Home

A Stranger's Kindness

Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 05:41 AM

A stranger’s kindness can change someone’s day for the better. I don’t have very many people who trap around me and joining this forum in June has changed my trapping experience for the better. I love hearing the stories and I also like asking questions even though most of the time it's close to the same question. I have always gotten very good answers and multiple people in particular who I won’t mention but they know who they are have been very good to me. I want to thank the whole of Trapperman for answering all of my questions and telling me these stories. Thank you so much for all of this as I don’t think I would be able to run my line as effectively this year without your guys’ help.

-TheYouthTrapper
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
A stranger’s kindness can change someone’s day for the better. I don’t have very many people who trap around me and joining this forum in June has changed my trapping experience for the better. I love hearing the stories and I also like asking questions even though most of the time it's close to the same question. I have always gotten very good answers and multiple people in particular who I won’t mention but they know who they are have been very good to me. I want to thank the whole of Trapperman for answering all of my questions and telling me these stories. Thank you so much for all of this as I don’t think I would be able to run my line as effectively this year without your guys’ help.

-TheYouthTrapper

Stick around, it's only gets better! Wait till you get to a convention or gathering and meet some of us knuckleheads in person!! laugh whistle Never stop learning!!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 10:03 AM

Ask all the questions you have.
I enjoy your posts. Run your line , learn, and have fun Youth Trapper. You exuberance for trapping is just what this forum and our sport need
Posted By: newfox1

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 11:06 AM

Wanting to be a trapper now says something about your character.There’s a lot to learn, I learn a lot on t-man. Good luck!!

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

Stick around, it's only gets better! Wait till you get to a convention or gathering and meet some of us knuckleheads in person!! laugh whistle Never stop learning!!

I can't wait to go to the SD one this year, might make it to NTA next year and definitely the year after.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Ask all the questions you have.
I enjoy your posts. Run your line , learn, and have fun Youth Trapper. You exuberance for trapping is just what this forum and our sport need

I haven't had very many questions lately but I'll probably have some soon enough. I just got permission on a bunch more sloughs for muskrats, so need to go scout those out and see.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by newfox1
Wanting to be a trapper now says something about your character.There’s a lot to learn, I learn a lot on t-man. Good luck!!

In just 2 months, I have learned a lot more about trapping than I have in 3 years. Good luck to you too!
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 07:29 PM

TheYouthTrapper You have an eye for detail. You'll be a real pro!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 07:30 PM

There are a lot of good, experienced trappers on Tman who are willing to share their expertise. It's a great site. You got that right!

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
TheYouthTrapper You have an eye for detail. You'll be a real pro!

Thank you, I hope to be a pro one day but only the future will tell.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
There are a lot of good, experienced trappers on Tman who are willing to share their expertise. It's a great site. You got that right!

There are lots of trappers on here that are very good at what they do and it's awesome to see how they catch their furbearers.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 09:51 PM

Trapperman is a blessing for all of us!!!!
Posted By: Snyderbwh

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 10:01 PM

I trapped many years ago and have gotten back into it. I find that on this sight you can ask all the questions you want, and someone will answer them or at least point you in the right direction. I've learned a lot of information off here and still learn something new, everyone is great on here. Just this past spring or early summer I attended my first trapper Renaissance close to my home, my wife went with me she's my big supporter and has never trapped, but we found it very interesting and a lot of information.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/15/22 10:52 PM

If one can attend the demos there is a lot more to be learned there as there are things one does out of habit without even thinking about it. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 12:15 AM

Not sure if you’ve checked out the archives, but you could spend a month and never leave them. A wealth of info there. I still go there to look things up I might need a refresher on.
And you are correct, I’ve gotten great advice just through PM’s on this site as well. Mr Paul doesn’t realize the impact this site has had on a lot of folks that knew little to nothing and now catching enough critters to make a little money at it.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Snyderbwh
I trapped many years ago and have gotten back into it. I find that on this sight you can ask all the questions you want, and someone will answer them or at least point you in the right direction. I've learned a lot of information off here and still learn something new, everyone is great on here. Just this past spring or early summer I attended my first trapper Renaissance close to my home, my wife went with me she's my big supporter and has never trapped, but we found it very interesting and a lot of information.

Last fall I went to my state's convention for maybe an hour total but this year I'm going down for the whole day and I'm probably going to talk a lot of the dealer's ears off asking questions.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Drifter
If one can attend the demos there is a lot more to be learned there as there are things one does out of habit without even thinking about it. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Sadly the demos this year aren't going to be the best but there is a few that I'll attend and watch.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Not sure if you’ve checked out the archives, but you could spend a month and never leave them. A wealth of info there. I still go there to look things up I might need a refresher on.
And you are correct, I’ve gotten great advice just through PM’s on this site as well. Mr Paul doesn’t realize the impact this site has had on a lot of folks that knew little to nothing and now catching enough critters to make a little money at it.

I tried looking at the archives and I got a little turned around, might try to find it again tonight. I've been doing a lot of math lately and think I could actually turn a buck this year trapping.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 11:53 AM

One of the reasons I enjoy trapping is because there is always something new learn or a better way to do something .I have been trapping for about 50 years and there is a lot more I do not know about trapping than I do know about it .This website is a place to go to find answers to any question you might have . And the members that make up this website are helpful and willing to help other trappers

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
One of the reasons I enjoy trapping is because there is always something new learn or a better way to do something .I have been trapping for about 50 years and there is a lot more I do not know about trapping than I do know about it .This website is a place to go to find answers to any question you might have . And the members that make up this website are helpful and willing to help other trappers

They're very helpful and it's amazing when they go above and beyond and give a lot of detail.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

I tried looking at the archives and I got a little turned around, might try to find it again tonight.

Here ya go - https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm/c/3

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

Thank you, Paul!
Posted By: charles

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/16/22 08:58 PM

Lot of good caring people in this group.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 12:14 AM

If one is looking for strangers, there's no better place to look than in this place smile
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 01:04 AM

Great people and will answer any questions even my dumb ones.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 01:15 AM

I'm going back to the 70's when I was a kid and nobody shared squat!
Posted By: Foxlaketrapper

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 01:32 AM

I have given many demos and I always think if you learn 1 thing in a demo it was worth giving it. I was like you at one time. I think I learned more at demos that I thought I would learn nothing at than ones I planned on learning alot. Hope to meet up with you at winner sd this fall. I will be the guy running the auction so you should be able tofind me.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 03:33 AM

Keep at it everyday is a day for learning. Lean on some us old guys that been at it for a while. We will try and help where we can.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22

I've heard this a lot and I can't imagine if I didn't have the guidance that I have gotten from people what all I would be doing wrong.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Great people and will answer any questions even my dumb ones.

Very true, I have asked some dumb questions too.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Foxlaketrapper
I have given many demos and I always think if you learn 1 thing in a demo it was worth giving it. I was like you at one time. I think I learned more at demos that I thought I would learn nothing at than ones I planned on learning alot. Hope to meet up with you at winner sd this fall. I will be the guy running the auction so you should be able tofind me.

I should be there all day Saturday and maybe a little bit on Friday so I don't have to drive early in the morning. It seems like all of the good demos are on Friday this year but sadly I can't miss a day of school to go to a trapping convention.

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Keep at it everyday is a day for learning. Lean on some us old guys that been at it for a while. We will try and help where we can.

Speaking of learning, I go to my mentor's place tomorrow to figure out why my colony trap's doors don't work. I try to learn as much as I can from you guys.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22

I go back to the 60's and that was my experience .In some cases I was doing things wrong and just went on for quite awhile until I learned to do them right .The willingness to share info is perhaps the most significant change in trapping during my time
Posted By: run

Re: A Stranger's Kindness - 08/20/22 12:12 PM

I'm glad to hear things are working out for you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums