

All natives?

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 06:43 PM

[quote=coop]All natives?[/quote

Some are and some probably aren’t. The wilderness lakes I Fish some have natural reproduction and some the state still stocks from the air.
But all are Adirondack heritage strain Brook trout.

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
[Linked Image]

Looks good.Heading to our camp near Stillwater this weekend.Planning on catching some of those. smile

Some of them came from the Stillwater area. Good luck, but with the warm weather, the brook trout bite is pretty slow now.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 07:22 PM

[quote=coop]All natives?[/quote

Some are and some probably aren’t. The wilderness lakes I Fish some have natural reproduction and some the state still stocks from the air.
But all are Adirondack heritage strain Brook trout.

That means you are fishing for fish whose ancestors where in those waters for a very long time That,s cool And they look tasty also .I deer hunted in the Adirondacks in 2000 .It was a really nice hunting trip Thanks for sharing your experience
Posted By: Mac

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 07:30 PM

Thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to try that.

Mac
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 08:16 PM

There aren't any fish better eating than brook trout. I could never catch enough of them to try smoking them. We wrap them in foil with butter pats and lemon pepper. When they're done, dip them in melted butter after you give them a few squirts of lemon. Wow!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 10:17 PM

Squash: I know a few "Deep Holes" up in the Adirondacks where they like to hide when its been dry and hot. grin Luckily,,one of them Holes is on my camp property.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/27/22 10:23 PM

Best tasting trout there is ..in my opinion. Well done Sir …wish I lived closer ,to try them out.
Posted By: coop

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/28/22 02:25 AM

In VA we had natives, stocked, and "holdovers"... stocked fish that made it thru a year in the wild. As they adapted to the natural stream or lake food their flesh turned the "pinkish" of natives vs. the pale color of pellet fed fish. The VA DNR turned out a few "strippers" too, 4-6 lb. fish they had stripped the eggs out of at the hatchery... trophy fish for VA.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/28/22 01:11 PM

I love brook trout. Unfortunately DEC has shifted their emphasis from stocking brookies to brown trout in many places. Sad !
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/28/22 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
I love brook trout. Unfortunately DEC has shifted their emphasis from stocking brookies to brown trout in many places. Sad !

Browns are fun to catch and a real pretty fish, but one of the poorest eating trout I've ever tried. Nothing like a brookie.

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/28/22 06:11 PM

That’s one of the reasons I try to concentrate my brook trout fishing to remote ADK lakes and ponds, many still have and are still stocked with heritage strain Brook Trout. Plus there is almost no pressure on the most remote lakes and ponds, due to float planes being prohibited in wilderness areas. The best lakes and ponds as expected are the hardest to get to.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/28/22 07:08 PM

That’s one of the reasons I try to concentrate my brook trout fishing to remote ADK lakes and ponds, many still have and are still stocked with heritage strain Brook Trout. Plus there is almost no pressure on the most remote lakes and ponds, due to float planes being prohibited in wilderness areas. The best lakes and ponds as expected are the hardest to get to.

My friend takes his Hornbeck canoe into those spots and has a blast!
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/29/22 08:23 AM

Beautiful!!! What did you catch them on? If you used flies, which ones?

Re: Adirondack Brook Trout - 07/29/22 09:26 AM

Most were caught using the traditional Adirondack method , trolling a Lake Clear Wabbler either trailing a worm or a streamer such as a wooly bugger, egg sucking leech, etc..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums