Home

For those who said I should have bought a tundra !

Posted By: jbyrd63

For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/02/22 10:34 PM

Glad I didn’t! Tundra is now on the third recall for the 2022 tundra .
Waste port on turbocharger
Auto window rolling up and down on their own
But the doosey is the back axle falling out going down the road
There’s a video on you tube Weeelll there was Toyota paid millions to get it removed!
Fishing buddy of mine is plant manager at Toyota. He says it’s another problem after another week after week That’s one reason you can’t find one they are going back to the factory !!
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...all-axle-shaft-may-separate-a3610143069/
Posted By: DWC

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/02/22 10:41 PM

They probably said a newer used tundra. Anyone who buys a first or second year model anything is asking for it.
Posted By: Marty

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/02/22 10:48 PM

You have the best hindsight.. smile
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/02/22 10:56 PM

More foreign junk.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/02/22 11:04 PM

The first model year of major design changes is going to have bugs and that happens pretty much across the board regardless of brand names. Toyota is not exempt and has had some issues over the years like rusted out frames but they have a fairly decent track record of stepping up to the problem and putting a reasonable action and recovery plan in place. One of my Tundras has an emissions air system problem that they fixed at no cost to me after the original warranty had run out. They also paid for a rental truck for me to use while the factory that made the offending pump was recovering from the tsunami in Japan. And they extended the warranty for that problem far above the normal mileage and years in service.

I had a power steering pump develop a few slow leak after the warranty expired on a Tacoma and that was replaced at no charge to me as well. My experience with Toyota has been that they bend over backwards to solve issues while the US auto makers hide behind the fine print to deny warranty service or even admit that there is a problem. GM claimed my new van ate up a set of tires in 10,000 miles because the ball joints were worn out but refused to replace them or adjust for tire wear because ball joints are wear parts. Ball joints that wear out in 10,000 miles are defective period, end of discussion. Such crap as that is why I will never own another GM product. Similar experience with Ford. Have never owned a Chrysler product but have heard the war stories on those also.

But I was not ready to jump on the major redesign of the 2022 Tundra either. In a year or two, we will see how the new drive train shakes out.
Posted By: run

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/02/22 11:27 PM

Jbyrd63, you are funny.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/02/22 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
More foreign junk.

Made in Texas.....but yeah.....might has well be a foreign country crazy
Posted By: waggler

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/02/22 11:35 PM

More foreign junk.

Ha! I think he's talking about Toyotas made in North America.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 12:52 AM

I predicted that!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 01:05 AM

Just wait tell that Chevy gets a little ware on it. But you will likely trade it off like you did the last one before that point.

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Just wait tell that Chevy gets a little ware on it. But you will likely trade it off like you did the last one before that point.

Nope won’t live to put 100,000 on this one Reason other one racked them up was we took it on all our road trips Momma’s new Yukon is the traveling bus now ! My truck hasn’t moved since Friday. Of course we’re on house arrest since Sunday

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 01:59 AM

Buddy said rear end problem was they didn’t train their Guatemalan to tight the bolts coming down the assembly line . Lol truth !!! Waste gate was designed wrong. Windows they have no ideal !
Posted By: TC1

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 01:59 AM

More foreign junk.

Probably more USA made than the ones you think are home grown
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I predicted that!

grin
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 02:04 AM

More foreign junk.

Our trucks are junk too. They ain't built like they used to be. None of the 3.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Nope won’t live to put 100,000 on this one Reason other one racked them up was we took it on all our road trips Momma’s new Yukon is the traveling bus now ! My truck hasn’t moved since Friday. Of course we’re on house arrest since Sunday

Well if it stays in the garage it should last forever. I once thought I had enough 357 mG brass to last my whole life. Turns out I was wrong on that. I hope you live long enough to wear out that one and several more.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 02:28 AM

More foreign junk.

There's more domestic content in parts and labor in a Tundra than any of the new GM junk
Posted By: sneaky

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 02:31 AM

Buddy said rear end problem was they didn’t train their Guatemalan to tight the bolts coming down the assembly line . Lol truth !!! Waste gate was designed wrong. Windows they have no ideal !

If your buddy is a plant manager that may explain a lot

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky

If your buddy is a plant manager that may explain a lot

He’s the manager at their subsidiaries plant that makes transmission housings , throttle bodies, and one other part fir the tundra He gets all the inter company emails and updates Whete he works is owned by Toyota Their production depends on the finished product down the line . Toyota will start out needing 850 parts a day on Monday but by Tuesday they might lower it to 100 or cancel it all together That’s been going on for months since the new truck came out
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 01:17 PM

I have a buddy that fishes the bassmaster elite series, local guy. He is a Chevrolet man. Drives a 2021 silverado all over the country pulling his bass boat. This week he is putting his second torque converter in his transmission. 6 speed auto, somewhere around 50k miles on the truck. I told him he is stupid for not driving a Toyota with all of the incentive and bonus money they pay out to the tournament winners. I think this will be his last Chevrolet
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 01:26 PM

Being right after the fact is usually the best way to being right all of the time.
Posted By: bass10

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 01:28 PM

Should have bought a Ford! JK, my next truck will more than likely be a GMC Denalli. In all seriousness, I know nothing of the new Tundras but will say this. My wife has driven
a new Toyota 4 Runner since 2000 when we bought her first one. She is on her 4th one now a 2019. Her repairs are 1 to every 5 or 6 I have. Toyotas are hard to beat but the gas
mileage is horrible on the Tundras unless they've improved that.
Posted By: hippie

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 03:06 PM

Shoulda bought a Ram.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by bass10
Should have bought a Ford! JK, my next truck will more than likely be a GMC Denalli. In all seriousness, I know nothing of the new Tundras but will say this. My wife has driven
a new Toyota 4 Runner since 2000 when we bought her first one. She is on her 4th one now a 2019. Her repairs are 1 to every 5 or 6 I have. Toyotas are hard to beat but the gas

Unless they have done so on the brand new models that came out this year, the answer is no. The old smaller Tundras got pretty good for a V8, but when they went to the bigger body and bigger motor the gas mileage tanked. As I stated, I don't like the Tundras because they aren't designed to do what I want to do. I have a friend though that uses them for work (he is a cruiser and puts quite a lot of miles on) he started out with one of the older smaller Tundras, got rid of it at 350,000 and is on his third newer, bigger one. Having got rid of the previous two at 350-375,000 miles. All three of them had original motor and transmission still when he got rid of them, and the first two are still running as farm trucks where he sold them to a friend, not sure where the last one went. As he told me one day when we were talking about them, "the gas mileage sucks, but I can't see driving anything else for the reliability as much time as I spend way back in the woods by myself. And besides, you can buy a lot of gas for the price of a new motor or transmission."
Posted By: bass10

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2

Unless they have done so on the brand new models that came out this year, the answer is no. The old smaller Tundras got pretty good for a V8, but when they went to the bigger body and bigger motor the gas mileage tanked. As I stated, I don't like the Tundras because they aren't designed to do what I want to do. I have a friend though that uses them for work (he is a cruiser and puts quite a lot of miles on) he started out with one of the older smaller Tundras, got rid of it at 350,000 and is on his third newer, bigger one. Having got rid of the previous two at 350-375,000 miles. All three of them had original motor and transmission still when he got rid of them, and the first two are still running as farm trucks where he sold them to a friend, not sure where the last one went. As he told me one day when we were talking about them, "the gas mileage sucks, but I can't see driving anything else for the reliability as much time as I spend way back in the woods by myself. And besides, you can buy a lot of gas for the price of a new motor or transmission."

I think the smaller models are Tacomas? The Tundras have always had poor gas mileage? I wasn't aware they made a smaller Tacoma and Tundra? But I am no truck expert by any means. My
good buddy has been a Ford mechanic for 25-30 years so because of him saving me $$$ I have always bought Ford trucks.

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 03:19 PM

No, the smaller model, older Tundras. Toyota started making the Tacoma in 95.5, and went to the bigger style Tacoma in 2005. They made a larger (Dodge Dakota sized) truck called a T100 in the 90s and then replaced that with a Tundra 1999, this was the "smaller" Tundra I refer to, they went to a larger Tundra with the 5.7 and a bigger payload in either 07 or 08.

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 03:22 PM

By the way, for those calling the Tundras "foreign junk", they have been made in the US ever since their inception in 99.

I forget off hand which one is the most "american made pickup" but it is either the Tacoma or the Tundra, both are higher percentage american made than anything coming from the big 3.
Posted By: K9Wolfer

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 03:31 PM

7. Toyota Tundra
Toyota Motor's (NYSE:TM) Tundra comes in at No.7 on the list. Assembled in San Antonio, Texas, the Tundra represents one of the two full-sized pickup trucks that make the American Made index. Trucks have been dominating auto sales in 2013 thanks to a rebounding housing market and consumers who are willing to buy again. And reports show that buyers are turning to pickup trucks — good news for Toyota's Tundra, which has benefited from increased support from customers, especially in its state of creation, Texas.

Tundra is built in Texas not Japan
Posted By: trapdye

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 03:31 PM

New trucks are great, Everyone may have some problems. I have both 2019 F-150 & 2019 F-250, 20,000 on the F-150 & 18,000 on the F-250. The F-150 at 17,400, The power module went out, Not a thing in the truck would work, No start, lights out. Went back to dealers, They replaced the module & all is fine so far. The F-250 had a recall on the insulation above the driveshaft may loosen & have contact with the drive shaft. Who really knows, All depends how much service they have & how hard they worked.

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 04:45 PM

Probably shouldn't have stated that, because everybody ranks them differently.
"Because 65% of the Tundra’s parts originate in the U.S. or Canada and it’s assembled in San Antonio Texas, Cars.com named it the most “American-made” full-size pickup truck. But some economists argue that because Toyota’s headquartered abroad, the Tundra comes in second place–just behind the Ford F-150."
Others rank the Honda Ridgline as #1
And still others the Ford Ranger

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/is-the-toyota-tundra-really-the-most-american-made-full-size-truck/
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 04:58 PM

2018 tundra here. 87,000 miles. Just shucked an engine. Always been very well maintained. Just saying they arent all great.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 05:27 PM

You don't keep them long enough for problems to start. Lol.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 06:52 PM

My 2012 Toyota Tundra is great. Still kicking and but for the wear looks great.

The 2022 Toyota Tundra is probably the worst looking truck I have ever seen.
Posted By: yotegtr

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 08:49 PM

2012 tundra here, smoked the tranny at 71,000 and just replaced the motor at 128,000. Lost compression in 1 cylinder.
Posted By: K9Wolfer

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/03/22 10:32 PM

No .. What I posted was that the Tundra is made here in the USA in Texas
Posted By: blackoak

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/04/22 02:35 AM

The best truck I have ever owned was a 96 Tocoma. Drove that truck hard on the trap line for many years. It had over 300K on it when I sold it. The guy that bought it drove it for a few more years when the frame finally gave out. The motor - transmission was still working fine.

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/04/22 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by blackoak
The best truck I have ever owned was a 96 Tocoma. Drove that truck hard on the trap line for many years. It had over 300K on it when I sold it. The guy that bought it drove it for a few more years when the frame finally gave out. The motor - transmission was still working fine.

Not relevant to this post
Talking about a 2022 TUNDRA
Posted By: midlander

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/04/22 05:09 AM

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consumer-reports-worst-trucks-2021-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra/
Posted By: 3togo

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/04/22 09:43 AM

The first Tundra's were from 2000-2006? Physically about the size of a Dodge Dakota. Totally different truck, including the engine. I drove one until 122,000 and traded on an a 2010 5.4l, F150. No serious problems with the F150 (made in Canada) but I got rid of it before the well known low volume oil pump issue requires all of the front motor parts (cam chains, wear blocks, adjusters, and sometimes rocker arms, oil pump) to be replaced.

Currently driving a 2017 NIssan Titan XD bought from the Ford dealer when I traded. Only got 26,000 on it but so far has been the best truck I ever owned. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Posted By: blackoak

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/05/22 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by blackoak

Not relevant to this post
Talking about a 2022 TUNDRA

You are not relevant to me.
Posted By: waggler

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/05/22 03:44 AM

The exception does not make the rule.
You can find one-offs in any subject, It's kind of like the guy who tries to justify not wearing a seatbelt because his brother-in-law was in an accident once and; "he would have died if he had his seatbelt on".

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/05/22 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
The exception does not make the rule.
You can find one-offs in any subject, It's kind of like the guy who tries to justify not wearing a seatbelt because his brother-in-law was in an accident once and; "he would have died if he had his seatbelt on".

Correct but the 2022 tundra compared to a Chevy Silverado is not the exception The truth is the 2022[/b][b][b][/b]tundra is junk compared to the 2022 Silverado. I bought a NEW truck and was told I should have bought a Toyota by some on here. I pointed out the failures of the completely redesigned top to bottom piece of junk tundra and folks started telling thousands of miles of usage on their tundra. It ain’t the same truck folks!!!
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/05/22 09:58 AM

Why would you care that others care what vechile you bought?

If you bought a vechile that is good for you, then good for you.

Not everything is a confrontation or point of argument.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: For those who said I should have bought a tundra ! - 08/05/22 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Why would you care that others care what vechile you bought?

If you bought a vechile that is good for you, then good for you.

Not everything is a confrontation or point of argument.

Good question. Probably an undercover commie.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums