Home

Chick starter

Posted By: Gary Benson

Chick starter - 08/20/22 12:05 PM

I see TSC has Purina and Nu-Mor at quite a price difference. What do y'all use? I'm guessing Purina is better.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 12:08 PM

When I buy it here I get LoneStar brand

Compare the ingredients on those 2 you listed, if no significant difference, go with the less expensive one
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 02:30 PM

The relatively cheap,16% protein, chicken layer that I use switched from using roasted soybean meal as the protein source, to urea as the protein source and the number of quail eggs I am getting dropped by 90%. The actual ingredients do matter, not just the total nutritional levels contained.

Keith
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 02:34 PM

urea = dried poultry manure
and probably some treatment junk coming through effecting the birds digestion
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
The relatively cheap,16% protein, chicken layer that I use switched from using roasted soybean meal as the protein source, to urea as the protein source and the number of quail eggs I am getting dropped by 90%. The actual ingredients do matter, not just the total nutritional levels contained.

Keith

What????

The only thing that can use urea for a protein substitute is cattle. I would be asking some serious questions most likely through a state agriculture inspector. The feed has to meet the specs on the tag and I don't see how it can with urea in it.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 03:12 PM

This year I found a farm that mixes feed, I had all the this years chicks on fine ground 16% layer, All are doing fine. He was getting 12.50 a 50#, As of August, It went out to 14.50 a 50#
Posted By: Bob

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 03:30 PM

I used Purina non-medicated. I’m no expert but I lost zero out of 25 chicks this spring, so must have done something right.

Well, zero until the ravens found their way into the coop.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 04:36 PM

When I was buying feed at TSC, up until about 6 months ago, I was using Dumor.

I switched when I found out the local feed store has a locally produced brand for cheaper than I was paying. AND they load it in my truck for me, lol.
Posted By: run

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 04:58 PM

You would be surprised what goes into poultry feed these days. I have visited the local poultry feed mill.

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 10:09 PM

When I first saw this thread;I wondered if it was drink you serve Saturday night to get a CHICK started
but not seeing anyone else is on that slippery slope
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 10:59 PM

Yes and even in cattle the amount of urea in the ration is very small. I would be reviewing that label very closely. It is the organisms in the cows guts thawt convert the urea N to protein. Those organisms are not found in poultry.

Can you use urea in the Diet of chickens?

You can not use urea in the diets of chickens. Because the idea of ​​using urea depends on the presence of the microorganisms in the digestive system in animals., Which is working to convert urea nitrogen to protein, and animal use this protein to build their tissues.

Bryce
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Chick starter - 08/20/22 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I see TSC has Purina and Nu-Mor at quite a price difference. What do y'all use? I'm guessing Purina is better.

Fireball is a good place to start.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Chick starter - 08/21/22 02:23 PM

The crumbles I buy are non medicated " Game bird " feed
But not Purina

Just because it's made by Purina does Not mean it's better
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Chick starter - 08/21/22 02:55 PM

been using DuMor feed for years with no problems.

Re: Chick starter - 08/21/22 03:26 PM

last year was there not a " health issue "prohibition from UDSA on using crushed oyster shells so the companies had to change their formulas
red tide ???
© 2024 Trapperman Forums