Home

Antelope time

Posted By: nvwrangler

Antelope time - 08/19/22 01:28 AM

Picked up a first come first served antelope tag for a unit an hour from home that ive hunted several times before. Talk about scrambling to get ready season starts Monday.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 01:29 AM

Take pics and give a good write up afterwards…you will be graded accordingly, lol!

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 01:34 AM

[Linked Image]

Sons archery antelope from the same unit about 10 years ago. This is more of a solo meat hunt needed a reason to hit the desert for a few days to unwind. Ill try and come through with pics.

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 01:35 AM

And a story. A story is no good without pics and pics are no good without a story! I want to live it when I read it!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 01:52 AM

Something I have not had the chance to do. I'm jealous. Have a great time.

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 03:02 AM

If you apply in nevada and can travel on short notice its a good way to get a tag especially if you don't have a ton of points that would get burned
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 03:36 AM

Antelope Hunting is about my Favorite
Posted By: RFrame

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 03:43 AM

Me and my son both drew this year on a joint app in southern NM down near Roswell. It’s his first pronghorn hunt so he is pretty excited. Leave tomorrow, about a five hour drive and hunt starts Saturday. We shot both our rifles this evening to make sure they are zeroed. We have 2 of the 10 tags in a pretty good unit. I probably won’t sleep much tonight
😁😁😁

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 03:48 AM

Congrats sounds like a great time Rframe. My unit isn't a known trophy area more of a meat hunt and get some desert time.

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 03:59 AM

You never know, maybe you’ll find an 80 incher on your meat hunt! Good luck and hope to see some pics!
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 10:35 AM

Something I never thought I'd like to hunt til I spent a little time in eastern Wyoming. Fell in love with that type of terrain and the thought of what it'd be like to hunt it. Probably never happen, but.........
Posted By: murderspolywog

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 01:50 PM

Good luck on the antelope hunt. Can I ask what zone you pulled? I pulled 181-184 horns shorter then the ears. Antelope is my second favorite big game animal to hunt, and eat.

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by murderspolywog
Good luck on the antelope hunt. Can I ask what zone you pulled? I pulled 181-184 horns shorter then the ears. Antelope is my second favorite big game animal to hunt, and eat.

I got a 015 horns longer then ears tag, antelope is my favorite to eat but I'd rather hunt elk any day. Last year I won a raffle tag for antelope in 075 and my wife eat there entire antelope before I even got any she was doing low carb and it sure didn't last long lol.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 04:07 PM

Speed goats are sure fun to hunt but August seems early for hunting them.

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 05:08 PM

Archery season here is Aug 1 thru 21 and rifle season is Aug 22 thru Sept 7 then they have the shorter then ear seasons

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 05:12 PM

I won a tag last year in a raffle, took the youngest grandkids with .

[Linked Image]

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 07:37 PM

That’s a nice buck NVwrangler!

Our archery seasons are the beginning of August then they have a two or three rifle seasons depending on the unit and they are 3 day hunts. It’s typically in the 90’s during antelope season but this weekend is supposed to be mid 70’s to low 80’s, overcast, and possibly raining. I’m still taking a huge pelican chest cooler with 6 blocks of ice to make sure and get the meat cooled quickly.

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 07:43 PM

It was super smoky last year and we haven't had any smoke to deal with until today, What the Heck?
Posted By: murderspolywog

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 08:44 PM

I pulled 031 3 years ago the smoke was terrible. Could not see more then a mile or two. The kids had fun fishing, and camping but I could not close the deal on a antelope that year. Never hunted up in 015 I keep putting in for a muzzleloader tag but have not pulled it yet.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Antelope time - 08/19/22 11:53 PM

Super excited as well. Antelope are so fun to chase. I got an either sex tag for MT and WY. Ive been doing pretty good spot and stalk with the longbow, but if i cant get it done with the bow ill use my restocked smokepole. Good luck out there. Antelope stir fry tonight!

[Linked Image]

Re: Antelope time - 08/20/22 12:31 AM

Nice goat he carries his mass well

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 05:31 PM

What started out as a very stressful weekend ended up a successful hunt with my son. My dad and brother in law also joined us so that made it even more memorable. I try to invite my old man every chance I get, he always keeps us entertained and I know when the day comes and he can’t go anymore I will miss his company.

We started out Saturday morning finding a nice buck but passed on him since it was early the first morning and I was confident we would see plenty more. About 2 hours later we ended up getting caught in a flash flood and got my truck stuck for about 4 hours. I was able to get ahold of a friend that grew up near where we were hunting and he sent his dad to pull us out. After 30 minutes of pulling and jerking with another 1 ton Cummins my truck finally came out and we continued our hunt. It rained on us most of the day and we only saw one other buck and no does until about 5 o’clock Saturday eve. We were driving down a county road and about 50 yds off the road was a nice buck laying down. I drove past him a little ways and turned the truck off. We eased out of the truck and just off the road and got my son set up for about 100yd shot. He thumped him the buck jumped up ran about 100yds and piled up. The next morning we got up and went back to where we’d seen the buck the morning before that we passed on. We found him again close to where he was the previous morning and we’re able to get within 300yds. One shot with my 270 Wthby Mag and both tags were filled and we were headed home. Getting stuck was miserable at the time but made it a hunt I will never forget.

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 05:37 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That road we were stuck on went from a decent road to a river in about 15 minutes and completely washed out one side of the road. Hard rain in the desert is no joke!

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by D.T.
Super excited as well. Antelope are so fun to chase. I got an either sex tag for MT and WY. Ive been doing pretty good spot and stalk with the longbow, but if i cant get it done with the bow ill use my restocked smokepole. Good luck out there. Antelope stir fry tonight!

[Linked Image]

Very nice

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by RFrame
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That road we were stuck on went from a decent road to a river in about 15 minutes and completely washed out one side of the road. Hard rain in the desert is no joke!

Super Bucks
Posted By: k snow

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 06:00 PM

Sounds like a memorable hunt for sure.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 08:27 PM

Now that is a great hunt. Really makes me smile
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 08:36 PM

I'm envious. Good job men and man cubs. Hunted antelope once and it was a great time. I look forward to one day doing it again in Wyoming or Idaho.

Truck stuck and nothing to winch to is never a good thing.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 09:05 PM

Great hunts. Thanks for sharing.
Man RMF being stuck like that stinks.

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by adam m
Great hunts. Thanks for sharing.
Man RMF being stuck like that stinks.

Was it Gumbo?

Re: Antelope time - 08/23/22 11:14 PM

Great hunt! Great story, although that buck you passed the first day looked pretty nice, lol! Great pics too! I thought I was the only one that could get a truck stuck all the way to the frame, lol! 4x4 does nothing when that happens! You made some awesome memories for all involved! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Antelope time - 08/24/22 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Speed goats are sure fun to hunt but August seems early for hunting them.

Archery starts here mid August. I've only ever archery hunted them because it is a guaranteed tag while rifle or muzzleloader is all draw in Idaho. Haven't done it in a few years, but I went three years and killed three goats, two that made P&Y if I would have wanted to enter them. Not that I was hunting for a big one, either sex hunt but my goal was always just to kill a buck and them happened to be the ones I got the drop on. Killed one of the three out of a blind, but the other two spot and stalk, which is a heckuva lot funner. Great eating but it is important to get them cooled off right away. Either throw them into a creek or get them quartered and on ice right away.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums