Home

Upland hunting January in Kansas

Posted By: Don

Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/03/22 04:55 PM

Talking about going to Kansas in January to try to find some Bobwhite and Pheasants. Anyone hunt or live or have information in the South Central area south of Hays?
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/03/22 05:42 PM

I would get as far North as you can. Definitely not the quantity of birds like the Dakotas have but they are around. If you can get there on one of the first snows it is FUN!

[Linked Image]

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/03/22 10:09 PM

DO you find Quail in the northern part of Kansas?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/03/22 10:13 PM

Have quail in a few small pockets.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/03/22 10:16 PM

Fair hatch of quail in my area this summer
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/03/22 10:24 PM

Haven't hunted quail in quite a few years but the last several I've been seeing a lot more. Can't hardly drive a mile on a country road here without jumping a pair. Starting to see a few broods the last couple of weeks. I'd stay south central if your wanting quail. But like I said I haven't hunted birds for quite a few years. The pheasant population has seemed really good in NW Ks were I deer hunt the last couple of years.
Posted By: ZionHeritageFarm

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/03/22 10:37 PM

I live in north North Central Kansas. Our quail population seems really good this year. Pheasant is slim pickins.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/03/22 10:58 PM

Thanks for the replies so far
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 12:22 AM

We don't hunt quail much around here anymore, I'm sure there are more than one thinks, but they seem scarce. I have been seeing more the last few years though, but A LOT of leased land in these parts, hard to find places to hunt at times. East central KS
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Have quail in a few small pockets.

Many pheasants in your neck of the woods, Danny?

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 12:56 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. I live south and west of Danny, and we have zero.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 02:00 AM

I live in NE and used to have quite a few pheasants, but they have gotten scarce in the last five years. Quail have picked up a little the last few years, but are nothing like they were in my younger days. I'm afraid you would have to hunt very hard to get your limit!
Posted By: ks wolfer

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 02:24 AM

western KS--- which would include Hays-- check map---- has virtually zero pheasants anymore and very few quail. 2010-14 drought kept hatches from surviving and the ding dongs at KDWP kept a season on them anyway---- This drought likewise--- not much of a hatch survived-------- South Dakota is the place to hunt pheasants.
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 02:30 AM

I was talking to some guys and they said we're on our 4th hatch of pheasants this year, the bounty on nest predators and Covid really helped the birds.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 02:39 AM

I used to turkey hunt North Central Kansas and certain WIHA’s were quail central. They held more quail than turkeys. I honestly jumped 17 pairs walking one section. That was quite a few years ago, but the habitat should still be the same.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 08:41 AM

none ang. no quail either. never been pheasants. we used to have prairie chickens, quail, rabbits, big bull frogs and muskrats. all gone. meadow larks are getting mighty scarce now
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Don
DO you find Quail in the northern part of Kansas?

Not as many quail there as there are pheasants from my experiences there but I do not live there.

I'd say there are definitely better places to go for upland than Kansas, but if I had to pick a place to go in Kansas it would be here
Originally Posted by Yes sir
The pheasant population has seemed really good in NW Ks were I deer hunt the last couple of years.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
I was talking to some guys and they said we're on our 4th hatch of pheasants this year, the bounty on nest predators and Covid really helped the birds.

It's physically impossible for pheasants to raise more than one brood each year. If they loose their eggs, they may re nest, but lay less eggs, and have a lower hatch rate if they do.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper

It's physically impossible for pheasants to raise more than one brood each year. If they loose their eggs, they may re nest, but lay less eggs, and have a lower hatch rate if they do.

That sounded suspicious to me too, Mark. But then, I'm a trapper and all I know about phesants is that they taste good! grin
Posted By: MJM

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
That sounded suspicious to me too, Mark. But then, I'm a trapper and all I know about pheasants is that they taste good! grin[/quote]
I learned a little about ground nesting birds and waterfowl trapping for Delta Waterfowl. Here they say the Canada geese are on their second or third brood. It does not happen.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 03:42 PM

You are both correct. Pheasants raise one clutch a year if they are lucky. When you see different sizes of pheasant chicks standing in the road together, look closely, there are multiple hens there. Pheasants nest until they hatch a brood or body condition says no more eggs. They will try up to 4 times in a season, but they don't kick week old offspring to the curb to start the nesting process over. The idea of 2nd hatches etc is commonly accepted so don't feel bad, but it just ain't true.

Pheasants are awesome on the dinner table though.
Posted By: charles

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 03:49 PM

The last quail I saw was about 10 years ago, and they flew across the road into a private preserve.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 03:59 PM

SW KS at one time, rivaled SD. Its over now with severe drought, but having hunted both SD and KS, Kansas was unbelievable and allowed 4 rooster bag limit. Access was simple and the WIHA stuff was great too. Lots of pheasants and quail. SD certainly had a lot of pheasants but access was much much tougher.

The simple fact now is pheasants are struggling nearly everywhere. Large scale drought, loss of CRP to haying and grazing or contract expiration have hugely reduced suitable habitat. Its got nothing to do with overhunting, its 100% habitat related.
Posted By: ks wolfer

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 07:42 PM

sorry I wasn't more clear--- didn't mean to insinuate they were hunted out, just that when their habitat, but especially water is non-existent, perhaps it would have been prudent to shut the season down to save what few survivors existed to repopulate. Kansas use to be THE PLACE-- 40 yrs ago--- they also use to hatch and stock lots of birds. Main hatchery was near Meade. They no longer do that.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 07:53 PM

kdwp sucks for many reasons....very corrupt/inept agency.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ringneck1
You are both correct. Pheasants raise one clutch a year if they are lucky. When you see different sizes of pheasant chicks standing in the road together, look closely, there are multiple hens there. Pheasants nest until they hatch a brood or body condition says no more eggs. They will try up to 4 times in a season, but they don't kick week old offspring to the curb to start the nesting process over. The idea of 2nd hatches etc is commonly accepted so don't feel bad, but it just ain't true.

Pheasants are awesome on the dinner table though.

Good post

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
kdwp sucks for many reasons....very corrupt/inept agency.

Yep.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 10:09 PM

Coyote Clayton is from KS, he hunts birds there

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 10:21 PM

He's s central I believe. More quail an less pheasant. Awesome area
Posted By: SDB

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/04/22 11:17 PM

[Linked Image]
160 acres of heaven equals plenty of pheasants

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/05/22 01:11 AM

State park archery pavilion.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Told the manager when they were setting the forms that it looked very level. He bragged pn how he used a laser level. Told him it needed To ne pitched for drainage and he basically told me I to pass off.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/05/22 01:27 AM

Rookie on the power trowel I'd say. Level is fine if it's done right.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/05/22 01:32 AM

I never seen an outdoor concrete pad that was level....they did not use a power trowel...it was done in house by maintenance/park rangers. When they built a new guard shack at the entrance they framed it, put the windows and doors in and then put the wall sheathing over the window/door flanges. Talk to them and they will tell you how expert they are at everything...

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/05/22 01:43 AM

I never seen an outdoor concrete pad that was level....they did not use a power trowel...it was done in house by maintenance/park rangers. When they built a new guard shack at the entrance they framed it, put the windows and doors in and then put the wall sheathing over the window/door flanges. Talk to them and they will tell you how expert they are at everything...

I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification Marty.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/05/22 01:48 AM

I did not mean to correct you yukon....just giving my opinion. Appreciate your input and have a good evening.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/05/22 01:50 AM

I did not mean to correct you yukon....just giving my opinion. Appreciate your input and have a good evening.

I wasn't being sarcastic, obviously if a bunch of hair brains did the job, they deserve the criticism...I figured it was contracted. No hard feelings at all.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/06/22 06:11 AM

My pet peeve. Why does everyone feel like they are an expert at virtually everything? At some point ya gotta be willing to ask for advice or help. 95% of hirees now literally know everything, has built everything, invented the internet, overhauled any engine you might discuss, yet cannot check oil.

KS guys, I do have to point out that at least ks parks would build an archery pavilion. Over here we'd be $60-70 k in before deciding that the upkeep on a facility like that makes it unfeasible. Someone might have to go out there and empty the trash can and that's a deal breaker!

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/06/22 06:48 AM

Yup the guy in charge of building that thinks he knows everything.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/06/22 09:59 AM

The number one job of Wildlife and Parks here in KS is to sell licenses. There has been some great programs in the past that get discontinued. Two biggies come to mind, Pheasant hatching and walleye rearing.

Ask them about rabbit, prairie chicken and quail decline, HABITAT, they all shout. But there is PLENTY of unchanged habitat the animals have disappeared from. Plenty.

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/06/22 10:05 AM

Nobody from the state wants to talk about no worms or bugs anyplace with row crops. They dont want to talk about fewer bugs even where there are no row crops either. June here in Burg , at night, there would be tens of thousands of blinking lightning bugs. Now you dont see many at all. I dont see bees in my yard on the dandelions anymore either. Good luck finding a muskrat turd or a mink track any place around here. Turkey numbers are declining also. I think that goes back to the no bug thing
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/06/22 11:37 AM

We have good numbers of pheasant and quail. Good numbers of 2 year old birds. The drought has hurt a bit but it will be a decent year.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Upland hunting January in Kansas - 08/06/22 11:43 AM

State park archery pavilion.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Told the manager when they were setting the forms that it looked very level. He bragged pn how he used a laser level. Told him it needed To ne pitched for drainage and he basically told me I to pass off.

Those are bird baths for the wildlife. grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums