Home

209 primers

Posted By: Macthediver

209 primers - 08/08/22 08:37 PM

Last year about this time posted about looking for 209 shotgun primers. I found enough for that project at the time but they were over priced of course. I've been watching and keeping my eyes open for primers at a half way decent price. The other day my son sent me FB post for a mom & pop reloading shop 20 mile south of town. Add said just got a shipment of supplies including 209 primers. What's odd is that I had no idea this shop was even in existence. But anyway I called and talked to the owner. Today I stopped in and picked up couple 100 of 209 primers. They are a brand I never heard of, actually made in France. Guy said shouldn't be any big difference between these and the Winchester I usually use. At $6.50 for 100 I figured give them a try.
Anyone else seen or use these?

[Linked Image]

Mac
Posted By: Brian Luebke

Re: 209 primers - 08/08/22 08:42 PM

I just bought that brand too.

First 209 pruners I've seen in 3 years around me.
Posted By: white17

Re: 209 primers - 08/08/22 08:44 PM

They're fairly common. The dimensions are a bit different from the Winchester 209's and others so you might notice either loose or tight fits.

Recheck your loads with this primer. May need to alter your charge slightly depending on the wad & powder

Here's a table to compare dimensions

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 209 primers - 08/08/22 08:45 PM

Cheddite are getting more common now listed in some loads

ballistic products sells them and their clear hulls and has some data for the pre primed hulls they sell
Posted By: DaveP

Re: 209 primers - 08/08/22 08:59 PM

I've seen 209s sporadically.
It's #11 percussion caps that I've found elusive.
CCI said they will resume production in 2024 OR 2025!

Guess it's time to dig out the old Tap A Cap.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: 209 primers - 08/08/22 09:44 PM

Probably been 10X more Cheddite 209 primers sold in past year than all others combined. Last I checked, BPI is offering them in 5000 case lots with limit 2 cases per order. That would be 10,000 primers. Lot of local stores now selling them in bricks of 1000. They fit north America hulls fine and yes are similar to Win 209......but easy to find actual Cheddite load data too.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: 209 primers - 08/08/22 10:27 PM

Here ya go

Attached picture Screenshot_20220808-182621.png
Posted By: Finster

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 12:26 AM

Made in France? They will probably never fire and only surrender.

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Finster
Made in France? They will probably never fire and only surrender.

LMAO
At least they aren't made in China!! Or Mexico... Or dare I say???? Russia.
I wonder if they are available in Canada??? Maybe popular in Quebec?

Mac
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 12:40 AM

Im interested in what you think of them after you load a few
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 02:40 AM

my last 6 rounds of skeet were 24,25,24,25,25,22 with reloads I used Cheddite primers. Seem to work just fine
Posted By: RiverRat

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 11:53 AM

I have been loading AA hulls with them for a while, no issues!

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cletis Richards
my last 6 rounds of skeet were 24,25,24,25,25,22 with reloads I used Cheddite primers. Seem to work just fine

Where did you find load data for them or are you just swapping with what you usually use? I usually loaded most my stuff using Winchester primers.
I've done a little reading and of course like everything. Got guys saying just load them like the Winchester and guys saying don't do it.

Mac
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 12:35 PM

Do not directly replace them for winchesters, they are not the same. Close(ish), but not the same.

I have shot thousands of cheddite primers and hulls from negative temps in a duck swamp to 98 degrees trap shooting. You probably have too without knowing it. Many brands of factory ammo we are accustomed to shooting are cheddite hulls and primers

All of my load development is with new cheddite hulls and primers

They are fantastic and I can confidently say I have never had a failure to fire with them. Now fiocchi on the other hand.....
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 06:06 PM

Has this brand of 209's been ok for inline muzzelloaders for anyone?
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 06:42 PM

Cheddit will work just fine. Wolf primers are good also. Load it and it will go boom. Simple as that. Nice find. Enjoy.
Sarge
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster

Will go boom as well. Sarge

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 06:52 PM

[quote=patrapperbuster]Has this brand of 209's been ok for inline muzzelloaders for anyone?[/quote

The guy at the shop I got them from said he actually sells more 209s to the muzzle loader folks than shot shell reloader. I'm told these primers are considered hotter than then Winchester 209. How that work in muzzle loading I have no idea. But like shot shells would think it depends on how you loaded it
I'm also told this brand primer is smidge bigger. Again not sure what the tolerance is for muzzle loader. Might stick more or be looser???

But as Sarge said ..Will go boom!

Mac
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster

haven't tried this one
but
haven't tried one yet that didn't work , some might be hotter than needed back down on the charge and work up

noble sport , win , rem , cci , fed ,

the concern is to hot a primer subtracts from the accuracy by changing the burn of your load

but especially in 209 buckhorn and subs I am not real sure it is that much of an issue

boom and slightly inaccurate is better than no boom

most guns are rated for 120gr some 150gr of powder and there is seldom any need to exceed 90-100 gr of powder make sure your projectile is down firm on your powder and 90 is 75% of a 120gr max load so that is a decent reduction
start low and work up in anything muzzle loader a Max load is almost never the most accurate
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 09:46 PM

Probably gone through 10,000 in the last 18/20 months without a hitch in 12, 20, and 410.
Posted By: garymc

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 11:07 PM

I started using the Cheddites for my 410 loads and really like them. I happened upon 1000 Federal Champion 209A primers earlier this year, which is my preferred ML primer. One thing I noticed with my 410 loads with H110 powder which is dirty, I found that the barrel remained cleaner with the Cheddites vs the Federal 209A.

I have yet to try the Cheddites in my Encore muzzleloader, but will in the future over a Chronograph to see how they perform compared to a lot of other powder/primer/bullet combinations I have tried over the years.

The primer and ammo shortage has brought some new overseas brands into the game that seem to be of decent quality and price that might work to the consumers advantage if things ever return to “normal”
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: 209 primers - 08/09/22 11:40 PM

I've been using them for 3 years no problems.I use there hulls and primers on my TSS coyote loads.

Re: 209 primers - 08/10/22 12:14 AM

I have some older Alcan 220 and Rem 97 primers I offered to the only person I know with an In Line. He said he was pretty well set and sent me some pictures of Hodgdon 209 primers sold for that purpose. Does anyone know where those fit in on the 209 primer temp scale?
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: 209 primers - 08/10/22 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
Originally Posted by Cletis Richards

Where did you find load data for them or are you just swapping with what you usually use? I usually loaded most my stuff using Winchester primers.
I've done a little reading and of course like everything. Got guys saying just load them like the Winchester and guys saying don't do it.

Mac

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=55 their site shows several loads using cheddites
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: 209 primers - 08/11/22 12:30 PM

I've been using Cheddite primers for the last few years for my target/dove loads, and saving my Winchester and Federal primers for my hunting loads. I have noticed that when I load a Cheddite primer in a win AA hull, and try to reload that same hull with a Win 209 it is sloppy. So, I have a 5 gal bucket full "cheddite primer only" hulls. No big deal.

Re: 209 primers - 08/11/22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by pintail_drake04
I've been using Cheddite primers for the last few years for my target/dove loads, and saving my Winchester and Federal primers for my hunting loads. I have noticed that when I load a Cheddite primer in a win AA hull, and try to reload that same hull with a Win 209 it is sloppy. So, I have a 5 gal bucket full "cheddite primer only" hulls. No big deal.

The guy I got the primers from said he found the same thing. So he used his AA casing that had been already reloaded a couple times with Winchester. Then kept them separate once he loaded the Cheddites.

Mac

Re: 209 primers - 08/11/22 02:10 PM

Cheddite primers in the blue and purple box are to US standards. Prior to the change, they may have been in yellow and green boxes. Those were a bit oversized.

I've loaded Cheddites......blue and purple.......in Win AA hulls and they fit the same as a Win 209 primer.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums