Home

Coons eating tomatoes!!

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 11:08 AM

Lost about 25 big almost ripe tomatoes friday night, only a few now and then sporadically before that. Now that I have many getting ripe they hit em hard. Thought it was possums. Only ripe ones, no green tomatoes. Last night, 5 coon won't be back! Got my giant Beefstakes! No toasted tomato sandwich's for a couple days!! In 50+ years of gardens never had coon hit tomatoes.
Posted By: corky

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 11:50 AM

Never heard of that. I routinely throw blemished tomatoes over the garden fence and nothing touches them except slugs. My coons go straight for the sweet corn. That battle should begin shortly.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 12:00 PM

had it happen a few years ago, they do hit them hard when they decide to, last couple years they have been wreaking havoc on my corn, the woman and the neighbors are cat lovers so no steel traps allowed, caught 5 in live traps, shot 9 groundhogs eating melons and squash, a constant battle anymore.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 12:50 PM

Problem with groundhogs in town
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 01:43 PM

In past 2 weeks, coons nearly stripped a Gala apple tree over course of just a couple days. Had a couple bushel on it. Red headed woodpeckers got the rest. Both did the same thing 2 years ago. Seems to happen during extremely dry conditions, which we got X10.

Electric fence for sweet corn goes up today.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 01:49 PM

Coons have been bad in our area. Lots of locals complaining about them. I always respond its a product of low fur prices. I protect my garden and hens year round.
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 02:31 PM

Had some beautiful green beans just up for a nice fall crop. Some animal ate them off last two nights. Next year a chicken wire fence will be up.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 02:41 PM

I saw coons out in the daytime last week...not a good sign.
I think lektrik fence is the only thing to deter coons. I planted a fall garden of beans and 60 day corn in Arkansas. Hoping for the best
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/14/22 10:19 PM

I have never had coons in my tomatoes and that is for over 40 some years. They get into a lot of other stuff. we had a Golden Retrevier that would sneak in the garden and eat tomatoes, she took green ones too. I had to fence the garden for the dog more than other creatures. Now the dogs are gone and I use the chicken wire early on to keep the rabbits out. Lot of good habitat around me.

Bryce
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 05:11 AM

Is it real dry where your at? Squirrels were getting my maters last year and again this year. I was told by a friend to put a pan or bucket of water by the mater plants and it would stop. It worked. I was told they are after the water when they get into maters and other such plants.

I know you said coons, but maybe they are after the same.
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
I have never had coons in my tomatoes and that is for over 40 some years. They get into a lot of other stuff. we had a Golden Retrevier that would sneak in the garden and eat tomatoes, she took green ones too. I had to fence the garden for the dog more than other creatures. Now the dogs are gone and I use the chicken wire early on to keep the rabbits out. Lot of good habitat around me.

Bryce

Agree, never heard of a mator eating coon. Coons are not your problem.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 06:25 AM

They like them here. When half red they will eat them.

We grew some peaches. A huge fat Coon sat in the tree eating peaches while we picked the rest.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 08:46 AM

In my case it's not lack of water, my garden is 150 foot from a lake. 8 coons so far, all removed from perimeter of the garden in one night.
Posted By: huntcook

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 12:59 PM

I'm 76 years old this is the first garden they have bothered, .I have herd they love Merlin fly bait mixed in a pan with Mountain Dew.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 01:39 PM

Some years my dogs actually start eating tomatoes right off the plant. Not sure what triggers it.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I saw coons out in the daytime last week...not a good sign.
I think lektrik fence is the only thing to deter coons. I planted a fall garden of beans and 60 day corn in Arkansas. Hoping for the best

Arkansas? I thought you lived in Nebraska...I mean Florida... I mean what the heck, man? You live in 5 different states or what? LOL
Posted By: DWC

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by huntcook
I'm 76 years old this is the first garden they have bothered, .I have herd they love Merlin fly bait mixed in a pan with Mountain Dew.

Around here its Golden Malrin and Coke. Sucks when coon were worth something and an awesome farm goes quiet and the farmer tells me why. Cant blame them i guess, they want them gone in the summer and dont wanna wait for me in the fall. Problem is coon arent the only thing that likes a sweet treat.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Coons eating tomatoes!! - 08/15/22 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by huntcook

Poisoning wildlife is a FEDERAL offense !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums