Home

Tools from HF that don't suck!

Posted By: Guss

Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 05:44 PM

I bought some tools from they years ago that broke,so I did not have a good opinion of the store.
But in 2020 they up their game now most of their tools are good, I bought the 12k winch and took out 2 pine trees stumps also getting my plow truck unstuck and my tractor. The predator engines I used when I built my log spliter 13 HP and their power washer is good also.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 05:58 PM

I've used and abused their Impact sockets for years and never had a problem
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 06:05 PM

Their linesman pliers are good to go. I've lost them all over the state of MI. grin
Posted By: DWC

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 08:04 PM

Its difficult to not buy one of everything when I go in there.
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 08:21 PM

I've had good service from their reciprocating saw.
Posted By: GRP

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 08:41 PM

Have absolutely tortured a 7 inch angle grinder I got there about 10 years ago. Still runs great. Chicago power tools maybe.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 08:50 PM

There newspaper flyers make good firestarters.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 09:19 PM

All hand tools have lifetime warranty. Take 'em back if you still have them.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 09:27 PM

Have a 5000 lb Bad Boy winch from HF on my SxS. Have used it a few times...WORKS GREAT! I keep it covered with a cheap cover.
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 09:32 PM

I've tried to break a Pittsburgh 3/4 drive set I use at work and can't do it. Cheater pipe on ratchet won't phase it.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 09:35 PM

I buy all my 1 inch bits for pre drilling pilot holes for earth anchors and Wolf Fangs at HF and have had good lick with them

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 09:47 PM

They came along way from junk tools.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/05/22 11:05 PM

They dont make any. I go in every 6 months or so and look at what they have, never buy anything. But always leave feeling dirty.
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 12:37 AM

Pittsburgh pro ratchets are good, impact sockets, and I like there locking pliers for the price
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckles84
They dont make any. I go in every 6 months or so and look at what they have, never buy anything. But always leave feeling dirty.

LOL, that’s funny. I did buy their electric winch for my skinning machine, but that’s about it. I burned up an 4.5 “ angle grinder after a month, stripped gears on an ATV winch quickly.
All my hand tools are Protos, SK, Craftsmen, Snap on, Stanley, or Channel-lock brand. I’ve had many for 40-50 years.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 12:52 AM

I use the Hardy brand of gloves. Lots of firewood and they last.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

LOL, that’s funny. I did buy their electric winch for my skinning machine, but that’s about it. I burned up an 4.5 “ angle grinder after a month, stripped gears on an ATV winch quickly.
All my hand tools are Protos, SK, Craftsmen, Snap on, Stanley, or Channel-lock brand. I’ve had many for 40-50 years.

My last two 3/8" craftsman ratchets were complete junk. The first broke the first time I used it. I took it back and the guts fell out of the replacement BEFORE I put it on its first bolt.
Posted By: run

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 01:48 AM

ICON hand tools are supposed to be a snap on copy . Some of them are ok with the use I have given them. Not really a favorite tool of mine to be perfectly honest. Harbor freight is where you go if you don't have a decent tool store in your town. Just my 2 cents. If you don't like my opinion, I understand.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

Cornwell tools and some old USA made craftsman tools for me. I depend on my tools every day at work so I buy quality. Have some Snap on stuff a lot of it is broken but I didnt keep a massive balance so the Snap on guy quit stopping by the shop. So I am weeding out snap on from my tool box.
Posted By: uncleduck

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 03:38 AM

The $6 ammo cans hold .308 boxes just fine
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 06:34 AM

When son was in auto school, Snap-On came in and selling their shiney tool packages to the kids. They would even set up financing lol. Now nothing against Snap-On tools. I said no! Took him down to HF, bought him all the tools in their package and more for less than 1/4 what Snap-On wanted. He still has those tools 20 years later, except for the ones his buddies borrowed and didn't return. They are still working everyday.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 07:02 AM

I bought a lithium string trimmer a couple years ago after my gas one died one afternoon. Thought it would last a week or so just enough to get through a few jobs. That thing is still going strong and is now my favorite.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 12:38 PM

I spend too much every time I go into one. You just have to use your head about what your buying.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 12:48 PM

I keep planting them and they never take root. I just buy more, I try to keep them in every truck and tractor, if I use them once when in a bind they are worth it.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
When son was in auto school, Snap-On came in and selling their shiney tool packages to the kids. They would even set up financing lol. Now nothing against Snap-On tools. I said no! Took him down to HF, bought him all the tools in their package and more for less than 1/4 what Snap-On wanted. He still has those tools 20 years later, except for the ones his buddies borrowed and didn't return. They are still working everyday.

What a racket. A coworker went to auto school and the exact thing happened. He was just telling me about it a couple days ago. 19 years old financed 10k for 16 percent interest. Said several of his buddies financed 30k or better. Between the school and snap on, its almost criminal. I wouldnt buy a thing from those crooks.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 03:31 PM

These things are great. We use them often, and for what we need them for, there isn’t a better tool.

8-in-1 wrench. $11.99 at harbor freight.

[Linked Image]

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/06/22 09:38 PM

If you pay in cash, snap on isn't too bad to do business with. I only buy 1-3 hand tools @ a time from snap on. No power tools from snap on. There's plenty of reviews on YouTube and other social media to help sort out the junk . I don't like snap on adjustable wrenches for one. I'm more of a Klein tools fan.

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/07/22 07:40 PM

My Cousin in law helped me roof my cabin and we managed to kill his pancake compressor. When I asked the store manager if they sold replacement O-Rings, He practically BEGGED me to bring it in and exchange it for a new one. Great service from them.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 08/07/22 07:52 PM

I've had good luck with their zipties smile
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 01:59 AM

wire cups for the die grinder https://www.harborfreight.com/power...brushes/2-inch-wire-cup-brush-42858.html

1/4 inch die grinder https://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-die-grinder-32046.html?_br_psugg_q=die+grinder

this combination is a rust and paint removing machine use them on brake parts and used it to do 6 windows in the last 2 days

if it is loose paint it will come off and the stuff that is stuck on if you stay on it a bit it will wear it down

working on a 113 year old house there is a bit of paint build up I took the windows and trim down to bare wood in a lot of spots where it was peeling so much faster than a scraper and takes so much more off than the scraper

also a very fast way to remove loos window glazing

6 windows and trim the brush is showing wire loss , but it would have taken a lot of sheets of sand paper to come close to amount it took off.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
There newspaper flyers make good firestarters.

LMAO.

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 02:10 AM

Paint that old is likely full of lead, wear a mask.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 02:28 AM

Their pro tools are better than Crapsman tools
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 04:33 AM

1/2 drive deep well impact sockets have worked well for me -- when I finally "plant " to many of them then I buy another set -- occasionally I will wear one out -most times I lose or plant long before I have issues with them.
Posted By: NoraSue

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 10:09 AM

I bought a Power Head and 6" auger from them to put in 22 4 x 4 posts at 2.5 ' deep for a dog fence. Worked really well and still going strong. Was a little over $200, Pleasantly surprised and made my job a lot easier!
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 11:59 AM

I am a fan of buying quality, typically following the buy once cry once motto. However, there are a few exceptions. Most all of these were recommended to me at one time or another by family or close friend. I have not been disappointed.

HF Sanding Belt cleaner has greatly extended the life of my sanding belts. $8.49

I've used their Pittsburgh 3 ton floor jack for years without any issues. $159.99

30"x19" hardwood dolly has been abused and still functions $17.99

HF Cen-Tech 2/10/50A 12V battery charger has preformed flawlessly for nearly a decade. $54.99

Always find tarps, zip ties, gloves, batteries, etc on sale.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 12:07 PM

I’ve bought many things at HF that have served me well. The electric hoist bolted to my garage ceiling for skinning coyotes is a perfect fit for that job.
Gloves, brushes, you name it.
I lose screwdrivers around here like crazy. Replacing with bundles of HF screwdrivers has worked well. I seem to lose them before I ruin them through use.
Jim
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 12:11 PM

Had the family in town the other day. My oldest boy (5) just learned to ride his bike without training wheels. We told him when he learns to ride without training wheels, we'd get him a new bike. It was about time anyway, he's outgrown the 16" bike and his younger brother can use it. Picked up a bike for him, and had a load of groceries in the back of the Traverse, so nothing more would fit in the car. My wife's bike needed quite a few repairs and new parts, and was out of commission. It turned out to be one of those "it would be better to buy a new $600 bike than put $300 into a 15 year old bike" kind of things. But, we needed a bike rack. HF had them for sale for $40. So, for $60, I walked out of the store with a bike rack and a new socket set. Put the rack together in the parking lot, then got her new bike and strapped it on. Made it the 100 or so miles home, no problem.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 12:19 PM

Nitrile gloves,
Hardy gloves
Ratchet straps
Torque wrenches

Pintail, you're lucky! I've had their floor jacks fail. Thank God I had the tire under the brake rotor. Right after that HF had a recall due to failures.
Posted By: Jkeith

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 01:07 PM

Cornwell, SK, Snap On, Klein, Channellock and Starrett (only the USA made stuff) for me.

I try very hard to avoid companies whose business model trades on disposability. It's a losing battle of course, but I do whatever I can to NOT participate in planned obsolescence. More importantly, I like to keep as much of my money here in the U.S. or at least in the Western Hemisphere. Besides, U.S. dollars work much better here in the U.S. than halfway around the globe.

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
These things are great. We use them often, and for what we need them for, there isn’t a better tool.

8-in-1 wrench. $11.99 at harbor freight.

[Linked Image]

Can you get this in ICON brand?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jkeith
Cornwell, SK, Snap On, Klein, Channellock and Starrett (only the USA made stuff) for me.

I try very hard to avoid companies whose business model trades on disposability. It's a losing battle of course, but I do whatever I can to NOT participate in planned obsolescence. More importantly, I like to keep as much of my money here in the U.S. or at least in the Western Hemisphere. Besides, U.S. dollars work much better here in the U.S. than halfway around the globe.

For hand tools like wrenches, sockets and such, Snap-on or Mac wrenches are top of the heap for heavy use. I base this on working at a Dealership that was flat rate and air tools were used heavily with the wrench holding the other end of the bolt/nut. S-K held up fair to the pounding also.

For sockets, I don't think any will take what a Snap-on socket will. They are just down right tuff!

For ratchets, it's a toss up with maybe S-K giving me the best service but are no longer made I think. Never had much luck with Snaps on ratchets at all, especially their 1/4" .
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 06:23 PM

I get a kick out of these posts.

I'm secure enough in my manhood it doesn't matter what brand of tools I have they just need to do the job.
Posted By: learch

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 06:43 PM

I bought a battery operated pole saw. I’ve used it plenty over four years and am happy with it. I think it is a 40 v. It’s a cheep tool but worth what I paid for it.

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 06:59 PM

Most of there stuff is good but their cutting wheels are not.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 07:19 PM

The parts washer I bought a few months ago is great for the money and costs about 1/3rd of a name brand.

Re: Tools from HF that don't suck! - 09/01/22 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Originally Posted by Jkeith

For hand tools like wrenches, sockets and such, Snap-on or Mac wrenches are top of the heap for heavy use. I base this on working at a Dealership that was flat rate and air tools were used heavily with the wrench holding the other end of the bolt/nut. S-K held up fair to the pounding also.

For sockets, I don't think any will take what a Snap-on socket will. They are just down right tuff!

For ratchets, it's a toss up with maybe S-K giving me the best service but are no longer made I think. Never had much luck with Snaps on ratchets at all, especially their 1/4" .

SK is currently being made in Williamsport,PA. I learned this on garage journal.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums