Home

Monarch Caterpillar Chowing Down - Short Video

Posted By: AnthonyT

Monarch Caterpillar Chowing Down - Short Video - 07/30/22 12:19 AM

Cool video of a monarch butterfly caterpillar chowing down on a butterfly milkweed seed pod. They eat more than the leaves and are often seen eating the flowers or young seed pods. Amazing home much they can eat in a short amount of time.

Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Monarch Caterpillar Chowing Down - Short Video - 07/30/22 12:57 AM

We have milk weed growing around the garage for the
monarchs but not seeing any activity yet.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Monarch Caterpillar Chowing Down - Short Video - 07/30/22 01:19 AM

we have 2 Butterfly weeds that are in the garden around the house along with all the ones growing wild in prairie plantings. Those 2 are really nice specimens as they have no competition and they are mulched nicely.

Monarchs no doubt love Butterfly weed over Common Milkweed. Some years we have had to pick off all the caterpillars cuz they were destroying the 2 plants.
Picked 35 off the 2 plants in one day.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Monarch Caterpillar Chowing Down - Short Video - 07/30/22 04:14 PM

Monarch activity seems to down this year from the sighting reports I have been hearing. Butterflies in general seem a little low this year here in KY.

They do prefer butterfly weed later into the season, after common milkweed has flowered and starts going to seed. The leaves of butterfly milkweed stay palatable later into the season. Also, milkweeds that are off by themselves are prefered by females for egg laying which is why single plants in a landscape bed tend to get defoliated. I generally just let them eat them the plants - if they are well established they will come back no problem.
Posted By: jk

Re: Monarch Caterpillar Chowing Down - Short Video - 07/30/22 05:00 PM

"Picked 35 off the 2 plants in one day." Wow that is a record. For me last year I found 7 on one milkweed, that is my top score........jk
© 2024 Trapperman Forums