Home

Bumper crop of pears

Posted By: west river rogue

Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 12:15 AM

Last 2 yrs lots of pears on tree. Very nice this yr. I'm freezing some and told a friend to come get a few bushells [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 12:27 AM

Nice, Pears used to be high class crops, we have them all over Louisiana. In the 1500s and 1600s it was pretty popular to have pears I guess. We got a ton too, eat most, made sauce with some others.
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 12:32 AM

What variety is that tree?

I lost my "Patten" pollinator, but still have a "Luscious" and a "Summer Sweet".

When do you pick? I cannot wait until,they're ripe, as they seem rotten if left in the tree too long.

Immake pear sauce with mine and freeze it.... NO sugar needed!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 12:35 AM

I just love pear cider! I'd be taking a few bushels to grind and press. Nature's bounty
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 12:37 AM

Pear preserves on a hot buttered biscuit...Good stuff!
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 12:40 AM

DANG !!!!!!!! LOVES me some pears !!! Only tree I have of bearing age is a Kieffer. Like eating a pear along with a tablespoon full of sand. Have some Bartlett trees trying to come along. But they aren't leaping or bounding.

I did have to cut some boards this afternoon to prop up the limbs on my yellow delicious apple tree. Never saw it so jacked full as it is this year.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 12:58 AM

I have several varieties planted for deer. I will be glad when they get as big as your tree.

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Muskrat Love
What variety is that tree?

I lost my "Patten" pollinator, but still have a "Luscious" and a "Summer Sweet".

When do you pick? I cannot wait until,they're ripe, as they seem rotten if left in the tree too long.

Immake pear sauce with mine and freeze it.... NO sugar needed!

It was here when I bought this place in 93.....Im thinking an asian pear but not sure. Very sweet
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 01:31 AM

My mom used to make pear honey out of pears and pineapple.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 01:50 AM

Last year was a very good year for pears here. This year is surprisingly even better. I have 5 pear trees I planted in 2013 and 2014. I had to start picking pears over a week ago because my pear trees' once vertical branches are now on the ground. The first pears went for cider for me and butter for Diane. I picked 2 more buckets of pears, some apples, peaches, catawba grapes and elderberries today. I have 1 bucket of pears cooked soft and cooling on the stove, that will go through the Victorio soon. I have to pick and process more pears tomorrow.

Keith
Posted By: warrior

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton

X2
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 02:01 AM

KeithC.... PLEASE talk to me about the Victorio!!

I've been peeling and coring these devils for the past 8 years.... Is this a straining system that allows you to quarter the pears and just cook them and strain the peelings and seeds out of them? I'll have to snap a 450 on my hand if that's the case!!!!

There ought to be a cooking/food forum on TMan.... I think it wold get a lot of traction.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 02:03 AM

I have noticed all the pear trees in this area are heavy with them this year also. There used to be an ancient pear tree on the farm here, but a high voltage line came thru and even though it was out of their right of way , they tore it down a couple of years ago. It was a deer magnet
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 03:27 AM

European pear varieties need to be picked before they are fully ripe and then be allowed to ripen on the counter (in storage). If you let them ripen on the tree they will rot from the inside out. Asian varieties need to fully ripen on the tree.

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 04:14 AM

I've been peeling and coring these devils for the past 8 years.... Is this a straining system that allows you to quarter the pears and just cook them and strain the peelings and seeds out of them? I'll have to snap a 450 on my hand if that's the case!!!!

There ought to be a cooking/food forum on TMan.... I think it wold get a lot of traction.

That's exactly what it is. I just cut the stem and blossom end off of the pears. Cut the pairs in quarters. Put them in a very large sauce pan. Add a very small amount of water. Cook the pears until they are soft. Strain off the extra fluid for cider and run the pairs through the Victorio. It works great for apples, grapes and tomatoes too. You can even make mashed potatoes with it.

Keith
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 04:41 AM

Very Nice big ole' tree

Mine are young...maybe next year I'll get a pear

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 09:03 AM

You're right Keith last yr was a big yr also but this yr better pears without blemish. I smell coyote pee around it yearly when they are dropping. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/24/22 12:10 PM

https://www.squeezostrainer.com/

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/27/22 10:46 PM

These pairs are currently ripe on 2 trees.

[Linked Image]

These 3 trees will be ready around the end of the month.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All of my pear trees' branches were nearly vertical before this season. I've picked a lot of the ends. I'm hoping I can get the branches to go vertical again.

I have an 8 and a 16 quart sauce pan of pairs on the stove cooking soft to make more juice, sauce and butter.

Keith
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/27/22 11:29 PM

There is it's called "Cooking on the wild side"
Go to the top of this page, hit the HOP TO button and scroll down
Posted By: Tooltime

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/27/22 11:51 PM

My wife makes an amazing pear pie. Better than any Apple pie
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/28/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
These pairs are currently ripe on 2 trees.

[Linked Image]

These 3 trees will be ready around the end of the month.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All of my pear trees' branches were nearly vertical before this season. I've picked a lot of the ends. I'm hoping I can get the branches to go vertical again.

I have an 8 and a 16 quart sauce pan of pairs on the stove cooking soft to make more juice, sauce and butter.

Keith

Keith , do you ever find what as a kid we called sugar pears?
They were small green/brown only about 1/4 the size of most pears.
Mom canned then with spices , and haven't had them in over 50 years.
Never seen another tree like it either.

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/28/22 01:04 AM

Ohio Wolverine, my great, great Uncle Ed, who was 106 when he died, had a sugar pear tree in his backyard in Piqua, Ohio that was several feet in diameter. His house was built in the early 1800s. I don't know how old the tree was, but it was likely very old. The tree got tens of thousands of tiny, brownish sugar pears on it. They were the best tasting, sweetest pairs I have ever eaten. The tree was very tall and wide too and the pairs would be 8" or more deep under it in places. The lower branches were so wide I could walk on them without having to hold onto anything. It was an amazing tree.

My aunt Linda, who lived in one of the two houses on the lot, disliked the tree because of allthe yellow jackets, which came for the pears.

There were massive apple trees too, bigger than almost any apple trees I have seen since.

Ed died around 1981. Shortly afterwards the property was sold and the house and probably the tree was bulldozed to build a very big house.

Keith
Posted By: midlander

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/28/22 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
I just love pear cider! I'd be taking a few bushels to grind and press. Nature's bounty

My dad always threw pears in the mix of apples when pressing cider. ..it was delicious

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/28/22 03:03 AM

Ohio Wolverine, my great, great Uncle Ed, who was 106 when he died, had a sugar pear tree in his backyard in Piqua, Ohio that was several feet in diameter. His house was built in the early 1800s. I don't know how old the tree was, but it was likely very old. The tree got tens of thousands of tiny, brownish sugar pears on it. They were the best tasting, sweetest pairs I have ever eaten. The tree was very tall and wide too and the pairs would be 8" or more deep under it in places. The lower branches were so wide I could walk on them without having to hold onto anything. It was an amazing tree.

My aunt Linda, who lived in one of the two houses on the lot, disliked the tree because of allthe yellow jackets, which came for the pears.

There were massive apple trees too, bigger than almost any apple trees I have seen since.

Ed died around 1981. Shortly afterwards the property was sold and the house and probably the tree was bulldozed to build a very big house.

Keith

I wonder if these are the same pear.
They seemed to ripen in late summer , but don't ever remember them still on the tree as long as these.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/pear/what-is-a-seckel-pear-tree.htm

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/28/22 04:38 AM

Once we had a water fight with my aunt, after we picked the pears. It was definitely before school started and probably late July or early August, because we were staying with our grandparents for the week.

I have some wild apple trees on my farm that usually ripen in mid-July and those apples by the pear tree were similar.

What are sold as sugar pear trees now have much larger pears with a red tinge. These pears were tiny, very pear shaped and brown. They were very sweet, almost candy like. I wish I had some clones of that tree. I suspect they would make great alcohol, especially if blended with the early apples.

Keith

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/28/22 04:55 AM

Ohio Wolverine, the sugar pears were colored like a Bosc pear, but smaller and from the write ups, much sweeter. Is that how you remember them?

[Linked Image]

Keith

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 08/28/22 01:15 PM

Ohio Wolverine, the sugar pears were colored like a Bosc pear, but smaller and from the write ups, much sweeter. Is that how you remember them?

[Linked Image]

Keith

That's what I remember also.
Wonder if there's any pears like that any more.
They were sweet even before they were competely ripe.
I remember the leaves were smaller also.
That picture doesn't look like them. they had green and a purpleish brown like on them.
Like the picture in the link I posted , but not quite like that.
That was the only tree like it I've ever seen.

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/17/22 11:10 PM

Today, I picked 22 gallons, around 2.4 bushels, of my later pears, to can. I think there is 80 to 90 gallons more of pears to pick.

[Linked Image]

How are everyone else's pears doing?

Keith
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/18/22 12:02 AM

Pear butter, delicious

WS
Posted By: AJE

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/18/22 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by OKforester
I have several varieties planted for deer. I will be glad when they get as big as your tree.

Sounds smart. I have some planted, but they aren't doing well. Next year I need to find some good ones.The OP's picture is cool.
Posted By: run

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/19/22 03:35 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I need to check out an orchard to see if they had a productive year.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/19/22 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton

Oh yeah. I'd eat that about any morning and save the bacon for BLTs!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/19/22 03:47 AM

My dad was an expert with Bartlett pears (maybe the others ripen the same). He would pick them at a certain stage of green, wrap each one in news paper, put them in a brown paper sack in a dark closet.
They ripened perfectly. If you let the ripen naturally they are soft and grainy.

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/19/22 08:01 AM

Diane and I went to some good friend's house tonight to can pears together. I took about 2 1/2 bushels of pears. The four of us processed a little over a bushel and a half of the pears, ending up with 41 quarts of canned pears. It was much more enjoyable to can together.

[Linked Image]

Keith
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/19/22 11:06 AM

First time since moved here the pear tree was bare. Late frost nailed the blooms.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/19/22 11:26 AM

Couple brothers I grew up with made pear wine . Barrels of it !! People came from hundreds of miles to get it.

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 09/19/22 11:48 AM

Right Keith,same here. We always slaughtered and butchered hogs and beef and chickens as a group too. Made it a good time.

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 11/23/22 05:15 AM

Today, I picked 22 gallons, around 2.4 bushels, of my later pears, to can. I think there is 80 to 90 gallons more of pears to pick.

[Linked Image]

Keith

Holy crap. I need to find some to order that will produce like that

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 11/23/22 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

[Linked Image]

Keith

Holy crap. I need to find some to order that will produce like that

They are Bartlett Pairs. I bought the 3 trees those pairs came off of at the end of season, at Rural King for I think $1.67 each. They were well over 6' high when I bought them and have had pears every year. I picked 14 in total of those 11 gallon baskets of pears.

Keith
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 11/23/22 06:03 PM

I now have 5 pear trees
Added 3 for pollination this past summer

2 are 6 years old no pears yet

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 11/24/22 06:08 AM

Bartlett, ok.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Bumper crop of pears - 11/24/22 11:31 AM

I was looking at a Pear Species from St. Lawerance Nurseries- it's called an ELY, cold hardy and drops late- they're always sold out. Anyone heard of Rifle Pears? or any recommendations for late drop pears?
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums