Home

Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete

Posted By: Eagleye

Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 02:34 PM

I’m putting in a new front entrance door- it’s been a disaster because the stoop was poured after the original door was mounted. I had to hold the door threshold flush with my interior flooring and thought I would add molding to the outside base but the boss said NO! Back to my theory of- it you can fix-it…feature-it, after a few design iterations she approved this aluminum threshold that I made from a patio door sill.

Here’s my question:
I’m looking for a product similar to tile mastic that I can trowel on and set new threshold in place – aluminum to concrete- any ideas other than liquid nails or tubes of PL?
Trying to get this done so I can work on my canoe trailer grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: warrior

Re: Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 02:37 PM

Many ways. The simplest are tapcon screws.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 02:52 PM

I plan to use stainless Tapcons for mounting but what you're not seeing is a tapered gap that will exist under the threshold- I can cut a shim but the stoop is irregular. If I have some type of adhesive substrate, I can draw the tapcons down until perfectly level with the door threshold
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 02:59 PM

quick creet makes a concrete epoxy repair in a tube to fill those holes

https://www.amazon.com/QUIKRETE-Com...&hvtargid=pla-440897856863&psc=1
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 03:00 PM

Your 1st picture shows that you shimmed the threshold. Those door thresholds will bend in time if it’s not against a solid surface IMO. I would use some high strength quick set grout and spend the time to get all of the surfaces so both thresholds are against a solid surface.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 03:31 PM

Tube of quality mastic warmed up in the sun. Cut a small hole in the tube and punch a hole in the foil protector.
And a air line that will fit under the doors threshold and pump it full
Use the rest to adhere the extension and screw it down
Clean up with wd40 on a rag.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 05:17 PM

`bondó or epoxy
Posted By: cattails

Re: Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Your 1st picture shows that you shimmed the threshold. Those door thresholds will bend in time if it’s not against a solid surface IMO. I would use some high strength quick set grout and spend the time to get all of the surfaces so both thresholds are against a solid surface.

Same here
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Mounting Aluminum Threshold to Concrete - 08/12/22 11:15 PM

Rip a cedar fence board to match the height at the back and another one to match height at the front.
Use PL bulldog grip to adhere the strips to the concrete. Fill the space between with expansion foam and press the threshold onto place. Secure with stainless screws to your furring strip.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums