Home

So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt

Posted By: Wolfdog91

So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/01/22 09:34 PM

Well went to the pawn shop with the old man today and they had a Ruger MKll !
Deal is she's Abit..... Rough
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Reckon it's worth some work ? Can to change the barrel and such on these pretty easy ?
Posted By: DaveP

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/01/22 10:32 PM

Someone posted a MK III here a day or two ago with a Pac Lite barrel, suppressor ready.
They also.sell integrated suppressor barrels.

That said, $200 seems a little steep for that one.
But I'm living in the past, lol.
Think mine was that new!

DIY Duracoat candidate?

Have you ever stripped one?
And SUCCESSFULLY reassembled it?

Mainspring tricky to some.
A buddy picked one up cheap, guy thought it was broken.
Just wasn't reassembled correctly!
Posted By: 160user

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/01/22 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP

The secret is to hold them upside down when reassembling. It looks like a fine trapline gun as it is.
Posted By: matt

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/01/22 11:40 PM

Yes, it can be tricky getting one back together. I had one and like a fool, I traded it for something better.. It was not. I watched everything I could find on getting that thing back together. After about a week, I got it. My advise is if it cycles smooth and not any problems. Leave it alone, if not flush it out good.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/01/22 11:55 PM

I would offer him 150, if it functions ok, the good thing about pawnshops is they will almost always bargain, I would almost bet they didn’t lend more then $50 on that, the pawnshop rule of thumb is no more the 25% of what it will sell for unless it’s a really hot ticket item

I have both a mark2 and a mark 3 the 3 has the heavy barrel but both are shooters, the 2 rides my tackle box for when the fishing sucks
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 03:52 AM

I've got a Mark II, always liked the IIs better than the I or IIIs. Just me, no real reason I can justify, I just did. Mine is the heavy model with target sights, bought "used" for $300, it was still full of cosmoline so "used" was a relative term, doubt it had ever had 5 rounds through it. Only problem is that I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, not the gun, it shoots fine for someone else, but I can't shoot it well.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 05:01 AM

If it functions and the barrel isn't shot out, I'd pay $200 for it. I'm rough on my tools and don't deserve nice looking things. That one has already been "broke in" for me.
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 11:09 AM

A buddy of mine bought a MK1 in similar condition to that one, I gave it a tear down and cleaned her up a bit, Shoots nice.

I have mentioned to him that if he ends up not liking it that he won't loose money if he brings it over.

He paid under 200 at an online auction as I recall.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 11:28 AM

Yep, that one is a little rough

I would offer $100 and go from there. I would be happy at $125 if I was going to put some work into it (strip, ceracote, etc)
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 12:57 PM

I looked at the mark 2 I said something about in your other thread yesterday side by side with a mark 4. Yes the 2 is more solid and trigger is better. They have 450 on the 2 550 on the 3.

The only reason the 2 didn't follow me home was I was going to trade one of 2 guns I have no use for. I plande on taking a lose and adding in som cash but not that big of a lose.. I may go back and buy it later if it's there.

A .22 barrel won't be shot out they can take so many of the low pressure rounds it's unreal. It would be more likely to be damaged from improper cleaning. I would offer him less but buy it if you want it.
Posted By: adktrap

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 03:36 PM

One thing to remember on these is that the barrel is the gun. It is the serialized part. You can swap them pretty easy but you won't be able to have it shipped to your home.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife
I would offer him 150, if it functions ok, the good thing about pawnshops is they will almost always bargain, I would almost bet they didn’t lend more then $50 on that, the pawnshop rule of thumb is no more the 25% of what it will sell for unless it’s a really hot ticket item

I have both a mark2 and a mark 3 the 3 has the heavy barrel but both are shooters, the 2 rides my tackle box for when the fishing sucks

dito I would offer 150 IF the barrel looks ok

no they are not a simple barrel swap like a 10/22

ruger will sell you that rear sight

but it all hinges on is the barrel a mess

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by DaveP

The secret is to hold them upside down when reassembling. It looks like a fine trapline gun as it is.

for me the secret is a head lamp so I can see where the hammer and hammer strut sits and a pick to position it right , then it goes together fine every time but I need to see that it is right or it is a maybe.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 04:44 PM

Too rough, too much $$, pass.
Look for better, they are around.
Pay a decent price for a solid gun.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 05:27 PM

Well since this lit legit the first one of these I've seen in close to three years I pull d the trigger and put a little down payment on it.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 05:34 PM

That gun looks like it was somebody’s favorite. I would not be afraid to buy it. Wore off blue wont hurt its functionality

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
That gun looks like it was somebody’s favorite. I would not be afraid to buy it. Wore off blue wont hurt its functionality

This is my thoughts.

I have shot one of mine so much. When I was younger and bulk pack was $8.50 for 550 rounds and you could walk into any Walmart and fill a shopping cart full. I would shoot that thing untill my thumb was to sore and raw to load mags any more. I have used it for years hard use and it's sill great. It's stainless so once probably ten years back I polished it up and made it look new again.

I would put a new sight on the rear buy a few extra mags. Give it a good cleaning and inspection and shoot the heck out of it.

If mine was blued it would look much rougher than that one.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 06:26 PM

I don’t see what’s so rough about it? It’s a gun/tool I think all my rugers look about like that?
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
I don’t see what’s so rough about it? It’s a gun/too I think all my rugers look about like that?

Me either. Looks better than some of my stuff.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 08:00 PM

Congratulations on your new addition to the collection.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 08:03 PM

I have one exactly like that, paid 225 for it brand new with a holster, 2 extra magazines, magazine pouch, but that was 18 years ago. Offer 150, as long as the barrel is good on the inside and chamber.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 08:08 PM

probably harder to negotiate price when your not laying down jacksons on the counter to cover it all right then

how did the car go what did they determine it was?

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/02/22 11:41 PM

My user guns that are blued look rougher than that, there is a reason I prefer stainless. wink My Mk II still looks prestine, but then I've never packed it hardly at all, fired probably a thousand rounds through it, but I can't hit with it, so it resides on my wife's nightstand and she can hit fine with it but hardly ever shoots it.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 01:46 AM

Everybody has different standards about guns.
Right now, you can buy a brand new Mark IV for $360.
Not every iteration, but a couple are available at that price.
So to me, that condition and price did not say go ahead.
Then again it depends upon how badly a guy wants a Mark II and that iteration.
Everything else is relative depending upon other guns owned, their condition, and ability to shoot them well.
Personally I highly value having around a Ruger .22 that shoots center of center.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Everybody has different standards about guns.
Right now, you can buy a brand new Mark IV for $360.
Not every iteration, but a couple are available at that price.
So to me, that condition and price did not say go ahead.
Then again it depends upon how badly a guy wants a Mark II and that iteration.
Everything else is relative depending upon other guns owned, their condition, and ability to shoot them well.
Personally I highly value having around a Ruger .22 that shoots center of center.

I would pay more for a used mark 2 than a new mark 3 or 4. The mark 2 has a much nicer trigger is heavier and every one I hav shot shoots much better groups than the newer models.

Infact I have paid more for my most recent about 5 months back for a used mark 2 than any of the mark 4s I have seen on the shelf. I paid $600 for it gladly. Of course it was in New unfired condition for a government target model. I wouldn't take 2 new mark 4's for it and it's no longer unfired .

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 01:55 AM

you can fix the MKIII trigger for about 10 dollars the MKII hammer bushings take up the space that the Magazine disconnect wastes then you are running a MKII trigger setup
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 02:00 AM

Good call on the purchase Wolfy. Make sure to post the smile you can't wipe off your face right after you shoot a bunch of times and hit what you're shooting at. I have never shot one which wasn't a tack driver as far as 22 pistols go.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
you can fix the MKIII trigger for about 10 dollars the MKII hammer bushings take up the space that the Magazine disconnect wastes then you are running a MKII trigger setup

Maybe but, 1 a gun should go up in quality and not need pieces from older guns to "fix" them and 2 the one I shot were no where near as accurate as a mark 2 either. Not as poor as a sig or wathef .22 but not nearly as nice as Mark 2. Infact years in the future when I inherit dad's I will sell it or give it away to family. The mark 3s were such a let down for me. I was very excited when they came out with the threaded uppers. Then dad and a cousin bought one and they both sucked.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 04:58 AM

The Mk III and IVs also will not fire without a magazine. That is pretty much a no go for me, if I was to lose the magazine I want to be able to load a shell in the chamber and pull the trigger. Some Marlin rifles are the same way, friend and his dad each had one, and when they got worn they wouldn't register they had a magazine in them all the time, you had to press up on the magazine while pulling the trigger to be sure it would fire.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 12:17 PM

Infact I have paid more for my most recent about 5 months back for a used mark 2 than any of the mark 4s I have seen on the shelf. I paid $600 for it gladly. Of course it was in New unfired condition for a government target model. I wouldn't take 2 new mark 4's for it and it's no longer unfired

You got off lucky. I watched the same gun......some commemorative piece.....sell on Gone Broker last year for over $6,000. Just a new in the box Government model.

My interest in these started back in the 70's.........article in Outdoor Life on Bill Ruger and his 22 pistol...........them mentioned it was the gun of choice for a lot of trappers (short barrel). Touted as being simple to make (barrel and some stamped sheet metal), reliable and as accurate as they came.

Took me a while to get there, but eventually wound up with a Government model myself. More by default than choice. Fantastic piece.

Wolfie has a knack for reviving these type of finds......so should do OK, and if a better one comes along, do an upgrade. Gotta start somewhere.
Posted By: hippie

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 03:03 PM

I have a gov't model, bull barrel . bought it moons ago from Dutch Elsasser for 2 bills. Been a very good gun so I'd recommend buying one.

Take brillo pad to it and that rust will disappear. Litely!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 03:52 PM

Hydro dip it!

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 04:27 PM

tape off the controls and sights and rattle can it that bright pink that you made the rod holders , that way when you drop it in the water you can see it and none of your buddies will ask to borrow it , a flap holster to carry it coon hunting to keep your hands free.
Posted By: K52

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Well since this lit legit the first one of these I've seen in close to three years I pull d the trigger and put a little down payment on it.

You'll love that pistol, doesn't look rough to me, just honest wear. At $200 you won't be out any money if you ever decide to sell it, they don't make that one anymore, it's better than the newer versions.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Maybe but, 1 a gun should go up in quality and not need pieces from older guns to "fix" them and 2 the one I shot were no where near as accurate as a mark 2 either. Not as poor as a sig or wathef .22 but not nearly as nice as Mark 2. Infact years in the future when I inherit dad's I will sell it or give it away to family. The mark 3s were such a let down for me. I was very excited when they came out with the threaded uppers. Then dad and a cousin bought one and they both sucked.

the Lawyers got to a bunch of Ruger Products , they tried to please California it is a large market of 35 million people.

later about 2014 they found they could make the gun we all wanted if they called it the PRO and sold it in free states like the LC9s PRO no mag disconnect striker fired and they did that with some models.

the magazine disconnect rides on the trigger pin and if the magazine isn't in it blocks the trigger so it all drags on the trigger.
the holes , pins and placement is all the same so your just putting the MKII trigger into the MKIII pistol if you look at it you could pay to have the MKII drilled and tapped or you could put a MKII set of trigger bushings in a MKIII that comes drilled and tapped. two ways to get to the same thing in the end

when you shop for aftermarket triggers the MKII and MKIII and MKIII 22/45 all use the same parts you just have to get the lawyer accessories out of the way.

it shouldn't get worse but it was the time we lived in and you could walk in to a store and buy a MKIII off the shelf and get the bushing from midway for 8 dollars and shipping or look a long time to find a MKII around used that someone would let go of.
Posted By: NWS,LLC

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 09:27 PM

Value comparison - Ruger single six pistols I have seen for sale recently in this area are way north of $200. Single six is a good accurate trapline pistol too. I have one that rides in the tool bucket when working out of canoe/boat. That is the only purpose it has, I don’t target shoot with a single six.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by NWS,LLC
Value comparison - Ruger single six pistols I have seen for sale recently in this area are way north of $200. Single six is a good accurate trapline pistol too. I have one that rides in the tool bucket when working out of canoe/boat. That is the only purpose it has, I don’t target shoot with a single six.

I bought one on consignment for $135.
Looked like someone used it to drive trap stakes.

Accurate enough at 18".
But beyond that....

My heavy barreled MKII is VERY accurate.
Posted By: NWS,LLC

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 09:56 PM

Doesn’t appear to be money well spent. I wouldn’t consider on target at <18” accurate.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by NWS,LLC
Doesn’t appear to be money well spent. I wouldn’t consider on target at <18” accurate.

Serves its purpose.
Bought it as a trapline gun.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/03/22 10:24 PM

My old single six looks a little rough. It shoots good enough to hit the bottom of a pop can at 25 steps.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/04/22 12:12 AM

I bought a single 10 in stainless also in New in the box condition the same time I bought my latest mark 2 government target. It shoots almost as well as the mark 2. It may shoot better but after 22 years of mark 2s and less than 100 rounds out of the single 10 there is a very good chance it I just don't shoot the single 10 as well as I can a mark 2.
Posted By: nate

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/04/22 03:31 AM

They'll be day's in the future you'll be glad you bought it.

Re: So found a Ruger MKll buuuuttt - 08/04/22 11:43 AM

I've got a single six I packed hunting for a lot of years with a scope on it, before I finally switched to a takedown rifle. That pistol has killed a lot of game. I don't claim to be no great pistol shot, but I can hit pretty good with that pistol, especially with a rest. Love the versatility of switching cylinders and going from 22lr to 22mag. I own three guns that can do that, but one of them (not a Ruger) the magnum cylinder doesn't shoot as well as the long rifle. B

Back to the Mk II. You can mount a scope on that pistol also if you ever want to, something hard to do on most automatics.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums