Home

Something to plant for waterfowl

Posted By: larrywaugh

Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 05:06 PM

I have a pond that is very low due to drought. Is there something a can plant this late around the edges that will attract ducks? If we get some rain this fall it should be covered with water.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 05:08 PM

Cattails
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 05:10 PM

We used to plant Jap millet. Just remember, when hunting ducks over planted it CANNOT be manipulated in any way. We were checked and “warned” even walking through it to get to a spot is “manipulation.”
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 05:10 PM

Golden millet
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 07:15 PM

Millet is one thing I had thought of. I have never planted it but I know some one who has.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 07:30 PM

I'm interested in the same topic as I'm implementing a wetland restoration project- Delta waterfowl is a great source in addition to the Wetland Management for Waterfowl pdf by the USDA/NRCS- I'll try to attach the link below.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs142p2_016986.pdf
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 08:59 PM

I plant a lot of Japanese Millet for ducks. Depending on on the weather, you might squeak by before first hint of a frost
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 09:10 PM

When I say we “planted” it means we each had a bucket and hand scattered it on the exposed areas of the swamp.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/14/22 11:27 PM

From my experience here I’d stay away from rice, there’s a lake here that is almost over taken by it, millet grows pretty well here and doesn’t want to take over the pond.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/15/22 12:24 AM

Buckwheat is good, but it needs to be planted right away. 60 day maturity.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/15/22 08:29 PM

Plant aquatic smartweed this year and overseed with Jap millet
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/15/22 09:54 PM

Cat tails, and Bull Rush will eventually cause the pond to fill in from the vegetation dropping to the bottom. Check with Kansas DNR and see what grows well in that flat dry country you have. Likely you'll get duck weed and water meal naturally, if you don't already have it.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/15/22 10:01 PM

Check out Kesters Wild Game Foods for other planting options or Ernst Seeds.

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/16/22 11:11 AM

Has anyone planted Button Brush? Highly preferred for waterfowl and might be good for Larry's application- It's on my list to research but I have no experience with it.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/16/22 12:06 PM

Rice and only rice. Stratified wild rice to be exact. Plant the appropriate amount per acre and leave yourself some areas unplanted to have some open water

Millet must be broadcast in inches of water or on dry mud. What happens with this is that the birds and deer get to it as it grows and by the time duck season rolls around and you flood your pond back out most of the millet has been eaten

Wild rice is the only native planting to North America. It is in a duck's DNA to love it and they will go crazy to get to it

Rice will also come back each year if your winter is cold enough. If the water stays around a freezing temperature for a lengthened time the stratification will take place and it will come back on its own. For hot winters like we have in NC it has to be planted each year

Stratified wild rice can be broadcast in the water and will sink to the bottom and grow. It will grow in up to 3 feet of water, so no need to drain/flood your pond like you have to do to have a good millet growth. It can also grow on mud where your pond is low

It is way past time to plant though, rice must be planted in the spring by April

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/16/22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Rice and only rice. Stratified wild rice to be exact. Plant the appropriate amount per acre and leave yourself some areas unplanted to have some open water

Millet must be broadcast in inches of water or on dry mud. What happens with this is that the birds and deer get to it as it grows and by the time duck season rolls around and you flood your pond back out most of the millet has been eaten

Wild rice is the only native planting to North America. It is in a duck's DNA to love it and they will go crazy to get to it

Rice will also come back each year if your winter is cold enough. If the water stays around a freezing temperature for a lengthened time the stratification will take place and it will come back on its own. For hot winters like we have in NC it has to be planted each year

Stratified wild rice can be broadcast in the water and will sink to the bottom and grow. It will grow in up to 3 feet of water, so no need to drain/flood your pond like you have to do to have a good millet growth. It can also grow on mud where your pond is low

It is way past time to plant though, rice must be planted in the spring by April

It sure seems like the most logical choice- in the link I posted above they reference- Duck usage per day, it shows how many ducks per day can be supported by one acre of plantings- Rice far above all others listed. Invertebrates become increasingly important in addition to crops.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/16/22 05:45 PM

If I were you I would do smartweed it will keep coming back
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Something to plant for waterfowl - 08/16/22 05:46 PM

Buckwheat is really good but they will eat it out to fast
© 2024 Trapperman Forums