Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 01:58 PM

Are you redefining “necessity”?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 02:07 PM

Huh?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 02:11 PM

Thinking he's referring to more money for electric cars and re-funding obamacare.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 02:16 PM

I figured most people have eliminated any unnecessary spending, was wondering if they have cut into any necessary spending.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 02:24 PM

Not I, necessary is necessary...ie....heat, taxes, light ect.

I've cut down on other spending for entertainment and the likes.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 02:24 PM

I'm actually stockpiling non perishables when I can find a screaming deal.
Typically 50-75% off.
Fast as the dollar is shrinking, I'm hedging against future increases.

Been flipping a few things too.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Not I, necessary is necessary...ie....heat, taxes, light ect.

I've cut down on other spending for entertainment and the likes.

A leaky roof repair is a necessity, until you deem it isn’t.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 02:35 PM

Yes, repairs could be moved from one category to another which I hadn't thought of. Leaky roof for me would get fixed if mine.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
I figured most people have eliminated any unnecessary spending, was wondering if they have cut into any necessary spending.

That would be no. Still spending like there’s no tomorrow. Actually I’m spending for tomorrow. Getting everything we want done to our house/yard done, so when and if I decide to retire one day, that’ll be something we won’t have to worry about.
Slowly replacing things I’ve let go on an inherited truck. Getting it back to a “nicer truck” for a back up and if anyone needs to borrow it.
Adding a new gun and ammo every quarter.
Getting another freezer to fill up with venison.

I’m lucky, blessed, whatever term you want to use in that I drive a company vehicle back and forth for work. All my trapping/hunting/fishing properties are within 10min to the gates. My kids live within walking distance. My one child still in school is about 5min away. We have everything we need in our little town which is 8min away. We save all money as far as tax returns/bonuses/OT/free government giveaways to afford to do all of the above. Regular paycheck after everything deducted (401K/insurance/etc) pays all the bills and what’s left over is saved. Trapping money and “part time” job before and after regular job, pays for fun.
We’ve lived like this for a while so this isn’t as bad as it may be for others.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 05:49 PM

If you mean buying store brand peanut butter vs Jiff, yeah, we buy the cheapest possible option on everything lately. The cracked windshield in my car is gonna stay cracked until I just can’t see anymore. Tires probably gonna wait till they are showing wires. Kids get a couple new outfits and one pair of shoes for school, other than that it’s hand me downs.

We’re trying our best to get through some rough times. But we’re fed, warm and dry.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 06:05 PM

It has definitely been hard to save much.....

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
If you mean buying store brand peanut butter vs Jiff, yeah, we buy the cheapest possible option on everything lately. The cracked windshield in my car is gonna stay cracked until I just can’t see anymore. Tires probably gonna wait till they are showing wires. Kids get a couple new outfits and one pair of shoes for school, other than that it’s hand me downs.

We’re trying our best to get through some rough times. But we’re fed, warm and dry.

I’ll be honest, that Great Value brand on just about everything taste better to me. Even their tator chips are good.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 07:17 PM

I'm retired, worked hard to save money for retirement, now I don't give a hoot, I can't take it with me so I am enjoying life by spending money on things I want.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I'm retired, worked hard to save money for retirement, now I don't give a hoot, I can't take it with me so I am enjoying life by spending money on things I want.

As you well should! My wife’s father lived like a poor man, wouldn’t run heat nor AC and died miserable, yet left this world with over $500K in the bank.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 08:09 PM

I could be dead tomorrow.
I spend money on what I can afford and desire.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 08:26 PM

We haven’t been able to get anything in savings lately, but I hope to die with a million or more in the bank. I want to leave my kids some cash. Hopefully, if I’ve done my job, they won’t need it and they can use it to buy boats and cars and four wheelers for my grand babies.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/09/22 08:33 PM

Been stashing food and everyday supply's when I catch them on sale/mark down/clearance. But then again, been doing that for decades.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/10/22 12:27 AM

My fishing boat has not seen water this year. Still putting money away, but keeping the pantry stocked with a year or more supply of food staples has been priority. We are in good shape, for the time being. Still going to follow through with vacation plans, but we will probably spend more time sleeping than sight seeing, the way it looks. At least it should be good sleeping weather in Alaska.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/10/22 01:59 AM

That’s the spirit! My sentiments too.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/10/22 02:10 AM

save while i was working for 35 years , then cancer hit retired early and was ok for the two of us , but now we are Rasing grandkids. Had big plans in retirement to hunt and fish all over, going to Alaska in a few weeks already had that pay for and a trip down south for hog too, but that will be it, kids will come first

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/10/22 02:56 AM

I did tell mine there would not be a normal Christmas this year. Told them they’d get $200 each and enjoy. Granddaughter gets $100. Me and momma gonna have ourselves a Christmas this year, lol. They’re all grown except for CJ and he’ll be happy with money…running out of things to buy for him anyways.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/10/22 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I did tell mine there would not be a normal Christmas this year. Told them they’d get $200 each and enjoy. Granddaughter gets $100. Me and momma gonna have ourselves a Christmas this year, lol. They’re all grown except for CJ and he’ll be happy with money…running out of things to buy for him anyways.

We Christmas/birthday shop year round lol. We’re always on the lookout for 50%~70% clearance items that our kids would like, when we find em we buy em and stick em in the closet til their birthday or Christmas rolls around.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/10/22 05:42 PM

Haha, the wife did that one year…and forgot about everything! She went to clean out her closet on day in March and found everything. Kids got gifts every month, lol!
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/10/22 08:01 PM

Same for me.

Re: Necessary Spending - 08/10/22 08:36 PM

I’m glad to see retiree's spending what they saved and earned. Kudos to y’all!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums