Home

Cigarette smell out of a house?

Posted By: Gary Benson

Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 02:40 PM

A fella that went to work for my boys is renting my house. Everyone swears he isn't smoking in the house but it still stinks like he is. Anything work to get the smell of smoke out of a house when he moves on?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 02:57 PM

steam clean the carpets , wash and paint walls , remove all window coverings and wash.

the smoke smell lingers as residue on surfaces , so a very thorough cleaning is how most apartments get turned over from one resident to the next with no major lingering smoke smell

good carpet cleaning and wall washing with TSP soaking any blinds in soapy water and cleaning may be enough

a little OdoBan wouldn't hurt
Posted By: Gun Nut

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 03:01 PM

gasoline and a match.

Gun Nut
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 03:03 PM

Also you should replace all the light switch and electrical outlet coverings the smoke really sticks behind those, learned that from a real estate friend
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 03:05 PM

Ionizer.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
Ionizer.

X2

This will work. Period.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 03:16 PM

My brother is a landlord and in these cases you ALWAYS have to repaint the entire interior as well. The nicotine permeates into everything. Check with your paint store about the proper paints and other chemicals necessary to remove nicotine.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 03:57 PM

I did a remodel on a house once where the whole family smoked and it was tear out carpet, drywall and new curtains. Even the wood work was permeated with the stuff and had have it scrubbed twice with chemical cleaners. I even had ozone machines in there for a week and it didnt help. Good luck and next renter that smoke you can deny them smoking in the residence and get a big deposit.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 04:00 PM

I was thinking skunk essence myself
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 04:47 PM

TSP the walls twice, repaint- rip out carpeting and clean the sub-floor and Kilz the sub-floor.
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 04:48 PM

Kiltz paint the walls and ceilings will help. My father bought a small home to use as a rental. It stunk so bad from the previous crazy woman who had like 50 cats in the house. We kiltz painted the sub flooring, studs, walls and ceilings. It worked! If it will remove cat stink it will remove cigarette odor.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gun Nut
gasoline and a match.

Gun Nut

Yep, start anew.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 06:16 PM

Ozone generator for lingering smell
Posted By: charles

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 06:34 PM

New bed linens, pillows, and mattresses. Especially pillows.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Ozone generator for lingering smell

X2
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 07:42 PM

Why tolerate such a problem?
Get rid of the guy before it goes on even longer.
Then clean and sanitize.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 07:51 PM

I hope you got one heck of a large security deposit. You're going to need it badly if you want to pay for all the paint, carpet, woodwork, drywall, outlet covets and cleaning supplies needed to rent to a non smoker, who won't tolerate that pervasive stench, in the future.

Keith
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 08:29 PM

ozone generator. Try to rent one of the big commercial ones. We used them in hotels when a guest smoked in a non-smoking room and they really worked.

If they've been in the house for a long time: extract the carpets and anything soft like furniture and put an ozone generator in the place for a couple of days. Move it around from room to room since ozone doesn't last in the air very long because the ozone molecule is broken down every time it does it's job breaking down the molecules that smell like smoke.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 09:04 PM

Kilz paint, floor too.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 10:25 PM

Just take up smoking then it wont bother you.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 10:35 PM

Synthetic shellac walls , ceilings , sub floor . Anything else is half a z z

Done many smoke damage houses
Posted By: Thundermoon

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/29/22 11:49 PM

Vinegar neutralizes the smell. It will smell like vinegar for a while but eventually the vinegar smell will go away. Then you can clean as usual with carpet cleaner etc
Posted By: Guss

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/30/22 01:26 AM

Smoking is a nasty habit to have.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/30/22 03:39 AM

Paint, paint and more paint. kilz works but if the smoker has been there a long time it will take several coats.

I've helped paint 2 houses that have had heavy smokers living there.
3,4 and maybe 5 coats in my parents house to stop the smoke residue from bleeding thru. Ceilings are the worst.

The 2nd house everything ,. drapes, carpet, furniture had to be disposed of. then the painting started.

just

Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Cigarette smell out of a house? - 07/30/22 05:33 AM

Kiiz is junk and more paint only re- wets the stain and odor bringing it back to the surface
© 2024 Trapperman Forums