Home

turtle trapping

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

turtle trapping - 08/19/22 11:27 PM

who's out there trying , and how are you doing , i and kim just started today [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
lets see your set up
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: turtle trapping - 08/19/22 11:35 PM

Love those net stretcher’s but I always used pvc.

Re: turtle trapping - 08/19/22 11:38 PM

i have some with pvc
Posted By: Catch22

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 12:01 AM

Not this year, still have some in the freezer. Get after it!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 01:56 AM

Man I miss setting those nets!!
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 02:04 AM

You best get that bait BELOW the water line or risk a raccoon swimming out and ripping your nets to shreds !

That and a turtle can find it far easier.
Did you use fish oil "|
How about 'play the wind ?'
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Love those net stretcher’s but I always used pvc.

Far better, IMO
and lighter
Posted By: eric space

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 07:42 PM

in 2013 I caught this snapper, took a picture and released her. I have posted her picture on here before. Today I caught her again about 2 miles away from where she was caught and released 9 years ago. Doesn't look like she got any bigger. First pic is from 2013 other 2 are from today. It's the after effect of plastic beer can holders!! Of course I released her again, in a waterway far as I could get from a highway.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 08:21 PM

Keep those turtle pics coming! I can smell em!!
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 08:22 PM

Same happens with sea turtles in Philippines but they ingest them and screws up egg production.

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 11:24 PM

nothing but little ones today frown
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: turtle trapping - 08/20/22 11:41 PM

I learned to turtle trap from an old pal of my dads, the guy was from Ohio and came north to work in the automotive plants during the Depression. I haven't even set a turtle trap in maybe 10 years. Might have to limber one up and set it for a week or so. Jeez Roy, based on the photo of bluegills you showed a day or so ago, you have plenty of turtle bait!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: turtle trapping - 08/21/22 12:04 AM

I used to catch them on jugs, bank lines and such. I got interested in trapping them from here and I really enjoy it. I'm not a big time guy, I just catch enough to eat for a spell. I owe my success to Eric Space. He took the time, a lot of time, and shared his knowledge with me. Thanks Eric!!

Also, I got some traps from Beaverfoot and he not only makes great traps but also is great after the sale. Thanks to Dave too!
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: turtle trapping - 08/21/22 03:29 AM

Those net traps sure are nice. I was taught by grandpa to make traps out of woven wire so the small ones get out. They are bulky but work good.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: turtle trapping - 08/21/22 05:33 AM

Looks cool, and I've never tried turtle meat. I've heard it's good. I did get asked to trap titles by one of my beaver clients.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: turtle trapping - 08/21/22 05:56 AM

Been trying to dabble but eh ,lots dry rotted nets and it's a pain doing turtle work out of a car due to gas. Did some repairs though
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Got it watch some get caught like this guy though
[Linked Image]

Re: turtle trapping - 08/22/22 12:16 AM

well got a keeper today 16 inches [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
looks like we will have turtle chowder for our trappers meeting Thursdays afternoon
© 2024 Trapperman Forums