Home

Neighbor (across the road) is...

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 02:28 PM

Neighbor across the dirt road has his Holstein Bull out to pasture Behind a single wire E. fence

My Bull behind a 4 strand electric fence and His Bull are throwing fits insulting each other.

I believe having a Holstein Bull behind a single wire fence is a Dangerous thing

What say you?
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 02:35 PM

Only if you try to break it up.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 02:38 PM

Most dangerous if there is a pretty heifer involved.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 02:49 PM

Agree. Dairy bulls are the most dangerous (some exceptions but not many). One hot wire is a bad deal, especially with a second bull so close.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 03:12 PM

I moved mine back into a different pasture.

If I had a Bull like a Holstein Bull I'd have it in a Bull pen and bring the ladies to him.

I just think it's unsafe near the road
Posted By: rex123

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 03:13 PM

Not a good idea.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

If I had a Bull like a Holstein Bull I'd have it in a Bull pen and bring the ladies to him.

Agree and then some !!

NEVER trust a dairy bull, never..
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic

Agree and then some !!

NEVER trust a dairy bull, never..

X2

We raised beef bulls to sell when I was a kid. Never had an issue with any of them.

Dairy bulls, a different story. Took some dairy husbandry classes in college and had to work with a few. Holstein and Guernsey. Meanest animals I was ever around. They would try to get if they could and were HUGE compared to beef bulls. And by "get you" I mean kill you. Horn stubs used as weapons, and they were wicked fast. They had a ring in their nose with 20 inches or so of drop chain......was the only way to control them.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 06:25 PM

I would try to get everything that got close to me also if someone had put a ring in my nose and lead me around with a chain on it;)
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 06:37 PM

Explains why the, a, make a mommy, pills for milk cows are so valuable.
One old dairyman I trapped on really talked his up. Many generations of mild mannered,
heavy producing, and so on.
His cows came to see me often, He said curiosity and boredom.
Holstine.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 06:51 PM

Don’t know what them dang things on the WIHA areas in Kansas are, but they ain’t nice. Those jokers can spot you in full camo from several hundred yards away and will be quick to let you know that’s their pasture you’re in!
Posted By: Bob

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 07:10 PM

I hate Holsteins. Meanest bulls I’ve ever worked with. We used to move em one pen to another with loaders cause if you went in horseback you and your horse are gonna end up stomped into the dirt. Single wire electric fence is not enough, cause they’re dumb as a rock too. I wouldn’t even trust four strand electric to hold one of those if it really got on the fight.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
I hate Holsteins. Meanest bulls I’ve ever worked with. We used to move em one pen to another with loaders cause if you went in horseback you and your horse are gonna end up stomped into the dirt. Single wire electric fence is not enough, cause they’re dumb as a rock too. I wouldn’t even trust four strand electric to hold one of those if it really got on the fight.

I agree.
Just don't know what to say to that Quiet nice neighbor who's a bachelor.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 07:35 PM

Is he the kind of guy that might be open to some suggestions if you brought over some beers one evening and said “Hey, I’m a little concerned about your fencing situation for that bull over there”

Or is he the kind that’ll just get indignant and yell about how he’s been doin it that way for 40 years?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Don’t know what them dang things on the WIHA areas in Kansas are, but they ain’t nice. Those jokers can spot you in full camo from several hundred yards away and will be quick to let you know that’s their pasture you’re in!

They knew u were an out-of-stater grin

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
Is he the kind of guy that might be open to some suggestions if you brought over some beers one evening and said “Hey, I’m a little concerned about your fencing situation for that bull over there”

Or is he the kind that’ll just get indignant and yell about how he’s been doin it that way for 40 years?

I don't know how he'd react....I've never had Alcohol- so beers are out
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 08:21 PM

Wouldn't artificial insemination be safer?

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 08:23 PM

Do deer run thru you guys fences ?
Posted By: gcs

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 08:26 PM

Had a great grandfather, an experienced farmer in Bavaria got horned by a dairy bull, no antibiotics those days, he didn't make it.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bob

If 330 comes home drunk, his wife will make that bull look like puppy dog.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 08:29 PM

Tell him you noticed the bulls were having a fit and offer to help hang up some extra wire with him.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Do deer run thru you guys fences ?

Around here, a one strand electric fence would ikely be taken down by deer in one night, in multiple places.

Keith
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 08:43 PM

My brother raises Scottish Highlanders and his bull was always easy going until he got new neighbors who raised bucking stock. The bulls would always fight and destroy a hundred yards of steel drill pipe fencing. My brother suggested they both put up an electric fence on both sides of the steel fence and that seems to work. Well, if the neighbor takes care of his side....
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bob

If 330 comes home drunk, his wife will make that bull look like puppy dog.

Thumbs up
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 10:24 PM

Neighbor across the dirt road has his Holstein Bull out to pasture Behind a single wire E. fence

My Bull behind a 4 strand electric fence and His Bull are throwing fits insulting each other.

I believe having a Holstein Bull behind a single wire fence is a Dangerous thing

What say you?

I hate bulls especially dairy bulls, beef bulls can be dangerous but nothing compared to dairy bulls, my cousins were dairy farmers when I was a kid and my uncle kept a bull on the farm, as a kid that thing scared the bejesus out of me several times it killed dogs or cats that got into its pen, then came the day it got loose while all us kids were out playing in the yard, if it wasn’t for a hay wagon that was in the barn yard we managed to get under there would have been some dead or seriously injured kids and my bet would be on dead, that bull didn’t just kill things it ground them into mush, that bull kept trying to flip that wagon over to get at us, and might have eventually managed it if my aunt hadn’t heard the commotion and shot that bull dead

My uncle never did keep another bull on his farm, frankly when he came back and heard the story it’s the first time I ever seen a person turn white

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife

What say you?

I hate bulls especially dairy bulls, beef bulls can be dangerous but nothing compared to dairy bulls, my cousins were dairy farmers when I was a kid and my uncle kept a bull on the farm, as a kid that thing scared the bejesus out of me several times it killed dogs or cats that got into its pen, then came the day it got loose while all us kids were out playing in the yard, if it wasn’t for a hay wagon that was in the barn yard we managed to get under there would have been some dead or seriously injured kids and my bet would be on dead, that bull didn’t just kill things it ground them into mush, that bull kept trying to flip that wagon over to get at us, and might have eventually managed it if my aunt hadn’t heard the commotion and shot that bull dead

My uncle never did keep another bull on his farm, frankly when he came back and heard the story it’s the first time I ever seen a person turn white

Lost a neighbor a few years ago to his dairy bull. UPS man found (what was left of him) in the cow yard. And this is why many farmers got rid of their bull and went to artificial insemination.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 10:49 PM

I always felt I was a pretty good judge of what a bull was thinking. I think I was better than the average person. But I was around a few more than most people, so it gave me a chance to learn to read them. I have never seen a dairy bull I thought was mean. I may have see a few that would run over you, but I have had cows in a pasture try that twice. Herford's both times. But maybe my idea of mean is different than some peoples.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Zim

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 10:55 PM

In my experience as a land surveyor, any bull in the same section I am working in is a danger.
Over the years it has however improved my track and field abilities.
These days as my 40 yard sprint time ain't what it used to be I carry a pistol in my vest.
Bovines in general are the nemesis of the land surveyor.
MJM, those are some great photos.

Zim
Posted By: DHH

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 11:03 PM

I believe the reason for more issues with dairy bull's is the fact that from birth they've been handled by humans on a daily basis . And once the testosterone kicks in if they have a mean streek they have no respect or fear of anyone . Where as most beef are raised less hand's on and other than the occasional outlaw most can be handled

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 11:25 PM

That’s okay 330, I’ve drank enough beers for the both of us in my life lol. In fact tomorrow marks three years since my last drink.

What’s the law in your state say about putting a bullet in its head if it comes over to your property and starts wreckin up the place?

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/22/22 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife

What say you?

I believe it!

I saw one Holstein Bull go out a 9" x 24" 5' high window at a sales barn....it got out into the parking lot. Then they used bobcats to get it back into a corral
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

They knew u were an out-of-stater grin

Yep, we don't take to your kind! Although Wannabe, if I had any amount of ground to hunt you'd be welcome anytime! Problem is, with all the leased ground, I don't!
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 12:53 AM

We have a group of over 100 dairy bulls out on pasture with a single strand electric wire. Also use poly wire break wires with them. Never have too many problems with them. We do however get rid of any individuals that get too feisty.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob

and is he an SEC fan? LOL! LOL! LOL!!!!

Posted By: trapper/caller

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 01:45 AM

Let him know you have big guns to take care of "problem critters".

MJM - like the pics.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 02:44 AM

Mark, you were a rodeo clown too? Dang, you have done a lot of thrilling stuff in your life! Lived this long just on adrenaline! lol
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 03:30 AM

If the bull across the road gets through the wire just sprinkle some salt on his tail. It paralyzes them.

Moosetrot
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I would try to get everything that got close to me also if someone had put a ring in my nose and lead me around with a chain on it;)

They don't lead them by the chain. The chain is there because they drop their head when they charge, the theory is that as they start to charge they will step on the chain and jerk their nose down. It works to, I've seen them faceplant more times than I care to ever see a charge start. I worked on a dairy farm at times when I was a kid, and coon hunted it at night also. That one was Jersey's but they are still dairy bulls and mean. There were a couple dairies with holstiens not far from where I grew up and my dad worked on one and I coon hunted the other as a teenager. I think holstiens hold top prize for being mean, but there was a Jersey bull on that one farm that they used to run 20 feet of chain on his nose, rather than 20 inches. Some of them learn to avoid that short chain and even if they can avoid stepping on the long chain, when they start running it starts bouncing off the ground and hitting them in the belly and the package.
I remember when they had the one bull in the herd when they got in the milking parlor there was a 3 foot long piece of heavy steel pipe sitting there you always grabbed when you went out amongst the herd to drive the next batch of cows in (always a few new heifers that don't want to go in to get milked). You hit one of those bulls with a full swing on the poll and you can drop him to his knees, as long as he hasn't got room to build up a full head of steam before he gets to you, so that momentum keeps him going. That bull got butchered after he pinned the owner up against the pipe fence that runs around the holding area before he could get through it. Busted the owner up pretty good and sent him to the hospital.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 04:03 AM

MJM,
It was common practice to breed some dairy bull into those bucking bulls, because they were mean. And Brahma because they are jumpers and buckers. We had family that raised Brahmas and Simbas and when I was a kid we always had a beef cow and would breed it and raise a calf to butcher every year. We started out with Charleigh (sp) and bred her to a hereford, but after that we bred a lot to Brahmas because the bulls were owned by family who would bring them by. Never seen one of those Brahma bulls or their offspring that was a bit mean, but dang could they jump. We had a cow I named Firetail as a kid, she was 3/4 Brahma and would run with her tail held straight in the air. We had a six foot corral and she could clear it from flat footed inside of it. We were trying to load her up to take her down the road to a different pasture when she was a heifer and she didn't want to leave home, couldn't keep her in the corral and the cousin with Brahmas said he would bring his portable corral out with either 7 or 8 foot tall panels, "she won't jump that." Well he was right, she didn't make it the first time, but she mashed the top of it down far enough that she made it on the second try. She ended up living her whole life at home, never did go to other pastures.

Honestly, as bad a rep as dairy bulls have for being mean, including from myself, I have to say that less than half of them I have known over the years were mean, and fewer of those yet that were really rank and would try that hard to get you. But those are the ones you remember. And the percentage is a lot higher than it is in other breeds. The exception of course being those bred with meanness as desired trait.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 08:21 AM

Lots of bull here
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 12:03 PM

My neighbor runs a single stra d for his cattle. I askrd him About it once he said if ya train em to it itll hold em.

Do the pastures join?
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 12:16 PM

Yeah 4 strand won’t stop a bull if he wants to go. Personally witnessed a 500 lb bull very recently turned steer blow thru 5 strand high tensile like it wasn’t there…repeatedly. Two wires were hot. It was amazing. Running all out he barely stumbled and that fence just sprung back in place. Was disappointed and impressed with this fence at the same time.
Posted By: run

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
Lots of bull here

Well said.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
My neighbor runs a single stra d for his cattle. I askrd him About it once he said if ya train em to it itll hold em.

Do the pastures join?

There's a county dirt road between them.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 01:44 PM

What say you?

I think a cow anywhere but on my grill cooking med-rare is a dangerous thing. grin

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
Yeah 4 strand won’t stop a bull if he wants to go. Personally witnessed a 500 lb bull very recently turned steer blow thru 5 strand high tensile like it wasn’t there…repeatedly. Two wires were hot. It was amazing. Running all out he barely stumbled and that fence just sprung back in place. Was disappointed and impressed with this fence at the same time.

Part of my pastures are 4 strand High tensile. The front one by the road is 4 strand is 14ga wire all are running off a 6 joule 100 mile fencer at 10,000 + volts high volt- low amps
Posted By: k snow

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 01:49 PM

Whatever you do, don't ever shoot a Holstein bull in the sack with a pellet gun. Ain't no fence/pen/wall that is going to stop them.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Whatever you do, don't ever shoot a Holstein bull in the sack with a pellet gun. Ain't no fence/pen/wall that is going to stop them.

I did with a bb gun - mid 70s. My Great Uncle saw me and came unglued
Rightfully so...

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 03:04 PM

I can attest to that......
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout

I can attest to that......

Here I thought my cousin was the only one that did that when I used to help them out on the farm. shocked

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 03:59 PM

the real action will start when your bull starts to dry hump something, and the neighbour bull see it

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
the real action will start when your bull starts to dry hump something, and the neighbour bull see it

I'm keeping them further back in on my property

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 06:04 PM

sound carries
the AI testing collection stations always had a bull in the other pen go at it , and after 5 minutes put the test subject to work

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 06:11 PM

The Neighbor used AI for the past 24 years... I dont know what changed his thinking

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 06:39 PM

We had one guy that never used AI or had a bull. His fence had a weak spot that always seemed to open up just at the right time.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 08:21 PM

Why don't you walk over and ask him? Some reason to be scared of him?
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 08:55 PM

Good fences make for good neighbors.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/23/22 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Not Scared Jayme
Just don't want to
Offend, change neighborly relationship as it is.

I'm just doing recon via: tman suggestions

....also seeing if the Bull in His own pasture is going to bother Him...it might and he might realize that and problem solved.

It's been 3 evenings I've driven past on my wheeler spraying fence lines no bull after first week
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/24/22 12:31 AM

I have worked with several dairy bulls and Jersey bulls were the most likely to get you and they are fiesty and quick. Holsteins are bad due to massive bulk that can crush you in an instant. The necks on any bull be that beef whatever is immensly strong. I have seen them pull up sections of long bunks, posts and all so be wary. That being said well trained they learn to respect electric fence and they stay where they belong. Be it one or 4 strand if they want to go they will go. Also quite as likely for an in heat female to go through as easy as the bull. The big issue with electric is if the power goes off the cattle can sense the fence is off and they will go right through and once they go through they will keep trying and will be successful almost always.

Bryce
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/24/22 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Not Scared Jayme
Just don't want to
Offend, change neighborly relationship as it is.

I'm just doing recon via: tman suggestions

....also seeing if the Bull in His own pasture is going to bother Him...it might and he might realize that and problem solved.

It's been 3 evenings I've driven past on my wheeler spraying fence lines no bull after first week

Ok, I thought maybe he was a shoot first ask questions later type.

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/24/22 01:26 AM

My problem has always been deer or falling trees. Once we even had a drunk that didn't have a reverse so he thought he would just make my field into a circle drive.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Neighbor (across the road) is... - 08/24/22 01:35 AM

My problem has always been deer or falling trees. Once we even had a drunk that didn't have a reverse so he thought he would just make my field into a circle drive.

I had a lady in an suv with 5 kids in it go off the shoulder over correct go across the ditch up the embankment down my function taking out 8 post splitting a tree on th fence line that spun her Suv 180 and it stoped 15' on the other side of my fence facing the position direction she was going. Of course she claimed to no be speeding because she does not speed with her boyfriends kids in the car. Sure She was driving the posted 35mph and did all that!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums