Home

Any moose hunters here

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 08:48 PM

Have you ever got one? Which state or province do you or have hunted them?
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 08:53 PM

Alaska

Shot some, passed on some due to where they were!
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 08:55 PM

I drew an idaho permit in 1974. Didn’t get a moose though.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 08:56 PM

Alaska and ND
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 08:59 PM

Yessir. Hunted them in Alberta, bc and nwt. I'll be helping my son with his moose tag this fall. Figure I've probably shot 20 moose or so and don't care to ever shoot another.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 09:22 PM

I've never shot a moose myself, but have guided quite a few successful moose hunts. I don't have any desire to shoot a moose unless I have someone to pack it out for me; been there, done that.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 09:52 PM

yes -montana [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 09:54 PM

I’ve hunter Newfoundland 12 times, killed 10 bulls.
Posted By: Nsheeh

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 10:08 PM

Maine is the best bang for your buck if you can get lucky to get a tag
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 10:19 PM

Have killed a few with bow and gun in NW Ontario. About impossible to get a permit in my area now. frown
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 10:22 PM

Maine and NH, DIY.
Passed one in NH first day, never saw another.

Shot first one I saw in Maine, lol.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 10:23 PM

Moose are my favourite to eat. I have tipped several over in Sask
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 10:25 PM

2024 booked for Manitoba
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 10:27 PM

Yes, Alaska. First one and best eating one was a fork horn. Think hard about where it will drop before you pull the trigger.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
I drew an idaho permit in 1974. Didn’t get a moose though.

You were a hunter? The things you learn on the internet!
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 10:42 PM

Yes , shot two bulls in Quebec ...
Great tasting meat , enjoyable but hard work after you pull the trigger ..
Posted By: Cooncuff

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 11:25 PM

Wissmiss is actually a pretty Amazing person if all the things she did and does were to be known....Then again being from Wisconsin that should come as no surprise...CC
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 11:50 PM

3 trips, 2 bulls. Newfoundland.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 11:53 PM

I will be in about a month. First moose hunting trip---Maine!
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/23/22 11:54 PM

Bryan shot a Colorado cow, 2 years later I shot mine. 300 yards from where his fell.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 12:30 AM

Shot a bull last year in New Foundland. Fly in camp.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Bryan shot a Colorado cow, 2 years later I shot mine. 300 yards from where his fell.
[Linked Image]

That's pretty sweet looking moose habitat. If I were able to hunt moose in that kind of country I might consider hunting them.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 12:57 AM

Shot a few up here in Alaska, lots of cheap meat. I prefer caribou myself, for two reasons: I like the flavor better, and they are easier to pack. Only shot two caribou before, as caribou herds are a long ways from me.
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
Originally Posted by Monster Toms
[Linked Image]

That's pretty sweet looking moose habitat. If I were able to hunt moose in that kind of country I might consider hunting them.

Yep. In my years of hunting I have learned. Never be the youngest in camp and always have 2 apprentices with you. My nephew is 34 years old and hunted the last 20 years but I keep him as a 1st year apprentice.

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 01:30 AM

Best part is when you can drive to them.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

Who did you hunt with?
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 01:42 AM

Monster, that’s a fat one! Must have been really good eating. Middle aged FAT bulls or cows are the best eaters!
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 01:42 AM

I dream of hunting moose, especially with archery gear. Is a Newfoundland hunt affordable? And how hard is it to get a permit?

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Monster, that’s a fat one! Must have been really good eating. Middle aged FAT bulls or cows are the best eaters!

She was a 6-year-old. No calf that year, and yes awesome eating. Mine was a 5-year-old no calf, even fatter and very good eating.
Posted By: nooksack

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 03:33 AM

I go every year, and look forward to it from the time the season ends until the day we go back!

Attached picture IMG_0067 copy 2.jpg
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 03:40 AM

I have shot my Idaho bull and cow. My wife has shot her cow, she hasn't drawn bull yet.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 03:33 PM

[Linked Image]

Shot my first one quite a few years ago. Since then, I've shot several, and guided for even more. I've had two hernia operations to show for all the meat I've packed!

Pete
Posted By: Posco

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 03:51 PM

[Linked Image]
My first. I've never looked at a topo to determine how far we lugged this but it was a poke. I think our base camp was about four miles from where I shot this one. Unit 13, Fog Lakes

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 03:54 PM

Now that’s a ways. I hurt just looking at your picture.

I have passed unless it’s like my first one. Learned early…LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 03:55 PM

Years ago, about 150 miles north of Edmonton on the Athabasca river. Shot a small bull.

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 03:56 PM

[Linked Image]
Two more from the Fog Lakes area. Both bulls were shot near the base of the mountain in the right side of the picture. It was close to ten miles from the lake. We spent days lugging moose meat. Mine is the smaller bull to the right.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by nooksack
I go every year, and look forward to it from the time the season ends until the day we go back!

Great attitude When I was still physically able to; I archery hunted in W VA. We would tent camp and hunt for about two weeks each year for about 25 years .This was my thoughts of going to all the effort of getting all my gear to W VA setting up nd living in a tent for 2 weeks Whatso ever thy hand findeth to do ,do it with all thy might .For There is no work ,nor device nor knowledge nor wisdom, beyond the grave wither thou goest .I would be dog tired when I got home but within a week or two I was planning for the next year's trip

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Now that’s a ways. I hurt just looking at your picture!

We were lucky on that one. We were able to drop it off on one of the lakes that make up the Fog Lakes. It was much closer to the kill site. We couldn't get everything and everyone out in one flight so the pilot and and one of the guys flew back to retrieve it off that lake.

There were four of us on that trip with one of the guys being a newbie. He wasn't a hard-core hunter and he shut down on us in a spruce swamp and refused to move. It was well after dark and we still had a ways to go to reach camp. He just sat there and yelled at us as we tried to encourage him to move. Eventually he did but he put a real damper on things. It was probably mutually agreed among all of us that he never join us on a hunt again. I never saw him after that.

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Now that’s a ways. I hurt just looking at your picture.

I have passed unless it’s like my first one. Learned early…LOL

[Linked Image]

What I lacked in skill I made up in enthusiasm. I couldn't begin to do it today.

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 04:26 PM

The last time I put the cross hairs on a bull, I was behind my cabin and there is an old river bed and shallow pond. I heard some splashing as I walked into the area at daylight. There was a young bull and as I positioned myself for a good clear shot just before pulling the trigger I saw movement just above the bull. It was my neighbor on the bank directly above the moose. It scared the stuff out of me because he was directly above the moose and I was less than 75 yards form the moose. I waved at my neighbor and pointed at the moose, he had heard the same splashing and was looking for what it was. When I pointed he moved forward and when he saw the moose he opened his shotgun and motioned to shoot it. We talked a little later and he was grouse hunting but it shook me up to the point I passed.

The thought of where my bullet could have gone and shooting someone and especially that my neighbor and his wife were both lawyers I think I did the right thing!
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 05:18 PM

[Linked Image]

I Shoot 1-3 a year and help anybody that’s wants a moose. Just knocked this fat bull over on Sunday evening. My dad and two uncles did all the packing while me and Bobby skinned butchered and bagged the meat

[Linked Image]
Bobby’s seen a few cow hunts but this is his first time seeing a big bull down
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 05:23 PM

Awesome
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 05:52 PM

Killed a small stack of them in Alaska. About half with a bow.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

Who did you hunt with?

Red Indian Lake, at Buchanans. About in the middle of the Rock.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 07:23 PM

Typo there Bigbrownie - that would be Buchans in NFLD. if anyone is trying to look it up.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 07:46 PM

I shot my first last year in Newfoundland. Alaskan moose is on the short list of hunts to do soon. Solo or with a close friend.
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 08:54 PM

Shot a bull in Minnesota with my bow before they shut down the season back in 02.
Posted By: Gataga

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 09:59 PM

We need a few pics of dead moose smile
These were shot in 5 years in a row. I'm getting pumped for my hunt next month. We always leave Sept 20th

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 10:01 PM

Beauties.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 10:22 PM

LOVE IT! ALL!
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 10:24 PM

Nice bulls. We have the Shiras down here.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/24/22 10:43 PM

2011 Maine bull Zone 8. Saw several bulls that week, but passed on some mid 30” bulls. Took my bull the last morning in the driving rain at 40 yards with my 8mm Rem Mag. Maine moose is my favorite hunt of all the hunts I’ve been on. I’ll apply until the day I die hoping to draw another permit. Alaska moose is definitely on the dream hunt list. Moose is also my favorite wild game meat second only to buffalo.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/25/22 12:13 AM

[Linked Image]
2021 New Foundland
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/25/22 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gataga
We need a few pics of dead moose smile
These were shot in 5 years in a row. I'm getting pumped for my hunt next month. We always leave Sept 20th

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah buddy! You got life by the horns! Super nice bulls!!
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/25/22 07:57 AM

I Iive in a high moose population area, we have a two moose bag limit and a generous season that runs from Aug 1 until April. we can shoot any moose except a cow accompanied by a calf until Oct 1. Then we can.

I hunt with a buddy to share with the work. We usually shoot butcher and process three a year. One in September, one in January and one in later March or early April. We hunt for cows mostly, its much better meat, but we take young bulls early in the season on occasion.

I dont buy beef or pork and eat moose daily. I am ready to get one soon about out of meat
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Any moose hunters here - 08/25/22 11:59 AM

Exactly Jeff. If you have a choice take cows.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums