Home

Chain saw rip cutting

Posted By: AKAjust

Chain saw rip cutting - 07/31/22 07:56 PM

So whats the difference in cross cutting and rip cuting chain saw sharpening?
just
Posted By: Posco

Re: Chain saw rip cutting - 07/31/22 08:11 PM

The angle of attack on the cutter. You're looking at 10-12 degrees on a ripping chain where a crosscut chain is more like 30-35.

I bought four ripping chains for my saw when I set out to mill logs for my cabin. I was thinking I'd have two on hand while the other two were professionally sharpened at a shop. Didn't work out that way at all. I found myself sharpening a chain after a single pass on a thirty-six foot long log. You'll get good at sharpening chains when you're forced to.
Posted By: white17

Re: Chain saw rip cutting - 07/31/22 08:16 PM

36 feet !! I would have had a chiropractor at each end of the log !!

Re: Chain saw rip cutting - 07/31/22 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by white17
36 feet !! I would have had a chiropractor at each end of the log !!

I'm headed out there now. I'll get you pic.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Chain saw rip cutting - 07/31/22 08:24 PM

Keep in mind a ripping chain is only a 1/2 tooth wide per side. That keeps the wood "Spaggetti" from jamming up your bar and saw, but it makes dandy kindling.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Chain saw rip cutting - 07/31/22 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Keep in mind a ripping chain is only a 1/2 tooth wide per side. That keeps the wood "Spaggetti" from jamming up your bar and saw, but it makes dandy kindling.

I took some ripped cutting spreads for a sappy green pine put them in the oven on low to dry out and then soaked with hot wax and stuffed.into toilet paper cores. Cut a pice off an you have a nice fire starter.

Re: Chain saw rip cutting - 07/31/22 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by BigBob

I took some ripped cutting spreads for a sappy green pine put them in the oven on low to dry out and then soaked with hot wax and stuffed.into toilet paper cores. Cut a pice off an you have a nice fire starter.

I don't remember getting much of that, mostly just fine sawdust. I ripped these logs top and bottom to give them flat bearing surfaces and round notched the corners. Lot of work. The cabin is 24' x 30'.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums