Home

Armenian Cucumbers

Posted By: Eagleye

Armenian Cucumbers - 08/25/22 03:15 PM

Every year I plant one new item in the garden (not new-just new to me) - My wife said she prefers this over Straight 8' and wants to plant them again. They're probably about as Armenian as German Potatoe Salad is German. If you haven't tried them, you might want to add them to next year's list.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Armenian Cucumbers - 08/25/22 04:14 PM

Interesting, but they look a bit big for slicers.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Armenian Cucumbers - 08/25/22 05:25 PM

Where did you buy the seeds?
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Armenian Cucumbers - 08/25/22 05:36 PM

I got seeds from Jung- I normally pick them smaller but this one was just fine, they’re super crisp with small seeds.
They grow well or best on a trellis according to the package- that’s how I grew them.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Armenian Cucumbers - 08/26/22 12:04 PM

Armenian cukes (supposedly they're actually a form of immature melon) have much smaller sized seeds even when they get big. They usually get exceptionally long before they get overly fat. I think their flesh is a bit firmer than typical slicing cukes. I sell the longer ones for 50% more each than standard slicing cucumber at our local "farmers" market. Just have to get over the novelty aspect of them with people. The stinking bunnies ate the bases off about half the plants on that trellis so I have less this year than I expected.
Posted By: hdwolfer

Re: Armenian Cucumbers - 08/26/22 12:28 PM

Been growing them for years. They don't have don't give you the burps like Straight 8's do. I tried the striped Armenian cucumbers this season, I'm not liking them compared to the ones you are showing. I had one solid green one get away from me one time and it was 32" long by the time I found it. I tried growing them on a square trellis last year and that turned into a royal mess. Maybe a flat style trellis would be better. Had so much vines I couldn't find them easily. Went back to just letting them grow on the ground and spreading.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Armenian Cucumbers - 08/26/22 05:23 PM

I got those same ones from Jungs this year Eagleye, I think they were a free trial packet.
Just picked a few of them today.

Zim
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Armenian Cucumbers - 08/27/22 01:40 AM

A common size, some are longer and skinnier and some get fatter, Armenian cucumber against a 20 oz bottle of pop. Some critters were chewing on the bottom of this one as it hung from my trellis so I'll cut off the bottom 6 inches or so and still have plenty of cuke meat with what's remaining.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Armenian Cucumbers - 08/27/22 02:24 AM

We've grown them for years. We pick them when they are about 12", cut in half, spoon out the seeds, cut up, water/vinegar.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums